PDA

View Full Version : Neo Geo CD Conversion Project.

cdoty
02-18-2005, 06:36 PM
I have successfully converted 4 (1/2) games from the Neo Geo MVS to the Neo Geo CD.

More information can be found at:
Neo Geo CD Conversion Project (http://www.game-shoppe.com/NeoGeoCD/)

wizkid007
02-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Can any body vouce for this guy??

I would like to try a few of his other converts... and i have paypal to boot.

Just dont want to donate and get nothing in return

Dean
02-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Well, I can see the others on the list (Gururin, Puzzle de Pon, Andros Dunos) since no CD version was made, but his only downloadable is Joy Joy Kid which already exists in CD format. Seems like bullshit to me.

Takumaji
02-18-2005, 07:24 PM
A cdoty also registered on the neogeocd.net forums.

Are you Charles Doty, the game programmer?

cdoty
02-19-2005, 07:27 AM
Yes. I am also registered on the Neo Geo CD forum.

Have a look at the JoyJoyKid.zip file, burn it to CD and try it in a Neo Geo CD player.

Then have a look at the differences.

First of all the Joy Joy Kid CD I have has 41 audio track, the one on the site requires one.

The PCM files are different size, and there are a small number of differences in the PRG files.

You may also have seen some of the previous work I've done on the Neo Geo CD.
http://arcadedev.emuvibes.com/
In addition to a bootable Neo Geo CD demo (http://arcadedev.emuvibes.com/files/ngcddemo.zip )

lithy
02-19-2005, 02:28 PM
is it possible to bring MSX, Garou MOTW, KOF02, Kizuna encounter & ms3 to cd. or isnt a conversion possible?

Compared to the games he's done these are huge meg counts and would likely require an extensive amount of work. I've seen requests for Ghostlop being converted to CD format would be interesting to see if that could be done.

Interesting work by the way would sure make the CD a more enviable format.

RAINBOW PONY
02-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Well, I can see the others on the list (Gururin, Puzzle de Pon, Andros Dunos) since no CD version was made, but his only downloadable is Joy Joy Kid which already exists in CD format. Seems like bullshit to me.

he probably made that one free, because it IS already released on CD, i think if he spent the time to convert them a little donation is worth getting the other files. pretty cool if you could convert every mvs game to play on the CD system.

kernow
02-19-2005, 04:28 PM
this is seriously cool

great work

I'm trying to think of other suitable titles.. hmm

Igniz v2
02-19-2005, 05:00 PM
maybe SSVS will see CD release now like that one nut wanted

hahaha

loading.... fetch a drink, make something to eat, go out for a bit, come back, still loading.... take a shit, come back, nope, not yet... etc

Baseley09
02-19-2005, 05:11 PM
Is this is real then great stuff, theres some real kol stuff that is CD worthy like MD3, Money Idol, Blazing Star etc.

Some blatantly cant be done, any are welcome tho really tbh.

metallizer
02-19-2005, 05:21 PM
this is great, good luck on your next projects.

I hope you have plans to do the opposite, fully working versions of the NGCD exclusive games to the ROM format.

Poison Sama
02-19-2005, 07:21 PM
maybe SSVS will see CD release now like that one nut wanted

hahaha

loading.... fetch a drink, make something to eat, go out for a bit, come back, still loading.... take a shit, come back, nope, not yet... etc

If they can be made to work with the DC NGCD emu...

LWK
02-19-2005, 10:28 PM
This looks like a scam, be careful.

kernow
02-19-2005, 10:42 PM
?

its the neocd emu author lwk

Orpheus
02-19-2005, 11:41 PM
This is tits.
fucking tits I tell you.

Top priority makes that need to be ported are:

Spinmasters
Ghostlop
NITD
Money Puzzle Exchanger

Others would be:

either of the puzzle de pon games
Captain Tomoday
Ganryu
The Irritating Maze
King of the monsters
Super Dodgeball
Zupapa!

and if it is even possible (since they are higher meg games):

Kizuna Encounter
Prehistoric Isle 2
Sengoku 3
Strikers 1945
Shock Troopers

I can only dream.

twalden
02-20-2005, 05:58 AM
This is tits.
fucking tits I tell you.

Spinmasters
Ghostlop
NITD
Money Puzzle Exchanger

This rules. About time the Neo CD gets the love it deserves. Good choices there Orpheus, but I'd take MD3 over MPE.

johnno15
02-20-2005, 06:32 AM
This is fucking amazing and i really hope he considers to do some of the games that orpheus suggested :buttrock:

JockMan
02-20-2005, 06:50 AM
anyone sent him the donation?, did he honor the deal?

dreaggan
02-20-2005, 06:53 AM
This is tits.
fucking tits I tell you.

Spinmasters
Ghostlop
NITD
Money Puzzle Exchanger

Others would be:

Captain Tomoday
Ganryu
The Irritating Maze
King of the monsters
Super Dodgeball
Zupapa!

Kizuna Encounter
Prehistoric Isle 2
Sengoku 3
Strikers 1945
Shock Troopers

I can only dream.

And don't forget "8 man" !

Orpheus
02-20-2005, 07:35 AM
This rules. About time the Neo CD gets the love it deserves. Good choices there Orpheus, but I'd take MD3 over MPE.

Yeah, the only reason I put MPE as top priority was of because the aclaim that it has with neo fans and the fact that we already have MD2 oficially released on CD (with an amazing AST).

KaNyErO
02-20-2005, 07:48 AM
guys.......

Why pay for such a kind of stuff when those conversions were made and released a long time ago? Anyway this guy put a lot of effort in this and deserves it, you should decide that.

here is a list of conversions i did with some friends:

http://www.galeon.com/kanyero/list.htm

you can grab the dat from here:

http://www.eggmansworld.com/console.htm

All this conversions were released .iso format for all of you to enjoy with neogeo emulators like nebula or other using daemon tools. You can burn them directly too.

There is an explanation because there are sound or graphic issues in the first link (memory reasons).

For all of you requesting conversions think that all possible conversions with minimal glitches were done a long time ago,i didnt do those that were in cd format because they are not needed. I dont have enought knowledge to do conversions bigger than the memory ngcd has because here more that just a irq swiching is involved.

if you are wondering where my conversion are, all of them were relased for free in some unitedusers irc channels.

***Edit: now im uploading all of them to a host*** :glee:

KaNyErO
02-20-2005, 07:55 AM
it seems my post have been very effective, iīve been offered the isos to be hosted. i will post here some links ASAP :)

neo_X7
02-20-2005, 09:52 AM
If I could get MOTW and Metal Slug 3 I would be happy with only owning a CD system. :drool:

neo_X7
02-20-2005, 09:54 AM
guys.......

Why pay for such a kind of stuff when those conversions were made and released a long time ago? Anyway this guy put a lot of effort in this and deserves it, you should decide that.

here is a list of conversions i did with some friends:

http://www.galeon.com/kanyero/list.htm

you can grab the dat from here:

http://www.eggmansworld.com/console.htm

All this conversions were released .iso format for all of you to enjoy with neogeo emulators like nebula or other using daemon tools. You can burn them directly too.

There is an explanation because there are sound or graphic issues in the first link (memory reasons).

For all of you requesting conversions think that all possible conversions with minimal glitches were done a long time ago,i didnt do those that were in cd format because they are not needed. I dont have enought knowledge to do conversions bigger than the memory ngcd has because here more that just a irq swiching is involved.

if you are wondering where my conversion are, all of them were relased for free in some unitedusers irc channels.

***Edit: now im uploading all of them to a host*** :glee:

Are you still working on that King of the Monsters?

OlderGames
02-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Yes. I am also registered on the Neo Geo CD forum.

Back from the dead aye Charles? :mr_t:

Death adder and I have been trying to get ahold of you
for the better half of a year concerning superfighter.

Email him or myself! :)

KaNyErO
02-20-2005, 02:04 PM
hi again

@ neo_X7

those games are too big to fully fit in ngcd memory so its out of my limits, better forget about them sorry

about kotm the conversion is complete, just some sounds are missing due again to ngcd memory limitation.

I think that maybe if i can downsample the pcm samples quality i can rebuild the file again so i could add even more voices to the games, but i dont know how to make that. For z80 (m1) maybe it could be removed some useless data.

Donīt worry im uploading those files, even the non working games:

Not Working - eightman.zip
Not Working - diggermanv2.zip
Not Working - diggerman.zip
Not Working - bakatono.zip
Not Working - minasan.zip
Not Working - neopong10.zip
Not Working - neopong11.zip
Not Working - puzzldpr.zip
Not Working - vliner.zip
Not Working - vlinero.zip

Maybe some experts could fix some of them.

Im having problems with my conection so i dont know when could i finish upload them but dont worry, you will have some news during this week :)

Amano Jacu
02-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Has somebody tried to burn theses isos and play them in the REAL hardware NGCD, not just emus?

KaNyErO
02-20-2005, 06:06 PM
no, iīve been requesting a tester for a long time but it seems that ngcd is not very common here in spain.

another thing i was requesting was a loader so you can choose any of the games directly from the menu and burn only just one cd for all those games and maybe more conversions (those for games that have a real ngcd version and that i never converted because of that reason).

im still having problems, iīve been able to upload some games but i still must upload most of them, i will try to finish upload tomorrow. cross your fingers :)

Amano Jacu
02-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Well, I have actually owned two NGCD units, but sold them when I turned MVS. I think I know more people here in Barcelona who might have a NGCD, I'll ask around.

JockMan
02-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Feel free to send any burns to this poor Scots man NGCD if you see fit, after all I'm just a jump over the ocean ;)

jbeedham
02-20-2005, 07:57 PM
I have a Neo geo CDZ and I am willing to test some games out if you tell me which ones I need to burn. This seems exciting!

:buttrock:

KaNyErO
02-21-2005, 08:59 AM
well here is what you have been waiting

http://www.speksnk.net/descargas/neocdconv/

please dont direct link to the files.

i just want one thing:

Please if anyone knows how to make better conversions just let me know:im interested in how to decrease v1 and m1 size mainly and how to fix those non working games.

Im also interested in ngcd to aes/mvs conversions, mainly in how to fix final romance 2 and how should adk workd and crossed swords 2 be converted.

another question im interested is make a frontend to store all those conversions in just only one cd.

