Metal Slug help

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Sup,

I desperately need MS help. I'm trying to get into the 1cc thing and can't get past the 2nd level on either of them (1-5). Some gameplay tips/tricks would be extremely appreciated.

neo>all

Super nO0b
Diavle18 said:
Sup,

I desperately need MS help. I'm trying to get into the 1cc thing and can't get past the 2nd level on either of them (1-5). Some gameplay tips/tricks would be extremely appreciated.

practice, practice, practice, and don't forget how useful the grenades are. If you hoard them in ms1 till the final boss it will save you alot of trouble. I try and have around 30 grenades when i reach the bosses and that usually finishes them off.

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member
Try walking forward very slow throughout parts of the levels. Often this will allow you to fight the enemies in smaller groups. Also, I'd start with Metal Slug 1, it's by far the easiest.

Kiken

Camel Slug
Become one with the Machinegun. It's the most versatile weapon in the game due to its range and sweeping ability.

However, maybe it would help if you described what problems you were having in the first two stages...

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
its all pattern based, pretty much everything happens the same every time, so a lot of play will help you get better.

learn to use the grenades, you can also use the machine gun to spray diagonally, by tapping up,a,up,a sporadically and also pressing C to clear out any soldiers coming from the left or right

as soon as a tank appears, crouch and hit it with 5 grenades, poof it is dust.

keep moving all the time too.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Thanks for the help ppl, the grenade against boss thing really helped. I used to use the slug's canon all the time but crouching and using grenades instead is much faster and effective (I kill the bosses in a min or so now no probs). I'm now able to go to the 3rd level (went to 4 once but couldn't repeat it). My main areas of problem:

- At the start of the 2nd stage were you jump over the electirical things and and those guys jump down with parachutes, I almost always lose a life there.

- The baldy in the winter stage.

neo>all

Super nO0b
Diavle18 said:
Thanks for the help ppl, the grenade against boss thing really helped. I used to use the slug's canon all the time but crouching and using grenades instead is much faster and effective (I kill the bosses in a min or so now no probs). I'm now able to go to the 3rd level (went to 4 once but couldn't repeat it). My main areas of problem:

- At the start of the 2nd stage were you jump over the electirical things and and those guys jump down with parachutes, I almost always lose a life there.

- The baldy in the winter stage.

Ok in the 2nd stage don't jump over the electrical things. Crawl under them by crouching and holding forward.

On baldy try to keep your distance because he can take multiple knife wounds...you can't. His machine gun fire is fairly fast and can be shot at angles so be prepared to dodge. Just dodge and keep chipping away at him.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
neo>all said:
Ok in the 2nd stage don't jump over the electrical things. Crawl under them by crouching and holding forward.

On baldy try to keep your distance because he can take multiple knife wounds...you can't. His machine gun fire is fairly fast and can be shot at angles so be prepared to dodge. Just dodge and keep chipping away at him.

Plus if you just crawl underneath, I think you get an extra $50k after you grab
the teddy bear. Right after that grab the flamethrower, and get those guys
in the parachute out, before they get a chance to shoot you.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Taking it slow and memorizing the stages is probably the best advice. I came close to throwing my controller more times than I can count trying to 1cc MS3. Even now the last stage still test my limits.

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
I played MS1 so much that I've managed to beat the game without dying. It's not too hard once you learn all the patterns though - sort of becomes Ikaruga-like after a point!

On the 3rd level mid-boss ('baldy') the best strategy I've found is to just stay in the upper right hand side (on top of the 'cliff') and machine gun him to death, using grenades when appropriate. It takes some practice.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention, you need to preserve the machinegun ammo
that the hostage gives you at the start of the level until the mid-boss. Try not to be wasteful with it. Also, before the birds nest (close to the mid-boss) there is a place where some soldiers (eventually 5 total) will come out underneath a box...kill them all, with knife preferably, then get the box. If you did kill all of them, the box should contain extra machine gun ammo.

I have legitimate, ebay-bought copies of the Saturn and Playstation versions, and I plan on getting it for Neo-CD, but I have to recommend using your preferred emulator with savestates if you're going for mastery - Level 6, especially the bridge part require a lot of replaying to learn all the patterns and more importantly, execute properly and I think without savestates I'd still be trying to do it. I would have one at the beginning of each level, and also at 'trouble spots' such as the level 6 bridge or level 3's bald guy. If that's not an option, the Saturn and Playstation versions give you the ability to select any of the levels you've previously gotten to upon starting a game, which helps.

One invaluable technique you have to know for the level 6 boss (and I find it convenient for level 2 and 3's bosses as well) is that holding down on the d-pad and then pressing jump makes you leave the metal slug tank, but you're invincible until you hit the ground.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Thanks guys. Making major progress (the savestate thing really helped), reached the level 4 boss today. I find Mr.Sunshine much easier now, I just stay on the top ledges (switching between right and left when needed) and keep firing down on him. This way he never throws grenades at me and rarely comes close, though if he does happen to come close then I just keep jumping above his head and shooting down (this way both his machine gun and close attack miss me).

Now I'm of to practice, practice, practice.

neo>all

Super nO0b
Diavle18 said:
Thanks guys. Making major progress (the savestate thing really helped), reached the level 4 boss today. I find Mr.Sunshine much easier now, I just stay on the top ledges (switching between right and left when needed) and keep firing down on him. This way he never throws grenades at me and rarely comes close, though if he does happen to come close then I just keep jumping above his head and shooting down (this way both his machine gun and close attack miss me).

Now I'm of to practice, practice, practice.

but don't forget to have fun, fun, fun. It's all about the fun :cool: