A national SNK N-G.com tourny/convention

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
I read all this stuff about EVO2k4 and the upcoming EVO2k5, but the thing is there no SNK love at these events. Now I propose an idea that we, the N-G.com community, try to form a national meet up where we can compete in exclusively SNK games. Not only could we hold tournies in various games, but also have displays and the ability to sell/trade/purchase SNK goods. My first proposed location would be in Tennessee, the home of www.neo-geo.com and the Neo Store. The meet up would be over a weekend, Friday through Sunday, most likely during the summer months.

I'm just throwing this idea out there. I would like to see it happen. If I knew there was a meet up SNK gamers like myself, I would most definitely plan out in advance a trip out to the location of the convention. I am just being crazy or is there some interest in doing this? I think we have a big enough hardcore base to pull this off.

Last edited:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
This is a great idea.
I think once, Vinh said he was going to do something like this, but I
never heard anything else...

I think this could happen, but of course we will need the help of a lot members.
I'm willing to help in whatever way I can.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Yes we would need help from alot of members.

Also if we could get Shawn officially involved, that would help greatly.

Secondly, if we can get SNK Playmore USA involved, that would really help us. If they sponsored it, it could really cut down on cost to us. There is gonna have to be an entry fee just to attend the convention, not just to play in the tournies. I don't see how else we can pay for it.

Plus cabinets and/or AES's, gotta find away to come up with a decent amount of those.

BIG

sony fanboy
Sounds good,I'm all for it, but be forewarned: this is going to be very expensive.

BIG-

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Bigp0ppaLarge said:
Sounds good,I'm all for it, but be forewarned: this is going to be very expensive.

BIG-
Cost is a big hurdle. We would definitely need sponsorship. I could or any of use could contact how other gaming conventions are run and paid for. I have some connections to the Philly Classic, so I can find out some stuff there.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
I think, the first thing we will need to figure out, it's a venue.
Something that could be fair for everybody around the states. If that doesn't
work then, maybe held the event one year on the east coast, and the next
on the west coast, or vice versa. Like this year in CA and next year in FL.

2nd a place where the event will be held at. Could be a hotel or some sort
of 'big university room'. Then figure out a charge per person. The hardware
and software for this could easily be obtain IMO. Oh and I almost forgot, the
prizes for the winnars.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
kafuin_gaira said:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80099

still think this idea has merit, Big Shady. thanks for bringing it back up.
Yeah no problem. I think teaming up with SNK-Capcom.com would be a great idea, like Shawn mentioned.

Competitive play would be one part of this convention. People can oggle at other's collections, trade and sell items, share their love for everything SNK and generally have a good time. I envision friendly meet up, some competitive play, but no cut throat tourny play. I would really like to see this happen and if we can get SNK Playmore USA involved, it would be a huge plus. Of course, they might want us to have a KOF:MI tourny, but who knows :kekeke:

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
I'm not gonna let this idea die.

What kind of date range we looking at? Fall of 2005? Winter 2006? Spring/Summer 2006? I think we can really pull this off.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
How about Tampa so I can actually go.

And its warm here. You guys would get a nice tropical vacation.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
How about Tampa so I can actually go.

And its warm here. You guys would get a nice tropical vacation.
Haha, warm would be nice. Any good hotels/convention centers there?

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Big Shady said:

Its a big city so yeah probably, maybe more in St. Pete though (right next to us). I havent been here that long or done that kind of thing so youd have to just look around I guess.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Texas tried something alone these lines a few years ago, and it failed because too few people wanted to travel far from home for something like this. As cool as a gathering like this would be, I think logistics would kill it. Everyone wants to be there, but almost no one wants to have to go there.

Our best bets are still sub-gatherings at larger draws like electronics shows, tournaments, or anime conventions.

breal

Hardened Shock Trooper
Big Shady said:

Hell yeah, we got some nice hotels, and like Nesagwa said we got beaches over in Clearwater and St. Pete's and plus we have Ybor City.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
neojedi said:
Texas tried something alone these lines a few years ago, and it failed because too few people wanted to travel far from home for something like this. As cool as a gathering like this would be, I think logistics would kill it. Everyone wants to be there, but almost no one wants to have to go there.

Our best bets are still sub-gatherings at larger draws like electronics shows, tournaments, or anime conventions.
True, but how does www.shoryuken.com pull it off with EVO? If we can get SNK Playmore USA backing, we could draw more people then just the www.neo-geo.com community. With name reconigtion and sponsorship would be a big draw. This could be a big SNK Playmore USA show, unveiling new products and promoting recently released titles.

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
This sounds like a cool Idea. Have you thought of calling up SNK Playmore, or getting some costs in concrete numbers from some places etc........

onefortheride

Dodgeball Yakuza
if you do it in the midwest (you mentioned TN), then i could probably bring my cabs. i have 5 neo cabs 3 4-slots and 2 2-slots (gold). its not much ... but its a start.

keep me informed ... i'd help in any other way i can.

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
Why not Las Vegas, you know, where the final tourney was in SvC Card Fighters? XD