Enjoy and tell me your experiencies, maybe more conversions will follow.

dreaggan
02-21-2005, 12:57 PM
I've just tryed to burn Zupapa (fixed version) and it doesn't work on my neo geo CD Z.
But, unlike the neo CD1 and neo CD2, ISOs don't work on the neo CDZ. So I don't know if the problem is due to conversion or to the neo CDZ.

Mouse_Master
02-21-2005, 01:34 PM
I can vouch for cdoty, been a while though, I think were were messing with a Puzzle De Pon conversion to the Neo CD on the Neo Homebrew list, might have been 3 or 4 years ago? I had hosted an early version of it on a site I had then........

jbeedham
02-21-2005, 03:27 PM
I am willing to try it out but what is this I hear with the CDZ? That is what I got and need to know if I need to burn it a special way or something. Do I need a boot disk (ala Dreamcast)?

nazi muerto abono pa mi huerto
02-21-2005, 03:30 PM
I am willing to try it out but what is this I hear with the CDZ? That is what I got and need to know if I need to burn it a special way or something. Do I need a boot disk (ala Dreamcast)?

No , better a CUE file than ISO

the newest games cant be played on CDZ

KaNyErO
02-21-2005, 03:31 PM
zupappa fixed version was fixed to work in nebula, the unfixed version worked fine en neocdsdl, i dunno if the original should work in real hardware (what was the problem???)

I dont know if any of those conversions work in real hardware.

Please post your comments here.

jbeedham
02-21-2005, 03:45 PM
No , better a CUE file than ISO

the newest games cant be played on CDZ

Can I play any of these games on CDZ? Or is it CD only?

02-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Can I play any of these games on CDZ? Or is it CD only?

Who knows? :smirk:

maybe the oldest...

i will try columns later on my CDZ... great game on Genesis without a doubt , veeery veeeeeery addictive, colosal battles with friends...

Columns > Tetris :D

jbeedham
02-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Who knows? :smirk:

maybe the oldest...

i will try columns later on my CDZ... great game on Genesis without a doubt , veeery veeeeeery addictive, colosal battles with friends...

Columns > Tetris :D

Columns was da bomb! I played that all the time on the Genesis. The music is cool too especially when it starts speeding up later in the game!

NeoCverA
02-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Im a lazy ass so didnt track back to the beginning but is it all that difficult to reverse this process to do NEOCD to MVS?

I realize some audio files may require downsampling etc. I'm mostly interested in NEOCD exclusive titles (those that never had an MVS/AES release).

neo_X7
02-21-2005, 08:59 PM
hi again

@ neo_X7

those games are too big to fully fit in ngcd memory so its out of my limits, better forget about them sorry

about kotm the conversion is complete, just some sounds are missing due again to ngcd memory limitation.

I think that maybe if i can downsample the pcm samples quality i can rebuild the file again so i could add even more voices to the games, but i dont know how to make that. For z80 (m1) maybe it could be removed some useless data.

Donīt worry im uploading those files, even the non working games:

Not Working - eightman.zip
Not Working - diggermanv2.zip
Not Working - diggerman.zip
Not Working - bakatono.zip
Not Working - minasan.zip
Not Working - neopong10.zip
Not Working - neopong11.zip
Not Working - puzzldpr.zip
Not Working - vliner.zip
Not Working - vlinero.zip

Maybe some experts could fix some of them.

Im having problems with my conection so i dont know when could i finish upload them but dont worry, you will have some news during this week :)

For MOTW couldn't you just make it were it would only load the Characters and back ground data in to the system memory one match at a time?

Amano Jacu
02-22-2005, 03:36 AM
Im a lazy ass so didnt track back to the beginning but is it all that difficult to reverse this process to do NEOCD to MVS?

I realize some audio files may require downsampling etc. I'm mostly interested in NEOCD exclusive titles (those that never had an MVS/AES release).

It is possible, but usually much more difficult, very few games have been able to do so far, there exist some CD->MVS conversions like Zintrick. About sounds, all the audio CD simply has to go so this games don't have any music, only sounds effect.

02-22-2005, 06:21 AM
I'm mostly interested in NEOCD exclusive titles (those that never had an MVS/AES release).

mmmmh

adk world
crossed swords 2
iron clad
neo geo cd special
zintrick
samurai shodown rpg
final romance 2
king of fighters 96 collection

i dont remember more now....maybe a quiz game...or not

KaNyErO
02-22-2005, 06:39 AM
mmmmh

adk world
crossed swords 2
iron clad
neo geo cd special
zintrick
samurai shodown rpg
final romance 2
king of fighters 96 collection

i dont remember more now....maybe a quiz game...or not

zintrick was made
final romance 2 was made but the conversion is not perfect (it reboots)
samsho rpg COULD NEVER BE MADE because its size
neo geo cd special is nothing but some demos

the only interesting games to be converted are:
adk world
crossed swords 2
iron clad
but they are too complex for me ... but if you want you can try :p

@neo_x7 as i told before its not possible just remember what happened with aof3.... but feel free to try yourself :)

Large
02-22-2005, 08:49 AM
CD-versions of homebrew games would be really, really cool. CD-versions of commercial games are just copyright infringement imo. Beware!

Cheers
Large

JMKurtz
02-22-2005, 08:54 AM
One of the sounds tools I created a while ago would allow you to convert the PCM data to WAV files, then you could do whatever you wanted to them (resample, shorten, etc), and convert them back to the Neo PCM format. I'm not sure if this is on my site or not.

You would need to modify the driver file (M1) to adjust the sample pointers. Back when I was pissing with sound (before we had our own driver), I was using a hacked Puzzle de Pon M1 that pointed to my samples. It was pretty simple to do once you figured out the data layout.

A couple things to note (at least for the YM hardware) is that the PCM data starts on 00 bounds and ends on FF bounds so in the data table, you would not see the low byte of the start and end addresses. For example, if the sample was from 0x42300 to 0x425FF, in the table, you would see 0x0423 and 0x0425. Make sense? It's been a couple years since I looked at this, but this is just something to get your moving. I'm sure I have my old notes somewhere if needed.

The easiest way to find address offsets for sounds -- hack MAME and update the YM driver to spit out the commands it receives. Then use the UNI-BIOS to play the sound sample codes. Look at the log file and see what addresses were written to the YM chip. This is the way I did it back in the day, but I didn't have the UNI-BIOS -- I had my own test roms. I would image the UNI-BIOS would make it a lot easier for messing with multiple games.

I haven't looked at any of your conversions (even my games - Columns, Poker Night, etc -- thanks for asking) but if they are not booting on real hardware, it could be a problem with the loading sequence in the IPL.TXT file, or file sizes.

I think it would have been better if you worked with Charles on this rather than trying to undermine what he is doing. At least he is making sure his conversions work on real hardware AND he has the capabilities of doing the patching that would be necessary to fix some of the common problems you are describing. You should be supportive of his work.

Jeff

KaNyErO
02-22-2005, 09:36 AM
im not trying to start a war, if you see my first post i say:

"Why pay for such a kind of stuff when those conversions were made and released a long time ago? Anyway this guy put a lot of effort in this and deserves it, you should decide that."

Anyone that wants to pay for those conversions is free to do it, i just wanted to say that i could feel bad if i pay for a conversion and then i find that they were released for free before.

I will be glad to work with cdoty if he wants: my private message inbox is ready for him.

Sorry if i didnt ask for converting your games, if you want i will remove them. I added the license where i could find it (see pokern).

About testing: i dont have a ngcd or ngcdz and i cant find any. iīve been requesting a tester for a long time. If you see some isos are more than 6 months old, but nobody wanted to help so i finally did a dat and sent the isos to some collectors that should spread them.

About Your m1 and v hacking information: looks very interesting i hope you could share it.

About the bugs: ipl.txt secuence is revised, all files are trimed to the maximum supported ngcd size, and all of them have been tested in the best ngcd emulators iīve been able to find. I dont really know if they work in real hardware but they should. It would be great to make a compability table using different emulators and real hardware (nebula, neocdsdl, neocdsld DC, Ngcd, Ngcdz). The problem with sound is that most of m1 in aes are 128k while in ngcd only 64kb are loaded. The same problem happens with v roms: ncd only can handle 1 mb.

@ large : i think having roms without the real board is ilegal too. I think snk allows the usage of its material for fan made games (for example mugen). Since the games converted are quite old and dont have support, and there are not profits with them i think there will be not problems at all

twalden
02-22-2005, 09:56 AM
I just made a Ghostlop coaster :crying:

The game loads all the way to 100% and then the system resets. It did this on both my top loader and CDZ. I'm still anxious to try cdoty's conversions though.

JMKurtz
02-22-2005, 10:36 AM
I'll guarantee that the Beast demo won't run on real hardware properly... I'm taking advantage of an emulator flaw.

I did this on purpose -- a little test -- that way if I ever decided that I wanted to release something for ROM use only (say a demo of a game), a few unscrupulous individuals wouldn't be able to burn the demo for use/sale on real hardware.

You don't have to remove my stuff -- I'm interested to see if anyone has tested them on a CD system because I never got around to testing them .

Jeff

I dont really know if they work in real hardware but they should. It would be great to make a compability table using different emulators and real hardware (nebula, neocdsdl, neocdsld DC, Ngcd, Ngcdz).

Large
02-22-2005, 10:49 AM
@ large : i think having roms without the real board is ilegal too.
Yes it is.

I think snk allows the usage of its material for fan made games (for example mugen).
No they don't. Playmore e.g. stopped the development of Neo Pong some time ago.

Since the games converted are quite old and dont have support, and there are not profits with them i think there will be not problems at all
I believe they like to make profit out of old games, too. Maybe later on in some kind of collection like Midway Arcade Treasures. Atm they sell MS3 for Xbox and PS2.

Cheers
Large

barf
02-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks Jeff for the info could prove useful :P

Sound is something i badly lack on MVS... i can play a "sound" that already exists in puzzledp, puzzled or crossed sword but that s it :(

Well, i have a hard time enough with gameplay to bother thinking about sound right now anyway ^^

kuk
02-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Hello

i copy some game in a CDRW and i try it in a CDZ and a CD1, so anyone run in a real hardware

OlderGames
02-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Yes it is.

