Neo 4-slot z80 error, no boot.

Bluehaze

n00b
I recently received a 4-slot MVS board and the first thing I did, before even turning it on, was properly dust and swab the connectors and board to prevent any electrostatics discharges etc., etc. Anyways, when I got around to plugging in an MVS cart for the first time (properly cleaned as well) it came up with a z80 error on the screen and would not boot and go to any screen past that.

Boot. z80...wait...turn off. *sad eyes*

I first tested it with some other carts to no avail, and then tried to boot the motherboard with nothing in it. Still the same error. I redusted and clean the board and repeated all the steps above. Nothing

After browsing the Tech forum a bit a read about it being either sound chip problem related, ram 6116, or rom SM1.

Nevertheless, I am here to request any thoughts, advice, input, help, etc. so that I can solve this problem and begin to play my precious games on a soon-to-be, functioning, 4-slot board.

Thank-you.

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Questions..that'll help determine the problem..

What are you putting this motherboard in..How are you testing/trying it.?
Cab-Supergun..?
Can you get into Hardware Test?..by flipping dip switch 1 down or using the Test switch in the cab..

What happens with no carts in the board..?does it go right to Z80 Error..
Does it go to cross hatch screen at all..
Have you tried the carts by themselves in slot 2 to 4..

At anytime I've ever had a Z80 error..it was dirty carts...or motherboard.
That's just what happened to me..
Cleaning them super clean using my methods solved the problem..Plus cleaning the motherboard.
Also cleaning the edge connector..

.Maybe a bad connection between the top and bottom board.(?)
I'm not sure if a not seated right Bios chip would cause this.( ?)

Bluehaze

n00b
chris1 said:
Questions..that'll help determine the problem..

What are you putting this motherboard in..How are you testing/trying it.?
Cab-Supergun..?
Can you get into Hardware Test?..by flipping dip switch 1 down or using the Test switch in the cab..

What happens with no carts in the board..?does it go right to Z80 Error..
Does it go to cross hatch screen at all..
Have you tried the carts by themselves in slot 2 to 4..

At anytime I've ever had a Z80 error..it was dirty carts...or motherboard.
That's just what happened to me..
Cleaning them super clean using my methods solved the problem..Plus cleaning the motherboard.
Also cleaning the edge connector..

.Maybe a bad connection between the top and bottom board.(?)
I'm not sure if a not seated right Bios chip would cause this.( ?)

1. The motherboard is going in an original 4-slot Neo Geo cab. No mods, not boots, just original goodness. On a side note, I know all of the hardware works in the cab because I've been running a few CPS2 games recently (no kick buttons of course), however, there is also no sound on those as well.

2. Cab.

3. I cannot access the test mode via dip switch or test switch.

4. As mentioned, the same error presented itself with no carts in the board--straight to the error.

5. No, it does not go to cross hatch screen at all.

6. Yes, and in all of the other slots in multiple combinations, and with many different carts.

Last edited: