Metal Slug Advance & KOF 02/03 Reviewed In Latest EGM

...in the Reviews Wrap-Up section.

Quoted from page 134 of the March '05 issue:

Metal Slug Advance:
"Bobblehead warriors do hyper-detailed, hand-doodled battle on foot with itty-bitty weapons of mass destruction... again. But this chapter in the side-scrolling saga might be the greatest (we'll leave the hair-spliting to the curmudgeons). Mid-mission continues minimize frustration, and collectible trinkets make you want to reenlist even after the smoke settles."

King Of Fighters 2002/2003:
"If the addition of purple horseshoes couldn't convince you to put Lucky Charms back in your breakfast, King Of Fighters' regular rehashes won't make you a convert, either. '02, the lesser of this two-disc, budget-priced pair, rounds up retirees. '03 features fresh faces and three-way tag team tussles that let you swap brawlers mid-match. Next year: green clovers."

So it isn't much, but at least you don't have to hear the ramblings of two other reviewers trying to talk you out of those games.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
They reviewed MSA a few issues back, didn't they? I'll have to look in my archives.

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Yea, pretty half assed reviews but better than not being mentioned... PSM gave KoF 02/03 pack a pretty good review, gave it a 7, and a real review... :)

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
sooooooo not really on topic but......does the 02 port have geese in it or not?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Mr.Nemoperson said:
sooooooo not really on topic but......does the 02 port have geese in it or not?

yes it does.

+ Shingo, King, Geontiz.

I think there are some more.

I couldn't understand a sentence from their KOF review. are they saying it's a very bad game?

ericb

NEST Puppet
insaneben said:
" '02, the lesser of this two-disc, budget-priced pair, rounds up retirees."

Lesser? What the fuck? I don't even know what to say... Now, admitedly, I haven't had enough time with 03 to pass a fair judgement on the entire experience, but '02 was a godsend for any fan of the series... I know people agree with me, because I've seen many ranked lists go like this: "1. 1998, 2. 2002, 3. 2000....". It's really hard for me to understand who staffs these magazines. I used to turn to EGM because they provided fair and professional articles (something that was very rare on this side of the ocean...), and now, I'm thinking even they're done.

Well... at least they're not as bad as GamePro, I guess...

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
ericb said:
Lesser? What the fuck? I don't even know what to say... Now, admitedly, I haven't had enough time with 03 to pass a fair judgement on the entire experience, but '02 was a godsend for any fan of the series... I know people agree with me, because I've seen many ranked lists go like this: "1. 1998, 2. 2002, 3. 2000....". It's really hard for me to understand who staffs these magazines. I used to turn to EGM because they provided fair and professional articles (something that was very rare on this side of the ocean...), and now, I'm thinking even they're done.

Well... at least they're not as bad as GamePro, I guess...
They just flatout don't give a shit SNK. They do like some 2D fighting (GG and SF), but KOF other SNK games are just "okay" or "eyesores." I've been mainly staying to online pubs like IGN and Gamespot.

Jedite

Bunker Buster
GamePro and other game magazines are good solely looks of the games and what the name is. I get my reviews from many different sources not just one source. I go around the internet and find reviews for games.

hateful_liar

Armored Scrum Object
King Of Fighters 2002/2003:
"If the addition of purple horseshoes couldn't convince you to put Lucky Charms back in your breakfast, King Of Fighters' regular rehashes won't make you a convert, either. '02, the lesser of this two-disc, budget-priced pair, rounds up retirees. '03 features fresh faces and three-way tag team tussles that let you swap brawlers mid-match. Next year: green clovers."

Rehashes, huh?

You mean like Madden?

Fucking hypocritical hacks.

:very_ang: :very_ang: :very_ang:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
ericb said:
Lesser? What the fuck? I don't even know what to say... Now, admitedly, I haven't had enough time with 03 to pass a fair judgement on the entire experience, but '02 was a godsend for any fan of the series

for them, New + better graphix = better

with that said, I still think KOF2003 is better than KOF2002 in every single way (except for Duolon)

I don't know but in 2002 the characters' depth is far more boring compared to the other new KOFs (except for few characters).

K', Kyo, Joe, K9999, Mature, Robert, Clark .... etc. they were all "meh" in 2002. even the strong characters had "boring" gameplay.

whereas in KOF2003, each character offers unique gameplay style, and has his own advantages and disadvantages. the roster is much more balanced and interesting than you think. just get used to the new (stricter) combo timing and read some starts/FAQs/combos. you will be suprised by the amount of new gameplay depth this game offers.

here is a good site where you can find some good in-depth strats for each character:

fierceslash.com

Last edited:

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
EGM hasn't been respectable in YEARS.

speaking of which, what happend to SushiX?

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
k'_127 said:
yes it does.

+ Shingo, King, Geontiz.

I think there are some more.

I couldn't understand a sentence from their KOF review. are they saying it's a very bad game?

I think they're trying to tell people to pour milk over it.

Post 1000!!!!