Any info about Trizeal?

Kiken

Camel Slug
The game comes out April, 7th.

The main aspect of XII Stag that turned off most folks was the awkward scoring system playmechanic (wiggling the joystick like mad to get the 12X bonus from enemies). This is not part of Trizeal.

Trizeal's score system revolves around simply destroying stuff and picking up medals (yeah, there's a little more to it than that, but in a nutshell...).

The DC port will feature a ton of bonus material (extra stages, several different game modes, 2-player simultaneous play... etc, etc), so it can only end up being better than the arcade rev.

I'll reserve final judgement though until I play it (I put in my pre-order BEFORE the infamous SOS message was posted on their website).

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Kiken said:
The game comes out April, 7th.

The main aspect of XII Stag that turned off most folks was the awkward scoring system playmechanic (wiggling the joystick like mad to get the 12X bonus from enemies). This is not part of Trizeal.

Trizeal's score system revolves around simply destroying stuff and picking up medals (yeah, there's a little more to it than that, but in a nutshell...).

The DC port will feature a ton of bonus material (extra stages, several different game modes, 2-player simultaneous play... etc, etc), so it can only end up being better than the arcade rev.

I'll reserve final judgement though until I play it (I put in my pre-order BEFORE the infamous SOS message was posted on their website).

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a dumb idea making people shake the controller for extra points! But what do you mean about the "infamous SOS message" on their website?!?!

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
chimpmeister said:
But what do you mean about the "infamous SOS message" on their website?!?!

They are begging people to buy the game cause they are going under if it doesnt do well. I say make a better game and you wouldnt have to worry about that kind of thing.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Yes...yes, im really looking forward to this title..!! long live the dreamcast! :D

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Spike said:
They are begging people to buy the game cause they are going under if it doesnt do well. I say make a better game and you wouldnt have to worry about that kind of thing.
Hmmm... if they were running a financially sound operation, would they be releasing a game on the Dreamcast in the first place?

I'll probably pick this one up just to keep the dream alive. :)

Freelancer

Banned
NEO GOLD said:
Yes...yes, im really looking forward to this title..!! long live the dreamcast! :D

More like long live Naomi (since that's where the game originated from), but yeah.
I think I'll pre-order it since the strategy sections for this game in the last few Arcadia magazines do look decent.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
neojedi said:
Hmmm... if they were running a financially sound operation, would they be releasing a game on the Dreamcast in the first place?

I'll probably pick this one up just to keep the dream alive. :)

I was wondering something along the same lines... if you are looking to make a boatload of money on a game (enough to prevent your company from closing, at least), would DC really be the best system to port your game to? Sure, the diehards (like us) will buy it for $60 and more Asians probably will, but would it make more $ overall if it was ported to PS2 and sold at $20 or $30? Don't get me wrong, I love seeing new DC games (I bought Chaos Field, after all, which sucks) and I will happily buy a copy of Trizeal, but I would hate to see the whole company shut down if a certain bottom line isn't achieved.

Kiken

Camel Slug
jro said:
I was wondering something along the same lines... if you are looking to make a boatload of money on a game (enough to prevent your company from closing, at least), would DC really be the best system to port your game to? Sure, the diehards (like us) will buy it for $60 and more Asians probably will, but would it make more $ overall if it was ported to PS2 and sold at $20 or $30? Don't get me wrong, I love seeing new DC games (I bought Chaos Field, after all, which sucks) and I will happily buy a copy of Trizeal, but I would hate to see the whole company shut down if a certain bottom line isn't achieved.

You forget how much it costs to get the liscencing agreement with Sony to release a game on their platform.

Porting from NAOMI to DC is:
1. a very easy process
2. a very cheap process
3. a very faithful process (port-wise)

Overall, I think if Triangle Service can sell 10,000 DC copies of Trizeal, they'll turn a profit. That can then put them in a position to port it to a more mainstream console to reach more players.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Kiken said:
You forget how much it costs to get the liscencing agreement with Sony to release a game on their platform.

Porting from NAOMI to DC is:
1. a very easy process
2. a very cheap process
3. a very faithful process (port-wise)

Overall, I think if Triangle Service can sell 10,000 DC copies of Trizeal, they'll turn a profit. That can then put them in a position to port it to a more mainstream console to reach more players.

Ah, very true about Sony taking a MUCH bigger cut in licensing.

And I guess the 10K copies thing makes sense, too. The "port to another console afterward" thing happened with Chaos Field, after all.

Here's hoping Triangle Service meets expectations and stays in the game.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
It's a shooter. Regardless of what system it's on, it's not going to sell boatloads. We're in the minority as fans of this genre. And I'm sure the majority of us own DCs... in not, for shame!

Here's to hoping it's a good one...

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Kiken said:

Hmm, are you sure the arcade version does not have 2-player simultaneous play?

Anyway the games kinder long took me 45mins to complete on my first play though & quite enjoyed it too.

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member

Cold though it sounds, I'd have to agree. I'll wait and see if it's any good, though.

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member
That doesn't sound like something the late and great Segata Sanshiro would say. He stuck with the Saturn to the end, and if he were around today he'd be threatening people to still play the DC.

I demand you change your mind or relinquish that name.

The idea that if they made a better shmup that they would sell a bunch seems kinda flawed. Gee, perhaps it's because shmups always sell low numbers.

At any rate, we will see. If the game does turn out to be crap, I guess I'll regret buying it. But at least I'm prepared to take that risk in honor of the DC.

And no, I'm not saying everyone should go out and buy it, just that I don't mind if a extremely small developer needs a pre-order

Kiken

Camel Slug
realgameplay said:
Hmm, are you sure the arcade version does not have 2-player simultaneous play?

Well, I just checked out the arcade listing, and apparently 2-player simultaneous play is a feature... so I guess it isn't new. Chalk it up to the fact that they put it as practically the first thing on the DC page as a special feature.