PDA

View Full Version : NBC loke test no.1 : report

Pages : [1] 2

beelzebubble
01-20-2005, 08:47 PM
quick post from a net cafe near work.

unannounced normal characters (were in a team) = svc athena, mars people.
unannounced boss/sub boss characters (were by themselves) = king lion, mizuchi (the boss from kof 97, the one chris turns into in a super iirc).

more tonight when i get home.

Stephane
01-20-2005, 08:51 PM
hey, thank beelzebubble :)

SouthtownKid
01-20-2005, 08:58 PM
unannounced boss/sub boss characters (were by themselves) = king lionhaha, cool!

I like the design of SVC Athena, but i hope she has a new movelist...

jaydubnb
01-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Pardon the ignorance, but who's King Lion?

SouthtownKid
01-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Pardon the ignorance, but who's King Lion?King of the impossible bosses from Savage Reign/Kizuna.

jaydubnb
01-20-2005, 09:06 PM
King of the impossible bosses from Savage Reign/Kizuna.

Thank you, my good man.

Celes
01-20-2005, 09:25 PM

unannounced boss/sub boss characters (were by themselves) = king lion, mizuchi (the boss from kof 97, the one chris turns into in a super iirc).

It sucks that the normal characters are the ones from SVC. Also, is Mizuchi supposed to be Mizuki from Samurai Spirits?

I'm happy that Orochi is in the game...if that's what you mean by the boss from kof97 ;)

The Chief
01-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Awesome, I can't wait to hear how this game plays. I hope bare NBC will be sold:drool_2:

Fygee
01-20-2005, 10:06 PM
I hope they touched up Athena's sprite from SvC as it was rather...smudgey.

King Lion = badass x a billion

DevilRedeemed
01-20-2005, 10:08 PM
mars people is stupid beyond belief. that brings things down a notch for me. hope to god it doesn't play like SvC either..

Spike Spiegel
01-20-2005, 10:17 PM
mars people is stupid beyond belief. that brings things down a notch for me. hope to god it doesn't play like SvC either..

Agree

Korigama
01-20-2005, 10:22 PM
hope to god it doesn't play like SvC either..

the hit sounds are from SvC
Guard Cancel steps are in
dash instead of run
E to tag
236E to do double Assault
three super bars
will post move list too

(not too sure about below)
Last boss is either Shin Lion King or Mizuchi(a copy and paste of Orochi)

Athena and Mars ppl are mid-bosses

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=923901&topic=18830265

DevilRedeemed
01-20-2005, 10:26 PM
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=923901&topic=18830265

well.. as long as its not completly broken and hit detection is (almost) perfect, I'll overlook this.

Celes
01-20-2005, 10:31 PM
so far the loke test is a little dissapointing, but it's only the first few hours :(

Fygee
01-20-2005, 10:31 PM
the hit sounds are from SvC

Bah, that sucks. I really hated the "whump" sound the heavy hits made. It was like tossing a watermelon into a pile of blankets.

Apparently Robert is also a charge character again. Guess I won't be using him this time around.

kafuin_gaira
01-20-2005, 10:44 PM
i had a horrible feeling svc would contribute to this game

DTJAAAAMJSLM
01-20-2005, 10:58 PM
I'm dying to hear about how Terry plays in this game...

Spike Spiegel
01-20-2005, 11:00 PM
I'm dying to hear about how Terry plays in this game...

Well, all I know is how he looks: Like shit. He's the crappy SvsC version, if I'm not mistaken. God, I was so excited about this game, but it's starting to sound like SvsC2. I hope I'm way off, as I've been excited for this game for a long time.

Korigama
01-20-2005, 11:06 PM
God, I was so excited about this game, but it's starting to sound like SvsC2. I hope I'm way off, as I've been excited for this game for a long time.

Well...

Opinions on gameplay?

SvC2

Spike Spiegel
01-20-2005, 11:10 PM
God this better not be like that. I guess SNK's glory days of super badass fighters like KOF98 and Shin Samurai Spirits are long long gone. Sigh....

DevilRedeemed
01-20-2005, 11:12 PM
Well...

SvC was criticised so badly why would they even want to tread the same path? its not like you can say they where onto something...

kafuin_gaira
01-20-2005, 11:16 PM
SvC was criticised so badly why would they even want to tread the same path? its not like you can say they where onto something...

it's not snk

MilkManX
01-21-2005, 12:37 AM
God this better not be like that. I guess SNK's glory days of super badass fighters like KOF98 and Shin Samurai Spirits are long long gone. Sigh....

SNK > Playmore.

I fear we will never get that same feeling you got from SS2/KOF98/LastBlade2/Garou again.

SouthtownKid
01-21-2005, 12:56 AM
You guys drive me crazy. SvC would have been good, except for...the things that were fucked up. If they fixed those things (tweaked GCS to work better and not render some characters useless, hit detection, etc.), it could be a great game.

IMO, KOF '99 played like a chunk of shit. The strikers, armor mode, etc...just awful. But they improved it like crazy in 2000 (again, imo) -- strikers more useful, new characters more balanced. And I feel 2001 was the best striker game of the three -- I actually enjoy that game. So a sequel to SvC's engine is not necessarily the disaster you guys assume, if you ask me (as long as they've made some progress).

As far as people complaining about Mars People, look at how differently some characters play after their first appearance (take Basara for example, between SS3 and SS4). It's too soon to be upset.

And Spike, Terry is not the SvC version, he's the KOF '03 version.

fatal fury fan #2
01-21-2005, 12:57 AM

well SVC or any other athena suck and mars people :oh_no: I wish they had gotten someone better from Metal Slug now as for the boss this is a really good pick I have yet to play Savage Reign/Kizuna so king lion was a great pick :buttrock: ohh and the dash from SvC sucks :oh_no:

Plisken
01-21-2005, 01:09 AM
The neo whiners are out in force today !!! / puts on safety hat

LWK
01-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Fuck no, mars people? The god of all zoning cheese next to 2002 athena? King Lion is gonna be BAD ASS!

Fygee
01-21-2005, 01:43 AM
I hate the logic that "Game A" sucked and therefore the sequel, "Game B", will automatically suck, as if the company is so astromically lazy to just cut and paste the game engine directly without any improvements. That's like saying Street Fighter 1 sucked, so Street Fighter 2 must suck just as much.

Personally, I'd like to think that since they added tagging and zooming views that they at least tweaked it so the hit detection was much better. They'd be crazy not to, considering all the flak they recieved for it after SvC was released.

Evil Wasabi
01-21-2005, 01:44 AM
I'm stoked for this even more now.

Mars People, Old School Athena, and SVCC rocked. Fuck the haters.

Amano Jacu
01-21-2005, 03:28 AM
In my opinion, it is a good thing that the game doesn't play like KoF, that's what KoF is for, and we've already got plenty of KoF (and there's already a KoF in AW, and many people complained about it not being "original" enough). Many people complains about the SvC engine being flawed. Well, let's hope they improve it, as it's been said those problems are well known so they should have fixed them. Of course it's Playmore what we are talking about.

Sumez
01-21-2005, 03:29 AM
People are actually surprised that this was going to be SvC2? I thought it was obvious from the first screenshot.
But like other people pointed out, that doesn't necesarily mean it's a bad game.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but the character roster itself might make an entertaining game, although not the best fighting experience.
As everyone else pointed out: Mars People = Bleh, and King Lion = Bad ass. I only know him from his KoF2000 striker version.

barf
01-21-2005, 03:40 AM
If Athena sprite is retouched (she was really ugly outside her standing and specials, specialy when jumping ), certain collision boxes and priorities fixed, i don t mind having an svc-esque engine, i am not good enough at fighting games to criticize it.

Anyway the roster seems amazing, the backgrounds too.

(to be clarified by our beloved beelze)

nazi muerto abono pa mi huerto
01-21-2005, 04:19 AM
In my opinion, it is a good thing that the game doesn't play like KoF, that's what KoF is for, and we've already got plenty of KoF (and there's already a KoF in AW, and many people complained about it not being "original" enough). Many people complains about the SvC engine being flawed. Well, let's hope they improve it, as it's been said those problems are well known so they should have fixed them. Of course it's Playmore what we are talking about.

kof 2003 is the svcc engine improved

all of us prefer kof engine over anything else , and all of us knows how playmore can fuck a game....

with the same sound effects , no dash and no hops....sorry but if the initial impresions are bad ( and maybe that loke tests wont change the game) what will happen when it will started playing deeply?

with all these new characters and all this shit , this game could easilye be more broken than svcc....

but , how to epxlain it to playmore? meh...

barf
01-21-2005, 04:42 AM
kof 2003 is the svcc engine improved

all of us prefer kof engine over anything else , and all of us knows how playmore can fuck a game....

with the same sound effects , no dash and no hops....sorry but if the initial impresions are bad ( and maybe that loke tests wont change the game) what will happen when it will started playing deeply?

with all these new characters and all this shit , this game could easilye be more broken than svcc....

but , how to epxlain it to playmore? meh...

This is going to be arcade-only release (afaik), so i guess that if the game plays horribly wrong and receives only bad feedback during its loke tests then it will be dropped (and hoarded as proto in 10 years by some obscure guy)

k'_127
01-21-2005, 06:23 AM
I'm ready to overlook everything if it has hops. does it?

FrostbayneAucti
01-21-2005, 06:52 AM
This is going to be arcade-only release (afaik), so i guess that if the game plays horribly wrong and receives only bad feedback during its loke tests then it will be dropped (and hoarded as proto in 10 years by some obscure guy)

Nah, they will release it, regardless. Neo fans have been desperately waiting for a new neo game on arcade hardware.

Force Five = Future atomiswave proto.

beelzebubble
01-21-2005, 07:20 AM
here are the notes i took after spending an hour this morning at the loke test. first off the test was pretty packed from the get go, the game center opened at 10:00 and i rocked up at 10:30 by which time there were already 30 ppl or so, the layout of the game center is hardly conducive to number like that though so it was pretty crowded.

things i didnt like that i dont think i ever will :

+the graphics, ugh they look terrible imo, i know im gonna get used to them like i did neowaves but the sprites look terribly pixelated whether it be becoz the bgs are high rez or the game itself is running in a higher rez and the sprites have been resized to fit... anyways i think kof2k3 looks considerably better and i really was majorly disappointed with the look of the game.

things i didnt like but expect to get used to or change my mind about :

+the hit boxes, they seem blocky to fit the blocky sprites which seem to have more size than the actual edge of the sprite, unlike 2k2 or cfj which seems to have hitboxes which are about the same size as the actual character sprite.

+throws are two button, C+D.

things i liked :

+almost everyone that i saw except the kof staples like kim, iori etc were a: a new sprite, b: a touched up/changed sprite or c: a redrawn sprite.

a is all the new characters of course, b is mai (new face), c is ryo (new stance and lots of normals redrawn), tung (new normals and a totally redrawn sprite), chonshu and chonrei (as tung), robert (totally redrawn with some new actions and some taken from his younger self). terry is his 2k3 version, mars ppl looks like his svc self as does shiki and athena.

+dashes are nice speed and range (similar to svc ones), the effects seem nice (on supers and specials), bgs are nice and pretty well animated,

other observations :

+the ingame artwork seems to be by some artist i dont recognize. its cool though a little weird, fuuma for example looks like some goth rocker or ozzy osbourne with mascara and his hands at his sides wrists bare in some goth rocker pose... sorta weird but cool.

+someone post a pic of falcoon for me, he might have been at the loke test...

+there seemed to be a yuuki and robert special intro.

+roberts high fb is a punch (he uses his fists) his low fb is a kick (uses his feet).

+bar management and tagging is incredibly important, this young guy who got like 25 wins while i was there and was on the machine for over an hour using kyo and yuuki would use his 1st character, tag them out when the health bar was nearly zero and then use the second character for a good 30 or 40 seconds by which time the first character would be almost back to full health, everyone who fought him failed to manage their bar or tag nearly as effectively as this guy and it got him lots of wins (he was pretty damned well as good). so using bar and tagging is gonna play a big part it would seem at this point.

+seemed to be 4 colors per character, iori had a weird standard vice color scheme to his clothing and blonde hair (wtf??)

+there seemed to be 2 or 3 unused spots on the character select screen.

+D assault is fb+E button (E is used to tag characters in), its like a ranbu and if it hits your current character does a few hits, launches then the second character jumps into the air hits a few times and slams them down back into just in front of the current character... most combinations of characters hit between 8-10 times it would seem, the move doesnt seem to be very useful beyond the damage it does (maybe it doesnt use much bar...?)

+tagging seems less brutal than 2k3, you seem to have more invulnerability so there wasnt much 2k3 style "punish them when they tag in" shit going on.

+160 real seconds for a vs match.

ok i read saiki's report where he says that the game has gcfs, i saw no evidence of it myself. yeah dashing is there as is the kof style auto counter on blocked hit with CD but not once in the full hour+ i watched did anyone gcfs, either it's in there and no one used it while i was watching (unlikely i think as the young guy with all the wins was using yuuki and the d assault like a pro so he seemed to have the basics down) or i didnt realize it was being used (which seems unlikely as ive played enough svc to know how it works). the only way ill be able to find out is to read the system instructions carefully something i couldnt do this morning.

overall im disappointed coz the graphics look ugh to me and the hit boxes AT THIS POINT seem to blocky and loose. on the other hand the new characters look really good (yuuki, ai, fuuma and marco especially) and the game seems like a solid product at this incredibly early point.

