15 Year Member
Blazing Star ~

1-MNK......24,956,060......Windinia......MVS

2- BBH......20,344,170......Windina......MVS

3-Lashujin.....16,150,020.....Windina.....MVS

4 twalden......9,398,440......Windina......MVS

4 Amano Jacu......6,250,250......Windina......MVS

6 Abasuto.......1,510,760......Aryustailm.......MAME

7 Kid Aphex......1,406,070......Aryustailm......?

Progear ~

1- BBH......8,977,060......1/5......MAME

2- Spike......8,005,430......1/5.....Bolt/Rivet.....PCB(JP)

3- too_short......7,385,510......1/5.......PCB

4-Gozer.......5,323,250......Rivet........PCB

5-

Last edited:

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Ok, here it is. Screenshots of the score is prefered , but we'll take your word on it ( lets try to play honest ). I've gotta get back into blazing star again, score I put up isnt worthy to show off, but it'll kickstart the thread.
score.jpg

Last edited:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Pro-Gear

7,385,510 - 1-5 - US Defaults - Playing with a US Kit - B-Beta

My last Blazing Star score was in the 3 million, but I can't recall exactly.
I will have to see if the score is still saved in my cab...

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
I sold my 1 slot board that had all of my Blazing Star scores saved. I'll have to start from scratch :(

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
1,406,070 Blazing Star Aruystalimasidmsim [whatever] Kawaks

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Kid Aphex said:
1,406,070 Blazing Star Aruystalimasidmsim [whatever] Kawaks

I now see why you like that ship. Use that flame-tip power up to amass unreal X bonus points. I just have the problem of accidently charging it up when I don't want to, stuck with no range attack at bad times.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Blazing Star
blazingstar-hi.jpg

20,344,170 - Windina - Stage 6 (on MVS)

Progear
8,977,060 - 1-5 (on MAME)

too lazy to playback my Progear recording to get a screenshot, I don't really like the game that much and stopped working on it :(

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
BBH said:
too lazy to playback my Progear recording to get a screenshot, I don't really like the game that much and stopped working on it :(

With that BlazingStar score :eek: , no worries about needing to show proof of the Progear score.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
I'll have to fire up the Blazing Star rom soon, see what I can do. I think my high score is somewhere in the 4mil range.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Here is my progear score form the shmups forums, I'll post a pic later.

Kiel - 8,005,430 - 1-5 - Bolt/Rivet - JPN PCB

But this is going to be a problem since the default difficulties are different between the US and JPN version.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Okay, now that I've played Blazing Star quite a bit (it's the first time I play it for score, btw.), I have some scoring questions for you guys (hi BBH).

So, there are the winged multipliers, and you get multiple points for chain-killing enemy ships with the charge shot + points for the bonus objects/gems or whatever they are. Anything else that I've missed?

About the ships, so far I'm in the 1.5 to 2 mil. score region using second Dino (the one with the unit). I tried Windina, but other than the bullet deflection and the wide range, what exactly makes it so good? What's more, I find it much easier to chain multipliers with the straight R Type-esque Dino charge shot. The mines of the Windina charge are quite cool, but I haven't found a good way to use them yet.

Lastly, what are your scores for the single levels? And, does the boss time affect your score, or is that just statistics?

Thank you... :)

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Takumaji said:
So, there are the winged multipliers, and you get multiple points for chain-killing enemy ships with the charge shot + points for the bonus objects/gems or whatever they are. Anything else that I've missed?

That's about it , and making sure to collect the LUCKY for the 50k bonus.

About the ships, so far I'm in the 1.5 to 2 mil. score region using second Dino (the one with the unit). I tried Windina, but other than the bullet deflection and the wide range, what exactly makes it so good? What's more, I find it much easier to chain multipliers with the straight R Type-esque Dino charge shot. The mines of the Windina charge are quite cool, but I haven't found a good way to use them yet.
I can use the Windina great if I'm trying to finish the game. Just can't use it for score. Can't get many multiple chain points with it. Try using the Aryustailm's firetip when it's fully charged. You'll have a screen filled with "X128" going non-stop. Just kinda sucks when you accidently charge it.

Lastly, what are your scores for the single levels? And, does the boss time affect your score, or is that just statistics?

in the mid 500's is my max for level 1. Yeah, you get a bonus at the end of each stage for remaining time.

MNK

King's Dry Cleaner
Takumaji said:

The boss timer do effect your score but it's so minimal it doesn't matter in the end, you should try milking them for points as long as possible instead :).

Dont remember exact scores for single levels but my record run goes something like (stg1) 600,000 -> 1,250,000 -> 8,000,000 -> 12,500,000 -> 14,500,000 -> 20,000,000 ->21,500,000 (stg7).

I'll borrow a friends digicam over the weekend and take a picture of my MVS record.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
MNK said:
The boss timer do effect your score but it's so minimal it doesn't matter in the end, you should try milking them for points as long as possible instead :).

Dont remember exact scores for single levels but my record run goes something like (stg1) 600,000 -> 1,250,000 -> 8,000,000 -> 12,500,000 -> 14,500,000 -> 20,000,000 ->21,500,000 (stg7).

I'll borrow a friends digicam over the weekend and take a picture of my MVS record.

:eek:

whoot, you and BBH are crazy. Mad props for that score, man!

600k in stage 1 alone... I must be missing something here, I always end up with about 300~400k (with all lucky bonus items). Which ships do you prefer?

MNK

King's Dry Cleaner
Takumaji said:
:eek:

whoot, you and BBH are crazy. Mad props for that score, man!

600k in stage 1 alone... I must be missing something here, I always end up with about 300~400k (with all lucky bonus items). Which ships do you prefer?

