Doujinshin Shooter Review Thread

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
Although, I'll admit, most of these games I've gotten via Doujinroni or Insert Credit postings, but still, sometimes one falls through the cracks. So I'm gonna drop out a couple from my standard rotation-

Imperishable Night - From the people that brought you Perfect Cherry Blossom. Very smooth and crisp. Graphics are, in my opinion, just a little too 16-bit at times (but then it's high-res image at other times). Not a complaint mind you. Just an observation. Standard bullet-hell type game. Very cool sound, massive supers and I dig the whole presentation. Enjoyable.

Imperishable1.jpg

Lunatic Difficulty...aptly named.

Imperishable2.jpg

Massive Beam FTW!!

Gundeadligne-
Another cool game from the dude who did Gundemonium. Now, in my opinion, these are some of the best drawn sprites I've seen in an amatuer game. They're not the most super detailed but they have a ton of character and suit the game perfectly. This is probably my most favorite and often played Doujinshin Shooter. It's got everything you could want, silky smooth, great graphics and a good difficulty.

Gundeadline1.jpg

I'm all about the combos, yo.

Something...I don't know.-

And I threw this in for the hell of it. I guess it's called "I Lolita" or..."ESP Rade"...or Flaming Something. Hell, I don't even remember what it was (I think it was either a NGPC game...or a Wonderswan game...or...I don't know). At any rate it's neat for being an exceptionally low res shooter. No sound, not really that much fun, cool just for it's own sake.

shrug.jpg

Interesting in it's own way

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
is there a demo of Imperishable Night on their site??? I can't find anything.

edit: nevermind, I think I found it [19 meg file]

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
is there a demo of Imperishable Night on their site??? I can't find anything.

edit: nevermind, I think I found it [19 meg file]

You can also download an update for it.
Under the "Downloads" section, right above the main file.
(ver0.03->ver0.03a[71KB])
Update app has to be in the same folder as the game app.

For those who can't read Japanese, the "Downloads" section is the 4th link on the main page.

1st link is background story, 2nd is snapshots, 3rd is the game manual.

For Gundeadligne, its the 5th link from the left, near the top.
Or, the section after Known Bugs / Update Plan.

Blaine said:
I guess it's called "I Lolita" or..."ESP Rade"...or Flaming Something.

Its name is in the URL. "ilolitan" (iloli-chan)

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Hentai Sama said:
Its name is in the URL. "ilolitan" (iloli-chan)

True, but Blaine was half right... that screenshot, at least, is a low rez reproduction of ESP RaDe.

Thanks for the most worthwhile thread I've seen in a while.

I have nothing to contribute.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
ForeverSublime said:
True, but Blaine was half right... that screenshot, at least, is a low rez reproduction of ESP RaDe..

I thought as much, but I've yet to play ESP RaDe, so... :emb:

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Bump.

Team Shanghai Alice is developing a new "Versus Shooter", inspired by Twinkle Star Sprites. Looks like it might be released sometime next month (at least durring the summer). More info/screen-shots here:

http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/html/th09top.html
http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/html/th09ss.html

Also, Murasame has released a new shooter akin to Viewpoint:

http://www20.cds.ne.jp/~murasame/source/edoma538.htm

Semi-Off-Topic:

Twilight Frontier (creators of Eternal Fighter Zero), in collaboration with Team Shanghai Alice, have released a fighting game for the PC. It combines TSA's characters, music, storyline, and graphic design with TF's game engine, character design, and sprite artwork. Game is titled Immaterial and Missing Power. More info here:

http://www.tasofro.net/touhou/index.html

Last edited:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I picked up Prefect cherry blossom a while ago and have to say its pretty cool but just not my speed. The music is a little too "peaceful" and the stages and enimies up to the bosses are lifeless. Boss battles are very cool though. The different versions of each character and the different ways to use the shot and bomb are quite a breath of fresh air, I would say innovative but other shooters have used them before but not given you the option to utilize all at once.

I'm more of a Kenta Cho kinda doujin shooter type of guy. ;)

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Spike said:
I'm more of a Kenta Cho kinda doujin shooter type of guy. ;)

Ditto.

You should try Imperishable Night; it takes Perfect Cherry Blossom to the next level in almost every aspect.