FrostbayneAucti
01-21-2005, 07:39 AM
+the graphics, ugh they look terrible imo, i know im gonna get used to them like i did neowaves but the sprites look terribly pixelated whether it be becoz the bgs are high rez or the game itself is running in a higher rez and the sprites have been resized to fit... anyways i think kof2k3 looks considerably better and i really was majorly disappointed with the look of the game..

They did the same thing with Knights Of Valor, and it drove me nuts. The sprites were 24 bit, but the backgrounds are 64. COME ON SAMMY/PLAYMORE/SNK, THIS $H!T is JARRING when you do that.

DevilRedeemed
01-21-2005, 07:47 AM
They did the same thing with Knights Of Valor, and it drove me nuts. The sprites were 24 bit, but the backgrounds are 64. COME ON SAMMY/PLAYMORE/SNK, THIS $H!T is JARRING when you do that.

oh dear.. Playmore should stick to pachinko. they're loosing the plot. type-x is going to wreck the atomiswave if things go on this way.

fatal fury fan #2
01-21-2005, 08:31 AM
from the report that beelzebubble gave us looks like I am getting this but I am going to wait I don't want to be like the people who got SvC at first with PCB ver. :kekeke:

Xacrow
01-21-2005, 08:35 AM
beelze did you get to see any of asra in action?

beelzebubble
01-21-2005, 09:19 AM
beelze did you get to see any of asra in action?

nup. ill be spending longer with it on sunday.

barf
01-21-2005, 09:26 AM
thanks beelze.... bad collision boxes = :'(

anyway, here is falcoon:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20041222/kof02.gif

(there if you need a bigger one: http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20041222/kof02.htm)

beelzebubble
01-21-2005, 09:39 AM
thanks beelze.... bad collision boxes = :'(

anyway, here is falcoon:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20041222/kof02.gif

(there if you need a bigger one: http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20041222/kof02.htm)

thanks peach :)

thats him he was at the test.

k'_127
01-21-2005, 09:53 AM
I read through your report twice, but I can't find out whether there are hops/small jumps or not. so are they there?

I apology in advance if it's already mentioned elsewhere.

JHendrix
01-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Props to Beelze for the info.

Of course I've learned my lesson after SvC. You need to play it for a while before you know if it's really crappy or not.

Graphics are meh, but I knew that anyway and I'm pretty much used to it by now.

Luckily when the PS2 import comes out it won't cost me more than $50 or so to see if the game is worth it.

Spike Spiegel
01-21-2005, 10:11 AM
thanks peach :)

thats him he was at the test.

What a dorky looking dude. For someone who draws such great, stylish characters, I just assumed he would have been cool himself. NOPE.

You didn't like the way 2k3 looked? That's the ONE thing I love about 2k3: the look. I hope that the graphics fit my taste, as I don't mind the pixel look (like CvsSNK, for instance). How did everyone animate? That's what I would like to know. Good to hear they changed Ryo's stance. That tiger stance is so stupid!

Spike

beelzebubble
01-21-2005, 10:11 AM
I read through your report twice, but I can't find out whether there are hops/small jumps or not. so are they there?

I apology in advance if it's already mentioned elsewhere.

ill make sure to check on sunday... either that or look out for info from japanese sites from iggy on madmans.

from vague memory there was only super and normal jumps though...

beelzebubble
01-21-2005, 10:14 AM
What a dorky looking dude. For someone who draws such great, stylish characters, I just assumed he would have been cool himself. NOPE.

You didn't like the way 2k3 looked? That's the ONE thing I love about 2k3: the look. I hope that the graphics fit my taste, as I don't mind the pixel look (like CvsSNK, for instance). How did everyone animate? That's what I would like to know. Good to hear they changed Ryo's stance. That tiger stance is so stupid!

Spike

nah i really liked the look of 2k3, i was saying that i think 2k3 looks better than this and neowave.

Freelancer
01-21-2005, 10:14 AM
and SVCC rocked. Fuck the haters.

Agreed.

Spike Spiegel
01-21-2005, 10:17 AM
I love the Neo as much, if not more than, the next guy. But to say SvsC rocked is just plain wrong. Shitty SHITTY hit detection and some really crappy sprites (Guile grows and loses side burns as he walks for christ's sake) just made that game too much for me to handle. Great idea, and while I enjoy it a bit, it did NOT "rock". Sorry.

01-21-2005, 10:31 AM
pit-fighter owns SVCC

krakov
01-21-2005, 10:33 AM
For VS-games, SVC may well be a piece of shit.
But for singleplayer-games, it rocked imho.

It has it flaws, but it´s still one of my most played neo-games.

Setsuna1982
01-21-2005, 10:49 AM
why people is surprised with the bad looking sprites? I remember some screenshots/video where the sprites edges looked blurred because they were resized bigger that they original size

bokmeow
01-21-2005, 11:17 AM

Not I. I've come to know over the years that there is no direct correlation between looks and artistic talent expression. Just look at David Bowie, he is arguably the best musical artist of our time, and he looks like someone ran over his face with a Sherman tank.

Spike Spiegel
01-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Not I. I've come to know over the years that there is no direct correlation between looks and artistic talent expression. Just look at David Bowie, he is arguably the best musical artist of our time, and he looks like someone ran over his face with a Sherman tank.

Yeah, true. But I was just living in this romantic land where I assumed he had so much style. I mean, would it kill him to wear something with a bit of fashion. He seems to know a lot about it, but...

No matter. The guy still has incredible skill be the miles.

Freelancer
01-21-2005, 11:25 AM
I know this is a low priority, but how are the sound effects (ie: hits, voices, etc)? Similar to what was used in SVC or more along the lines of the KOF games?

DevilRedeemed
01-21-2005, 11:29 AM

what? David Bowie looks and has always looked great. I don't know how you came to that conclusion.

anyways, looks may not be eveything but remember the mantra of old -

new hardware better grafix new hardware better grafix new hardware better grafix new hardware better grafix new hardware better grafix new hardware better grafix hardware better grafix new hardware better grafix new hardware better grafix new hardware better grafix hardware better grafix new hardware better grafix new hardware better grafix new hardware better grafix cheese hardware better grafix new hardware better grafix

its dissapointing to realise that neither Capcom nor SNK can get their act together.
fighting games must be the only visually retrogressive genre of gaming out there.

Dio_Brando
01-21-2005, 11:38 AM
what? David Bowie looks and has always looked great. I don't know how you came to that conclusion.

http://img78.exs.cx/img78/1756/davidbowiealaddinsane21233mh.jpg

DevilRedeemed
01-21-2005, 11:45 AM
http://img78.exs.cx/img78/1756/davidbowiealaddinsane21233mh.jpg

erm.. for its time that was fucking killer. save it Dio.

Average Joe
01-21-2005, 12:12 PM
The moment I heard someone compare NGBC to SvC my dick went limp.

SML
01-21-2005, 12:37 PM
The moment I heard someone compare NGBC to SvC my dick went limp.

Setsuna1982
01-21-2005, 12:49 PM
I know this is a low priority, but how are the sound effects (ie: hits, voices, etc)? Similar to what was used in SVC or more along the lines of the KOF games?

read belze's posts

jeff bogard
01-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanx Beezle, I really apprecite your contribution to the community. It's members like beezle that truly make a difference between this community and others throughout the internet. Just check other boards and look for his quotes, again. Another character from NG.com

thanx

SouthtownKid
01-21-2005, 03:33 PM
.You can play...But do you also know how to shoot? (your sig)

Curt
01-21-2005, 05:58 PM
This might be the game to make me buy an AtomisWave.

fatal fury fan #2
01-21-2005, 06:26 PM
me too but I am going to wait till I hear some good reviews

beelzebubble
01-21-2005, 07:37 PM
heres a lot of good system info from IGGY over at madmans, link (http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/10266.shtml)

seems that a form of front step is in and that nobody was using it when i was watching.

and about graphics, ive been disappointed with every new fighting games graphics recently, seems the move to new hardware has made everything look shit (+laziness of course see cfj). chaos breaker which i really really like has pretty shitty gfx too :(

kafuin_gaira
01-22-2005, 05:47 AM
:crying:
so who wants my atomiswave?

Eric Straven
01-22-2005, 07:17 AM
Yeesh, I wish that they'd just ditch Haohmaru and use Ukyo or Yoshitora as substitutes. But heh, you can't ditch the poster boy now, can you?
No matter, I might buy an atomiswave if it proves to be good.

Baseley09
01-22-2005, 08:09 AM
SVC was the complete rox game, if this is better it must be the more complete rox.

NeoDragoN
01-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Asura's animation is too fluid

Too Fluid?

Mr.Nemoperson
01-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Too Fluid?

Im guessing he means compared to the rest of the characters.

01-22-2005, 12:40 PM
not bad...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/antifascismo/screen.bmp

DevilRedeemed
01-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Im guessing he means compared to the rest of the characters.

like kim 2k2. wow playmore can't fucking handle it can they :oh_no:

Loopz
01-22-2005, 12:47 PM
2D is dead. Get it straight people.

I don't know how any of you can enjoy an absolute piece of shit like SVCC and call yourselves real Neo fans. You must be completely deluded to think that such a game even remotely measures up to the standards of the real SNK. Go back, play some SS2 or KoF'98 for a few hours and then play that new bullshit. Not even close.

*yawns, gets on SFAC*

DevilRedeemed
01-22-2005, 12:50 PM

I agree 'cept for shooters, which are still bringing it.

Loopz
01-22-2005, 12:52 PM
I agree 'cept for shooters, which are still bringing it.

Yes, my above statement does not relate to Cave, Takumi, Taito, or any of the other companies still making bitchin' shooters.

SouthtownKid
01-22-2005, 01:10 PM
not bad...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/antifascismo/screen.bmpFor some reason, yours didn't show up on my screen until I pasted your link in the browser. Iggy also has it up at :

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/imageboard/file/NBC.jpg

Which also needs to be cut and pasted, since he doesn't allow direct linking. And yeah, I like the character select screen, too.

DevilRedeemed
01-22-2005, 01:15 PM
For some reason, yours didn't show up on my screen until I pasted your link in the browser. Iggy also has it up at :

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/imageboard/file/NBC.jpg

Which also needs to be cut and pasted, since he doesn't allow direct linking. And yeah, I like the character select screen, too.

that is indeed a fantastic character select screen. that's what gets me though - these games are inconsistent in so many ways - production values in some instances are great and in others are embarassing.

SouthtownKid
01-22-2005, 01:20 PM

I don't know how any of you can enjoy an absolute piece of shit like SVCC and call yourselves real Neo fans. You must be completely deluded to think that such a game even remotely measures up to the standards of the real SNK. Go back, play some SS2 or KoF'98 for a few hours and then play that new bullshit. Not even close.

*yawns, gets on SFAC*"Yawns" is right. I'm bored of hearing people talk about how the new games don't measure up, blah, blah, blah. Well, no shit, they got new staff since the good ol' days and it's a learning process, but I'd say KOF '03 > SvC, so they're on the right track.

I'd also say KOF '02 > '99 & '00 (except for backgrounds and music, woe is me), and SS5 > SS4, so put that in your pipe and smoke it. If you want to sit on your porch in a rocking chair drinking lemonade, telling your grandson about how you had to walk 5 miles to school, uphill both ways, in the snow, but things were all better in those days...go for it.

Setsuna1982
01-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Too Fluid?

it means "how other sprites should be"

Moon Jump
01-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Does anybody have any info on how Moriya and Kaede play in this game? I'm wondering how they will play considering many people are saying the game plays like SvC and I'm just wondering how The Last Blade characters will play like.

Poison Sama
01-22-2005, 03:02 PM
"Yawns" is right. I'm bored of hearing people talk about how the new games don't measure up, blah, blah, blah. Well, no shit, they got new staff since the good ol' days and it's a learning process, but I'd say KOF '03 > SvC, so they're on the right track.

I'd also say KOF '02 > '99 & '00 (except for backgrounds and music, woe is me), and SS5 > SS4, so put that in your pipe and smoke it. If you want to sit on your porch in a rocking chair drinking lemonade, telling your grandson about how you had to walk 5 miles to school, uphill both ways, in the snow, but things were all better in those days...go for it.

Wait until Fran adds his $0.02...

k'_127
01-22-2005, 03:13 PM
KOF2003 is one of the best fighters ever made. that's if you give it a chance. just ban Duolon.

SvC's gameplay was a joke. SNKP has to understaind that making a game that is based on KOF and then trying to come up with new gameplay WILL NEVER EVER WORK. removing hops is the most stupid idea Playmore could think of. KOF's control is already perfect.

if they really want to make a complety different gameplay, they should build a new game from scrathes (redrawing everything).

KagerouSama
01-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Wait until Fran adds his $0.02...

Double

Space

Mania!

:kekeke:

Abster
01-22-2005, 04:02 PM
SVC Chaos had a great and varied cast going for it, but the gameplay seemed loose and unstable. They have gotten only slightly better since that title, with the exception of SS5S which Yuki mostly worked with.

