CAPCOM VS SNK 2:EO GAMECUBE

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
While I save up for SVC Chaos on the MVS I thought I would get Capcom vs SNK for the Gamecube. Those of you who own the game, what do you think?

On 1st impression I feel it's nice enough on the presentation front but the graphics soon disappoint when into the main game, I mean what’s with the pixilated characters? Samurai Sprits 1 on my AES has better character sprites and this is running on some of the latest hardware??

On the plus side through the game has bags of characters and enough combo systems to last most players ages which is good. Also the backgrounds are impressive, I do very much like the 3D backdrops but if only the characters looked a little better the backgrounds wouldn’t outshine them so much.

Oh yeah and I wont even mention the control system, the SNES being the only console where a Nintendo pad actually seemed to work. It's also very strange going from an MVS set up to using a pad again on a fighter; sure it will take me a while to adjust.

On 1st impression a good package and I did get it for ten quid so even better. Anyway what do you all think of this game?

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I thought it was an awesome game on the DC when it came out and had a blast playing it on XBOX live but with time, I can see more clear.

The game is an absolute abomination. As a modern-ish capcom fighter it's mediocre. It does a disservice to the SNK name as well.

On the bright side, I really love that new Mai sprite.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I don't know what you're thinking, but CVS2 is absolutelly an INCREDIBLE and pleasant tournament game.

I just can't seem to accept the fact to play it on a regular GC controller.

And don't even try to compare CVS2 to SVC Chaos. It's like talking about Apples and Oranges.

They're both fighting games ? Sure. So are apples and oranges both fruits.

CVS2 is absolutelly TOPS. Shame that most of the SNK roster is pretty fucked up.

SHO

Raiden's Valet
the part where ss1 had better graphics confuse me

the part where saying cvs2 is crap also confuses me

i don't understand this thread...

also getting it on the GC confuses me even further!

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Anyone that doesn't like CvsSNK2 is retarded. That game owns. :angry:

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
Anyone that doesn't like CvsSNK2 is retarded. That game owns. :angry:

I just took the game out of the case and took a giant wet shit on it, i did. Consider that a "fuck-you" to you to.

krakov

Armored Scrum Object
Name it Streetfighter Alpha 3+ featuring SNK, and maybe i´ll agree that it´s pretty good.

Capcom-freaks love it, since it´s SF, and nothing else.
SNK-freak like me, that prefer KOF, FF, SS, LB-style fighting will propably be a bit sad that every single SNK-character has been totally fucked up. And every single system or gaming aspect coming from SNK as well.

People who claims this game to be overall good-looking may do themselves a favour and look for new glasses.

Gameplay is pretty tight if you´re a SF-nut, as i stated before. And if you like playing 5 out of 40+ charas and abusing bugs, you´ll propably have a blast!

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
The gameplay is tight and balanced for competitive play, but those sprites and BG's are pretty horrid.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
The PS2 and gamecube versions are crap in the graphics dept. The reason that most people don't see it is because the Xbox, and Dreamcast versions have anti-alising that cleans up the sprites.

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
I got the GC version a while back, good game. Recently I picked up the Xbox version, graphics wise they remain the same, but as far as sound goes, the Xbox sounds totally different.

I haven’t played them both in quick succession to decide which has the better sound though. As I have been playing the GC version longer I prefer the sound, but its probably the Xbox version which is better (perhaps less compressed?)

Not really relevant, I just found it interesting :)

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Atrophyed said:
I don't know what you're thinking, but CVS2 is absolutelly an INCREDIBLE and pleasant tournament game.

I just can't seem to accept the fact to play it on a regular GC controller.

And don't even try to compare CVS2 to SVC Chaos. It's like talking about Apples and Oranges.

They're both fighting games ? Sure. So are apples and oranges both fruits.

CVS2 is absolutelly TOPS. Shame that most of the SNK roster is pretty fucked up.

Was not actaully comparing the two games just saying that while saving to get SVC Chaos I have brought Capcon vs SNK to play.

Also strangely enough the reason that I am playing it on the gamecube is that I own a gamecube and not a ps2 or xbox!

