AES scart socket mod?

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I've been contemplating installing a scart socket in my AES. Then I can have rgb video and stereo sound from the same socket and use a bog standard scart cable, which would be quite handy if I sold it.

Anyone think this is a good/bad idea?

I know MKL was saying a while ago that scart connections are prone to bent pins and stressing the socket due to their weight.

Personally I've never had a problem with scart cables. Generally I find round connectors, such as s-video are much worse. You have to be really careful to line them up when plugging them in to avoid bent pins. It'd be pretty difficult to get a scart cable plugged in the wrong way though!

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
It's not a bad idea. The only drawbacks I see is that scart sockets only come with PCB-mount terminals that aren't ideal for soldering wires (but it can be done of course) and they're not gold-plated (never seen one myself at least). Also, since they're meant to be backmounted you have to be able to cut a perfect hole in the panel or it won't look good at all. If I were to do this mod I'd use a flat cable like this instead of the usual right-angle ones:

http://www.hifistore.co.uk/images/products/l/xht611300.jpg

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I see what you mean about having to cut a perfect hole in the panel. I guess I'd just whittle it away with a dremel tool or knife until it fitted perfectly. As for the soldering problem I could get one of these right angled sockets:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=43986&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=3&doy=9m3

That would make it a bit easier to solder and anyway I wouldn't be soldering all 21 terminals, only 8 or 9, so it's not like I'd be trying to solder loads of wires onto a small area.

Thanks for the advice anyway MKL.

Hmmm... I'll think about it some more before I decide whether to go ahead or not...