BTW, SS5S > SS4 > SS5

Loopz
01-22-2005, 04:08 PM
"Yawns" is right. I'm bored of hearing people talk about how the new games don't measure up, blah, blah, blah. Well, no shit, they got new staff since the good ol' days and it's a learning process, but I'd say KOF '03 > SvC, so they're on the right track.

I think you're generally a cool cat here, SK, but I think you're way off man.
It's got nothing to do with being hating on new things, I play plenty of new school games and enjoy them. KoF'02 is fun simply because it goes back to 3 on 3 roots.
Is it better than '98? Fuck no. It's still got collision problems, the music is composed of old tunes recomposed in a really shitty way, and I think the BGs are really dull. I didn't like '99 or '00 either.

SVCC has all these same problems, and then some. The Capcom characters dont play anything like they're supposed to, and that game has more bugs than Joe's Apartment. Not to mention horribly overpowered secret characters.

It's all about effort, man. I loved Guilty Gear XX, but even those guys at Sammy seem to have grown complacent. You don't have to 'learn' to come up with some brand new shit. I don't expect the best animation or BGs out of such old-ass hardware, but coming up with something NEW. New ideas don't need a learning process, it just takes some ingenuity and love. I don't see it in these new games.

BTW, I liked SSV also...turns out that was Yuki's baby though. Playwhore had nothing to do with that...except when they churned out the shitty SSVS.

Capcom is equally guilty, CFJ needs no discussion.

This genre's dead man, the classics and undiscovered gems (courtesy of MAME) are all that remain. There hasn't been a really worthy new 2D fighter since CvS2.
SFAC is really the last hurrah, barring a release of KoF'98 or Garou with XBL.

Loopz
01-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Why is it we have such low standards when it comes to fighting games?

I don't see the shooter companies recycling the same crap over and over again.
They regularly draw brand new stages, invent new ships, power-ups, etc.
Why is it these last few lazy-ass fighting game companies can't do the same?
I don't see DoDonPachi '03: Recycle Never Ends, with the same stages recolored and one new ship.

JHendrix
01-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Why is it we have such low standards when it comes to fighting games?

I don't see the shooter companies recycling the same crap over and over again.
They regularly draw brand new stages, invent new ships, power-ups, etc.
Why is it these last few lazy-ass fighting game companies can't do the same?
I don't see DoDonPachi '03: Recycle Never Ends, with the same stages recolored and one new ship.

Two reasons:

1.) Redrawing everything for a shooter is far more simple than it is for fighters. There are like a million frames that have to be redone when you factor in every character. BG's and a few frames for the ships in shooters are different. Besides aren't the ships in most of these new games all 3D anyway, just keeping the 2D gameplay?

2.) We accept it because we want new 2D fighters, so we take what we can get. They know this and we get stuff accordingly. You know what they say, beggers can't be choosers. Sad but true. :(

Loopz
01-22-2005, 04:50 PM
Two reasons:

1.) Redrawing everything for a shooter is far more simple than it is for fighters. There are like a million frames that have to be redone when you factor in every character. BG's and a few frames for the ships in shooters are different. Besides aren't the ships in most of these new games all 3D anyway, just keeping the 2D gameplay?

2.) We accept it because we want new 2D fighters, so we take what we can get. They know this and we get stuff accordingly. You know what they say, beggers can't be choosers. Sad but true. :(

I guess it depends on whether or you're sated.
With SFAC and all the classic SNK gems, I've personally got more than a lifetime's worth of shit to play endlessly and master. Between new poop and classic gold,
I'll take the good shit.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't play something new, it just means that something new needs to be better than that which came before. I don't see the love in these new titles, I just see dollar signs in the eyes of people running a has-been game company.

Fran
01-22-2005, 05:14 PM
hmm

shooters hide the lack of ideas a lot better than fighters,to be honest

there are exceptions though ( ikaruga )

i'm the only psikyo fanboy on the face of the planet,
but i'm first in line to admit all their games but dragon blaze are basically the same engine with different ships and backgrounds

and psikyo games are basically sonic wings 1 / 2 sequels

and don't get me started on cave...
people praise their games waaaay too much but they're milking 2 ideas to the max

esprade = guwange = espgaluda

donpachi = dodon = dodon doj

and metal black = darius gaiden = g darius = border down

they're not THE SAME but they share a lot / have a lot in common

just to make an example,eh?

it's only natural because all those sequels come from the same people and they always tend to keep the original idea while adding better gfx,deeper gameplay,etc

please notice that i don't mind that AT ALL...

you don't need NEW IDEAS to make a good shooter or a good fighter...

the problem here is that cave or treasure have loads of talented people working for them

capcom and playmore are not in the same situation

while ALL the 2d designers / executive producers left capcom
so yes,that means they will probably never make a good fighter ever again

there must be still a few talented people left at playmore

there isn't a single bad kof game,and i like 2001,02,03 and neowave a lot

they're not better or worse than 98,they're just new episodes of a series i love

duolon's sprite is fucking superb and insanely animated,
but in the same game you also get super below average stuff like malin or terry...

that's what really gets me down

the way i see it :
when snk was making 98 they had a staff of 60 or so people that knew the mvs hardware like the back of their hands
and snk could spend a lot more when producing a new game

now playmore has 10 or so people left from the golden days and maybe 10 "n00bs"
and they gotta make new games with a lower budget

because times have changed and this is not 1996 anymore

all neo geo lands have been shut down...it must mean something...yeah?

and they moved to AW not because "omg mvs is dated" but because sammy must have given them loads of cash...

and the bootlegs problem certainly didn't help...

so today i don't feel like shitting on playmore too much

but chaos...christ,that's one of the lamest 2d fighters out there

if you have some sense,
you don't hype a game people have been waiting for 5+ years when you know it's the worst one you ever produced

horrible to look at,unplayable,sad

that wasn't a smart move for playmore

and it's a shame,really

specially if they haven't learnt the lesson ( judging from what i read about NBC )

but it's just a loke test,there's time to fix those problems and make nbc a decent game...if they want

people think i hate playmore or these new games because i'm a bitter pissed off nostalgic

but it's not true

because,honestly,i don't want to spend the rest of my life playing games i already know or have played for the past decade

problem is :

if the "new" wave of games is made of guilty gear,rumble fish,svcc and cfj

then no thanks,i'm not that desperate ( not yet at least )

Loopz
01-22-2005, 05:48 PM

if you have some sense,
you don't hype a game people have been waiting for 5+ years when you know it's the worst one you ever produced

horrible to look at,unplayable,sad

that wasn't a smart move for playmore

and it's a shame,really

specially if they haven't learnt the lesson ( judging from what i read about NBC )

but it's just a loke test,there's time to fix those problems and make nbc a decent game...if they want

people think i hate playmore or these new games because i'm a bitter pissed off nostalgic

but it's not true

because,honestly,i don't want to spend the rest of my life playing games i already know or have played for the past decade

problem is :

if the "new" wave of games is made of guilty gear,rumble fish,svcc and cfj

then no thanks,i'm not that desperate ( not yet at least )

Well said Fran. That's where I'm at.
The hidden treasures of MAME and the classics are enough to keep this gamer's soul warm. The new Playmore shite is the equivalent of straight-to-video sequels to movies that are sequels in name only, that have nothing to do with the talent responsible for the originals. Cash in on the name for as long as you can I guess.

kafuin_gaira
01-22-2005, 05:51 PM
i think this is the game that will kill my dreams of 2d fighters. sorry to be pessimistic and ruin anyone's hopes this time around, but i just ain't feeling this shit no more (and i was hyped as shit before the loke my damn self).

:annoyed:

JHendrix
01-22-2005, 06:16 PM
I think you all are getting a bit too deep here.

Yeah they're recycling stuff graphics wise, but meh it's all about if the games are fun.

I wouldn't hate on Playmore, KOF2k2 is fun as anything; I like it more than 98 now to be honest. Even 2k3 is fun, mainly because I don't know anyone who abuses Duo Lon so we have a good time playing it.

I mean jeeze look at it this way, these games will come out and we'll eventually get to play em in an arcade (not most of us sadly) or on the obligatory PS2 port. It's $50, you'll see if you like it or not and go on from there. It's not like these things are something we have to break the bank for now anymore, so even if it turns out to be a turd you can turn around and make most of your money back or in a worst case you're out $50, big whoop.

I mean, yeah it sucks we're not getting full upgrades in every department, but try it before you knock it.

beelzebubble
01-22-2005, 07:51 PM
id rather play cfj than sfa3 despite the fact it's uninspired .

id rather play 2k2 than 98 despite the fact it's bgs and music are not up to par .

id rather play ss5s than ss2 despite the fact they fucked up the home release .

id rather play 2k3 than 94/95/96/97/99/00/01 despite the fact duolons in it .

yeah production values and soul are more abundant in 96, 98, rb2, lb, ss2, etc but that doesnt make them more fun/better to play if you ask me.

chaos breaker is cool, cfj is tight, 2k3 is fun.. there is a glimmer of hope for the future imo.

DevilRedeemed
01-22-2005, 07:54 PM
fair points. but do you remember the amount of noise people where making about playmore working on new hardware meaning better grafix? call it silly, by my theory is that they do this to give longevity to the products and the system they are made on - if playmore where making their best work available from the get go, they would have little to offer 2 years down the line.
I'm sure we haven't seen the end of 2D - in fact a true revival could be just around the corner (nothing in the league of what it used to be - but quality products of an ilk we expect as enthusiasts).

I think you all are getting a bit too deep here.

Yeah they're recycling stuff graphics wise, but meh it's all about if the games are fun.

I wouldn't hate on Playmore, KOF2k2 is fun as anything; I like it more than 98 now to be honest. Even 2k3 is fun, mainly because I don't know anyone who abuses Duo Lon so we have a good time playing it.

I mean jeeze look at it this way, these games will come out and we'll eventually get to play em in an arcade (not most of us sadly) or on the obligatory PS2 port. It's $50, you'll see if you like it or not and go on from there. It's not like these things are something we have to break the bank for now anymore, so even if it turns out to be a turd you can turn around and make most of your money back or in a worst case you're out $50, big whoop.

I mean, yeah it sucks we're not getting full upgrades in every department, but try it before you knock it.

DevilRedeemed
01-22-2005, 07:57 PM
id rather play cfj than sfa3 despite the fact it's uninspired .

id rather play 2k2 than 98 despite the fact it's bgs and music are not up to par .

id rather play 2k3 than 94/95/96/97/99/00/01 despite the fact duolons in it .

yeah production values and soul are more abundant in 96, 98, rb2, lb, ss2, etc but that doesnt make them more fun/better to play if you ask me.

chaos breaker is cool, cfj is tight, 2k3 is fun.. there is a glimmer of hope for the future imo.

you forgot to mention neowave :kekeke:

Loopz
01-22-2005, 08:01 PM
you forgot to mention neowave :kekeke:

LOL, the 2D fighters argument equivalent of 'You forgot Poland.'

JHendrix
01-22-2005, 08:50 PM
LOL, the 2D fighters argument equivalent of 'You forgot Poland.'

I don't know why people hate on Neowave, I can hardly wait till I get the chance to play the friggin thing. I mean it's KOF2k2 revamped, that fact alone should get you excited seeing as 2k2 is definitely one of the best KOF's ever VS. wise IMO.

Now where's my PS2 port? :(

YeldellGW
01-22-2005, 08:56 PM
ohh and the dash from SvC sucks :oh_no:

I found nothing wrong with the limited dash ability of SvC Chaos.

with the same sound effects , no dash and no hops....sorry but if the initial impresions are bad

Speak for yourself.

Much as I love KOF, I can still enjoy other fighters that lack those things.

Good grief! It's amazing you people even play any other fighters.

I hate those pauses that freeze the game when a DM/Super are done (Something that's never been used in the Vampire series games.), yet I get over it a play the game anyways.

Lack of hops or full running dash won't fuck the damn game.

Playmore could have just pulled a SF II and not bothered of putting in any type of forward advancing move you know.

kafuin_gaira
01-22-2005, 09:15 PM

mvs or uni is the only reason to own this game.

i would only want the atomiswave version. at this point i'm very tempted to sell the damn rig, even if 50% of the beta shit gets fixed.

1p is the only redeeming part of this game. vs is nothing but a pile of dogshit. if these fuckers didn't get that from the respnse to chaos, i'm not sure what else to say.

k'_127
01-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Lack of hops or full running dash won't fuck the damn game.

I like the SS and SFIII, and those don't have hops.

but the problem here is that they have based the game on KOF. it's hard to explain, but doing so and not having hops simply ruins everything, and I can't see why did they remove them.

if they really, wanna remove hops and make something different, they should re-do the whole fighting engine. chagning the buttons layout for example (as in Last Blade 1) or having zoom in/out camera. I think you got the point.

fatal fury fan #2
01-22-2005, 09:27 PM
so at the loke test there was only 2 open spots and there is an update on the NGBC site 4 new premium gallery NAKORURU, CYBER WOO, HAOHMARU, and GENJYURO

SouthtownKid
01-22-2005, 10:52 PM
I don't know why people hate on Neowave, I can hardly wait till I get the chance to play the friggin thing. I mean it's KOF2k2 revamped, that fact alone should get you excited seeing as 2k2 is definitely one of the best KOF's ever VS. wise IMO.