Thanks :). I've only used Windia so far, I don't think my strategies would work without her wide shots.

I'll try to grab a few emu screens later today with some strategies for stage 1.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:

When playing for score, the BONUS items are the most important. Charge-up chain combos are of course the most efficient way to kill small enemies, and letting the winged multipliers build up can be very lucrative in a couple situations (like on Stage 3). But overall, it's the Bonus items that are the most crucial for getting high scores. It starts out small at 300, but as you keep picking up the items, it will steadily build until it reaches a maximum value of 81560 (and I don't know the significance of this number either). Once you're getting 81k a pop for each one, you can get crazy scores in the later stages... if you can survive that is :p

Basically, you want to destroy as much stuff as possible to increase the chances of more bonus items appearing. For instance, some enemies release destructable bullets/missiles if you wait a couple seconds. You don't want to destroy them prematurely before they have a chance to release the bullets/missiles, so let them put them out on the screen and then rapidly press A for Windina's wide angle shot (or whoever you're using).

Well, the Windina is excellent because of its versatility. The wide shot when the screen is covered with enemies, and then with bosses you can charge in and unload all those shots at close-range for huge damage too. And it really can wipe out the bosses quickly... the only real problem with the ship (besides the awkward charge shot, best way to use that is to go above/below the enemies you want to chain and then release it) is that the ship is rather slow.

the DINO246 is great for survival purposes since it has the shield in the front, but it's attacking power is so weak. I dabble in the Aryustaitailntalam (whatever) from tmie to time, since it can rack up points faster than any other ship... but again, it SUCKS against bosses, or when the screen is covered with enemies.

I don't have my exact score breakdowns handy, but... it's probably pretty close to what MNK posted above. The first two levels aren't very high-scoring, but it's on Stage 3 where things start to turn around. If you've been doing enough "leeching", you'll be able to get Bonus up to 81560 in Stage 3. The boss time bonuses pale in comparison to the amount of points you can get through Bonus.

500-600k isn't too unreasonable for Stage 1, but here's what you need to do - when you get to the boss, blow the top half of it off (the turret), and then leave the bottom half alone. It will then start a bullet pattern up while firing homing missiles from the right side. Concentrate all your shots on taking down the homing missiles. You want to destroy as many missiles as possible to make more Bonus items appear. Then once the timer gets down to 10 or 15 seconds, start shooting the boss to destroy it. Ultimately though, it's not your score after the first stage that's important - it's the Bonus value. I can't seem to remember what I would have the value at on an average game, though.

Someday I'm really going to have to sit down and learn Stage 6. I've never gotten past it on a single credit, it's too crazy.

MNK

King's Dry Cleaner
Great post BBH.

BBH said:
Ultimately though, it's not your score after the first stage that's important - it's the Bonus value. I can't seem to remember what I would have the value at on an average game, though.

On average it should be 2000p, if your lucky 3000p.

BBH said:
Someday I'm really going to have to sit down and learn Stage 6. I've never gotten past it on a single credit, it's too crazy.

It seems crazy because it's so different from previous stages, the game really goes from being a highspeed shooter to a slow 'bullet herding' shooter. My best advice for stage 6 is to know exactly how big your ships hitbox is and exploit that in every possible way :).

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Thanks for all the info, BBH.

Guess I'm on the right track then, I just need more practice.

Your tips for milking the level-1 boss are really good, I'm getting better scores in there (around 500k) now.

Some more questions if you guys don't mind - first, what's the deal with the orange x4 multiplier items, do they appear randomly?

Second, what's the secret bonus, and how can I increase it?

Third, sometimes when I've destroyed the gun/turret of the level 1 boss, it drops a x2 multiplier. Say I'd wait a little, grab the x2 and kill the boss while it's still active, would my boss bonus get doubled?

Last edited:

MNK

King's Dry Cleaner
Takumaji said:
Some more questions if you guys don't mind - first, what's the deal with the orange x4 multiplier items, do they appear randomly?

You need to pick up 2 bonus items (gems) and then kill something with the normal shot to make it appear. It starts out as a x2 multiplier, but if you don't pick it up, next time it will be x4. This continues up to x128.

Takumaji said:
Second, what's the secret bonus, and how can I increase it??

I've actually never tried to figure that out, it's too small to even bother ;) .

Takumaji said:
Third, sometimes when I've destroyed the gun/turret of the level 1 boss, it drops a x2 multiplier. Say I'd wait a little, grab the x2 and kill the boss while it's still active, would my boss bonus get doubled?

No

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, I know it isn't much but this is my first try at Blazing Star:

blazing.jpg

1713960 Windina Stage 4 Kawa-X

I played a bit of Progear but only got around 1.6M points, died at the beginning of stage 3, I'm not sure what is the "secret" to score in this game.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:

MNK beat me to this too... but just to clarify, if you ignore the winged multiplier and let it leave the screen, the next one will be worth more. They will keep changing colors until it turns into a flashing one, which is the maximum... pick it up and you get instant x128 for everything you destroy.

Second, what's the secret bonus, and how can I increase it?

Still not 100% sure, I guess it lives up to its "secret" title ;) However, I did notice this a long time ago, and it may not be entirely accurate... but I swear the Secret Bonus was highest whenever I tried using the Peplos. Might have been doing something else that coincidentally affected the Secret Bonus, but... it did seem substantially higher when I was using it.

(also, GEMANT's Gamest/Arcadia record list mentions that there is an "infinite score problem" that makes scores done with the Peplos disqualified. I wonder what the trick is?)

Sadly, the multipliers seem to have no effect on bosses or "midbosses".

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
I played Blazing Star for the first time in about a year, so I hope to post some better scores when I get more time to play.

9,398,440 - MVS - Windina

blazingstar.jpg