Espgaluda is F'ing crazy

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
The games not THAT hard...until the later levels. I was learning the system and thinking "wow, I could get hooked on this!"....then I got to the final boss. :eek: So retarded, I don't even care about getting good at this game now, because that boss was ridiculously cheap and hard. I like the concept, with your super shot ADDING to its energy bar...but COME ON. Ridiculous.

THANKFULLY I got this on PS2 and didn't invest in the PCB.

edit: I'm sure my tune may change in the coming week... we'll see

Last edited:

ord1000

Crazed MVS Addict
Espgaluda is a masterpiece and is in my top 3 Cave games od all time, however the boss is a F**ING nightmare on a huge level, who continually smacks me around calling me bitch!
I love the game review here (well i might as well push my site he he :smirk: ) and still plan to buy the board at some point.

SSS

neo retired
I've been playing the game like crazy. My recent best (on one credit) was at the final boss, his last form. Got him down to the last 3rd of his life bar, when he started that crazy shit with the bullets everywhere. Score was over 19 million.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
SamuraiShodownSensei said:
I've been playing the game like crazy. My recent best (on one credit) was at the final boss, his last form. Got him down to the last 3rd of his life bar, when he started that crazy shit with the bullets everywhere. Score was over 19 million.

damn impressive.

I'm still a n00b compared to that.

SSS

neo retired
pixeljunkie said:
damn impressive.

I'm still a n00b compared to that.

Trick is to manage your gems. You'll soon figure out what you need going into a boss fight, to come out without a scratch.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I've been glancing over the FAQ, but I am trying to figure out the whole gem thing. So after I destroy an enemy, I can quickly shoot that enemies bullets to convert them to gems?

SSS

neo retired
pixeljunkie said:
I've been glancing over the FAQ, but I am trying to figure out the whole gem thing. So after I destroy an enemy, I can quickly shoot that enemies bullets to convert them to gems?

? I've never seen that happen, nor have I done that. If you destroy and enemy while in "slowdown" mode, their bullets will turn to coins. Trick is to quickly switch out of slowdown mode once they are destroyed to conserve your gems.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
[takes crack-pipe out of mouth] yes....I was thinking ESPrade for a split-second there. Sorry for the confusion.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Yes, I agree. After recently receiving a galuda kit and playing it for the first time it has instantly become a Cave favorite of mine. I love rade too but galuda just has so much to offer. I really dig the music too. As of right now my highscore is only 55 million but with the way the scoring system is I can see huge sums of numbers being a reason to keep playing.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'm playing ESPGaluda for months now and it's cool as hell. It's one of the best Cave games I've played except for DonPachi and ESPRade.

The normal gems you get by killing enemies with your standard shot/charge shot increase your slowdown mode time counter. In slowdown mode, all bullets of enemies you destroy turn into gold that floats back to you for some extra bonus between rounds. For good scores/multiplier boni, it's important to concentrate on enemies that release huge bullet swarms, for ex. the trains or bigger tanks.

Also, the super/charge bomb does way more damage in slowdown mode.

Once your slowdown mode counter runs out, the speed will be doubled (compared to normal mode) and the bullet color changes from pink to red. You can still use the charge bomb tho, so it's not unreasonable to stay in slowdown mode (or speedup mode in this case) while in a boss fight if you want to nail the boss as fast as possible... of course the bullet patterns become even more deadly, but that's not important if you're going for a super blast because you're invincible while charging.

However, with an empty slowdown counter, you will get no bonus gold in return, or only a little bit to be precise (about 10% of the normal amount).

As a rule of thumb, it's enough to collect about 100 to 150 normal gems in the first three levels to get enough slowdown mode time, but later levels demand a more economic gem handling.

Apart from gold bonus collecting, the slowdown mode helps you to dodge more tricky bullet patterns which becomes important in later levels.

I also had my share of fun with the final boss, but after thinking about it, it's only logical that they don't allow killing him while in slowdown mode because even the mesmerizing criss-cross bullet streams of the end boss wouldn't be too hard to dodge... I just wish I could use the charge bombs.

So far, I have no useful strat for the end boss, perhaps I should get me one of those superplay vids.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I've recently fallen in love with Cave, and I've been playing this game at the local arcades in Akihabara quite a bit. I finally cracked today and bought it for the PS2. I can't wait to really get into the groove...

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Played this game again about a week ago at the arcade.
Mars Matrix cab was busted (and they reset the scores Arrrggg!!!), so ESPGaluda had to suffice this time around. At least they lowered the cost from 50c to 25c.

I managed to get up to the boss in the second (or third?) level on one credit. Forgot what my score was. The more I play it, the more I like it, but I still don't understand it fully. For example, I'm not sure how and when to use the third button. Is it supposed to guard you against shots or something? Still don't know what the music sounds like either...

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Hentai Sama said:
Played this game again about a week ago at the arcade.
Mars Matrix cab was busted (and they reset the scores Arrrggg!!!), so ESPGaluda had to suffice this time around. At least they lowered the cost from 50c to 25c.

I managed to get up to the boss in the second (or third?) level on one credit. Forgot what my score was. The more I play it, the more I like it, but I still don't understand it fully. For example, I'm not sure how and when to use the third button. Is it supposed to guard you against shots or something? Still don't know what the music sounds like either...

Espgaluda had to suffice?

Mars Matrix < Espgaluda

...and you payed only 25c?? Remember, EVERY game at an arcade in Japan costs $1. Once in a blue moon you will find a machine that costs 50c, so I don't keep my fingers crossed.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
ResOGlas said:
Espgaluda had to suffice?

Mars Matrix < Espgaluda

...and you payed only 25c?? Remember, EVERY game at an arcade in Japan costs $1. Once in a blue moon you will find a machine that costs 50c, so I don't keep my fingers crossed.

Don't get me wrong now. ESPG is a really nice game. Its fun and it looks great (and it sounds great, from what others have told me). But the thing is, I just don't fully understand the gameplay yet. This is probably the first Cave shooter I've ever played (amazing, isn't it), so I'm not accustomed to the way they do things.

I fell in love with Gigawing 2, so it was only natural for me to have similar feelings twards MM. I understood MM almost instantly when I first played it. I also thought the simple 1 button gameplay was brilliant. I guess Takumi just spoiled me or something...

Yeah, I keep hearing that Japanese arcades are far more expensive. But you get what you pay for, I guess (the now-busted MM cab was always set to 25c). However, the arcade I went to charges 50c~$1 for most of the games. Even then, the place still looks pretty run-down...

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I just got my copy and it is VERY AWESOME. I love how complex the scoring system is- first shooter in a long time that I went hmm, I better read up on this and take notes if I want to score decently.

Wow, I hope Cave never stops developing games.

BIG

sony fanboy
'Galuda is the shit. In fact,the same can be said about every Cave game.

BIG-

bulletnyourass

noble trader
BIG said:
'Galuda is the shit. In fact,the same can be said about every Cave game.

BIG-

I've been waiting to get another invite to come play some shooter goodness and eat over in Little Tokyo.

Phillip