Now where's my PS2 port? :(That is exactly -- EXACTLY -- how I felt until about 30 seconds after hitting 'player one start.' Is it a bad game? No. But I also didn't like it as much as '02, particularly the roster. If I played it more vs., maybe it would have grown on me. Enough to play a port. Definitely not enough to wire my cab to play AW.

but the problem here is that they have based the game on KOF. it's hard to explain, but doing so and not having hops simply ruins everything, and I can't see why did they remove them. My impression of SvC was that the game was NOT based on KOF...that was the whole point. It didn't use a KOF engine, and the mechanics were all different. I thought they were going for a more old-school FFS/FF3 style (although FF3 does have small jumps), to make it more accessible to mainstreamers or Capcom fans, since their games never (as far as I can remember) had small jumps or running.

In that respect, I really liked what they were aiming for. Back to basics, 1-on-1 fighting -- no rolls, no grooves -- a return of a little '93-'94 style in the fighting combined with the modern. It's just that they missed the target. By a lot. But I do think it's possible they could develop something good out of the failure of the SvC engine. Fix collision. Make GCS work they way they envisioned it. It's possible.

if they really, wanna remove hops and make something different, they should re-do the whole fighting engine. chagning the buttons layout for example (as in Last Blade 1) or having zoom in/out camera. I think you got the point.NBC has zoom in/zoom out, doesn't it?

As for changing the button layout, judging by how few of you guys give respect to the Real Bout games, they may not want to go that way again. If you don't have at least 2 punches and 2 kicks in a fist fighting game, people bitch. I've heard it over the Real Bouts, I've heard it over the AOF series, I've heard it over the WH series. A lot of Capcom fans bitch that there aren't 3 punches and 3 kicks...

Orochi Iori Y
01-23-2005, 12:19 AM

Now where's my PS2 port? :(

Agreed... I still can't wait to play this game...

My impression of SvC was that the game was NOT based on KOF...that was the whole point. It didn't use a KOF engine, and the mechanics were all different. I thought they were going for a more old-school FFS/FF3 style (although FF3 does have small jumps), to make it more accessible to mainstreamers or Capcom fans, since their games never (as far as I can remember) had small jumps or running.

In that respect, I really liked what they were aiming for. Back to basics, 1-on-1 fighting -- no rolls, no grooves -- a return of a little '93-'94 style in the fighting combined with the modern. It's just that they missed the target. By a lot. But I do think it's possible they could develop something good out of the failure of the SvC engine. Fix collision. Make GCS work they way they envisioned it. It's possible.

Spot on SK, I love KoF, it is the best fighting series out there, but different is not necessarily bad...

LWK
01-23-2005, 01:39 AM
No running or short hops ends this game for me. I really wish SVC was never made.

k'_127
01-23-2005, 01:52 AM
My impression of SvC was that the game was NOT based on KOF...that was the whole point. It didn't use a KOF engine, and the mechanics were all different. I thought they were going for a more old-school FFS/FF3 style (although FF3 does have small jumps), to make it more accessible to mainstreamers or Capcom fans, since their games never (as far as I can remember) had small jumps or running.

NBC has zoom in/zoom out, doesn't it?

As for changing the button layout, judging by how few of you guys give respect to the Real Bout games, they may not want to go that way again. If you don't have at least 2 punches and 2 kicks in a fist fighting game, people bitch. I've heard it over the Real Bouts, I've heard it over the AOF series, I've heard it over the WH series. A lot of Capcom fans bitch that there aren't 3 punches and 3 kicks...

I mean the "game" was based on KOF. the look. the characters size. the layout ..... etc. they tried to make changes on the game's engine afterward, but failed.

if you're gonna keep a fighting game as simple as you mentioned, naturally, it won't be fun competetivly.

the button layout was just an example. still, I think it's a better idea than removing hops. they could have at least left small jumps similar to those found in CvS2.

tsukaesugi
01-23-2005, 03:50 AM
all neo geo lands have been shut down...it must mean something...yeah?

actually that's not true

there are still two left, one in Chiba and the other in Sendai

http://www.snkplaymore.jp/shop/nb_chiba.html

although they're technically not Neo-Geo Lands, but Neo-Geo Bowls

with bowling and karaoke

and probably more UFO catchers than candycabs inside

someone from the forums went to one of the two bigger Neo-Geo lands before they were closed down

and then went to Akihabara

and said there were more mvs cabs in Akiba than the Neo-Geo Land

so i've got no real urge to truck all the way out to Chiba for a smaller selection of games than what i can play at the Akiba Taito arcades

speaking of arcades

there's a Capcom Plaza here in Tokyo, it's the entire basement of a department store

a gamer's dream come true, right? as it turns out the thing is entirely filled with UFO catchers

there are only ten head-to-head cabs, one game was Capcom Fighting Jam, one was Virtua Fighter, and the other three were Gundam

ok, i'd better stop typing like this before i start to make Fran mad, he's one of the few people here i really respect, and he, like me, likes Psikyo

and thanks to beelze for the loke test report, another fine job

if there's a loke test here in Tokyo i'll try and go so i can add my two cents

Amano Jacu
01-23-2005, 06:28 AM
Does somebody care to explain me why the fact that there are no hops and running destroy this game? I possibly won't even note the absence because I suck at those games anyway.

And about all the story of how "old games were better", you are possibly right, but I've already had and played those games, and I can still do so. However I also want new ones. If somebody doesn't, well, just don't get them, don't bother reading News & Rumors, and keep playing just old stuff.

SonGohan
01-23-2005, 07:16 AM
id rather play cfj than sfa3 despite the fact it's uninspired

I don't understand this, because both games are very different. SFA3 is a balls-out Street Fighter game, and CFJ is just CvS2 lite.

DevilRedeemed
01-23-2005, 07:54 AM
Neo-Dio footage/screens here:
http://www.neo-arcadia.com/News/voir_news.php?action=voirtout

I'm reading some stuff on the neo-arcadia forums from a guy who was there today (who took the pictures/film footage of neo dio). some really cool stuff! apparently Marco has a move where one of the prisoners comes on screen and does a fireball (like he does in the metal slug series).
and even cooler - Yuki has a super where she performs some sort of powerful move and the screen goes white - when this happens the 100 megashock logo comes on. that sounds brilliant.

beelzebubble
01-23-2005, 09:14 AM
loke test no.1 report part 2 : sunday afternoon 3:15-6:00.

there were only about 10 ppl at first i thought it had finished coz the machines had changed places but i found it eventually :) went by myself as exile bailed in favor of tomorrow. played about 10 vs matches (with a couple of wins somehow) and about 3 times on the 1p machine, my initial impression has changed as it always does anyways....

ART:

-ive liked all the ingame artwork ive seen, they are well drawn and unique, geese looks pissed in his flanked by two of his henchmen both in black suits.
-chonshu looks totally like a ten year old girl in his.
-mr big is pimping with two sluts hanging off him.

__________________________________________________ _______________
SYSTEM:

-D assault does bar and the red shadow bar (the bar beneath the health bar that indicates how much health can be replenished when tagged out) which is what makes it a necessary part of your game, don't cut down red bar and the opponent can technically tag out a character with 1 pixel left and then have them healed to 90% in around 30 seconds (ive seen it happen). D assault can be comboed off some juggles (kyo's for example).
-again i played some games where nothing more than good bar management and intelligent taggin won the game.
-anti airs seem strong, stronger than KOF at this point (chonshu, fuuma, hanzou, etc).
-character when one character is killed their bar completely disappears.
-hyper charge once you tag the character in lasts about 20 seconds or so.
-the screen zooms out to about 2 screen lengths or more in size, it takes a long time (at least 4 dashes) to get to a character on one side, jumps also only get you so far... fireball characters and those with long projectile supers (yuuki and tung for example) might be powerful in this game.
-never once saw the guard bar crushed, takes a long time and a lot of blocked hits to crush it.
-D assault goes about 2 thirds of a zoomed in screen and is not as fast as ryo's ranbu super, similar properties though and less start up than the ranbu.
-you can tag in and out and still keep your red (damage done) bar, tagging doesnt make it disappear, seems to refill even if you tag the character in then out again in a short time... could be dependent on aggressiveness or some other factor though...
-the game is fairly complicated with d assault (redbar and normal damage done), hyper charge (health bar flashes, can do more damage), auto charge (when auto charged your super bar build automatically until it fills completely, not sure how it starts up) and the different types of damage (permanent and red bar) as well as the need to intelligently tag and manage damage bars....
-special moves inputs are not as strict as neo wave which is good.. thought it might have been the atomiswave joysticks but its not.
-LP's are super fast for some characters (mr karate), not sure why except maybe its to make KOF style lights into supers, etc harder to do..?
-forced tags seem totally safe, invincibility and priority for the one forced in, an effort to stop 2k3 style tag abuse it seems.
-only 2 types of jump normal and big. big is done by d-u on the stick or mid dash/step jumping.
-safe fall is A+B
-throw and throw reversal is C+D
-guard tag is E during guard.

MISC:

-graphics have grown on me. the game still doesnt seem as tight in terms of hit boxes on normals, specials and the like as say kof2k3 but the game looks really consistent (the coloring, faces, style, etc all have a consistent look which is great) and the only graphics gripe i have after spending more time with it today is the obvious rez difference between the sprites and the bgs.
-yuuki prefight yuuki looks around like some cheezy kungfu flick and around him little windows like comic speech bubbles appear with enlarged pictures of his eyes as he winks or gives a cool stare... lol
-long loading time between battles or on start up of 1p game, something like 5-10 seconds.
-cant hear the music.
-mizuchi and king lion regenerate at a super rapid rate, supers only do half their actual damage due to regeneration speed.
-one guy beat mizuchi, and there was a thing about WAREZ then for a short time a picture popped up of a shadowy looking character wearing a big medieval barabarian looking fur lined coat. his face looked like that of rugal and he was holding a whip or piece of rope wrapped around his hand. he had a touch of krauzer about him too.
-iori and kyo have a super cool prefight intro. they throw flames at each other in a sort of choreographed duel and the screen blacks out as the flames hit each other leaving only the flames on screen, they finish it by both doing kyos sliding flame super move away from each other (iori purple and kyo yellow of course).

CHARACTER COLORS:

-chonshu, purple suit with light blue trim.
-hotaru beige pants+shirt, dark blue vest, dark pink ribbon and darker skin.
-dark black skinned geese with green pants, green fire and dirty white shirt.
-robert outfit, black pants, white jacket and darker skin.
-chonshu zombie version has an off white suit with dark grey trim and very pale skin.
-akari, dark blue dress with yellow trim.
-hotaru, pinky white pants and shirt with purple vest and light pink bow.
-red haomaru with black trim.
-red pants black vest with pink hair marco.
-mr big with purplish outfit and really dark skin.
-blue haomaru with gold trim, cool!
-yellow pants kyo.
-mustard haired k with blue gloves.
-purplish blue with red trim kim who has darker skin.
-orange suit with orange hair lee.
-white hair, dark blue jacket and black jeans rock.
-yellow suit with white trim chonshu.
-green with white trim chonrei.
-dark blue suit with pinkish hair k.
-black pants, black vest, green shirt with white hair kaede.
-pink with dark pink trim akari.
-zombie chonrei with black suit, red trim and very pale skin.
-hanzo red suit with purple lining for the d button version.

CHARACTERS AND THEIR MOVES:

-marco uses a machine gun, pistol, rocket launcher, knife and grenades, etc.
-chonshu can cross up with j.HK.
-lee is fast, normals are pretty good, has an iori style reverse kick for crossup, super is a blade spin like a blanka ball or a dp move from one of the kizuna ninjas.
-fuuma is cool, has a super fb that travels along the ground. his flame dive super hits on the way up like a hokutomaru kick super then hits again on the way down. has a short dash blade attack done with kick button that seems to be a special but might be some funky normal, looked to have either overhead or unblockable properties.
-fuumas blade spin (like his version of the ken spin kick) does big damage but leaves him reasonably prone afterwards.
-athenas normals with punch seem to be sword slashes, looks like shes got some good pokes. has a dive from the air with her sword out in front of her move presumably a special.
-akari was running... only lb characters?? the same way that ss characters use a different button layout??
-yuukis normals are all a bit funky and awkward looking like a ds character.
-lee has a cool super fast vega style wall jump with different attacks from different buttons... du charge move using punch.
-robert has a new overhead kick, quite slow maybe f+B? when he does his dp move his leg glows now.
-hanzos double fb+K super he throws a star and if it hits he throws another ten or so with the last doing a chunk of damage. very fast.
-tung s.C from rb2 is now f+C but nowhere near as good. jumping D crosses up.
-mudman can mask spin in the air and he hangs there like a helicopter, great for avoiding fbs and ground supers.
-mudmans s.HP works as an anti air, the one where he leans forward and a spirit pops out the front of his mask.
-fuma qcb+punch is a power palm move (think zantetsu). hanzo seems to have it too.
-ryos hop overhead (qcf+K in KOF) is now dp+K.
-last hit of chonshus chain where he launches you for a juggle he now is lined by a blue aura.
-chonshus aura palm slap to teleport beat down now has him teleporting at a slower pace so you can see him slap the opponent better plus the teleport looks cooler, looks good.
-chonrei has a super where he seems to do his s.A from rb2 (a light punch) but it has a pink afterglow and looks like a throw or touch move.
-HP->throw the thing rush attack super (k's) no longer seems to combo.
-ioris command grab no longer seems to give you enough time to follow it up, saw some guys trying with the s.HP and s.LP as well as rushing in after it... none of them would connect.
-crazy kyo combo, double kicks->qcf+p (rekka) one hit->juggle into d assault.