No it's not. Changes were made to the DMCA a year
ago with a sub-section that stated if a game/software product
was to use specific hardware and providing said product and
hardware were not readily available in the marketplace that
one could own the roms for preservation purposes.

If you're talking gamecube, xbox or ps2 you can bet your
ass it's jailtime. If you're talking NG then we are talking
about a now officially non-supported format which is
and has been dead in the marketplace for years
and either through emulation or AES/MVS it does require
the specific hardware or emulated version thereof to play.

Feel free to search the net, this is common knowledge
now to most IP attourneys and game developers. :)

KaNyErO
02-22-2005, 04:30 PM
please try this games:

gururin *
neo mr do *
andro dunnos *
king of the monsters
panic bomber
puzzle de pon
legend of succes joe
janshin

maybe newer ones has any kind of protection :S

* those games were converted by cdoty and his conversions seems to work, so maybe mine should too.

for those who made coasters, have you verified your cd runs in any emulator?

i think that maybe the way the cd is burn could affect the compatibility (mode1 or mode 2, with or without CDA tracks...)..... or maybe just a bug in abs.txt bib.txt and cpy.txt .... PSSSSS DONT TOUCH IPL.TXT

edit: those txt were verified against zintrick so they should be ok

Julio
02-23-2005, 02:38 AM
I'd be so happy if Money Idol Exchanger could be converted to Neo CD ! :mr_t:

kuk
02-23-2005, 03:20 AM
Hello KaNyErO

so i try the CD with a PC émulator (NeoGeoCD), and he not run, so it's probably my copy, i will try to modificat him

Robert
02-23-2005, 03:43 AM
Since a CD conversion of some existing carts won't add better music (since there are taken from the cartdrige) and will add loading times, I don't see the point.

Amano Jacu
02-23-2005, 04:23 AM
Since a CD conversion of some existing carts won't add better music (since there are taken from the cartdrige) and will add loading times, I don't see the point.

Well, the point can be that some people own a NGCD but don't own a cart system, so this a way to play in real hardware games they were not allowed to before. This is the only reason I can see, because playing them in an PC emulator is totally pointless, better just use the regular roms. I also heard some people may want this to be able to use the Dreamcast NGCD emulator as there's no rom emulator for it, but that is, in my opinion, kinda lame (that's what the xbox rom emu is for :D )

Robert
02-23-2005, 04:31 AM
I see your point Amano and it makes sense.

Playing conversions (I wrote emu in the first place but I corrected it since I don't want to pollute this thread with an useless conversion/emulation argument) on a real hardware sounds better than playing emu on a PC/Xbox.

02-23-2005, 05:33 AM
i will try those games on my cdz when i buy some new cds.... ( da un poco palo sorry ^^U )

Large
02-23-2005, 05:34 AM

Bootlegs from Neo Geo games are legal? I still doubt this.

Cheers
Large

kuk
02-25-2005, 05:34 AM
i try to copy cd again and again but nothings run with an emulator too

Hmkay
02-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Playing conversions (...) on a real hardware sounds better than playing emu on a PC/Xbox.
PC and X-Box are fake hardware ? :p

greyimp
02-25-2005, 10:38 AM
I just made a Ghostlop coaster :crying:

$50 Shipped :tickled:

OlderGames
02-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Bootlegs from Neo Geo games are legal? I still doubt this.

Cheers
Large

Did I say that? I said ROM's. Selling bootlegs is illegal because you
are taking a profit, giving them away "which nobody would do" is
legally grey. Making a derivative of an existing copyrighted product
is also illegal less of course you are able to use more or equal to
at least 50% original work. Making CD-based derivatives of
Chip-Based games is legally grey since converting between such
formats could be argued as a ported derivative of an original
copyrighted work and therefore be original in itself as a standalone
port of said copyrighted work.

Once again... google is your friend... go meet him. :cool:

dhowerter
02-26-2005, 02:35 AM
This project is friggin cool..

BTW, no chance at all for porting Metal Slug 3 to Neo CD?

(If amount of room is a problem, could you make it a 2 cd game?)

Also, Id LOVE to see the following ported from MVS to Neo CD:

- Shock Troopers

- Shock Troopers 2

- Metal Slug 3

- Metal Slug X

- Blazing Star

:D

Oh yeah and will the Neo CD emulator on Dreamcast play Burned Neo CD games? (either in its current version (9.3) or eventually?)

Because while getting say, Blazing Star, on Neo CD is darn cool, playing it on a Dreamcast (with virtually NO load times at all) is even COOLER :)

Amano Jacu
02-26-2005, 05:30 AM
PC and X-Box are fake hardware ? :p

Yes :cool:

Kumavnmitsurugi
02-26-2005, 10:52 AM
Just wanted to report that i burned Zupapa and tryed it on my neogeo CD. THe thing just loads for a while, and then the screen goes back to the neo CD sign that loads up when you start the machine (it loops)

so i guess zupapa doesnt work on a real neo cd :crying:

kernow
02-26-2005, 07:12 PM
ms3... HAHAA

kuk
02-27-2005, 06:35 AM
Just wanted to report that i burned Zupapa and tryed it on my neogeo CD. THe thing just loads for a while, and then the screen goes back to the neo CD sign that loads up when you start the machine (it loops)

so i guess zupapa doesnt work on a real neo cd :crying:

the Neo Geo Cd begin to loading or she don't know the CD ?

Tehcno
02-27-2005, 11:40 AM
Oh yeah and will the Neo CD emulator on Dreamcast play Burned Neo CD games? (either in its current version (9.3) or eventually?)

Yes, it plays the real games or burned ones.

The Legendary LoneWolf
02-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Can someone make all neo CD 's play on x-box as I am sick of playing all my neo CD's on my neo CD as I can't keep bothering 2 play them all.
My friend said he's got one that has all AES games BUT I HATE the AES music, so can one make all neo CD s play on x-box and still have ALL the music and make it save like that and even play music like in the beginning ?

PM me if u can

blastar
02-27-2005, 01:37 PM
i'm the author of neonopanepon, 2500 and systemcheck - i never released a cd-version and i don't like this hacked fake-releases.

please remove this ASAP!

blastar...

KaNyErO
02-27-2005, 03:14 PM
i'm the author of neonopanepon, 2500 and systemcheck - i never released a cd-version and i don't like this hacked fake-releases.

please remove this ASAP!

blastar...

Ok all your works have been deleted, sorry for the inconveniences, there wont be more hacked games from your works.

for those making coasters: try to verify if your games run in emulators, and try to burn the older games not just those newer games.

KaNyErO
02-27-2005, 03:33 PM
ok dont spend more cds...... it seems they dont work in real hardware but it works in dreamcast emulators.

maybe there are problems with .txt files or just with the mode they are burn :(

the most usual error is

ERROR = 0002 subchannel data missing or "corrupt"

maybe there is another way to fix this, perhaps extracting files from the iso and making a mixed cd with 2 tracks the data track and one cda ???

kuk
02-28-2005, 03:44 AM
i try it before:
mixed cd with 1 track
mixed cd with 4 tracks

Soulement
02-28-2005, 12:05 PM
I was looking around the neogeocd.net forums and found some burning instructions posted by cdoty for his Joy Joy Kid conversion http://www.egameaddiction.com/forums/index.php?topic=1486.0 has anyone tried them yet?

To KaNyErO: I have a few ideas to try with the cd conversions, so would it be ok if I sent you a PM?

KaNyErO
02-28-2005, 03:23 PM
I was looking around the neogeocd.net forums and found some burning instructions posted by cdoty for his Joy Joy Kid conversion http://www.egameaddiction.com/forums/index.php?topic=1486.0 has anyone tried them yet?

To KaNyErO: I have a few ideas to try with the cd conversions, so would it be ok if I sent you a PM?

of course not problem at all, not just for that but for everybody and everything
:)

dhowerter
02-28-2005, 11:39 PM
"ok dont spend more cds...... it seems they dont work in real hardware but it works in dreamcast emulators."

Well, working on the NEO CD on DC emulator (on Dreamcast) is better than only working on PC emus -_- or not at all...

Keep at it :) We apprecviate your effort :buttrock:

The Legendary LoneWolf
03-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Is there a way to play neo CD roms on diff systems as I can't be bothered 2 drag out my neo CD and all 98 odd games.

Like 1 DVD with everything or even 2 or 3, NOT AES as I threw that away, on any thing, possible X-box

cdoty
03-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Anyone that wants to pay for those conversions is free to do it, i just wanted to say that i could feel bad if i pay for a conversion and then i find that they were released for free before.

My main motivation in collecting a small donation is to help pay for bandwidth and CDs. If I posted these CDs on my site, I can almost guarantee I would exceed my bandwidth limits.

And, every game posted has been tested on a real top loading NeoGeo CD player (Japanese version). Getting the first one to work took at least 15-20 cds (probably more).

KaNyErO
03-11-2005, 07:23 AM
My main motivation in collecting a small donation is to help pay for bandwidth and CDs. If I posted these CDs on my site, I can almost guarantee I would exceed my bandwidth limits.

And, every game posted has been tested on a real top loading NeoGeo CD player (Japanese version). Getting the first one to work took at least 15-20 cds (probably more).

ok i understand that but if you want a better host contact with me, im sure you could host your isos in the same place where i hosted the conversions i did.

and yes its hard to make it work in a real ngcd, i think my conversions doesnt work but i have 2 ideas where the problem may be:

1- the aditional readme.txt (thanks to Soulement for the idea)....
2- maybe a problem in the program rom header....

but as i told befere i cant test and when i told i need help nobody did.

well anyone interested in those games is free to modify them ....

Amano Jacu
03-11-2005, 07:31 AM
Is there a way to play neo CD roms on diff systems as I can't be bothered 2 drag out my neo CD and all 98 odd games.

Like 1 DVD with everything or even 2 or 3, NOT AES as I threw that away, on any thing, possible X-box

Welcome to the last few years... With a modded Xbox (or a regular PC) you can have all the Neo Geo games (AES/MVS version) in one DVD, and also from many other systems, via emulation.

asshat
03-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Well here are some questions - recommendations...