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
SHO said:
the part where ss1 had better graphics confuse me

the part where saying cvs2 is crap also confuses me

i don't understand this thread...

also getting it on the GC confuses me even further!

Less pixleated character sprites on SS1 (I personally think it has better looking characters)

You dont understand this thread, how about this game is a game related to SNK, this is a neo-geo forum, and like others I have posted a thread expressing my view on the particular game hoping to find out what others like myself think of the title.

Last edited:

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
Does the Xbox version have something similar to the GC's GC-ism where every more can be done with a simple push in a direction with the C-Stick? That was really gay... :angry:

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
oldschool said:
Does the Xbox version have something similar to the GC's GC-ism where every more can be done with a simple push in a direction with the C-Stick? That was really gay... :angry:

I'm really not to sure but as far as I'm aware thats a GC exclusive. I have to aggree with you being able to execute a special move with a simple tap of the C-stick is just taking away any skill involved with being able to perform the moves yourself. It also takes away the fun in learning the various moves per character. Nice try Capcom.

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
oldschool said:

yes because on live you have to choose ACism or ECism.

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
jamie666 said:
I'm really not to sure but as far as I'm aware thats a GC exclusive. I have to aggree with you being able to execute a special move with a simple tap of the C-stick is just taking away any skill involved with being able to perform the moves yourself. It also takes away the fun in learning the various moves per character. Nice try Capcom.
Yes, fuck you Capcom for this crappy feature !
Although there was the exact same one in SNK vs Capcom Match of the Millennium... *cough*

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Got pretty fed up with using the normal gamecube pad for this game. The d-pad is too small and the sholder triggers just are not made with fighting games in mind.

To help with this I got myself one of the HORI SNES pads made for the gamecube. There really good for fighters and the d-pad is bigger. Just feels so much better playing the game with this pad.

Has anyone else got one of these pads and if so what do you think of it?

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
GC is the only console I own it own. Use a real arcade pelican stick to play it. I love it. Debated getting the X-Box version though due to playing Live.

It's true that Capcom didn't give much respect to SNK when making it. They pretty much raped all the SNK crew. Still a fun game and pretty cheap to find now.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
krakov said:
Name it Streetfighter Alpha 3+ featuring SNK, and maybe i´ll agree that it´s pretty good.

Capcom-freaks love it, since it´s SF, and nothing else.
SNK-freak like me, that prefer KOF, FF, SS, LB-style fighting will propably be a bit sad that every single SNK-character has been totally fucked up. And every single system or gaming aspect coming from SNK as well.

People who claims this game to be overall good-looking may do themselves a favour and look for new glasses.

Gameplay is pretty tight if you´re a SF-nut, as i stated before. And if you like playing 5 out of 40+ charas and abusing bugs, you´ll propably have a blast!

Every single SNK character is fucked up? That's news to me.

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
So whats actually wrong with the SNK characters being fucked up?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
SonGohan said:
Heh, as little as I play CVS2, a lot of the SNK side is competent.

Geese? Haohmaru? To name a few.

Oh, and K-Groove Mai... watch OUT!!

krakov

Armored Scrum Object
SonGohan said:

Ok, let´s put it like this...
Every SNK-chars plays like a SF-char.

Which IMHO = Fucked up.

A capcom-scrub will have an easy time to adapt, much more so then a good KOF-player for example.

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
krakov said:
Ok, let´s put it like this...
Every SNK-chars plays like a SF-char.

Which IMHO = Fucked up.

A capcom-scrub will have an easy time to adapt, much more so then a good KOF-player for example.

I have to admit I agree with you. I own a few of the KOF games and the way the SNK characters play on Capcom vs SNK are very much like the street fighters characters. I do think that this is probably to make it more accessible to people who maybe havent played many of the KOF or SNK beat-em ups maybe.

I suppose that as capcom did develop the game as long as the quality is there they can make the game play however they want really.

It doesnt bother me as you can just go back to KOF on the neo and the same with the street fighter games, at the end of the day if you own both types of game you get the best of both worlds.

Both quality beat-em ups tho!