Gradius V makes my pee-pee tingle.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Really, it does. The horizontal equivalent to Radiant.
Go grab it, love it, play it til your thumbs bleed.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Obviously.
Though ... i haven't played it in 4 months.
Fucking PS2.
Who wants to shell out 200 for another one when you know it's just going to go down the shitter?

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Hell yea. I'm going to get back into it when I'm all done with the new Ys game.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Gradius V is a little too overhyped.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Spike said:

I'm glad someone can see this

I like it and all, but not what I expected

then again, I've been the shooter hype-monkey when it comes to R-Type: Final

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Indeed, it not only makes my pee pee tingle, it makes my anus quiver with delight (although that could be from some bad tacos). Either way, it's one of the best PS2 shooters out there.

BIG

sony fanboy
Gradius V is one of my fav hori-shmups of all time,along side the likes of Pro-Gear,Sengoku Blade,Sexy Parodius,etc.

One of the very best shmups ever released on any format,hands-down.

BIG-

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Spike said:

Considering how most of Konami's other releases around the time turned out, I'd have to disagree.

Long live Gradius! :buttrock:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The sheer beauty and epic that is Gradius V makes me cry with tears of joy.

Tears of joy, people. tears of joy.

Favorite shmup, ever. yup yup.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Am I the only one here to find GV as average as thousands of other shooters?

kaos

I'm a stealthy Ghost-like pimp daddy bitch, yo!
Tristesse said:

stop spamming this forum you french faggot!

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Tristesse said:

Ignorance is bliss my friend. You seem to define that statement.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
I still have yet to pick up Gradius V. I think this is an ebay purchase only now :(

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Jedah Doma said:
Ignorance is bliss my friend. You seem to define that statement.

:spock: So whether you don't like GV you're ignorant. Great, great. It's more "If you don't see that there are lots of shooters better than GV YOU're ignorant". Ignorant because you surely played a dozen of shmups max. Every man who praises GV to be one of his most prefered shmups surely didn't play more shmups anyway.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Gradius V suits my tastes, so I like it. Compared to gradius IV, it's leaps and bounds better.

Still, it's not as awesome as radiant silvergun and ikaruga. It is close.

One of these days, I'll make an attempt to get past level 4, and then we will see how my opinion changes.

When it comes to horizontal shmups, I still belive Rtype Delta has yet to be surpassed.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Tristesse said:
:spock: So whether you don't like GV you're ignorant. Great, great. It's more "If you don't see that there are lots of shooters better than GV YOU're ignorant". Ignorant because you surely played a dozen of shmups max. Every man who praises GV to be one of his most prefered shmups surely didn't play more shmups anyway.

I don't care if you've played every shump out there, this is a phenomenal game period. Great music, stunning graphics, intuitive gameplay, new option configurations, and 2 player co-op. It's one of the finest shooters made by Treasure. I'm not going to start listing all the shumps I've played in some weak attempt to show you I'm some "expert" because it would be pointless. The game is amazing, and if you really think it's just decent, you must have played some very awesome, amazing, and brilliant shooters that the rest of the world hasn't played.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Jedah Doma said:
I don't care if you've played every shump out there, this is a phenomenal game period. Great music, stunning graphics, intuitive gameplay, new option configurations, and 2 player co-op. It's one of the finest shooters made by Treasure. I'm not going to start listing all the shumps I've played in some weak attempt to show you I'm some "expert" because it would be pointless. The game is amazing, and if you really think it's just decent, you must have played some very awesome, amazing, and brilliant shooters that the rest of the world hasn't played.

Look in the "Top Ten Shooters" thread. Almost every game quoted is better than Gradius IMO. And if you tell me that Gradius is better than a R-Type, Ikaruga or Radiant Silvergun, I simply can't believe it.

IMO, GV is a shooter as KOF 2k2 is a fighter: I'm fed up with everybody playing and speaking only of KoF2k2 whereas there are dozens of other fighters to play. This buzz is really annoying, and it's sad because KoF 2k2 and GV are both good games, but the fact that everybody only see through those games make them really boring.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Tristesse said:
Look in the "Top Ten Shooters" thread. Almost every game quoted is better than Gradius IMO. And if you tell me that Gradius is better than a R-Type, Ikaruga or Radiant Silvergun, I simply can't believe it.

IMO, GV is a shooter as KOF 2k2 is a fighter: I'm fed up with everybody playing and speaking only of KoF2k2 whereas there are dozens of other fighters to play. This buzz is really annoying, and it's sad because KoF 2k2 and GV are both good games, but the fact that everybody only see through those games make them really boring.

But see you never give any facts, in your opinion, about why Gradius 5 isn't an amazing game. I've detailed great aspects about this game time and time again and you dismiss them with no real counter point whatsoever. This is a shooter at its' best. It's made by Treasure with great graphics, a soundtrack that perfectly fits the game, gameplay that has the feel of Gradius, but is better and more flexible, vast levels with unique and creative enemies and bosses, 2 player co-op mode, and so much more.

All I get from you is the same canned answer that "it's not that great". I realize this is your opinion, and everyone is entitled to one, but I have yet to see anything that even remotely looks like a fact from the game (such as sound, grapchis, gameplay, etc.). Tell me why these factors I have just mentioned aren't good.

Again, I realize it's your own opinion, but you're missing out. You say you like Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga, but this is the same team who did BOTH of those games, yet it somehow doesn't measure up. Give me some viable opinions based off of factors from the game and then we'll have a real conversation on our hands.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Ok, you want accurate opinions, let's go:

Music: I don't especially like the music, too slow and sleeping I feel. The sound in itself is really good, great stereo sound but the compositions are not what I would wait from a shooter. It's very personnal, and the fact I have really extreme musical tastes doesn't help.

Graphics: Ok, the good point of the game. Good graphics, really "Treasure-ish". I bet this game has been released on Naomi, right? If not, it's exactly the same explosions and FX.

Gameplay: Bah, I don't like the gameplay, the "choose type" thing. It had nothing more in the game in my opinion. And you need to hold a button pushed to affect the formation of the bits, REALLY annoying.

I won't spend more time in describing what I don't like in this game, it's not worth it. But if you want the main thing I don't like, it's simply the soul of the game, or the lack of soul actually. I plays like soo many other games. Once you finish it, what I still haven't done, I'm sure you put it on a shelf and that's it. No need to speak about the shield thing that makes you invincible during the whole play.
Shield + type 4 rotation = boring to death. Oh, just thinking, the game is too long dammit, and if there's one thing I hate in shmups, it's the too long games.

Anyway, I'm not a horizontal shmup fan so it doesn't help. Don't get me wrong, I like the game in somewhat manner, but this is just that it's flooded among so good shooters around.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Tristesse said:
Ok, you want accurate opinions, let's go:

I won't spend more time in describing what I don't like in this game, it's not worth it.

very thorough.

just sounds like halfway through your post you realized your criticisms of the game were hollow.