A long time ago I asked the question: "Can you add more RAM to the NeoCD to get it to load more stuff in memory" and I got a No. But if you are doing these conversions from scratch couldn't you develop a hardware upgrade to add another 256MB of RAM to the Neo and then convert it so it WILL take advantage of this new RAM?

Also, regarding the music, couldn't you snag PSX/Saturn/Dreamcast versions and burn them in as Neo music? Same with sound effects? The sound effects demo in some programs should allow you to easily snag all the sounds.

KaNyErO
03-13-2005, 07:43 AM
hi asshat thanks for your recomendations:

first of all i dont know if modding the console could help. Think that if (im not wrong) you should desolde your memory chips and put newer ones. There is not any waranty that ne new chip could work, even if the console works with that extra ram im not sure if the console could handle that extra memory.

If it worked think that maybe you could even load motw conversions in your console but if a 7 mb conversion takes 1 minute to load, the latest games could take 15-20 minutes easily.

about the music/sound effects, it would require rebuilding all the m1/v1 files, think that zintrick conversion is the same. Razoola told that the music in zintrick was tracked but somehow enabled, but nowadays nobody was able to enable it.

The arraged sound tracks could be easily added to the real games, making a backup but that could make the console have reading errors.

The only advantage could be in neocd emulators where emulate extra memory for z80/pcm may help, creating new isos so that the sound could be complete.

The Legendary LoneWolf
03-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Welcome to the last few years... With a modded Xbox (or a regular PC) you can have all the Neo Geo games (AES/MVS version) in one DVD, and also from many other systems, via emulation.

Sorry forgot 2 type I have that version and I can't STAND the music, I want 2 hear the Neo CD music.

Amano Jacu
03-23-2005, 04:14 PM
There's also a NGCD emulator (with CD music) for PC and Xbox, but possibly you wouldn't be able to fit all games in just 1 DVD. I think it is even possible to "mod" the regular MVS/AES roms to replace the music for the one extracted from the NGCD soundtrack, and therefore use the regular rom-based emulators with them, but I don't know how it works.

blastar
03-24-2005, 03:25 AM
...I think it is even possible to "mod" the regular MVS/AES roms to replace the music for the one extracted from the NGCD soundtrack, and therefore use the regular rom-based emulators with them, but I don't know how it works.

is not possible!

blastar...

Amano Jacu
03-24-2005, 05:38 AM
It is possible, it's only that I didn't want to explain it in detail, and maybe you thought I was claiming some other thing.

Using the Nebula emulator, if you have the CD soundtrack of a game in mp3 format and winamp installed, it is possible to create a file called "tracklist" that tells the emu what mp3 to play when a particular music from the rom should be played, for example something like this:

;This is a sample TrackList
;Lines starting in ; are comments and are ignored
[Tracks]

;Old method for
;Min and Max music codes:
;MusicLow=0721
;MusicHigh=074f

;New method
Musics=0721-074f,0821-084f

;this is a sample mp3 track
0721=d:\mp3\KOF98 - OST - Track 1.mp3
;this is a sample CD audio track
0722=f:\track01.cda
;this is a sample mp3 that doesn't loop
0723=d:\mp3\KOF98 - OST - Track 3.mp3||NOREPEAT

Therefore, you are playing the regular AES/MVS rom but the music played is the one from a CD soundtrack.

Credits to Wesker from speksnk for this info, this is the original complete Spanish version of this tutorial:

http://speksnk.net/foro/viewtopic.php?t=54004

blastar
03-24-2005, 05:52 AM
yes, this is possible but its not a mod of the rom... nebula only remaps the sound-codes (you can use this for forcefeedback too!!!) - mod/hack the mvs/ngh-rom with cda-tracks (for use with other emulators) is impossible!

blastar...

Amano Jacu
03-24-2005, 06:16 AM
That's why I said "mod" between " ", I didn't want to give more details, specially using my 3rd language. Sorry for the confusion. The outcome is the same, though: you get CD-quality music with a ROM-based emu.

norton9478
03-29-2005, 07:15 PM

I believe that said statement only applies to libaries.

RENT-A-HERO
04-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Can I use these games in a Neo Geo CDZ system?

blastar
04-28-2005, 03:31 PM
no!

blastar...

RENT-A-HERO
04-28-2005, 04:22 PM
:crying: There is no way?

RENT-A-HERO
04-29-2005, 06:18 AM
BUMP :multi_co: for the question... I'dlike to buy a Neo CDZ but if there are many problem, is it better to buy a Toploading?

ShinAkuma
07-03-2005, 10:13 AM
" it seems they dont work in real hardware but it works in dreamcast emulators."
hello there!

just to say that its a good work to all those interresting new to convert neogeo K7 to CD!

i find at NFORCE a released of KOF2003 for dreamcast.... can anybody help me?
that is a NEOGEO/PLAYMORE game from ROM converted to NEO CD and runing on dreamcast or just a FAKE?

thx You

dogtoy
07-03-2005, 10:20 AM
" it seems they dont work in real hardware but it works in dreamcast emulators."
hello there!

just to say that its a good work to all those interresting new to convert neogeo K7 to CD!

i find at NFORCE a released of KOF2003 for dreamcast.... can anybody help me?
that is a NEOGEO/PLAYMORE game from ROM converted to NEO CD and runing on dreamcast or just a FAKE?

thx You

This could just be KOF 2003 released for dreamcast. I'm not sure that it is, i know KOF 2002 was released on dreamcast.

cheers,
-DT

Amano Jacu
07-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Most likely it's a fake or mistake, KoF 03 wasn't released on DC or NGCD (and it can't be "converted" to NGCD). The only way to play it on DC would be emulating the ROM, but that is highly unlikely.

dogtoy
07-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Most likely it's a fake or mistake, KoF 03 wasn't released on DC or NGCD (and it can't be "converted" to NGCD). The only way to play it on DC would be emulating the ROM, but that is highly unlikely.

It's probably just KOF02 or completely fake then. Could even be something like Capcom vs. SNK.

-DT

ShinAkuma
07-04-2005, 08:38 PM
It's probably just KOF02 or completely fake then. Could even be something like Capcom vs. SNK.

-DT

nforce with FAKE !???

I think that is probalby a NEOGEO ROM... like dogtoy said that is impossible to have it converted to neogeo cd!!!!

dogtoy
07-04-2005, 11:56 PM
nforce with FAKE !???

I think that is probalby a NEOGEO ROM... like dogtoy said that is impossible to have it converted to neogeo cd!!!!

Actually Amano Jacu said that, but he was quite correct.

cheers,
-DT

Gshep
10-30-2005, 12:56 AM
[QUOTE=dogtoy]This could just be KOF 2003 released for dreamcast. I'm not sure that it is, i know KOF 2002 was released on dreamcast.

KOF ran from 2 ver of 99 (Evolution and Dream Match) through to KOF-2K2. I have been compiling lists and researching and getting it whittled down. I should have at least a 80% FULL RELEASE list for the DC very soon. ------ not sure when I will be ready to post any where.

At any rate I was poking around anfigured I would put in my 2 cents

G
ANY ONE WANA HELP WITH MY LIST ? :help: ? :help: ? PM me, please ?? :help:

Gshep
10-30-2005, 01:02 AM
All the KOF's that were released on the CDZ system are as follows:

King Of Fighters 94 (SNK)(1994)
King Of Fighters 95 (SNK)(1995)
King Of Fighters 96 (SNK)(1996)
King Of Fighters 96 NG Collection (SNK)(1997)
King Of Fighters 97 (SNK)(1997)
King Of Fighters 98 (SNK)(1998)
King Of Fighters 99 (SNK)(1999)

And this was taken from the "Master" list here on this site sa a matter of fact.
Sory I just found it after I posted.
G

greedostick
10-30-2005, 01:24 AM
Yep, it's not neo geo without Miracle adventure. Glad some else realises this game is the shat.

This is tits.
fucking tits I tell you.

Spinmasters
Ghostlop
NITD
Money Puzzle Exchanger

Others would be:

Captain Tomoday
Ganryu
The Irritating Maze
King of the monsters
Super Dodgeball
Zupapa!

Kizuna Encounter
Prehistoric Isle 2
Sengoku 3
Strikers 1945
Shock Troopers

I can only dream.

Fakk2
02-23-2006, 07:13 PM
anyone have a working link to these conversions?

genjuro1
02-25-2006, 11:54 PM
"ok dont spend more cds...... it seems they dont work in real hardware but it works in dreamcast emulators."

Well, working on the NEO CD on DC emulator (on Dreamcast) is better than only working on PC emus -_- or not at all...

Keep at it :) We apprecviate your effort :buttrock:

Excuse me if I haven't been keeping up. But has the NEO CD on DC emulator been fined tuned to work right? Last I checked, there were a lot of problems with it.

If it is finally working right, can somebody direct me on where to get a hold of it?

vintage
02-27-2006, 09:09 PM
why go through all the trouble of converting? neocdlx emu for the xbox works perfect with the orignal or cdr if you have a samsung dvd drive in your box?

kof 2002 was the last release kof on dreamcast
of note the dreamcast cannot emulate neo-geo games to full speed limited by the 20mb of ram, however everything is emulated on the xbox and works at full speed:buttrock: thank god for finalburn xxx pro:kekeke:

also of note kof neowave has been released for the ps2 and xbox the ps2 version looks sweet:tickled:

RENT-A-HERO
03-02-2006, 03:23 PM
This thread is still alive! Whoaaaa! There are news about Neocd conversions? 'cause the links before are dead!

Fakk2
03-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Vintage, I want the Neo-Geo CD Conversions for use on my CDZ unit. I have not bought an Xbox for anything. I have no intrest in Xbox or its 2 popular games, or its Emulation. The PC has those 2 games and its better on the PC anyways, and so is Emulation for that matter. :P

NeoCverA
03-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Anyone try these conversions on the PSP NeoCD Emulator?

which conversions have been confirmed working on PC EMU?

Neo Si
03-13-2006, 12:51 PM
http://neogeocd.chaos89.com/

Murray
03-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Has anyone donated there recently and gotten a link? That page hasn't been updated in ages so I've been a little hesitant to throw money at it.

