Last Resort

MNK

King's Dry Cleaner
So, what do you guys think about this game?

Although it was released in '92, only 42 megabits, overall the graphics still looks good imo. It might seem alot like R-type at first but plays quite differently because of the rotating 'unit'. The levels are great, the 2nd are my fave, but the bosses are too easy. I thought it had more than 5 stages but apparently not, it does have a second loop though.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I love the game. Definitely one of the overlooked Neo classics. It also tends to be forgotten about when Blazing Star or Pulstar is brought up, but I think it holds it's own against either of them.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
first off: I love the game.

BUT, the slowdown is unbearable to try and play it seriously all the way through.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
The Last Resort i feel is a very underestimated game...., and by the way.. that slowdown really does help you when the screen is full of missles!! :) , back in the day i purchased this on release & thought it was well realised on the good old neo... even gave up playing r-type on the old pc-engine because of this!!... i don't think this has aged at all in a 2d sense.....The title screen is classy & the blast-off intro is cool ... the music is stunning , gameplay is just about paced right...bosses are not too defiant!... & very good graphics , nice detailing...especially on the 2nd lev when you enter in & out of the water...tip top and nice sounds...this bit looks better than on pulstar any day! :D .....and it won't break the bank either!! :kekeke:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
NEO GOLD said:
The Last Resort i feel is a very underestimated game...., and by the way.. that slowdown really does help you when the screen is full of missles!! :) , back in the day i purchased this on release & thought it was well realised on the good old neo... even gave up playing r-type on the old pc-engine because of this!!... i don't think this has aged at all in a 2d sense.....The title screen is classy & the blast-off intro is cool ... the music is stunning , gameplay is just about paced right...bosses are not too defiant!... & very good graphics , nice detailing...especially on the 2nd lev when you enter in & out of the water...tip top and nice sounds...this bit looks better than on pulstar any day! :D .....and it won't break the bank either!! :kekeke:

I love the art style and the game...but the slowdown is crazy. its like using slo-mo on the old skool controllers that continuously pause your game. It just prevents me from taking it as seriously, and trying to get really good at it.

Neo Gold

pixeljunkie said:
I love the art style and the game...but the slowdown is crazy. its like using slo-mo on the old skool controllers that continuously pause your game. It just prevents me from taking it as seriously, and trying to get really good at it.
Heh heh...come on its not that bad buddy!!...btw, in the old days slowdown really used to bug me too & my mates...even if it was present in a great game we all hated it with a passion...., these days it don't really bother me... :kekeke:

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I like Last Resort alot, along with Viewpoint it's the best shooter I've played on the Neo (never played Pulstar or Blazing Star).

My gripe would be the daft looking power up icons, they all just look the same to me and I end up with the wrong weapon at a crucial time.

The slowdown was no big deal for me, it was actually helpful in places and correct me if I'm wrong but it only really gets bad when the screen gets really cluttered with enemies. So just stop being crap and kill 'em and the game should speed up again.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
What level is it with the rain? That level is like watching a series of screenshots! Seriously...I can admit I like the game DESPITE the fact that it runs like ass, but I can't believe nobody wants to admit that the game runs like poo.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
What level is it with the rain? That level is like watching a series of screenshots! Seriously...I can admit I like the game DESPITE the fact that it runs like ass, but I can't believe nobody wants to admit that the game runs like poo.

1st part of the 2nd stage.
Reminds me of the rain effect in SS1 on Wan Fu's stage.

thefub

Armored Scrum Object
I am glad there is a thread about an old school shooter like Last Resort. I enjoyed playing this better than my other Neo shooters. It has an old school feel to it with a good soundtrack. One thing I do not like is the lack of cool weapons. The weapons are just bland IMO.

I agree. This game, at times, is unbearable with slowdown and graphic glitches. With that said, it is still great fun to play.

Neo Gold

Have any of you guys 1cc'd this ?... i have not....i never continue on the neo games i think it spoils them... :D

SSS

neo retired
pixeljunkie said:

Could say the same thing about Blazing Star. Isn't exactly perfect in all areas either. Slowdown galore.

Neo Gold

True...blazing star slows down hellishly...but what the hell!! :kekeke:
Top music & gameplay on this gem of a title do you not agree?...
Btw.... but i still enjoy last resort as much as this!!!.... its a mad , mad world :kekeke:

MNK

King's Dry Cleaner
I've 1CC the first loop, but not both. I think 2-3 is my record run. You get 2 extends (1st @ 60,000 / 2nd @ 130,000) so it's quite generous.

I can fully understand that some ppl are put off by the slowdowns, I thought it was pretty shite myself at first.

Neo Gold

Nice one!! :buttrock: ...we have a major player here!!...damit!!! lev-4 kicks my butt
Will have to try it again tommorow...i must be losing my touch! :kekeke:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
NEO GOLD said:
Have any of you guys 1cc'd this ?... i have not....i never continue on the neo games i think it spoils them... :D

yup, both loops. Forgot my high score, I think it was like 540k. (there's no bonus for remaining ships, and no big bonus for finishing... so to make the most of your score you have to sacrifice all your ships on Stage 5 where you can get the most points on one life. sigh)

I always thought the default high score of 218,200 was a bit too high for people who don't play shmups that often...

and did anyone ever notice that all the initials on the default high score list are abbreviations for rappers? (I mentioned this on the DHP mailing list a long time ago)

Neo Gold

Nice one!!!.... :buttrock:
Well ya learn something new EVERY day... it is most true i do believe.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
THis is the best shootemup on the Neo. I 54ccd it not too long ago.

The CD version was amazing for me.

MNK

King's Dry Cleaner
BBH said:
yup, both loops. Forgot my high score, I think it was like 540k. (there's no bonus for remaining ships, and no big bonus for finishing... so to make the most of your score you have to sacrifice all your ships on Stage 5 where you can get the most points on one life. sigh)

I think there's only 2 restart points on stage 5. Do you remember which part gives most points, the 'ship' or the asteroidfield?

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
MNK said:
I think there's only 2 restart points on stage 5. Do you remember which part gives most points, the 'ship' or the asteroidfield?

The ship is longer and worth much more points. Just play through until the part where the ship is about to leave the screen entirely, and then destroy yourself before it disappears.

MNK

King's Dry Cleaner
Ok thanks, I have to focus on getting through both loops first though ;)

There seems to be some kind of strange rank in LR. The lasers in stage 5 will be much faster the first time you get there, but if you die once then they will be back to normal/slower. Noticed something similar on stage 3 2nd loop, the boss will move around all over the screen first time you get there but if you die he won't do it the next time. This happens on his 2nd form btw.

SSS

neo retired
Speaking of slowdown, I'd think the game would grind to a halt on stage 5 with all the asteroids. Just played through and there wasn't a hint of slowdown. Is the slowdown been put in some areas on purpose?