GRAPHICS:

-scaling is subtley done.
-chonreis upper body is completely new as is chonshus. they have a real kof look to them.
-all faces seemed to be changed to look more consistent, sorta kof style.
-robert looks more stocky, bigger legs might be totally redrawn.
-effects are nice (hit sparks, block sparks, supers, etc).
-new animation for chonshu dragon super.
-asura didnt seem out of place to me.
-king lion seems to be a totally redrawn sprite.. sorta looks like hes got a bit of heavy d (stance) and krauzer in him, looks really good.
-zooming way out gives slightly less space than in say ss2.

its grown on me a lot since my first impression. whether its balanced or not is still of course impossible to tell though gcfs, tagging and the other things tried in svc and 2k3 seem to be pretty solid so far. the blurry sprites disappoint me as does the lack of tightness i feel when playing it (though it doesnt feel sloppy at all like svc).

more tomorrow.

beelzebubble
01-23-2005, 09:21 AM
I don't understand this, because both games are very different. SFA3 is a balls-out Street Fighter game, and CFJ is just CvS2 lite.

playing in the arcade gives me no joy whereas playing cfj does. vism and other aspects really detract from my ability to enjoy a3. cfj on the other hand is well balanced with nothing breaking so far. cvs2 lite maybe but it has no rolls which i dont really like (not the way they were implemented in cvs anyways), ryu is fun as hell and ingrid rocks. no blanka or sagat either.

SonGohan
01-23-2005, 09:41 AM
playing in the arcade gives me no joy whereas playing cfj does. vism and other aspects really detract from my ability to enjoy a3. cfj on the other hand is well balanced with nothing breaking so far. cvs2 lite maybe but it has no rolls which i dont really like (not the way they were implemented in cvs anyways), ryu is fun as hell and ingrid rocks. no blanka or sagat either.

If you're into lite fighters, then I'm not anybody to judge (I remember you saying CvS2 had too much stuff in it for your tastes). I just thought your comparison was odd with CFJ and SFA3 seeing as how they're two completely different games. People complain too much about rolls in CvS2, but they aren't a big deal (by the way, both Shin Gouki and Ingrid can roll). No Blanka or Sagat, but you get sweet little Jedah.

CFJ lacks anything new brought to the table. It doesn't have any sort of inspiration in it, either. When I say inspiration, I mean actual game play, not art or music or anything like that. CFJ is a cookie-cutter game. When you play it, you may have fun, but everything seen in that game can be had elsewhere, and better, so why even play it?

bokmeow
01-23-2005, 09:44 AM
-ioris command grab no longer seems to give you enough time to follow it up, saw some guys trying with the s.HP and s.LP as well as rushing in after it... none of them would connect.

Cool, looks like they finally made the timing stricter ala Gals Fighters.

beelzebubble
01-23-2005, 09:51 AM
If you're into lite fighters, then I'm not anybody to judge (I remember you saying CvS2 had too much stuff in it for your tastes). I just thought your comparison was odd with CFJ and SFA3 seeing as how they're two completely different games. People complain too much about rolls in CvS2, but they aren't a big deal (by the way, both Shin Gouki and Ingrid can roll). No Blanka or Sagat, but you get sweet little Jedah.

CFJ lacks anything new brought to the table. It doesn't have any sort of inspiration in it, either. When I say inspiration, I mean actual game play, not art or music or anything like that. CFJ is a cookie-cutter game. When you play it, you may have fun, but everything seen in that game can be had elsewhere, and better, so why even play it?

its tight. so tight that i feel like i can beat almost anyone provided i sit down and learn from my mistakes something i dont get when i face down a vism fiend in a3, a crazy sagat in anniversary or parrying in sf3. thats not to say that those games arent tight its just that i dont enjoy playing them.

cfj ive only being playing half a year or so though (however long its been since it came out) so i might get bored with it. to be honest if the arcade had the games in it i wanted id be playing vs kizuna, lb1, rb2, kof2k2, kof96, sfa2, breakers revenge, etc......

p.s jedah isnt such a problem anymore and if i try to think of one really irritating character who might be overpowered no one comes to mind which speaks volumes for the balance imo.

DevilRedeemed
01-23-2005, 09:52 AM
as always Beelzebubble - thanks!! looks like they put some serious effort into this one

the loading times quite irritating - do you get a loading screen or is it all black?
how do the backrounds stand up compraed to other SNK(P) games? I remember seeing footage and noting the staticness of it all.

beelzebubble
01-23-2005, 10:28 AM
as always Beelzebubble - thanks!! looks like they put some serious effort into this one

the loading times quite irritating - do you get a loading screen or is it all black?
how do the backrounds stand up compraed to other SNK(P) games? I remember seeing footage and noting the staticness of it all.

black screen when it loads making me think itll be out/shorter or have a loading screen in the final version (which should get dated in this saturdays arcadia hopefully).

no theres a fair amount of activity in the bgs.. at least as much as 2k2 id say... much much better and cleaner looking than nw.

k'_127
01-23-2005, 01:36 PM
thanks Beelze.

barf
01-23-2005, 04:59 PM
loading ... hmm so either the data is packed (i mean compressed) or it has a GD-ROM :P good news for hidden characters (might be many).

5-10 seconds is OK, gives time to taunt your real opponent, you know, exchanging few words or looks ;)

DevilRedeemed
01-23-2005, 05:10 PM
no-one exited about Neo-Dio?

SouthtownKid
01-23-2005, 05:11 PM
no-one exited about Neo-Dio?Extremely.

Setsuna1982
01-23-2005, 06:16 PM
no-one exited about Neo-Dio?

maybe there's hope for muscle power... this game needs more grapplers

NeoGML
01-23-2005, 11:16 PM
Lil' Beezy,

I know that you had said most/all of the sprites were redrawn, but i need closure:
is K''s sprite redrawn?

and is Kim Kaphwan's sprite still sort of chopped up, in terms of meshing old animations with new ones? [Same question goes for Iori]

And for those face-redraws, are they consistent throughout or do they only appear in some animations, a la Iori/Vanessa?

I know this is a rather particular set of questions, but i'm really curious.

Thanks.

P.S. - if you don't get "Lil' Beezy," it's a reference to Lil' Wayne (Lil' Weezy).

...Forget it, don't worry about it.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew
01-23-2005, 11:36 PM
its tight. so tight that i feel like i can beat almost anyone provided i sit down and learn from my mistakes something i dont get when i face down a vism fiend in a3, a crazy sagat in anniversary or parrying in sf3. thats not to say that those games arent tight its just that i dont enjoy playing them.

cfj ive only being playing half a year or so though (however long its been since it came out) so i might get bored with it. to be honest if the arcade had the games in it i wanted id be playing vs kizuna, lb1, rb2, kof2k2, kof96, sfa2, breakers revenge, etc......

p.s jedah isnt such a problem anymore and if i try to think of one really irritating character who might be overpowered no one comes to mind which speaks volumes for the balance imo.

you don't enjoy sf3 because of parrying? :spock:

01-23-2005, 11:43 PM
This genre's dead man, the classics and undiscovered gems (courtesy of MAME) are all that remain. There hasn't been a really worthy new 2D fighter since CvS2.
SFAC is really the last hurrah, barring a release of KoF'98 or Garou with XBL.

Or SFA2/3, a Darkstalkers collection, Last Blade, Sam Sho collection on XBL.

Orpheus
01-24-2005, 12:19 AM
Yeah, true. But I was just living in this romantic land where I assumed he had so much style. I mean, would it kill him to wear something with a bit of fashion. He seems to know a lot about it, but...

No matter. The guy still has incredible skill be the miles.

Dude, you are soooooo fuckin gay.

Robert
01-24-2005, 12:45 AM
Thanks a lot for all the comment about the game.
I'm always smiling when I read that SvC has horrible collision boxes compare to older games like SS2 since, IMHO, the SS has the WORST "hit feeling" I have ever played. The whole slow motion style when you slash an opponent has just killed the serie for me. I HATE that.
I love SvC and KOF 03. I had tons of fun with both of them. that's the most important. Plus there are some of the only games I wanted to spend more times to get better. The last one was Garou.

k'_127
01-24-2005, 03:23 AM
Or SFA2/3, a Darkstalkers collection, Last Blade, Sam Sho collection on XBL.

xbox fanboy

beelzebubble
01-24-2005, 04:22 AM
i need hosting space for some vids, who can help?

@butta no i hate parrying, too hard for its own good imo.

honeyman
01-24-2005, 06:14 AM
Really nice impressions there, you present a good feeling for the game. Keep playing it and tell us more as you go.

Nice to know that the presentation aspects of the game are there as well as the gameplay.

Spike Spiegel
01-24-2005, 07:29 AM
Dude, you are soooooo fuckin gay.

Says the guy with an avatar such as yours? L O L, you skinny fag.

Seijuro Hiko
01-24-2005, 07:29 AM
Yeah some vids, that's nice!

I don't know if I can help, but how big are they, Beelze?

01-24-2005, 07:30 AM
xbox fanboy

ok

Spike Spiegel
01-24-2005, 07:31 AM
I also want to check out the vids. Also, the question raised about heads and animation is a big one. I hate what they did to Vanessa and Iori. Two perfectly good.... erm... heads, ruined. Vanessa was so cute, and then they turned her into a trailer park head on half her animations. WTF?

Kirk Foiden
01-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the info updates. I'm definitely interested in how this turns out. Another game, with a nice character roster. I'm actually surprised people like Fuuma are turning out good. There's definitely some interesting stuff to try out, in this game. It already sounds like a nice *party* game, at least.

beelzebubble
01-24-2005, 08:20 AM
vids coming soon if all things go according to plan, they were taken by exile both pretty much in plain view and stealth style through the windows and shit :) exile got asked to stop filming more than once :)

todays impressions :

ok got to really sit down and play the game properly as well as do a lot of fooling around thanks to two factors, exile being with me so we could both punching bag for each other and the fact that most of the day (we were there from about 2:15-6:30) there were only like 10 ppl or so. at times for an hour or more we had the machines completely to ourselves.

firstly the hitboxes issue seems to be my imagination, we thoroughly checked the hit boxes on some LP's, HP's and some kicks and they seemed to have nice hitboxes that pretty much corresponded to the shape of the sprite.

we tried out the A+B dash (uses about 1/2 of a single bar) and discovered that unlike normal dash it goes through attacks ala roll. the ff during block step works the same way, costs the same (1/2 a bar) and the dash is seemingly cancellable making guard->ff->LP possible, might screw the game as comboing from a LP or LK is possible with d assualt and d assault does real and regenerable damage making d assault combos far too effective and useful.

basically i think dash from guard should be taken out or nerfed and d assault should only do regenerable (red bar) damage or cost far more to do coz i was using it to do simple j.HK->c.LK->d assault combos with terry for considerable damage. d assault does not go on super bar it seems to be determined by some other criteria but it becomes available quickly enough to make scoring a nice d assault combo far too easy to do frequently. so basically d assault should be nerfed too imo.

vids soon (an hour or so) and impressions from today as well.

Kirk Foiden
01-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Hmm. Wouldn't all of that be solved by having D-assault require use of the super bar?

beelzebubble
01-24-2005, 09:33 AM
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetdreamcast/orochinagi/cyberfan/news/nbc/hotaru.avi

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetdreamcast/orochinagi/cyberfan/news/nbc/kinglion.avi

youll need a fileplanet account.

THANKS TO EXILE FOR THE CAMERAWORK AND MESSENGER FUN.

THANKS TO REMUKHAN FOR THE HOSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!

neojedi
01-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the vids!

Edit: Ignore my previous message... I went after the first file before the west coast server replicated to the east.

Edit #2: The damage vs Moriya on that King Lion super is funny to me. :D

Setsuna1982
01-24-2005, 09:45 AM
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetdreamcast/orochinagi/cyberfan/news/nbc/hotaru.avi

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetdreamcast/orochinagi/cyberfan/news/nbc/kinglion.avi

youll need a fileplanet account.

THANKS TO EXILE FOR THE CAMERAWORK AND MESSENGER FUN.

THANKS TO REMUKHAN FOR THE HOSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!

faster download with no accounts in a few minutes

01-24-2005, 09:46 AM
Anyone want to mirror this? Fuck signing up for another account somewhere.

beelzebubble
01-24-2005, 09:55 AM
Anyone want to mirror this? Fuck signing up for another account somewhere.

happening as we speak thanks to SETSUNA1982!!!