RENT-A-HERO
03-16-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm also wondering it

Tachibana
04-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Just found this (http://assemblergames.com./forums/showthread.php?t=9428) on the Assembler Forum (= "package" shot of the 4 conversions).

EddyIori
04-05-2006, 12:24 PM
I would love to play Andro Dunos on my Front Loading Neo CD but need to know if someone do have this converted game and if it is complete if works with no problem. I canīt afford to waste money...

redrum666
04-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Just found this (http://assemblergames.com./forums/showthread.php?t=9428) on the Assembler Forum (= "package" shot of the 4 conversions).

the link is not working :crying:

Murray
04-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Try this:

http://assemblergames.com.nyud.net:8090/forums/showthread.php?t=9428

That's what I had to use to see it.

cdoty
04-11-2006, 01:43 PM
I still send our links, but I haven't converted any more games.

I am looking into converting Nightmare in the Dark.

kingbuzzo
04-13-2006, 04:55 AM
Excuse me if I haven't been keeping up. But has the NEO CD on DC emulator been fined tuned to work right? Last I checked, there were a lot of problems with it.

If it is finally working right, can somebody direct me on where to get a hold of it?

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.php/Main/Neo4All (neo geo cd)

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.php/Main/Neo4All-AES (neo geo mvs)

Both these emu's have seen some hefty updates. Many games run fullspeed, especially neo geo cd games. However, cdda seems to be an issue, and real discs don't seem to work most of the time. You'll need to burn a backup.

Sly DC
08-09-2006, 02:25 AM
Hi Folks!!

Just slammed together a mini-faq on how to port MVS roms to play on a real Neo-Geo CD system (and it really works!!):

MVS to CD Conversion How-To:
----------------------------

Here's a quick "How-To" to port Neo Geo MVS roms to a real Neo Geo CD system.

Iq_132 has made a quick step-by-step with tools to port MVS roms,
here's his details (taken from a page at the NeoSource Forum):

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, you must make sure that you are dealing with a very tiny neo-geo rom or
you will end up having to cut a lot of precious data out and will end up with
a glitchy game.

The "P" (M68K program) rom must be less than or equal to 2 Megabytes
The "S" (text) rom must be less than or equal to 128 Kilobytes
The "C" (sprites) rom(s) must be less than or equal to 4 Megabytes total
The "M" (Z80 program) rom must be less than or equal to 64 Kilobytes
The "V" (samples) rom(s) must be less than or equal to 1 Megabyte total

If the roms above are larger than this, you will have to remove and discard part
of the rom.

Now, onto the actual conversion:

M68K Program (P):

1. Byteswap the entire rom (swap byte 1 with byte 2, byte 3 with byte 4, etc..)
2. Swap two sets of bytes at address 0x66 and 0x6A of the program
3. Name your output prg.prg (Can be different)

Sprites (C):

1. Read two bytes from your C1
2. Byteswap the bytes from part 1
3. Read two bytes from your C2
4. Byteswap the bytes from part 3
5. Repeat steps 1-4 until your new rom is 4 Megabytes in size
A. Your output file may be smaller if your roms are tiny
6. Save the ouput file as spr.spr (Can be different)

Text (S):

1. Make sure your S1 rom is within the size-limit boundaries
2. Rename your S1 rom to fix.fix (Can be different)

Z80 Program (M):

1. Make sure your M rom is within the size-limit boundaries
2. Rename your M rom to z81.z80 (Can be different)

Samples (V):

1. You may only use one V rom, so if you have more than one, find a tool to
merge them
2. Make sure your (merged?) V rom is within the size-limit boundaries
3. Rename your V rom to pcm1.pcm (Can be different)

Lastly, you will need a few text files:

- IPL.TXT (This file is very important!)
- ABS.TXT
- BIB.TXT
- CPY.TXT

IPL.TXT is the most important, it tells the Neo-Geo machine which files to
load first, it usually contains something similar to this:

FIX.FIX,0,0
Z81.Z80,0,0
PCM1.PCM,0,0
SPR.SPR,0,0
PRG.PRG,0,0

After doing all that, you need to take the xxx.PRG file and open it up with
a HEX editor and change 14 bytes. I've checked the "conversion" of JoyJoyKid
of CDoty and found that he changed 14 bytes between 0x0042 to 0x0063, which is
part of the boot sequence (IRQ). I've compared it to the "L.PRG" file found in
"ADK World CD" and the changed bytes matches exacty except the 0x0063 which
CDoty replaced with the byte [E0] instead of byte [32]. The [E0] can be found
in any AES N0xxxx1A.038 ROM.

Here's the list of the bytes to change needed to boot on a real Neo Geo CD:

Adress: Original Byte: New Byte:
-------------------------------------------------------------
0x0042 04 05
0x0043 26 22
0x0046 04 05
0x0047 26 28
0x004A 04 05
0x004B 26 2E
0x004E 04 05
0x004F 26 34
0x0052 04 05
0x0053 26 3A
0x0057 26 F2
0x005B 26 EC
0x005F 26 E6
0x0063 (*) 32 E0
-------------------------------------------------------------

(*) = The 0x0063 can be changed to either [E0] which tells
the CPU that's the game is a AES version or with [32]
which tell the CPU that's is a MVS/CD version.

Now, with these changes, you will be able to boot any MVS-to-CD port.

About the JoyJoyKid porting of CDoty, here's all the details i've checked
with a Hex Editor and a "compare files" option after doing a port with
iq_132 tools:

CDoty version: MVS-to-CD port: Hex Compare:
021_S1.FIX 021_S1.BIN No difference!
021_M1.Z80 021_M1.BIN 336 additional bytes in the
021_M1.BIN (at the end)
021_P1.PRG 021_P1.PRG (onced 14 bytes differs. See above.
byteswapped with tool)
021_PCM.PCM 021_V1.BIN +
021_V2.BIN = No difference!
021_V01.BIN (merge the
the files with a hex
editor)
021_C1.SPR 021_C1.SPR (onced No difference!
byteswapped with tool)

Here's a list of port i've made which successely boots on a real Neo-Geo CD
game system (as of August 03, 2006):

Ports made by Sly DC:
-------------------------------------------
01) Andro Dunos (perfect!)
02) Puzzle de Pon [KaNeRyO port, fixed boot sequence] (perfect!)
03) Puzzle de Pon R (perfect!)
04) Eight Man (Has a few sound issues)
05) King of the Monsters (has sounds issues)
06) Neo Mr. Do (Has a few sound issues)
07) Panic Bomber (has sounds issues)
08) Pop 'N' Bounce (Has a few sound issues)
09) Blut Engel FRENCH (perfect!) [Translated for myself :) ]
10) Codename - Blut Engel BETA 050423 (perfect!)
11) Columns (perfect!)
12) Frog Feast (perfect!)
13) Poker Night (perfect!)

PLEASE don't ask me for any of those ISO's, i won't release them. It's
only for learning how-to port games and for my personnal pleasure since
i'm respecting the works/copyrights of "Homebrewers" and the companies
whom released games for the NEo-Geo AES/MVS/CD.

This document may be copied, in whole or in part, by any means provided
the copyright and contributors sections remain intact and no fee is charged
for the information. Contributors retain the copyright to their individual
contributions.

The data contained here in is provided for [INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES
ONLY!]. No warranty is made with regards to the accuracy of some
informations.

Thanks for reading! :)

--- Sly DC ---

werejag
08-09-2006, 04:24 AM
cool

now we need last hope romz

Murray
08-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Well there goes my free time for the next week.

werejag
08-09-2006, 03:48 PM
lol

pixeljunkie
08-09-2006, 04:17 PM
i want to see video/screenshots of this working

CADMAN2K
08-09-2006, 05:47 PM
I guess that they will work on a CDZ, I think you just need to get round the CDZ's protection that kicks in when trying to play copied games.
That would be the only reason I would think where incompatabilty was an Issue.

Fakk2
08-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Its to bad, out of the 4 games Cdoty did conversions for, only 1 of them seems to work on my CDZ unit. and that is Andro Dunos and the colors are severly messed up. :P

Neo Alec
08-09-2006, 10:42 PM
CDoty's work fine for me on the regular CD.

I tried doing some of these today, for games I own on MVS, and didn't get anything to boot quite properly. I don't understand some of the directions. I looked at the site you got it from, and it seems it's written for hardcore emulator people who will stop at nothing to force the game to work. Like, where it says to merge the files, how do I do that? How do I cut down files to make them fit without corrupting them entirely? And the sprites section of the instructions I don't understand at all.

werejag
08-10-2006, 05:03 AM
simple dos command

copy /b file1+file2+files3 outputfile

for copying files together

kuk
08-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Hello

the programmer Kanyero work for the Conversion MVS to AES, it's an good way, i beta test 9 Games with succes, i think when all are ok he will do an annonce

Murray
08-10-2006, 08:56 AM
2. Swap two sets of bytes at address 0x66 and 0x6A of the program
Could you elaborate a little on this? Does this mean open the rom in a hex editor and swap the two bytes starting at 0x66 with the two bytes starting at 0x6A?

Also, copy /b won't work for merging the C roms since they need to be interleaved. If I get some spare time at work today, I can probably throw something together to do that since I don't know of anything preexisting that will.

Byteswapping was easy enough because there's a tool on Eidolon's Inn (http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=6&offset=0&sort_mode=fileId_asc) that will do that.

Using an oversized Z80 rom may take some experimenting (and probably luck). For a 128K file, do you just truncate it at 64K or use only every second byte or what?

JMKurtz
08-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Well, that's easy enough to do...

I guess that they will work on a CDZ, I think you just need to get round the CDZ's protection that kicks in when trying to play copied games.
That would be the only reason I would think where incompatabilty was an Issue.

JMKurtz
08-10-2006, 09:16 AM
The homebrew dev kit that is on my site (www.neobitz.com) has a utility I wrote for doing all sorts of byte swapping, splitting, etc...

I've pulled the utility out for you -- you can download it here:

http://www.neobitz.com/downloads/romwak.zip

Of course, you can download the entire dev kit and write a game while you're at it :)

Jeff

Could you elaborate a little on this? Does this mean open the rom in a hex editor and swap the two bytes starting at 0x66 with the two bytes starting at 0x6A?

