JAKKS Pacific Signs Licensing Deal With SNK PLAYMORE USA for TV Games

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
The SNK TV Games(TM) line-up will feature games based on top properties, including IKARI WARRIORS, VANGUARD and VICTORY ROAD. All that is needed are batteries and a TV -- no videogame consoles and are required. Simply plug the TV Games(TM) unit into the A/V jacks of any standard television set, turn on and play. The lightweight, compact, all-inclusive controller, houses a combination of videogames with all of the hardware built right into the controller. This technology allows gaming fans to enjoy a number of videogames with just one single purchase.

http://press.arrivenet.com/bus/article.php/596296.html

How long before there is a Neo version of this? Probably a while, but when there is that will be pretty slick...
:buttrock:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
"Including"?! That suggests there will be other games on the thing also...can't wait to hear the full line up, although Spring '06 is a long way off still.

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
If they used a LS-30 type joystick for Ikari Warriors and Victory Road, that would rule. But I'm pretty sure they probably won't.

Freelancer

Banned
Seeing the last few Jakks Pacific handhelds, I'm a bit leery.
I pray that Ikari Warriors and Victory Road aren't NES ports...

BoyProdigy

Crossed Swords Squire
*shiver*
Ikari Warriors and Victory Road nes ports
:shame:

It would be nice if they did something like that and made the controller a classic neo one and it had a classic neo game in it such as Fatal Fury, NAM 1975 and such. The only problem would be two player. But they can just do the link cable thing like the MK controller.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
BoyProdigy said:
*shiver*
Ikari Warriors and Victory Road nes ports
:shame:

It would be nice if they did something like that and made the controller a classic neo one and it had a classic neo game in it such as Fatal Fury, NAM 1975 and such. The only problem would be two player. But they can just do the link cable thing like the MK controller.
Actually I think this would be horrible.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Fuckbithchshitnachos... I was hoping for a PSII setup.

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
I was thinking that this (or if they do a neo version ever) would be a pretty cool basis for a project. Re-case the thing and wire the controls to db15 ports... :D It could look like a little console or a supergun that didn't plug into a pcb.

:buttrock:

Not so practical, but fun to mess with...

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
If I remember correctly, the Ms. Pac-Man unit has a rotary-type joystick that you twist to steer the car in Pole Position. So, in theory, Jakks could use that rotary-type joystick in the SNK unit and offer an arcade-perfect Ikari Warriors. When you look at it that way, this is great news. :drool_2:

Now, if this had Samurai Showdown, I'd be interested. Considering that it's going to be released a year from now, the technology should advance enough to include an arcade perfect SamSho... :buttrock:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
twalden said:
If they used a LS-30 type joystick for Ikari Warriors and Victory Road, that would rule. But I'm pretty sure they probably won't.

yea right.
rotary joystick or bust mother fuckers!

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I'm pretty sure the tetris version has a similar controler.

Freelancer

Banned
ferrarimanf355 said:
If I remember correctly, the Ms. Pac-Man unit has a rotary-type joystick that you twist to steer the car in Pole Position. So, in theory, Jakks could use that rotary-type joystick in the SNK unit and offer an arcade-perfect Ikari Warriors.

The Ms. Pacman unit DOES have a rotary stick, but it's far too imprecise for Ikari Warriors. The stick springs back after it's rotated, so unless they modify it to mimic the precision of the LS-30, this is not a good idea.

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
Freelancer said:
The Ms. Pacman unit DOES have a rotary stick, but it's far too imprecise for Ikari Warriors. The stick springs back after it's rotated, so unless they modify it to mimic the precision of the LS-30, this is not a good idea.
Wait, so the LS-30 stick (I'm assuming that's code for the rotary stick originally used in Ikari... someone correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't spring back? I pretty much assume that it's easy to modify the Ms. Pac-Man stick so it won't spring back.
According to this, it appears that the rotary stick rotates in 12 positions. Is that accurate?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Kumavnmitsurugi said:
if they are not NES ports than : :mr_t:
Agreed if it's the arcade version.
Then i'm all over it like a drooling dog :drool:

Matarick

Goal! Goal! Goal!
It is nice that somebody is willing to market Ikari Warriors in this day and age and hope the joystick is done right but if Samsho is going to be a TV game; I am shuddering the thought that it would be based on the Sega Genesis port and not a true Neo Geo conversion.

*Edit, Radica has the rights to the Genesis name and Street Fighter games so I think Jaks would do a more acurate job of the game translation since it did well with MK TV game and I rewrote the below paragraph*

If they, Jaks, is going to take the easy route and just modify the EA games chip and make simple 'Genesis' ports; heaven help us if if they would play and look like the respective Genesis ports. Now that would make the NEO-GEO name look bad in the gamer's eye.

But if Jaks used actual Neo hardware, used Neo Geo sticks, invested in a NEO GEO in a chip, and sold it for $40; then you would have some people in the forum cursing and complaining about already spent $500+ to get a working Neo Geo setup with games and all :kekeke:

No offense to those who spend good money on the Neo Geo lifestlye, if i had the money I would do the same.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Matarick said:
But if Jaks used actual Neo hardware, used Neo Geo sticks, invested in a NEO GEO in a chip, and sold it for $40; then you would have some people in the forum cursing and complaining about already spent $500+ to get a working Neo Geo setup with games and all :kekeke:

No offense to those who spend good money on the Neo Geo lifestlye, if i had the money I would do the same.
If they did do SamSho... A single port of a $20 game sold for $40 would not make me regret my Neo set up, I think.

Killercrossover

Zero's Secretary
Freelancer said:
Seeing the last few Jakks Pacific handhelds, I'm a bit leery.
I pray that Ikari Warriors and Victory Road aren't NES ports...

Good Point, I just seen the Mortal Kombat one and looks a little like the Genesis version except with better sound.

Matarick

Goal! Goal! Goal!
SouthtownKid said:
If they did do SamSho... A single port of a $20 game sold for $40 would not make me regret my Neo set up, I think.

If the 'NEO GEO TV Games' would contain actual NEO GEO hardware since most of the chips are Motorolla 68000 and the Z80 while SNKPlaymore might give the Jaks people the tech behind the graphics chip (I don't think they make money off of aftermarket Neo-Geo stuff) since somebody else would produce the graphics and ram is far more cheaper now-adays; the NEO GEO TV console would be as hackable as a Commodore C64 Direct to TV Joystick . I don't think that would happen but having joystick port, memory card, and cart port mods would rock hardcore for the scene.

Or ole Benjamin Heckendorn could make a portable Neo Geo out of that.

Ahhh, one could dream, can't he (or she for the female readers).

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
Matarick said:
If the 'NEO GEO TV Games' would contain actual NEO GEO hardware since most of the chips are Motorolla 68000 and the Z80 while SNKPlaymore might give the Jaks people the tech behind the graphics chip (I don't think they make money off of aftermarket Neo-Geo stuff) since somebody else would produce the graphics and ram is far more cheaper now-adays; the NEO GEO TV console would be as hackable as a Commodore C64 Direct to TV Joystick . I don't think that would happen but having joystick port, memory card, and cart port mods would rock hardcore for the scene.

Or ole Benjamin Heckendorn could make a portable Neo Geo out of that.

Ahhh, one could dream, can't he (or she for the female readers).
Some good food for thought there. I guess the thing about the Jakks TV games is that they're handheld portables: perhaps if there was a Neo TV Games console, it would be modeled on the Neo CD pad? At the very least, it should have a link-up port for two-player action: one player fighting games can only last so long... :)