Freelancer
01-24-2005, 09:56 AM

Yay!! :cool:

bloodriot
01-24-2005, 09:56 AM
I have 20 megs to host, arcadecrawler@mweb.co.za fast connection so should be up fast :spock:

exile
01-24-2005, 09:58 AM
sorry bout the dodgy quality of the vids, they're off my digital camera which can do video as well. the auto focus on it does wierd things, hence the random re-focusing and unfocused ending to the King Lion footage.

i tried a couple of other times to get more footage but from the hidden spots there were people blocking the view and from the not-so-hidden spots the staff pounced on us straight away. shoulda got more footage in earlier on when there was no-one there instead of playin the game :(

i'm not a big fan of the KOF engine but my impression is that the game is tight... there's just no comparison to the sloppyness of SVC. characters look good, though the sprites are a bit blurry.

the D Assault seems way too big a focus of the game atm. it has a simple input, good priority, rushes forward at good speed and distance, can be comboed off any light attack, does excellent damage and eats your regeneratable bar.

Tung is WICKED! still feels like RB Tung but with HEAPS of great moves he's finally gotten the makeover he deserved. the schoolgirl with the briefcase is wierd but very strong with fast overhead specials. Fuma is a BEAST and has probably the best dragon punch in the game.

there are some wierd chains or normal move sequences, for example chonshu can cancel/chain his heavy sweep into his f+C overhead attack :eek:

i'm goin to bed. might add some more impressions to beelz's soon-to-come, comprehensive report if i think of anything else.

01-24-2005, 09:58 AM

yar he posted right before me. i r slow.

beelzebubble
01-24-2005, 10:01 AM
I have 20 megs to host, arcadecrawler@mweb.co.za fast connection so should be up fast :spock:

thanks for the offer!

sorted though :)

edit -- might post my written impressions from today tomorrow night, its two here already and im about ready to relax :)

edit 2 -- saw neodio with my own eyes. and hotaru info :

hotaru rules in this, i tried her for the first time and decided to take her up. her new moves are in the vid and unless i am mistaken they are her stance change (f+B) where she goes into a crouch stance which itself may work as a counter though im not sure.

anyways from the new stance you can do (as shown in the vid) a LK for a crouching kick, a HK for an overhead kick (the one where she jumps up) a short palm with LP and a big palm (like the ender on her hcb+P) with HP.

she also has a d+LK head stomp ala chunli.

bloodriot
01-24-2005, 10:05 AM
thanks for the offer!

sorted though :)

cool, too bad tho I'm with a isp so the bandwith would be unlimted for dls

so glad about this though:

firstly the hitboxes issue seems to be my imagination, we thoroughly checked the hit boxes on some LP's, HP's and some kicks and they seemed to have nice hitboxes that pretty much corresponded to the shape of the sprite.

sounds great :buttrock:

Setsuna1982
01-24-2005, 10:15 AM
King lion vid (5.91 mb - 37secs)
http://www.neogeopro.com/videos/ngbc/loketest-kinglion.avi

Hotaru one in a few minutes

NOTE: While uploading the server had a problem. I hope it's fixed now

Freelancer
01-24-2005, 10:20 AM

Hotaru one in a few minutes

NOTE: While uploading the server had a problem. I hope it's fixed now

Works fine.
The video gets a bit blurry and then obstructed during the last 40% or so.
But from what I can see, it's looking pretty good. From the brief movie, animation is nice and it does appear that the hits are registering correctly.

kafuin_gaira
01-24-2005, 10:22 AM
shit i dunno what to think. guess it's best to just hold off until some of the gameplay issues are resolved. :emb:

beelzebubble
01-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Works fine.
The video gets a bit blurry and then obstructed during the last 40% or so.
But from what I can see, it's looking pretty good. From the brief movie, animation is nice and it does appear that the hits are registering correctly.

you wouldnt believe it but that vid was taken from outside the gamecentre through a window coz we got busted filming too many times and had to ninja that shit... we were like 5 metres away from the machine :)

hotaru one came from inside though :)

Freelancer
01-24-2005, 10:27 AM
you wouldnt believe it but that vid was taken from outside the gamecentre through a window coz we got busted filming too many times and had to ninja that shit... we were like 5 metres away from the machine :)

hotaru one came from inside though :)

Pretty remarkable that you were able to get even this much from outside! :eek:
Your efforts are truly appreciated!

Setsuna1982
01-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Hotaru vid (17.9 mb - 59secs)
http://www.neogeopro.com/videos/ngbc/loketest-hotaru.avi

Kazuya_UK
01-24-2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the vids guys :buttrock:

Kaz

01-24-2005, 11:25 AM
wow those vids are great! :eek:

robert's new stance is so cool! he is dancing or something xD
boss background seems to be in 3d without zoom effect bytheway , but all the new animations ,and the new charas look perfect, please fix the sound effects...!

Moon Jump
01-24-2005, 12:29 PM
That you very much for getting the videos and to Setsuna for hosting them. The game looks really good. I felt bad for Moriya though, he got his ass kicked in that King Lion video. Can't wait to see more.

Orochi Iori Y
01-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Awesome... Thanks for the vids and the info... :buttrock:

SouthtownKid
01-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Yeah, beauty vids! (and thanks for having them in a format my computer can see!) Thanks, Beelze, Exile, and Setsuna...

Stephane
01-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Beelzebubble thank for the report about the gameplay of this game and your feeling :) i m downloading this videos now !

Setsuna1982
01-24-2005, 01:17 PM
i'll try to encode them in windows media, just in case someone have problems. Also windows media can provide smaller file size

barf
01-24-2005, 01:31 PM
good good good, now i want to play that game :) Thx beelze and exile !

Stephane
01-24-2005, 01:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/kamenpanzer/neodio3.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/kamenpanzer/neodio1.jpg

Neo-Dio seem interesting !

Kevin Paul
01-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the vids. I think the game looks pretty sweet. Here's hoping people are writing down complaints and comments and SNK/Playmore addressing them.

Setsuna1982
01-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Surprise surprise. Same videos, now in Windows Media flavour. Less size, same quality

Hotaru vid (2.93 mb - 59secs)
http://www.neogeopro.com/videos/ngbc/loketest-hotaru.wmv

King lion vid (1.86 mb - 37secs)
http://www.neogeopro.com/videos/ngbc/loketest-kinglion.wmv

Stephane
01-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Surprise surprise. Same videos, now in Windows Media flavour. Less size, same quality

Hotaru vid (2.93 mb - 59secs)
http://www.neogeopro.com/videos/ngbc/loketest-hotaru.wmv

King lion vid (1.86 mb - 37secs)
http://www.neogeopro.com/videos/ngbc/loketest-kinglion.wmv

cool now i can watch the video, King Lion seem a nice and beautiful character and well animated !

SouthtownKid
01-24-2005, 03:32 PM
i'll try to encode them in windows media, just in case someone have problems. Also windows media can provide smaller file sizecool for other people I guess, but if any new videos come, please also host them as .avi as you did at first, so I can see them... Thanks again for having hosted these!

Setsuna1982
01-24-2005, 03:36 PM
cool for other people I guess, but if any new videos come, please also host them as .avi as you did at first, so I can see them... Thanks again for having hosted these!

i usually use .avi for "hi-quality version" and wmv for "low-quality"

jeff bogard
01-24-2005, 03:45 PM
thanx to both setsuna, and beezle for the amazing video.

The gameplay looks interesting, I'm pretty sure it will be unbalanced as a final copy just for the amount of characters available.

Seijuro Hiko
01-24-2005, 03:55 PM
nice vids!
Thanks Beelz, exile and Setsuna! :buttrock:

Shito
01-24-2005, 03:55 PM
WH Dio = Raihosha Baoh

Fact.

http://wolf.fang.or.jp/ueba/baoh.jpg

Blue Steel
01-24-2005, 04:11 PM
The .wmv files seem to lose some of the color. But if you can't view .avi then I guess that's your only option if you want to see the vids. I think King Lion is a beast, he's got a punch that looks like Maxima's. I'm so jealous of beelze and exile. The soonest I might get to play this is Summer, so I guess that's not so bad. Thanks again for the news and the vids guys!

SouthtownKid
01-24-2005, 05:03 PM
WH Dio = Raihosha Baoh

Fact.Yep, and Benimaru = Polnareff from the same artist, Hirohiko Araki. Great comics.

talks2wall
01-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Hey beelzebubble, is it too early to ask about the character balance? Are some characters really powerful and being used by everyone? There are some negative comments about Cyber Woo and Chonshu, but is anyone taking the time to experiment with them? I'm most interested in how Marco, Cyber Woo and the Jin brothers fit in. Thanks.

NeoGML
01-24-2005, 06:11 PM
beelze,

if you please, could you check out my post on page six? It's the last one on the page.

Thanks.

OrochiEddie
01-24-2005, 07:04 PM
i think the sprites are now beyond Neo geo quality from those vids. They have lighting on them and frame ups too. Also the zooming in and out is amazing. SNK used the new power to get some more oompf into their game. I think this game will be stellar.

Im looking for a orochi video and i really want to see marco in action too please

beelzebubble
01-24-2005, 07:39 PM
beelze,

if you please, could you check out my post on page six? It's the last one on the page.

Thanks.

all the sprites have some sort of touching up, kim more so than k id say. k might not be touched up at all though and just his 2k3 self though im pretty hes had something tweaked a little.

i fear ppl who dont like the new style faces that look more animeish and less well defined are not gonna like the faces in this game as pretty much every character looks like that now. again it is related to the low rez sprites againt he hi rez bgs that makes the rez look so blurry...

DevilRedeemed
01-24-2005, 07:47 PM
i think the sprites are now beyond Neo geo quality from those vids. They have lighting on them and frame ups too. Also the zooming in and out is amazing. SNK used the new power to get some more oompf into their game. I think this game will be stellar.

Im looking for a orochi video and i really want to see marco in action too please

mmmh.. I'm not so sure at all. those videos are great but still blurry. MotW/RB2/AOF3/LB showed what the neo geo was capable of doing.
and if atomiswave is basically a dreamcast with more memory, then in theory it should be able to pull off SFIII quality grafix.
not that I'm complaining but just trying to keep things in perspective.

Spike Spiegel
01-24-2005, 07:55 PM
I think, regarding K being redone, that his 2k3 look is great. Badass. Doesn't really need to be changed. I do like the vids, and the animation seems to be good (something I was afraid of, thanks to Guilty Gear X having great graphics, but shitty animation).

I enjoy what I see so far. I can't wait to get more vids/info on this. Honestly, I really want to play this. Tung in the house!

Spike

wizkid007
01-24-2005, 08:52 PM
I have been following this thread for a while now and I have to say after seeing the videos the game does look promising... And SNK is now headed in the right direction after alot of trial and error, I really hope they take in large amounts of feedback after the testing phase here and maybe even offer another one, I mean to really understand the mechanics of what makes a good fun game they need to play it through and through, Im sure the new employees dont play them but after having the source code all this time they have to understand at least something. I start a new job next month and once i see more of the game i may pick up a atomiswave setup. I just hope shawn gets his act together with the site. since he isnt returning emails and such... i hope he isnt flunking out on the community since sales have probably died on him.

Anyways there is a few peoples opinions that i look for on these boards that include beezel, southtownkid among a few other well informed people that have been around longer that i have. Which usually offer well grounded info with a large foundation of knowledge.. keep up the good work guys. :)

Shito
01-24-2005, 09:13 PM
Yep, and Benimaru = Polnareff from the same artist, Hirohiko Araki. Great comics.

More than polnareff, benimaru is Smith Toren from Top wo Nerae! of Gainax fame. You can calrely see quite a lot of Beni's move names are derived from GunBuster's attacks [Super Inazuma Kick, Buster Koreda. etc]. :)

SNKJorge
01-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the vid guys.

kafuin_gaira
01-24-2005, 11:37 PM
how much feedback does sammy/snkp/whoever get on these loke tests?

something i've been curious about but just didn't know.
do they have any representatives there to get people's opinions on the game?
i assume if someone is there preventing easy photo/vid taking, they are also there in the capacity of listening to those who are testing the game?

whether or not they act on any responses is another issue, but please enlighten.

Amano Jacu
01-25-2005, 01:41 AM
mmmh.. I'm not so sure at all. those videos are great but still blurry. MotW/RB2/AOF3/LB showed what the neo geo was capable of doing.
and if atomiswave is basically a dreamcast with more memory, then in theory it should be able to pull off SFIII quality grafix.
not that I'm complaining but just trying to keep things in perspective.

Well, I hope the blurryness of the videos are due to the camera and the condition of the filming...

This game looks really great so far, I can't wait to be able to play it :)

Kairi
01-25-2005, 02:23 AM
Ditto on that. I have NOT been disapointed at any time during the making of this game. I was one of the blasphemed who actually liked SvC:C. I mean, gee, it didnt have the effect of being groundbreaking like SF2, but it was fun for a minute. ANd SNKP put fourth more effort than Capcom does with their games. Haha.

honeyman
01-25-2005, 06:15 AM
NIce to read of so many views here on this board. It's also nice to see some (ninja) vids of the game in action too. Now if only we could magic a cab into England then that would be the deal complete!

Anyway, do you know when they're releasing this in the Japanese arcades beelzebubble?

DevilRedeemed
01-25-2005, 07:33 AM
Well, I hope the blurryness of the videos are due to the camera and the condition of the filming...