Also, copy /b won't work for merging the C roms since they need to be interleaved. If I get some spare time at work today, I can probably throw something together to do that since I don't know of anything preexisting that will.

Byteswapping was easy enough because there's a tool on Eidolon's Inn (http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=6&offset=0&sort_mode=fileId_asc) that will do that.

Using an oversized Z80 rom may take some experimenting (and probably luck). For a 128K file, do you just truncate it at 64K or use only every second byte or what?

Neo Alec
08-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Thank you. Good information posted here. I could combine the files on DOS, but I noticed that CDoty's Puzzle de Pon actually keeps the two in separate files and then calls them both in the boot file. I tried doing that with my own, and it didn't work at all. But CDoty's works.

How do you do this part?

Sprites (C):

1. Read two bytes from your C1
2. Byteswap the bytes from part 1
3. Read two bytes from your C2
4. Byteswap the bytes from part 3
5. Repeat steps 1-4 until your new rom is 4 Megabytes in size
A. Your output file may be smaller if your roms are tiny
6. Save the ouput file as spr.spr (Can be different)

Also, how do you cut down 128k file to a 64k file without ruining it?

I tried changing the E0 part at byte 63 in CDoty's to 32, and it didn't do a damn thing to the game when I burned and booted it. Does that thing really do anything? Because I don't understand what is meant by AES or MVS/CD version.

Murray
08-10-2006, 10:23 AM
The homebrew dev kit that is on my site (www.neobitz.com) has a utility I wrote for doing all sorts of byte swapping, splitting, etc...

Of course, you can download the entire dev kit and write a game while you're at it :)Well that's all kinds of useful. Definitely got the whole kit. :)

Edit for Neo Alec: It looks like the romwak utility JMKurtz posted will do the C rom combining. The "byte merge" option, if I understand right.

Neo Alec
08-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Thank you for the utility. I will definitely check it out.

Sly DC
08-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi all,

For those who want the tools that i took tomake the porting of MVS games,
here's the link of the page of iq_132 tools and his informations about his tools:

http://neosource.1emulation.com/forums/index.php?topic=371.msg3114#msg3114

But the GFXCNV.EXE has a bug, it's been reported to iq_132 has he will release
a fix version for his GFXCNV.EXE. In the meantime, i'm using the NG to NGCD.exe
tool from SpekSNK (www.speksnk.es), which works great.

@ JMKurtz: Hi! Hope you don't mind that i did ports of Columns and Poker Night
for playing themon a real Neo-Geo CD system. If you want the ISO's, let me
know. I'll be glad to give them to you! :)

--- Sly DC ---

Neo Alec
08-10-2006, 10:45 AM
here's the link of the page of iq_132 tools and his informations about his tools:

Got them already, and they seemed to be useless to me. Looked like they were more for making it work on an emulator. There's a tool in there that claims to make a CD of Pochi & Nyaa. Furthermore, they didn't seem to run on my Windows XP.

Murray
08-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Got them already, and they seemed to be useless to me. Looked like they were more for making it work on an emulator. There's a tool in there that claims to make a CD of Pochi & Nyaa. Furthermore, they didn't seem to run on my Windows XP.I just used them to generate files for Puzzle De Pon R and it works fine in an emulator. Using those tools generated a slightly different prg.prg than following the instructions (I'm sure I just misunderstood them) and a completely different spr.spr than romwak did (word merge instead of byte merge, I guess).

I'll give it a shot on real hardware tonight.

Edit: I'm using XP and the tools worked fine for me. They are command line only, though.

Neo Alec
08-10-2006, 11:36 AM
I just used them to generate files for Puzzle De Pon R and it works fine in an emulator. Using those tools generated a slightly different prg.prg than following the instructions (I'm sure I just misunderstood them) and a completely different spr.spr than romwak did (word merge instead of byte merge, I guess).

I'll give it a shot on real hardware tonight.

Edit: I'm using XP and the tools worked fine for me. They are command line only, though.
When I try to run the exe it just says command not recognized and closes.

JMKurtz
08-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Nah, I don't mind at all since they are the public/free versions.

Jeff

Hi all,

But the GFXCNV.EXE has a bug, it's been reported to iq_132 has he will release
a fix version for his GFXCNV.EXE. In the meantime, i'm using the NG to NGCD.exe
tool from SpekSNK (www.speksnk.es), which works great.

@ JMKurtz: Hi! Hope you don't mind that i did ports of Columns and Poker Night
for playing themon a real Neo-Geo CD system. If you want the ISO's, let me
know. I'll be glad to give them to you! :)

--- Sly DC ---

Fakk2
08-10-2006, 05:37 PM
well, when you guys get some games working on the CDZ please let me know so I can grab them and play them on my CDZ console.

I would really like to see Pochi and Nyaa on NeoGeoCD. :)

Sly DC
08-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Hi Again All! :)

@JMKurtz: Cool! So i have you blessing to post the ISO's "Columns" and "Poker Night". I"ll gather up a small Neo page on my web site with you two game, tools, the how-to...etc..etc... so that people can make their own ports and also play your two games on their real CD system. :) :) :)

@Fakk2: JMKurtz told me about the CDZ boot protection found in the IPL.TXT. Before replying to his PM, i took a look with a Hex Editor and seems that the protection is not included. Since i don't have a CDZ, i can't garantee that it will work on a real CDZ. So onced the two games posted on my web page, would you try to burn one of them and test it out ?

@Neo Alec: Weird...because for porting the MVS roms, i'm using WinXP but you have to open-up a command prompt (click on Start, All programs, Accessories, and click on the Command Prompt), after which you'll have a DOS prompt windowed and be able to put the command lines.

@For everyone who wants to make their own ports: the GFXCNV.EXE tool has a bug in it, me and KaNyEro reported it to iq_132 and the fixed version hasn't been uploaded yet. I'll put the NG to NGCD.exe tool (for swapping the C1/C2 files to SPR) on my web page. The tool is in spanish but it's very, very easy to use.

So keep an eye out for my Neo-Geo web page on how to port MVS roms to a real NGCD system. Onced finished the page, i'll post the URL.

Take care everybody! :)

--- Sly DC ---

Fakk2
08-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Hi Again All! :)

@JMKurtz: Cool! So i have you blessing to post the ISO's "Columns" and "Poker Night". I"ll gather up a small Neo page on my web site with you two game, tools, the how-to...etc..etc... so that people can make their own ports and also play your two games on their real CD system. :) :) :)

@Fakk2: JMKurtz told me about the CDZ boot protection found in the IPL.TXT. Before replying to his PM, i took a look with a Hex Editor and seems that the protection is not included. Since i don't have a CDZ, i can't garantee that it will work on a real CDZ. So onced the two games posted on my web page, would you try to burn one of them and test it out ?

@Neo Alec: Weird...because for porting the MVS roms, i'm using WinXP but you have to open-up a command prompt (click on Start, All programs, Accessories, and click on the Command Prompt), after which you'll have a DOS prompt windowed and be able to put the command lines.

@For everyone who wants to make their own ports: the GFXCNV.EXE tool has a bug in it, me and KaNyEro reported it to iq_132 and the fixed version hasn't been uploaded yet. I'll put the NG to NGCD.exe tool (for swapping the C1/C2 files to SPR) on my web page. The tool is in spanish but it's very, very easy to use.

So keep an eye out for my Neo-Geo web page on how to port MVS roms to a real NGCD system. Onced finished the page, i'll post the URL.

Take care everybody! :)

--- Sly DC ---

just PM me your URL to your webpage and I can test out your games no problem when you are ready. :)

werejag
08-11-2006, 01:09 AM
how about a proof of concept kit.

a tutorial if you will, with a rom downloadable to a working cd

all tools and guidence

use a homebrew rom so we are legal

Sly DC
08-11-2006, 01:18 AM
just PM me your URL to your webpage and I can test out your games no problem when you are ready. :)

No problem. As soon it is finished, i'll PM you. And thanks in advanced to test
out the games. :)

As for Pochi and Nyaa on NeoGeoCD, didn't tried to port it since it's quite big.
See here why:

Z80: 512k (max is 64k)
PCM: 04m (max is 01meg)
FIX: 128k (no problem here)
SPR: 16m (max is 04meg)
PRG: 512k (no problem)

So the Z80, PCM and SPR files have to be cut down, which can mean that the game can be quite unplayable. Especially the SPR since we can use only 25%
(04 megs of 16megs) which can imply characters, sprites,background not displayed.

The only way to be able to make the game work would be to cut the 3 big files
into smaller chunks and disassemble the PRG and change the pointers to each small chunks, which i can't do it since i don't have any 68K programming knowledge.

Is someone here a brainy on 68K programming ? And also, is there a 68K disassembler to use under windows ? Or have a scanned of the official programming book ?

So much questions...sigh! (going :loco: here...LOL!!)

--- Sly DC ---

Sly DC
08-11-2006, 01:24 AM
how about a proof of concept kit.

a tutorial if you will, with a rom downloadable to a working cd

all tools and guidence

use a homebrew rom so we are legal

Humm...quite a great idea you have there werejag.

Ok, give me some time to make the web page with screenshots and all.

--- Sly DC ---

werejag
08-11-2006, 04:58 AM
thanks for listening

Neo Alec
08-11-2006, 10:10 AM
well, when you guys get some games working on the CDZ please let me know so I can grab them and play them on my CDZ console.

I would really like to see Pochi and Nyaa on NeoGeoCD. :)
I doubt that Pochi & Nyaa will run on a real Neo Geo CD system. I believe that tool is just to force it to work on Neo CD emulator. The game would need to stop and load several times after boot, and no one seems willing to tackle separate in-game loads at this point.

I tried one of CDoty's that works fine for me in a regular CD system on the CDZ, and it wouldn't even detect the disc. The CDZ simply won't read most CDR's, it just keeps coming up "Please insert disc" so it doesn't matter what's in the boot file.

Murray
08-11-2006, 10:28 AM
I tried the PDPR conversion I did yesterday and, while it works fine in an emulator, my top loader won't recognize the disc as a game (only as an audio cd). I guess I'm probably building the ISO wrong since the CDoty Joy Joy Kid boots just fine. Does anyone have any pointers?

