So what's the deal with R-Type Final?

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
....because this title seems to be literally BREEDING in the Video Game section of my local Toys 'R Us. It was listed as a value video game at $14.95, then a special deal of buy 2 for $20 was posted. Why's this game get no love? Is it IREM licensed and Fresh Games/Eidos developed, or IREM developed> If it's the former I can see why the lack of interest in the game.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
That game rocks if you're any type of Irem fan you should own it.

This game doesn't get as much love as R-Type Delta but its almost as good and packed with extras. (at least the jp. version is)

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Great game, one of the best hori shmups of recent years. Maybe US mainstreamers are getting sick of it since it lacks a win button?

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Spectacular fucking game, beautiful and fun to boot..

...and I *hate* shooters.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I just can't see myself as satisfied without that game in my library.

It ranks up there with Wizardry 8 (for me). A game that is kind of a "thanks for the memories" kind of game, for many years of good entertainment.

Too bad they didn't do that for something like Magical Drop. Magical Drop Celebration or something.

But I digress. Many gameplayers (the younger ones) never saw the heydays of shooters, so a big nostalgia package (though with a brand new facelist) gets no love. Going retro is not exactly attractive, in their eyes. For them, Retro is something like Metal Gear Solid.

Last edited:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Definitely a terrific game - I actually like it better than Gradius V. To me, R-Type Final just seems a lot more satisfying - the environments are lush and organic, and this is what seals the deal for me. It's a terrific game, so don't hesitate to pick it up.

As for why it's getting no love ... well, that 'cause mainstreamers = t3h suk. :mad:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I have R-type Final JPN version and I still bought US one as well :)

I'm a hardcore R-type fan

Can't get enough with R-type.

I own PCEngine & PS version of original R-type :mr_t:

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
R-Type Final is a fantastic game, and I don't understand either why there are so many budget copies in those TRU kiosks. This is one of the most lush, organic, fluid shooters I have ever played, extremely challenging but with a huge amount of variety in the ships and levels.

My advice would be to scarf up a bunch of extra RTFs and sit on them, guaranteed that down the road they will be in demand . . . great shooters always are! :glee:

EDIT: And one more thing to keep in mind, new copies of RTF are gone everywhere but TRU from what I have seen. None at EB, Gamestop, BB, CC, etc. Seems like TRU got the whole final batch of them, and all the other stores pretty much sold out. Gradius V is drying up too, still can be found here and there @ $30 (didn't ever see it discounted), but its mostly gone.

Last edited:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
A decent game. Delta was much better and Gradius 5 puts Final to shame. If you see it for less then $10, pick it up, but you'd be better off putting that $10 towards Gradius 5.

BIG

sony fanboy
What a damn shame.....

R-Type Final is a great game,too bad the mainstreamers doesn't seem to think so.

Out of curiousity,but can anyone of you lucky peeps pick one up for me? :D

BIG-

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I didn't care for it in teh 30 minuts i played it... Moved two slow or something.

I had just played alot of Border down on my monitor so....

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master
Bigp0ppaLarge said:
What a damn shame.....

R-Type Final is a great game,too bad the mainstreamers doesn't seem to think so.

Out of curiousity,but can anyone of you lucky peeps pick one up for me? :D

BIG-

Santa Monica TRU, man. Therein lies R-Typical salvation...

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
chimpmeister said:
And one more thing to keep in mind, new copies of RTF are gone everywhere but TRU from what I have seen. None at EB, Gamestop, BB, CC, etc. Seems like TRU got the whole final batch of them, and all the other stores pretty much sold out. Gradius V is drying up too, still can be found here and there @ $30 (didn't ever see it discounted), but its mostly gone.

I have seen so many copies in Fry's.............
Don't worry about it. I've also seen several copies in Gamestop near my office.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Jedah Doma said:
A decent game. Delta was much better and Gradius 5 puts Final to shame. If you see it for less then $10, pick it up, but you'd be better off putting that $10 towards Gradius 5.

grrrrrr . . . don't listen to this man, he supported Bush ;)

I have an on again, off again, addiction with R-Type Final. I just got away from it after playing everyday for 4 weeks. I like it better than Gradius V and Delta, not to take anything away from those games, but R-Type Final has some charm in it that I rarely see in most modern games.

I think it's one of the few shooters that provides a great sense of atmosphere. The last shooter I played that had a well established atmospheric sense was Life Force

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
roke stAr said:
The last shooter I played that had a well established atmospheric sense was Life Force

Oh man, what a classic - my second favorite shooter next right after Raiden II. Rarely, if ever, has a single shooter done side-scrolling and top-down so well. Anyway, great game - very difficult, but also very satisfying.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Well a game that sounds this good and is now this cheap, it can't hurt me to pick it up. Something to do over the lonely Valentine's day weekend.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
R-Type Final is an amazing game, I love every pixel of it.