I'm sure it is a video issue.

beelzebubble
01-25-2005, 07:39 AM
about testing, the svc test and this one (which finished yesterday btw) had only one method of feedback and that is the questionnaires. they have a fair amount of space on them for feedback and they may take the loke version and work on it using questionnaire feedback im not sure. for the first two days or so there were always 2 staff watching what was happening, yesterday however there were no snkp staff on hand.

at the neowave test however they seemed to actually consult top players on what they thought of the game during the loke period, the cfj test they seemed to take the game away at the end of a certain amount of time and bring it back for the next day of the test with the new changes in effect. for all i know they could have done that with svc, 2k3 or this game and the changes be so subtle i just didnt notice (though timer and damage settings definitely change day to day or even hour to hour at pretty much all the tests).

about release date, none announced yet though i predict an early to mid march one, i expect itll be narrowed down to a month in this saturdays arcadia (hopefully) and i expect another loke possibly at chateau ex at kyoubashi in the coming weeks. athena and mars ppl announced as the final 2 normal characters this thursday.

DevilRedeemed
01-25-2005, 09:36 AM
about testing, the svc test and this one (which finished yesterday btw) had only one method of feedback and that is the questionnaires. they have a fair amount of space on them for feedback and they may take the loke version and work on it using questionnaire feedback im not sure. for the first two days or so there were always 2 staff watching what was happening, yesterday however there were no snkp staff on hand.

at the neowave test however they seemed to actually consult top players on what they thought of the game during the loke period, the cfj test they seemed to take the game away at the end of a certain amount of time and bring it back for the next day of the test with the new changes in effect. for all i know they could have done that with svc, 2k3 or this game and the changes be so subtle i just didnt notice (though timer and damage settings definitely change day to day or even hour to hour at pretty much all the tests).

about release date, none announced yet though i predict an early to mid march one, i expect itll be narrowed down to a month in this saturdays arcadia (hopefully) and i expect another loke possibly at chateau ex at kyoubashi in the coming weeks. athena and mars ppl announced as the final 2 normal characters this thursday.

so do you actually like this game/enjoy it so far? does it seem fun?

beelzebubble
01-25-2005, 09:37 AM
ok yesterdays written report.

character colors :

-geese red hair, yellow pants and black top (B button iirc)
-tung black and grey outfit (B button iirc)
-moriya black hair, black cloak, white shirt and dark eyes.
-purple pants and vest, beige shirt and blue haired kaede.
-iori, all black, dark purple vest and white hair.
-LK geese dark purple pants geese purple shirt and white hair with tanned skin.
-kogyaru kisarah (died blonde hair and dark skin) lol
-all white with red detail asura.

moves :

-terry has no rising tackle it would seem, hes got his fb, qcb+P, cant cancel off c.HK (oh no!!!!!!!!), qcb+K move, power dunk is move effective and cooler looking now (dp+K). rock style fbx2+K super + standard power geyser super.
-geese has throw super 360+P
-wall jump HK into c.LP seemingly able to be comboed (cool!)
-f+C is overhead for tung, its his s.C from rb2 (much slower now though useful as an overhead).
-1/5 or so block damage on tungs lvl 3 super (his new beam one) hcfx2+P.
-hcbx2+P is hanzos air super (ninja slash thingy from whp).
-asura is ss style (3 slashes + kick).
-mr big has an overhead f+B (he beats you down with his sticks).
-chonshu teleport seems better fb is still slow though.
-tungs j.D crosses up.
-fuuma has an overhead hit where he charges (3/4 of a screen or so with heavy version) and slashes with a knife (it has a purple flame on the edge), works as an overhead and launches with the hvy version (though i couldnt juggle a d assault off the launcher you might be able to dp after it in the corner for a juggle).
-athena shoots arrows which she can do in the air or on the ground, arcs like an ingrid fb. her dp she slaps with a fish tail on the way up.
-chonrei rush super (new), he does his s.LP with pink shadows and if it hits he ranbus you, cool. also has a qcb+P that seems to be some sort of charge up move, electricity type sound and he shakes/vibrates.. didnt work as a reversal.
-terry has a new move (fb+K) which makes him run (this is where the run i saw came from, akari also has it, you do the move run them attack from it... akari does lb style push back kicks from it terry does his rb2 dashing overhead kick from it (all the other buttons except B do nothing)). doesnt seem comboable (i was hoping to do c.HK into the move for a nice mix up but no luck.
-robert seems to have a front kick move where his foot glows as it does when he does his dp, not sure if its a special or a normal.

misc + system :

-no C+D kof counter, rather E button while blocking hits for pixels of damage then tags your second character in while the opponent is on their ass.
-in hyper charge you seem to take less damage as well as deal more.
-intro artwork is cool, very bright and colorful done in an anime style sorta like evangelion or something.. intro is quite long at something like 20 secs though it has little in the way of animation, does look good though imo. the character select artwork is the stuff from the website and the post fight stuff is different again... three artists used for ingame it would seem (maybe 4 as i didnt look closely at cut scenes).

beelzebubble
01-25-2005, 09:40 AM
so do you actually like this game/enjoy it so far? does it seem fun?

fun yes very much so... im addicted to it and wanted to hit the loke again tomorrow except its over.

worried about the systems being implemented, yep. lets hope some work goes into tweaking it.

DevilRedeemed
01-25-2005, 09:58 AM
fun yes very much so... im addicted to it and wanted to hit the loke again tomorrow except its over.

worried about the systems being implemented, yep. lets hope some work goes into tweaking it.

sounds very promising then, thanks a mil for the info.
SNKP has to listen to concerns from players if it wants to make the killer game everybody respects. its seriously important.

beelzebubble
01-25-2005, 07:23 PM
just rang snkp and was told they havent decided the date for the next loke yet (i imagine they are working on tweaking at this point) which seems to indicate that there will be another loke test :)

wizkid007
01-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Man they should bring in some seasoned players to test the thing at SNK itself..

that way they get the direct feedback they need.

Blue Steel
01-25-2005, 09:08 PM
Man they should bring in some seasoned players to test the thing at SNK itself..

that way they get the direct feedback they need.
That's what Loke tests are for.

wizkid007
01-25-2005, 09:55 PM
yeah i know... thats why i said seasoned players..

All they offered was questionaires.. alot of time was wasted by people just trying the game.. not actually people who understand the foundations of the game where they can offer feedback in depth... its really all about playability and balance.

Blue Steel
01-25-2005, 10:00 PM
yeah i know... thats why i said seasoned players..

All they offered was questionaires.. alot of time was wasted by people just trying the game.. not actually people who understand the foundations of the game where they can offer feedback in depth... its really all about playability and balance.
This was in Osaka...beelze was there, I'm sure other people in the 'know' were there as well.

daybona
01-26-2005, 04:50 AM
This was in Osaka...beelze was there, I'm sure other people in the 'know' were there as well.

I was in Shin Osaka today. Too think, I missed the loke test by a day. Damn!

Oh well, at least I got some sweet deals in Akiba and Den Den.

Thanks Tsuka and Beelze!

Kinniku
01-26-2005, 08:22 AM
More than polnareff, benimaru is Smith Toren from Top wo Nerae! of Gainax fame. You can calrely see quite a lot of Beni's move names are derived from GunBuster's attacks [Super Inazuma Kick, Buster Koreda. etc]. :)

Benimaru also have attacks of Hariken Polymar. "Hissatsu! Shinkuu Katate Goma!/Nandou Sandan Geri!"

Shito
01-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Benimaru also have attacks of Hariken Polymar. "Hissatsu! Shinkuu Katate Goma!/Nandou Sandan Geri!"

Cool! Not being into Tatsunoko stuff I really missed the Hurrican Polymer puns!

SouthtownKid
01-26-2005, 10:23 PM
I am into Tatsunoko stuff, and I missed it anyway...

kernow
01-27-2005, 03:56 AM

I must be confused, as I think both of those have hops.

k'_127
01-27-2005, 06:31 AM
I must be confused, as I think both of those have hops.

I meant hops as in KOF. or small jumps, as some ppl call them.

(where is the spock)

jeff bogard
01-27-2005, 09:32 AM
can anybody translate the Q & A section of the NGBC page?

beelzebubble
01-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Q+A

1. tell us about warez, whos the boss, what type of ppl work there... is it the bosses of snkp... etc etc..

answer : not much is known about warez... blah blah... the boss of warez will be revealed in the near future.

2. what age group is the game aimed at?

answer : special system in this game, beat as many as 10 teams or only three and either way youll get to fight a boss, this game is designed to be enjoyable to both new players and old ones (experienced ones).

3. robert has new clothes, what game are they from?

answer : they are from nbc :)

4. any special interactions ala svc (which were cool):

answer : well no svc style but there will be stuff in there between characters who have relationships in previous games that will keep the fans happy.

finally there is a note at the bottom thanking those who attended the tests and saying that info gathered at the tests is muchly appreciated and being used to improve the game as we speak.

quick and dirty translation.

Orpheus
01-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Says the guy with an avatar such as yours? LOL, you skinny fag.

The avatar is tops, it always has been.
The one wit the lame comeback is YOU.
It's not like it's a bad or anything, but face it man: you are all about the cock. Just look at what you posted in this thread (let alone other threads of yours. Your sound like a raging queen.

Oh, sorry to derail BTW. WOO HOO for NGBC.

k'_127
01-28-2005, 12:14 AM
new artworks for Hanzo, Fuma, Mudman and Kisara were added at the official site (snkplaymore.co.jp)

k'_127
01-29-2005, 02:38 AM
Beelze, I watched the 2 videos and noticed that the jump range was slighty improved over SvC. now they feel more like SFIII jumps.

is this true? what do you think?

snesaes
01-29-2005, 08:10 AM
Now that the location tests have started, and Beezle's feeding us information, I get to be excited again! I'll admit that SvC wasn't really that great, and when I heard people comparing NBC to it, it made me somewhat depressed. However, from what I've read, it looks to be great! Nice work Beezle!

beelzebubble
01-29-2005, 12:40 PM
nothing new in todays arcadia. full pics of marco, fuuma, hanzou and a few others plus new screenshots and impressions from ppl who attended the loke only. release date still listed as "in 2005".

jeff bogard
01-29-2005, 03:31 PM
Thanx a lot Beezle!!!!

fatal fury fan #2
01-29-2005, 04:34 PM
was there a touch up or redawn of gesse from SvC???

01-29-2005, 05:39 PM
was there a touch up or redawn of gesse from SvC???

good question

poor geese... :(

newhere
02-01-2005, 05:10 AM
hi first of all i really want to thank beezle.Im from turkey and its hard to get 2d fighting informations from turkish game community( at least i dont know any source :blow_top: ) and its really good to see this informations vids pics from these forums and thank beezle and his friends.thanks from turkey.and beezle look like you know japanese could you translate story/premium gallery please,if you have any freetime.thanks so much for your sharings.:glee:
by the way extra thanks for hotaru loke tset vid and king lion one.hope to see more.:drool_2:

Amano Jacu
02-01-2005, 05:25 AM
hi first of all i really want to thank beezle.Im from turkey and its hard to get 2d fighting informations from turkish game community( at least i dont know any source :blow_top: ) and its really good to see this informations vids pics from these forums and thank beezle and his friends.thanks from turkey.and beezle look like you know japanese could you translate story/premium gallery please,if you have any freetime.thanks so much for your sharings.:glee:
by the way extra thanks for hotaru loke tset vid and king lion one.hope to see more.:drool_2:

Beelze already translated the story in a previous post, now use some of your freetime to search for it. Oh, and welcome to the boards :).

beelzebubble
02-01-2005, 07:19 AM

im a bit lazy about translating the stories at the moment...

maybe bokmeow, gmw, dash no chris, tsuka or some of the other japanese speakers will lend a hand.....:)

barf
02-01-2005, 07:31 AM
im a bit lazy about translating the stories at the moment...

maybe bokmeow, gmw, dash no chris, tsuka or some of the other japanese speakers will lend a hand.....:)

ara ara, namakemono :P

Amano Jacu
02-01-2005, 07:34 AM

Meh, I used some of my free time and searched for it myself:

new japan february 2017.

as we tried to make the illustrious neogeo world our own one man was putting his dangerous plan into effect.

"i will topple neogeo's most powerful warriors and put myself on it's (neogeo's) throne!"

we knew that if he managed to obtain neogeo land's awesome power world domination would not be far from his reach.
this man, who sat at the heart of "the warez conglomerate" with overwhelming financial power behind him had already set
out on his ambitious path to gain neogeo world's power and those who knew the truth of his intentions were already
trembling with fear.

as neogeo world drew closer to the verge of disaster a warez sponsored fighting competition was announced.

it's name was "battle colosseum".

the federal government, worried about the situation secretly dispatched two agents, yuki and ai.

a world on the verge of eternal darkness.
and it's fate was in the hands of the combatants gathering at the site of the tournament.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107302

beelzebubble
02-01-2005, 07:47 AM
ara ara, namakemono :P

and maybe pinkpeach could help as well, his japanese is better than mine and i think hes barfhappy :)

barf
02-01-2005, 12:21 PM
beelze, usotsuki ;)

anyway, i am lazy too... however here goes nakoruru's one.

The nature-destructive expension of Warez is escalating to an unstopable level.

mercylessly they cut woods, polute water and throws radioactive matter. From their blazingly fast expension area they eradicate animal forms, malformed corpses raising on the surface of the soiled rivers.