Neo Alec
08-11-2006, 10:57 AM
I tried the PDPR conversion I did yesterday and, while it works fine in an emulator, my top loader won't recognize the disc as a game (only as an audio cd). I guess I'm probably building the ISO wrong since the CDoty Joy Joy Kid boots just fine. Does anyone have any pointers?
Did you have all of the needed text files burned on your disc? You did a mixed mode just like CDoty's directions on his page say? Do the files in your boot file match the filenames on the disc?

Mine at least show up as games and boot in my system, but then they screw up after the loading screen.

Murray
08-11-2006, 11:17 AM
It wasn't mixed mode, so it may be that. I'll add a dummy audio track and try that.

Otherwise, all the text files were there, the files were all there, and the names all matched.

Neo Alec
08-11-2006, 11:27 AM
It wasn't mixed mode, so it may be that. I'll add a dummy audio track and try that.

Otherwise, all the text files were there, the files were all there, and the names all matched.
Yep, there's your problem. Mixed mode, dummy audio track. If you're using Nero, make sure the program files are in the top window, and the audio is in the bottom one.

Neo Alec
08-11-2006, 02:33 PM
could you list a few games that got released for mvs and aes that i could make a cd conversion of. btw i got a neo cdz, it does work on a cdz right? normally you cant play copied games on cdz unless its the patched version. do you require a patch so it works on the cdz? could you show which games can make cd conversions from my list.

magicall drop III
MOTW (i know this ones good as impossible, i wont list other large games like this)
KOF 2K0&2
Bust-A-Move Again "EX" / Puzzle Bobble 2
Blazing star (could you, pulstar is possible so i really wonder why they didnt release this one)
Matrimelee / Shin Goketsuji Ichizoku (probably not ehh)
MSX, MS3?
Neo Bomberman
Panic Bomber
Prehistoric Isle 2
Kizuna Encounter (i know its gotta load 4 characters at ones but they consist of so little amount of animation)
Sengoku 3
Shock Troopers 1 & 2
Spinmaster
Strikers 1945 Plus (if you could make this ill be one happy motherfucker man)
super dodge ball
supersidekicks 4
waku waku 7 (why didnt they release this? it shouldve been easy on cd)

i know its quite a list but if you could do this for me id be very gratefull to you. thanx in advance for the trouble.

p.s. if theres games that i didnt list which can be made into conversions you can name them if you want.
Don't get too excited. I'm going to say none of those, unless someone is willing to do some very major reprogramming. At this point, only very small games that require only one load at boot are being converted to CD. Look down the master list for games under about 56 megs for possible candidates. I think Puzzle Bobble 2 has too much music.

Fakk2
08-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Yep, there's your problem. Mixed mode, dummy audio track. If you're using Nero, make sure the program files are in the top window, and the audio is in the bottom one.

I would like to know why Puzzle Bobble works on the Neo-Geo CD and CDZ and it has no audio tracks (if I recall corectly). If Puzzle Bobble works with no audio tracks then why cant you guys get the conversions to work without audio tracks?

Fakk2
08-11-2006, 05:01 PM

out of his 4 games that he did, all 4 worked on emulators but only one actually played on the CDZ and it was Andro Dunos and it has bad colors, just like on the emu. :(

JMKurtz
08-11-2006, 05:01 PM
My bad -- it's the copyright.txt file that holds the CDZ booting protection code. Make sure it's not in there. I mentioned the IPL in my PM, but since it's been years since I've looked at that stuff, I said the wrong filename :)

Jeff

Neo Alec
08-11-2006, 05:06 PM
I've heard that perhaps even if the CDR boots on the CDZ, it might not be a good idea to use CDR's on there anyway. Since I've got both, I suppose, it makes more sense to run small single-boot games on the regular CD anyway, than waste some of those precious finite CDZ hours.

JMKurtz
08-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Man, it's been a really long time since I've looked at these CDs. The name of the file that holds the CDZ boot check is CPY.TXT, not Copyright.txt :)

Jeff

My bad -- it's the copyright.txt file that holds the CDZ booting protection code. Make sure it's not in there. I mentioned the IPL in my PM, but since it's been years since I've looked at that stuff, I said the wrong filename :)

Jeff

JMKurtz
08-11-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm not sure I buy that argument. What does the laser care if it's a stamped CD or CD-R? If it can read it, it can read it, right? If it couldn't read CD-R's, then they just wouldn't work at all.

I think people freak out because when the protection check does fail, it gives a generic DISK I/O ERROR message, which would scare someone into not using CD-R's.

Jeff

I've heard that perhaps even if the CDR boots on the CDZ, it might not be a good idea to use CDR's on there anyway. Since I've got both, I suppose, it makes more sense to run small single-boot games on the regular CD anyway, than waste some of those precious finite CDZ hours.

JMKurtz
08-12-2006, 09:12 AM
As a couple guys have pointed out - to make the larger games work, you would have to do a lot of disassembly and reprogramming of the game. I'm not sure anyone here is up to that amount of work.

Maybe it would just be easier to hack more RAM into the CD system to allow larger loads....

but the games that where listed if you ad more loads like between rounds would it be possible?

SpamYouToDeath
08-12-2006, 02:48 PM
As a couple guys have pointed out - to make the larger games work, you would have to do a lot of disassembly and reprogramming of the game. I'm not sure anyone here is up to that amount of work.

Maybe it would just be easier to hack more RAM into the CD system to allow larger loads....
As someone else pointed out, you could probably watch an entire movie while it was loading.

Fakk2
08-14-2006, 05:32 AM

What finite hours? Ive owned a Neo CDZ since the day of its release, I used it every day for years and it still works like new to this day. I guess its how people treat thier stuff. Never have I had 1 system die on me.

Razoola
08-14-2006, 03:53 PM

I think anyone willing to spend the effort doing that would rather convert games the other way around :)

Raz

Razoola
08-14-2006, 04:06 PM
I just want to point out that in many cases you can't simply chop the ROMs up into smaller parts and then dissamble the code to load it in different sections. You really need to rearrange tiles in the single ROM (if needed), then chop it up then change code in ROM and tile offsets. Also you don't really want to chop it into sizes what simply fit, you more need to take tiles for one level BG in one file, 2nd Level in another. Same goes for characters, one file per character. It is a really big job and certinally harder than converting a game the opposite way around (from CD to ROM format).

Raz

Neo Alec
08-16-2006, 11:00 PM
I'm not sure I buy that argument. What does the laser care if it's a stamped CD or CD-R? If it can read it, it can read it, right? If it couldn't read CD-R's, then they just wouldn't work at all.

I think people freak out because when the protection check does fail, it gives a generic DISK I/O ERROR message, which would scare someone into not using CD-R's.

Jeff
I agree. At any rate, mine seems to overheat within an hour or so when I play it on carpet, so I tend to heed a lot of the warnings about the CDZ. Not sure if it will inevitably completely die on me one day though.

Sly DC
08-21-2006, 03:30 AM
I just want to point out that in many cases you can't simply chop the ROMs up into smaller parts and then dissamble the code to load it in different sections. You really need to rearrange tiles in the single ROM (if needed), then chop it up then change code in ROM and tile offsets. Also you don't really want to chop it into sizes what simply fit, you more need to take tiles for one level BG in one file, 2nd Level in another. Same goes for characters, one file per character. It is a really big job and certinally harder than converting a game the opposite way around (from CD to ROM format).

Raz

Completely agree with Razoola on this one. Small games like Gururin or Puzzle de Pon are way easy to port, but games like Eightman or Neo Mr.Do! can be done but you have to chop down the PCM.

If we wanted to have all the PCM, we need to chop the PCM to smaller size and change codes in the Z80 driver, and since i don't have any knowlegde of Z80 & 68K programming, i can't do it.

Were it get bitching are bigger games, like Nightmare in the Dark or Neo Bomberman. I tried ported both these games and because of limits, both have lost sounds and graphics issues. NITD works but have almost no sounds (and when the Z80 driver doesn't finf the sound or music, you get a very loud beeps in a real NGDC) and as for Neo Bomberman, it's unplayable since there's missing to much graphics. So bigger games means bigger headache to recode the PRG, Z80, PCM and SPR.

BTW Razoola, will you ever release a version of the Unibios for the Neo-GeoCD system ? I'm dying to get one...AARRGGHH!! Ifyou need a beta tester, i'm offering myself since i do have an eprom burner and eraser. Modifying hardware is easier than to modifying software (well...in my case...LOL!!)

--- Sly DC ---

Sly DC
08-21-2006, 03:40 AM
Hi Folks!

I have finishiung up my web site (the main part) about how to make your own MVS-to-CD ports but i have a problem. My server which my oldsite resides has gone bonkers. I can't upload anything so now i'm stuck with all the infos on my HD.

Do any kind soul here could give me about 10 megs of web space ? I have two
ISOs that waits to be burned to play on REAL Neo-Geo CD systems (JMKurtz gave me authorisation for his Columns and Poker Night games to be distributed in ISO format) and also to be tested on a CDZ (protection boot) if they work or not.

Thanks in advanced ! :)

--- Sly DC ---

Murray
08-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Sly: Check your PMs. I can host it for you.

Sly DC
08-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Sly: Check your PMs. I can host it for you.

Hi Murray! PMsent! :)

--- Sly DC ---

Sly DC
08-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Hi Folks!

I finally finished doing a small web site to how-to make your own porting of MVS-to-CD. And i have to thanks a zillion "Murray" for hosting the web site.

So for the ones who can't wait to play new games on a REAL Neo-Geo CD system, here's the URL:

http://mvstocd.vinylfetish.net/

It's not finished but all the infos to port games is there (with tools). Oh and also many thanks to JMKurtz for giving me permission to distribute his games "Columns" and "Poker Night" in ISO format (and also Poker Night in French too).

So hope you will enjoy the how-to and games!! :)

--- Sly DC ---

werejag
08-22-2006, 12:37 AM
bits of this guide are not explained

like in the prg.prg booting part why are these 14 bytes changed and are they the same for all prg.prg files for aLL games?

Razoola
08-24-2006, 02:33 PM
bits of this guide are not explained

like in the prg.prg booting part why are these 14 bytes changed and are they the same for all prg.prg files for aLL games?