Thing is, many shmup fans are into more manic stuff at the moment, like ProGear and other bullet-crazy Cave games with non-stop action and insane scoring options. Games like that follow a radically different system than R-Type Final with its good ol' pattern-/memorization approach.... a different "school of shmups", if you will.

What's more, R-Type Final has limited credits at first, so you simply have to play and learn it for a while until you are either able to a) beat the game on 1 token or by using the exisiting credits, or b) play it long enough to get more bonus-credits and other hidden extras that may keep you playing to get them all. Either way, if you really want to get somewhere, you have to memorize patterns and learn how to beat/dodge/manoeuver through bosses, narrow flight pathes packed with enemy installations or tricky bullet sprays. Other than that, it's virtually impossible to beat the game because it follows the classic R-Type formula: You won't go nowhere with sheer firepower alone.

That's not to say you could clear those manic games by simply collecting lots of powerups and then cheaply blast through huge clouds of enemy ships, but compared to RTF, they feel more accessible, specially to those with short attention spans... ;)

Irem tried to adress this "problem" by adding unlockables to Final, bonus ships, gallery pics and so forth, and there are some nice bonusses involved if you beat the game. You'll get most of that stuff even if you don't clear it on one credit/one life, btw.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
R-Type Final is an amazing game, I love every pixel of it.

Thing is, many shmup fans are into more manic stuff at the moment, like ProGear and other bullet-crazy Cave games with non-stop action and insane scoring options. Games like that follow a radically different system than R-Type Final with its good ol' pattern-/memorization approach.... a different "school of shmups", if you will.

What's more, R-Type Final has limited credits at first, so you simply have to play and learn it for a while until you are either able to a) beat the game on 1 token or by using the exisiting credits, or b) play it long enough to get more bonus-credits and other hidden extras that may keep you playing to get them all. Either way, if you really want to get somewhere, you have to memorize patterns and learn how to beat/dodge/manoeuver through bosses, narrow flight pathes packed with enemy installations or tricky bullet sprays. Other than that, it's virtually impossible to beat the game because it follows the classic R-Type formula: You won't go nowhere with sheer firepower alone.

That's not to say you could clear those manic games by simply collecting lots of powerups and then cheaply blast through huge clouds of enemy ships, but compared to RTF, they feel more accessible, specially to those with short attention spans... ;)

Irem tried to adress this "problem" by adding unlockables to Final, bonus ships, gallery pics and so forth, and there are some nice bonusses involved if you beat the game. You'll get most of that stuff even if you don't clear it on one credit/one life, btw.

I'm still at 50 ships

crazy the amount of time I spent with this game, but I don't always play to get new ships, only if I get bored of the current one I'm hooked on

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
bokmeow said:
....because this title seems to be literally BREEDING in the Video Game section of my local Toys 'R Us. It was listed as a value video game at $14.95, then a special deal of buy 2 for $20 was posted. Why's this game get no love? Is it IREM licensed and Fresh Games/Eidos developed, or IREM developed> If it's the former I can see why the lack of interest in the game.
Sounds like i should rush down to.... Toys'R Us then.
For R-type Final if it's that cheap then. Ahh another 'sleeper hit for me to save $ on :glee:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
bokmeow said:

Not a good note for the series to go out on.

Poor first level. Nausiating use of camera angles, slow gameplay and... music?

Poor middle level. That dumb level with the obscured vision.

Poor last level. Good background conceptually speaking, but poorly presented. Final boss battle was lame.

Unlockable ships = cool. However, the last 3 ships are worthless.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
I was seriously getting bored of shooters until this game came along. I really like it more than GV. I don't know what else to say, except this is one of the best shooters in recent memory.

Matt

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I too was puzzled by this. I figured all copies would be bought up, and once buzz about its badass-ed-ness caught on, people would be begging for it. But instead I see it in abundance in the bargain bin!? :crying: Part of me likes it better than Gradius V, but I love em' both. I pre-ordered my copy of Rtype Final, haven't played it in awhile but this thread makes me want to blow the dust off it.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
roke stAr said:
grrrrrr . . . don't listen to this man, he supported Bush ;)

I have an on again, off again, addiction with R-Type Final. I just got away from it after playing everyday for 4 weeks. I like it better than Gradius V and Delta, not to take anything away from those games, but R-Type Final has some charm in it that I rarely see in most modern games.

I think it's one of the few shooters that provides a great sense of atmosphere. The last shooter I played that had a well established atmospheric sense was Life Force

Well, it's not aba game, but I just on't see why it's getting all the praise. Now I love all the unlokable ships, but the gameplay itself is a bit slow and weak. Your gun shoots about 3 bullets in 1-2 second intervals, and sometimes you're on screen for a bit without any enemies. You had a better shot in even the old R-Type 3. It was a constant shot that kept on going. In this game it's just weaker then any previous installment.

BTW: Gradius 5's music just is the best of the best (and yes, I did vote for Bush. I'm a dirty Republican!!!!
icon24.gif
)

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I love level 1 end boss..........bad ass :eek_2:

Gradius V and R-Type Final are my favorite PS2 shooter :)