Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Slug, like a bullet

Votes: 55 83.3%
  • Slug, like a punch

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
I really don't know if this is common knowledge, or just stupidly obvious.

But I've many times wondered, what the SLUG stands for in Metal Slug. I even put a poll up, so we could see how much people's views differ.

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Adamaki said:
Aint never seen a metal snail...

Yeah, but the tank's nickname could point to a snail... After all, the series got animal-crazy afterwards. Camels, ostriches, elephants...

I don't know. Maybe I'm being crazy here. :loco:

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
finngamer said:
Yeah, but the tank's nickname could point to a snail... After all, the series got animal-crazy afterwards. Camels, ostriches, elephants...

Your point is well taken. Reason being all the vehicles are referred to as "slugs". Camel "slug" and whatnot. Which I think sounds stupid, but whatever.

Methinks bullet is the bestest answer on this one.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Well, normally I'd think that they're talking about the projectile, but since they refer to the vehicles as slugs on the back of the MS 3 case I gotta go with that one.

New poll option please.

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
This is the first time ever I've seen a poll that was not only unanimous, everyone voted for the logical choice.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I was under the impression that the "SLUG" in Metal Slug referred to a type of shotgun shell made of solid metal, big recoil, big damage. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Voted for bullet obvoiuosly.

What would stand for "The Lone Wolves Are Back for the Sultan of Slugs Battle Royale"* then ? Punch fest ?

* Fatal Fury 2 Euro back insert quote.

jaydubnb

Windjammers Wonder
D-Lite said:
Your point is well taken. Reason being all the vehicles are referred to as "slugs". Camel "slug" and whatnot. Which I think sounds stupid, but whatever.

Methinks bullet is the bestest answer on this one.

The best answer has to be bullet.

I'm no Slug expert, but I assume the Camel Slug has a gun attached somehow right?

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
jaydubnb said:
The best answer has to be bullet.

I'm no Slug expert, but I assume the Camel Slug has a gun attached somehow right?

The Camel Slug is pretty funny with a vulcan cannon
attached it and I like using it in the dessert mission
killing the soldiers. :D :kekeke:

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
the SLUGs are the vehicles in the game. so you are asking if its a play on words or something? i think it was simply a description of the METAL vehicles in the first game and while there were indeed non-metal animal slugs in later gamesits easier to simply keep the name.

maybe you are asking why the vehicles are called SLUGs? prolly related to ammo.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Superconducting
Low-inductance
Undulatory
Galvanometer

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
"Mental Slug" (anyone remember that)

/think I'm having one right now

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
I always assumed it refered to the Slug Tank.

Since it moves rather "sluggish", appears to be made of metal, and is rather small for a tank.

Just my odd logic...

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member
What is a fact is that the vehicles are called Slugs. And since there is a Metal Slug tank right on the title screen in more than one of the games, I think it's fair to say with all certainty that the Metal Slug series is named after the Metal Slug tank.

Now why would the tank be named Metal Bullet? Makes no sense. But it does make sense to name the tank after a slug since both are slow and both crawl (so to speak). Therefore I say it's more likely that the Slug is of the slimy variety.

I always thought it might be making fun of Metal Gear. After all both the Metal Slug and the Metal Gear are supposed to be the ultimate weapon. Of course my money's on the Gear.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Mad Mage said:
What is a fact is that the vehicles are called Slugs. And since there is a Metal Slug tank right on the title screen in more than one of the games, I think it's fair to say with all certainty that the Metal Slug series is named after the Metal Slug tank.

Now why would the tank be named Metal Bullet? Makes no sense. But it does make sense to name the tank after a slug since both are slow and both crawl (so to speak). Therefore I say it's more likely that the Slug is of the slimy variety.

I always thought it might be making fun of Metal Gear. After all both the Metal Slug and the Metal Gear are supposed to be the ultimate weapon. Of course my money's on the Gear.
;)

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
finngamer said:

lol you've got a wild imagination. Well maybe in Metal Slug 6 there will be a snail slug with twin miniguns on the side and it will be the ultimate slug! Kinda reminds me of zoids. Anyone remember those?

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Adamaki said:
lol you've got a wild imagination. Well maybe in Metal Slug 6 there will be a snail slug with twin miniguns on the side and it will be the ultimate slug!

Yeah. A SLUG Slug!

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, with my limited English (specially in 96), the only meaning of the word "slug" for me is "snail", so I always thought the name was due to that. The tank does remember me of a snail, it is armored and slow, so I thought it made sense. So I voted for snail :buttrock:

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
lol and I thought the snail was a daft option. Just shows how wrong I can be!

Anyway there is a big difference between a slug and a snail. A slug has no shell. Surely if it was named after the tank because it's slow and armoured it'd be called 'Metal Snail'!!

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Metal Slugs are blocks of metal that are then melted down and forged into something else... Think of those gold ingots they show in movies (bars) and you're on the right track.

Why they call the tanks slugs, I have no clue.

neo>all

Super nO0b
if there was an option i'd change my vote to the tanks. In the first metal slug the tanks resembled slow moving snails that were obviously metal. Another interpretation could be that you are a squishy slug and the tank is your shell. I don't know :loco: