Did MOTW have an AST?

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Well, did it?

And if it did who's got the MP3z? :tickled:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yes, it had an AST, and no, you can't get the mp3s from me because the AST is on the MotW DC port GD-ROM :D

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
FatGuy said:
me I guess
not sure if its an ast but I have mp3s

To the secret level Music forum!!

*cue 60's batman music*

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
Takumaji said:
Yes, it had an AST, and no, you can't get the mp3s from me because the AST is on the MotW DC port GD-ROM :D

they're just .adx encoded probably archived in .afs file like the other snk dc ports.

not hard to rip them and convert to .mp3 at all. i'd do it if i still had a copy of the disc laying around...

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Takumaji said:

Bummer, is that the only place for the AST?

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Takumaji said:

Well, that means you can actually extract the ADX audio and convert it to wav.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
Well, that means you can actually extract the ADX audio and convert it to wav.

never could figure out how to do that, it was a long time ago though. Have the tools gotten any easier to use? [off to do some digging]

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
if you can figure out how to open a command/dos prompt you're well on your way, it's very easy.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
kafuin_gaira said:
if you can figure out how to open a command/dos prompt you're well on your way, it's very easy.

What's dos?

attrib +h +s +r vanillathunder

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
dir /w /n /p *.gif

much love for DOS! I put together a 486 not too long ago with only DOS and an assload of DOS games on it. It died not that long ago....but I had all the Dangerous Daves, Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Catacomb Abyss, Darkseed, Blake Stone....GOOD STUFF!

Tacitus

Staff member
pixeljunkie said:
much love for DOS! I put together a 486 not too long ago with only DOS and an assload of DOS games on it. It died not that long ago....but I had all the Dangerous Daves, Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Catacomb Abyss, Darkseed, Blake Stone....GOOD STUFF!

Heh... you don't want to know how far back I go.

I'm still searching out a shareware game Igot on a 5 1/2 from the local PC game rental place about 20 years ago.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
Heh... you don't want to know how far back I go.

I'm still searching out a shareware game Igot on a 5 1/2 from the local PC game rental place about 20 years ago.

Awesome. What was it called?

I had registered versions of Executioners and Timeslaughter and Halloween Harry! Shareware was good times...

Home of the Underdogs has a ton of old stuff

Tacitus

Staff member
pixeljunkie said:
Awesome. What was it called?

I had registered versions of Executioners and Timeslaughter and Halloween Harry! Shareware was good times...

Home of the Underdogs has a ton of old stuff

I have no idea, that's why I'm still looking for it.

It was a dungeon game, laid out on an 16x16 grid or something to that effect... basically Zork/Hack with a map...

It was a text interface, but the map updated.

I was fucking addicted to it when I was young and the 5 1/2 I had it on died about 15 years ago.

Anyways, I've been looking for it for years.. It was called Dungeon (?something?).

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
MOTW for the Dreamcast did have different music, but it was mostly horrible synth garbage. Stick with the OST.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
I have no idea, that's why I'm still looking for it.

It was a dungeon game, laid out on an 16x16 grid or something to that effect... basically Zork/Hack with a map...

It was a text interface, but the map updated.

I was fucking addicted to it when I was young and the 5 1/2 I had it on died about 15 years ago.

Anyways, I've been looking for it for years.. It was called Dungeon (?something?).

one more thread derailing and I'm done :D

have you tried poking around here?

Tacitus

Staff member
pixeljunkie said:
one more thread derailing and I'm done :D

have you tried poking around here?

Yup, years ago.

It's lost to the ages... :crying:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
bokmeow said:
Bummer, is that the only place for the AST?

Most probably not, I'm 99.9% sure the AST came out as a separate release as well. If you want to know for sure, ask NeoBomberman, he knows a lot about Neo game music.

@kafuin_gaira and Mushiki, I know that it's possible to rip the audio files out of a DC game, but only if you transfer the contents of the GD ROM to your PC, preferrably with a broadband adaptor since a serial transfer (via "coder cable") takes almost a whole day, then you can use all sorts of tools to extract audio, movies, screens, etc. I only have one of those coder cables, so I guess I'll spare my DC a stressfull 16 hours run this time... :)

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
true, that what the burnz are for. all the hard work already done for you. i spent two years at the peak of DC fandom remixing fighters with my own shitty music and boot logos.

sad to say i only ever purchased one DC game :crying: and burned the other 300+.

then i found the neo and decided not to be a pirate anymore :shrug:

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Takumaji said:
Most probably not, I'm 99.9% sure the AST came out as a separate release as well. If you want to know for sure, ask NeoBomberman, he knows a lot about Neo game music.
Nope, MOTW had an OST CD release, but never an AST CD release. I was bummed by that, too.

--Chris

Heh if you are really stuck, just make your own AST by recording it into the PC. I've done that with several NEO games, I think they sound pretty good.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Dash no Chris said:
Nope, MOTW had an OST CD release, but never an AST CD release. I was bummed by that, too.

--Chris

Oops, my bad.

Well, that comes rather unexpected I must say... the MotW AST isn't really ground-breaking or something, but I thought a proper soundtrack disc release was obligatory for stuff like that.

@Electroman, thanks for the tip, I already thought about that. I also did that with several Neo and Mega Drive soundtracks and the result were quite okay, but that heavily depends on the type of soundcard you use. In my old PC, I had a SB AWE32 with a very good a/d chip, so the quality loss was bearable, but my current PC only has a builtin low cost SB-compatible chipset with a very thin sound (both input and output)...

Anyway, I'll give it a try.