Mother nature... is crying

from a far northern land, trees and birds cry for help

The shrine maiden of Ainu, Nakoruru, touched by the cry for help, thought as the sun was growing

"hold on, i m coming"

Dawn. This year for the first time, the wind blows from the South.
Spring arrives faster than usual to Nakoruru's camp.

newhere
02-01-2005, 03:14 PM
thank you so much guys.i really preciate your sharings.i would be happier if you translate other characters story as well.if you have done it already please send links thank i want to learn japanese but no course in my city right now. :crying:

arigato (i hope i spell correctly)and "herkese teşekkürler" in my own language. :)

Amano Jacu
02-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Use search, the first time I did it for you but not again (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/search.php?)

beelzebubble
02-03-2005, 07:20 AM
quick dirty and lazy translation of this times q+a:

1. when i read the setting was neogeo land i laughed, does the neogeoland in the story have a bowling alley (lol). do normal ppl live there as well or only characters from the games... im a bit worried about the setting please explain it a bit more to me.

ANSWER : well think of the world the characters live in as a world parallel to our own with just a few subtle differences, so yeah they have bowling alleys there too, lol.

2. i really like brian and he's in one of the bgs, tell me what hes been up to recently if you wouldnt mind, is he on his computer?

ANSWER : well the whole sports team are collecting info about the next KOF in the event they enter it, and brian being an american football player is on his computer quite often making diagrams for his teams plays on the computer.

3. whos doing the voices?

ANSWER : voice list... tada!

bloodriot
02-03-2005, 09:04 AM
beez I just want to clarify the following statements:

gfcs is in there but it's been modified to the point of being useless

and the jumps are better in a SF3TS way but still not kof type jumps

beelzebubble
02-03-2005, 09:36 AM
beez I just want to clarify the following statements:

gfcs is in there but it's been modified to the point of being useless

and the jumps are better in a SF3TS way but still not kof type jumps

gcfs seemed good/effective as i said a few pages back, i hope it gets nerfed. seems from what myself and exile tried that you could gcfs out of block (for about 1/6 of a bar) and then hit the exposed opponent with a LP/LK->D-Assault which does big damage for only 1/6 of a bar in addition to be easy as hell to pull off.

the screen size when fully zoomed out is considerably bigger than KOF but i would liken the jumps more to a ff or svc jump than a kof one (less depth and more height style).

hope that clears it up (all taken from my recollection of course).

bloodriot
02-03-2005, 09:53 AM
gcfs seemed good/effective as i said a few pages back, i hope it gets nerfed. seems from what myself and exile tried that you could gcfs out of block (for about 1/6 of a bar) and then hit the exposed opponent with a LP/LK->D-Assault which does big damage for only 1/6 of a bar in addition to be easy as hell to pull off.

the screen size when fully zoomed out is considerably bigger than KOF but i would liken the jumps more to a ff or svc jump than a kof one (less depth and more height style).

hope that clears it up (all taken from my recollection of course).

OH NOES!? to GCFS info eh well lets just hope for the best :spock:
Thanks for clearing that up.

exile
02-04-2005, 05:16 AM
the gcfs itself seems to recover a little slow so doing it into throws isn't really an option, but you can cancel the step into any special or normal moves. so you can basically cancel blockstun with it if you're fast on the inputs. we didn't see anyone using it very effectively but i'm pretty sure it would be a major focus of the gameplay if left the way it is.

beelzebubble
02-04-2005, 07:04 AM
latest news:

i picked up todays famitsu and it seems that ATOMIC GUY from kotm is in the game in some capacity, it may be as a character in someones intro, he may be a hidden character, he might even be a boss. the article says that for now what his role in the game is is a secret but they did say he isnt a default character.

beelzebubble
02-05-2005, 07:25 AM
heres a pic from famitsu (taken on a crappy phone camera) of atomic guy.

cant upload... gives me errors....

anyone got about 43kb of space to spare.

Amano Jacu
02-05-2005, 07:44 AM
I'll host it at lycos if you e-mail it to me.

beelzebubble
02-05-2005, 08:19 AM
I'll host it at lycos if you e-mail it to me.

i just mailed it to this [amanojacu@terra.es] address.

look out for a mail from [spankytown@yahoo.com.au]

thanks mate!

Amano Jacu
02-05-2005, 08:46 AM
http://members.lycos.co.uk/amanojacu/a.bmp

DevilRedeemed
02-05-2005, 08:49 AM

thank you guys! that's really cool, stance seems true to form but weird. the fact that these guys are ment to be giants makes their inclusion quite unconfortable for me at this point.
just hoping Elta is in there somewhere

Dash no Chris
02-05-2005, 09:00 AM
the fact that these guys are ment to be giants makes their inclusion quite unconfortable for me at this point.
I dunno. I like what they've done with CYBER-W00 (storywise) in order to justify his smaller size. I always saw Atomic Guy as an homage to Ultraman -- who every so often would assume a smaller, human size (I seem to remember Ultra Seven doing this more frequently than his other brethren) -- so the basic idea of a non-giant Astro Guy doesn't bug me too much. I'm curious to see if there's an explanation for AG's change of scale in NGBC, tho'.

--Chris

k'_127
02-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Beelze = famous

http://www.planetdreamcast.com/orochinagi/cyberfan/main.htm

DevilRedeemed
02-05-2005, 10:13 AM
I dunno. I like what they've done with CYBER-W00 (storywise) in order to justify his smaller size. I always saw Atomic Guy as an homage to Ultraman -- who every so often would assume a smaller, human size (I seem to remember Ultra Seven doing this more frequently than his other brethren) -- so the basic idea of a non-giant Astro Guy doesn't bug me too much. I'm curious to see if there's an explanation for AG's change of scale in NGBC, tho'.

--Chris

Atomic Guy works for me to an extent especially because he looks alot like sonic blast man, who's various games I have always thought where excellent (the punching games as much as the side scrollers). I don't like what they done with cyber-woo and the little passenger on the back.

fatal fury fan #2
02-05-2005, 12:46 PM
NEW NBC Museum:MOTW

Yamazaki_RJ
02-05-2005, 08:37 PM
just hoping Elta is in there somewhere

Just can't understand how Elta, NAM-75 and Baseball Stars didn't showed up. Being the first three games of the Neo, the games deserve more attention. I think Elta could be a amazing boss or a great character.

With Atomic Guy showing just now, maybe Elta can be in the game too...?

PS: I know the Baseball Stars attack of Ai, but it's not enough, a stage maybe, and for NAM-75 too. They made a stage for shooters...

Freelancer
02-05-2005, 08:56 PM

Sweet!
I've been reading about this game in the December 2004 issue of Arcadia I managed to get my hands on. The spread on NGBC they have in that issue is excellent. I'm getting more and more hyped for this game with each news item that surfaces!

exile
02-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Beelze = famous

http://www.planetdreamcast.com/oroc...berfan/main.htm

looking at the bottom of that page

Two exclusive videos of NeoGeo Battle Coliseum videos taken from the Beta testing of the game.

NeoGeo Battle Coliseum - King Lion [Beta Test] (5.9 MB)

NeoGeo Battle Coliseum - Hotaru [Beta Test] (17.5 MB)

Special thanks to Beezlebubble and Exile for getting us the videos.

um, doesn't exclusive mean that no one else has it? :rolleyes:

beelzebubble
02-06-2005, 09:40 AM
reading the latest famitsu's write up of nbc got me interested in the gameplay specifics so...........

the super bar

the full bar is comprised of three smaller bars. it fills up the same way most super bars do (dealing and taking damage, using specials and iirc from using normals as well, possibly only heavies) and is depleted by numerous ways like :

1. TACTICAL STEP, done by pushing A+B about consumed about 1/2 of one bar (aka 1/6 of the whole thing).

2. COUNTER TAG, done by pushing E (the tag button) while guarding does this does a KOF style C+D counter move that tags your partner in as the opponent is flying through the air. definitely depletes super bar but cant remember how much.

3. level one super, uses one bar (1/3 of the full bar).

4. level three super, uses the whole super bar (three of the sub bars).

5. GUARD STEP, done by pushing f->f during guard, seems to consume the same amount as a tactical step.

at this point the tactical step doesnt seem to cost enough bar and the guard step doesnt cost near enough bar imo.

tactical step is like roll except for one major difference, it seemed to be cancellable at any point during its animation as opposed to a roll which which means you can cancel it into a normal, special, throw, etc at any time during the animation. this means tactical stepping could be used to get you through any big attack to then be able to land a hit or combo. this punishes offence and can kill a poke game.

guard step is similar to tactical step only it lets you do just what ppl were doing in svc, playing super turtle when they had lots of bar then just stepping through any attacks used on them to land guaranteed damage nice and easily.

both of these things could turn the game into a turtle/play safe game with little or no poking and ppl stepping into c.LK/LP->D-Assault all day.. not very fun imo.

the other systems

1. HYPER CHARGE, seems like an interesting idea but to be honest i dont know that it has been implemented very well. basically you get hyper charged by leaving one character in the background for a certain amount of time, i can see how they want to reward you for fighting well enough to be able to keep one character tagged out but it seems unfair that when you tag out your character who has a pixel or so of real health left but a 90% or so health bar shadow which will then fill up in half a minute or so the fresh character will jump in and be hyper charged which means they do more damage, potentially take less and move faster. basically having hyper charge causes the battles to be really one sided, i saw it happen heaps of times at the loke test. example, my mate fights some other guy, the japanese guy manages to take out my mates first character and as he does he tags out his first character (who has like a 90% health bar shadow), his 2nd character jumps in and as his first character is healing up in the background he goes ballistic on my mates remaining character with a charged up character who does at least more damage....

seems to me hyper charge should happen when one of your characters dies giving the losing side a chance to make a comeback... either that or it should just be taken out.

2. AUTO CHARGE, this seems to happen after a given amount of time has passed, your super bar automatically powers up to maximum in about 5 seconds or so. to be honest i dont know what purpose it serves though it may be to encourage offensive play, if thats the case it seems strange that this bar will let you do more tactical stepping and guard stepping neither of which strike me as particularly offensive. according to famitsu doing a D-Assault will reset the auto charge timer meaning it will not happen for a longer time or even stop as its happening.

3. D-ASSAULT, this is a good idea and lends itself well to a tag battle game, it's basically a tag team attack that acts like a ryo ranbu attack that does considerable real damage as well as considerably shortening/cutting the health bar shadow. great idea except for a couple of flaws when i saw it being used at the loke (and used it myself), firstly its insanely easy to combo (easy off a c.LK/LP) considering the big damage it does, secondly it costs no bar, theres a light which flashes to indicate you can use it and it didnt seem to take long before the bar lit up (you could prolly use it 5+ time during one game which is 180 real seconds) and lastly it does real damage as well as shadow damage so its incredibly effective.

yeah so D-Assault should basically only do shadow damage on top of costing super bar imo.

what id do to the system

1. give HYPER CHARGE to the person losing not the one winning, either that or kill it completely.
2. make D-ASSAULT do only shadow damage as well as make it cost 1 bar.
3. make TACTICAL STEP cost 1 bar.
4. take out GUARD STEP.
5. take out AUTO CHARGE or make it kick in for both sides when one character dies or there's only 60 seconds left (or some other condition that would promote more offensive play).

EDIT : dorimaga now has a new column/section which they are likening to neogeo freak. the one in the latest dorimaga is two pages and has a brief fatal fury history with info on the various games, a time line and the like. it also has stuff on kof94 rebout. apparently the column is going to include the latest news as well as stuff about, past games.

Yamazaki_RJ
02-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Damn... The game will be a defensive, boring nightmare as it is. :annoyed:

I really want to believe SNKP will change the concept of the systems. Can't imagine a game like NGBC turning into a SvC: Chaos 2 crap. :(

remukhan
02-06-2005, 02:40 PM
um, doesn't exclusive mean that no one else has it? :rolleyes:

Exile,

Just to clear it up.

Beelzebubble gave the video exclusively to us, when the news was posted. Until Setsuna1982 was kind enough to upload it on neogeopro.com for the people having problem downloading from Fileplanet.

I believe, the video is still exclusive to Cyberfanatics and neogeopro.com :)

SouthtownKid
02-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Nothing gets the blood pumping like a good semantics debate.

exile
02-07-2005, 03:25 AM
Beelzebubble gave the video exclusively to us, when the news was posted. Until Setsuna1982 was kind enough to upload it on neogeopro.com for the people having problem downloading from Fileplanet.

yeh fair enough. i usually think of 'exclusive' as meaning there is some kind of deal preventing anyone else from hosting it. semantics though...

02-07-2005, 03:49 AM
new screenshots added

finally the jealousy bomber
kisarah kisses joe from gangan!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/antifascismo/kisarah.bmp

anyway , who is that guy (left)? maybe kamui from ninjamasters? it reminds me strider's bro xD
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/antifascismo/ein.bmp

SouthtownKid
02-07-2005, 03:55 AM
anyway , who is that guy (left)? maybe kamui from ninjamasters? it reminds me strider's bro xD
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/antifascismo/ein.bmpIf you mean that guy in the Hanzo/Fuuma shot, facing the other way, I think that's Eiji. But it's a small shot so I'm not sure.

k'_127
02-07-2005, 05:02 AM
that's Eiji, I've seen him standing there in another shot.

thanks for the photos, nazi.

and thanks for the gameplay details, Beelze.