Those bytes are changed because the offset tables in the normal neogeo bios and CD bios are different so the program ROM is patched to point to the new offsets. I don't quite understand why that progcnv program doesn't do this for you. Looking at that webpage though (the one with instructions on) its clear that either there is a bug in the progcnv program or its text output is incorrect

From the screenshot I can see it says 'swap bytes at 0x66 and 0x6a'. This is wrong, you need to swap longwords at 0x64 and 0x68 (0x00112233 0x44556677 becomes 0x44556677 0x00112233).

Raz

Sly DC
08-30-2006, 12:56 AM
I didn't programmed the PROGCNV.exe tool, the programmer nick is "iq_132" and
i'm pretty sure that he doesn't know that you need to byteswap 0x66 to 0x69 with 0x6A to 0x6D. KaNyErO told me about the byteswap (and now Razoola confirms it) but KaNyErO told me it was only for some specific games like Eightman but it works with the two swapped bytes (0x66 with 0x6A)....weird huh ?!

But now since Razoola confirms that we need to byteswap 0x66 to 0x69 with 0x6A to 0x6D, i will specify it on the web site and do all the new ports with this info (Thanks very much Razoola!! :) )

--- Sly DC ---

P.S. to Razoola: Will you ever make a release of the Unibios for the NGCD ?? I would be in heaven if ever you do!! :)

Neo Alec
09-01-2006, 11:41 AM
P.S. to Razoola: Will you ever make a release of the Unibios for the NGCD ?? I would be in heaven if ever you do!! :)
A better project would be a bios for the Hyper Neo 64 that makes the gun and racing games boot on the fighting board. Maybe there's just one byte of data that locks it out.

cdoty
12-06-2006, 12:36 AM
i'm pretty sure that he doesn't know that you need to byteswap 0x66 to 0x69 with 0x6A to 0x6D. KaNyErO told me about the byteswap (and now Razoola confirms it) but KaNyErO told me it was only for some specific games like Eightman but it works with the two swapped bytes (0x66 with 0x6A)....weird huh ?!

You need to:
Byteswap PRG rom, append banks together.

Swap the IRQs at 0x64 and 0x68 (DWORD values). This swaps the VBlank and HBlank IRQs.

And change locations:
0x40 - 00 C0 05 22 00 C0 05 28 00 C0 05 2E 00 C0 05 34
0x50 - 00 C0 05 3A 00 C0 04 F2 00 C0 04 EC 00 C0 04 E6
0x60 - 00 C0 E0 00

It's cool to see someone finally figured this out. And my versions do have incorrect colors, this was pointed out by Chirs Covell.

I guess in my excitement of getting it working, I didn't check the colors. The sprite banks probably need to be byte swapped.

Princess-Isabel
12-27-2006, 04:47 PM
good to see Neo Geo CD getting "new" games, good job guys.

NeoLord
12-27-2006, 04:57 PM
I was really excited when I read this thread, but when I clicked on the 'link' provided in his initial post, it comes up with this:

For Sale

Internet Domain Name

www.Game-Shoppe.com

For The Current Price

CLICK HERE

What's going on?

Electric Head
12-30-2006, 05:36 AM
I'm sorry I'm posting this here (where it doesn't belong) but I have no other choice!

I am new and I ca't open new threads, just answer in some forums, like this "News And Rumors" one.

Anyone knows why?

Thanks!

Whitesnake
10-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Are there any people still interested in resurrecting this project? With a fresh guide and new set of tools? :)

kuk
10-21-2012, 10:53 AM
http://www.neogeocdworld.info/html/jeux/jeux/conversions.html

wyndcrosser
10-21-2012, 02:04 PM
kuk thanks. still looking for shock troopers and nightmare in the dark. thanks

fernandeath
10-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Interesting...

Coligion
10-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Did anyone attempt to convert Flip Shot? That one is small enough that it should work (46 Megs). I always thought it was a pretty decent two-player game; it was not as good as Windjammers, but still fun.

Neo Alec
10-22-2012, 04:35 AM
Did anyone attempt to convert Flip Shot? That one is small enough that it should work (46 Megs). I always thought it was a pretty decent two-player game; it was not as good as Windjammers, but still fun.
Without checking, I think the graphics or sound roms were too big.

Coligion
10-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Without checking, I think the graphics or sound roms were too big.

Ah, too bad. Thanks for the info., though.

kuk
10-24-2012, 03:33 AM
the probleme is the limitation of 4 Mo for the Graphism, you could have more but you should delete and load the new graphism (and have a loading time)

Whitesnake
10-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the link kuk.

I was hoping maybe people in the know would have the tools to appropriately scale down certain game assets for the NGCD.

Rather than just chopping the files.

Like King Of The Monsters, extracting the audio data and maybe checking for unused data or using techniques to shorten the audio data. So it would fit in the 1mb rather than what we have now. ;)

mikew
11-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Like King Of The Monsters, extracting the audio data and maybe checking for unused data or using techniques to shorten the audio data. So it would fit in the 1mb rather than what we have now. ;)

The NGCD has 2MB available for PCM data, not 1MB :)

Pedrobear
11-02-2012, 07:39 PM

https://images.encyclopediadramatica.se/6/66/Watbird.jpg

kuk
11-03-2012, 08:43 AM
well for me it's 1 Mo or 7 Mbits
7 Mb no more, no less. 7 shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be 7. 8 shalt thou not count, neither count thou 6, excepting that thou then proceed to 7. 9 is right out. Once the number 7, being the 7 number, be reached, then lobbest thou
Amen

mikew
11-03-2012, 11:10 AM

**CORRECTION**

I want to apologize for misleading you guys here. You were correct, the NGCD does indeed only have 1MB of PCM ram. For awhile I was thinking there was 2MB but after running many tests to confirm, only 1MB of PCM ram is useable. It's setup as 2 banks of 512KB however if you are doing CD conversions it probably doesn't make any difference as you would be loading all of the data from one entry starting at 0x0 in the IPL.TXT.

Burning Fight!!
07-09-2020, 01:18 PM
Bump!

I was testing Eight Man and it's sad that it has some missing sfx that glitch out into an annoying beep. I was wondering if I could hack the Z80 program to ignore playback of out-of-memory samples... but for that I'd have to know an emulator that lets me set breakpoints on the REG_SOUND port in the z80 side, and let me step through code. Anyone has any recommendations? I could work in the weekend on this project.

EDIT: Seems like Mame has an OK debugger and Neo-Geo CD(Z) support, but I need to brush up on the z80 neo docs first.

EDIT 2: I have disassembled a bit of the Z80 code but it seems like it's not gonna be easy to do my original plan in a straightforward way. Seems like 68000 commands get translated in some odd way with a table on $4C4C, which does not correspond to actual track code numbers (like the Unibios jukebox codes). I changed ONE entry to 00 and that was enough to wreck havoc in the music side of the game to hilarious results.

I'll see if I can go deeper into the driver (Makoto 2.0A) and figure out how it works but it seems to me it might be too much effort for little payoff. Dunno if I should give up yet.

ysselcneogeo
08-07-2020, 12:03 AM
I'd love to see ganryu converted but have no clue about its possibility.

amobile
12-02-2020, 05:05 AM
Bump!

I was testing Eight Man and it's sad that it has some missing sfx that glitch out into an annoying beep. I was wondering if I could hack the Z80 program to ignore playback of out-of-memory samples... but for that I'd have to know an emulator that lets me set breakpoints on the REG_SOUND port in the z80 side, and let me step through code. Anyone has any recommendations? I could work in the weekend on this project.

EDIT: Seems like Mame has an OK debugger and Neo-Geo CD(Z) support, but I need to brush up on the z80 neo docs first.

EDIT 2: I have disassembled a bit of the Z80 code but it seems like it's not gonna be easy to do my original plan in a straightforward way. Seems like 68000 commands get translated in some odd way with a table on $4C4C, which does not correspond to actual track code numbers (like the Unibios jukebox codes). I changed ONE entry to 00 and that was enough to wreck havoc in the music side of the game to hilarious results.

I'll see if I can go deeper into the driver (Makoto 2.0A) and figure out how it works but it seems to me it might be too much effort for little payoff. Dunno if I should give up yet.

HI Burning Fight ( ;) i love your nickname !)

I didn't understand everything you said, i'm not a programmer, but could you explain to me with simple words ;) why almost all the conversion games got this horrible sound bug ?
I'm making a small video of presentation of the conversions we can find on neogeo CD, and i would like to avoid nonsenses on it ;)
On my neoCD with NeoCD SDLoader, only Ando Dunos, Puzzle de Pon + Puzzle de Pon R and Pop 'N Bounce didn't have the sound issue (Pop 'N Bounce got others bugs but it's not the subject here ;) )...
I precise that i pickup the iso on the Kuk's website http://neogeocdworld.info/html/jeux/jeux/conversions.html
Maybe it exists earlier version of these converts somewhere else on the web ?

Thanks for your lights :)

Neo Alec
12-14-2020, 08:55 AM
HI Burning Fight ( ;) i love your nickname !)

I didn't understand everything you said, i'm not a programmer, but could you explain to me with simple words ;) why almost all the conversion games got this horrible sound bug ?
I'm making a small video of presentation of the conversions we can find on neogeo CD, and i would like to avoid nonsenses on it ;)
On my neoCD with NeoCD SDLoader, only Ando Dunos, Puzzle de Pon + Puzzle de Pon R and Pop 'N Bounce didn't have the sound issue (Pop 'N Bounce got others bugs but it's not the subject here ;) )...
I precise that i pickup the iso on the Kuk's website http://neogeocdworld.info/html/jeux/jeux/conversions.html
Maybe it exists earlier version of these converts somewhere else on the web ?

Thanks for your lights :)
It's because the Neo Geo CD system only has 1 megabyte of ram for V rom data (sound samples). For most games to fit, you have to trim the game's V rom data to be smaller than 1 megabyte.

Then when the game needs to access any of that sample data that got trimmed off, your speakers get filled with that glitchy mess instead of the intended sound.

The way to fix this would be to program load screens in the middle of the game, but that's too much effort. That's why most conversions are only for the smaller games, that fit within the Neo Geo CD's ram limitations.