WARNING! A quite clever PayPal scam try?

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
This is some kind of mail I got today from

"update@paypal.com"

Security Center Advisory!

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your PayPal account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to belive that your account was hijacked by a third party without your authorization. If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by you.

If you are the rightful holder of the account you must click the link below and then complete all steps from the following page as we try to verify your identity.

[Click here to verify your account]

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choise but to temporaly suspend your account.

Thank you for using PayPal! The PayPal Team

Ok, now the mail html layout was PERFECTLY matching the real PayPal... also, the actual case they reported me make sense at all, as I've been recently out for a month long an possibly used my PP account from some inet cafes.

BUT

the link provided is heading to the following page:

www.anders-larsenconsulting.com/~nicholas/paypal/login.htlm

sounded pretty odd to me.
I not even followed the link.

Then I logged in my PayPal account, if anything was occuring my account page was supposed to report me about it as well, but everything was nomal...

BE CAREFUL GUYS!!!

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
If I remember correctly Paypal (and eBay for that mater) never requests users to click on a link to go to Paypal.

I usually log into paypal by typing in the URL.

Edit: To be honest, I don't even think Paypal would shut off your account if "foreign" IP addresses access it. There are too many variables (proxy servers, etc) that might account for a change in IP to even another country.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
My account was hacked last summer. Be careful, always check your account once in a while for odd transactions. I was lucky that Paypal gave me the money back. They never address you by your name in e-mails.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
td741 said:
Edit: To be honest, I don't even think Paypal would shut off your account if "foreign" IP addresses access it. There are too many variables (proxy servers, etc) that might account for a change in IP to even another country.

Yeah, and plus I'm on a dial-up thus there's no way I would ever get anything like a static IP or something...

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
you leave us no choise but to temporaly

It's funny that they go through all the trouble of replicating html but don't bother to spell things properly.

Lord of Magic

Overtop Pathfinder
I get this crap all the time, some more convincing than others.

Never click links on any email from anyone.

Visit sites by typing the URL in your browser.

You know the rest, virus scanners, firewall, spyware removers...blah blah blah.

MyulChi

Goal! Goal! Goal!
Damn those scamers! I got one of the scam email about 3 weeks ago and I thought it was from real paypal because the address was ending with paypal.com
So I clicked on it but the links didn't work. Few days ago I found out my account was in "limited function" where I can only receive money. Now Im waiting for a mail with some kinda code sent out by paypal to verify my address. :blow_top:

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
Regardless if you've been had or not, give paypal a call and find out how they will actually contact you if there was a problem. It's better to know now than when money was stolen from your account. By the way, verify the banks listed on your account are yours. That's what they did to me. They opened a bank account in my paypal and used it. When paypal went looking for the money, there wasn't any to be found, so they charged my back-up funding source (credit card). I hope they nailed those bastards.

RichardDark

Overtop Pathfinder
Thx a lot for the info man :) I got this mail too. Dammed I wish to get those guys in my hands :blow_top: I hate those thiefs

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I get these all the time and I don't have Paypal... :mad:

I received that same email last night and tried to report it to Ebay(Spoof)...I had got the same one a few days ago and reported it and Ebay emailed me that it is a fake(I know that already)

What I do is press reply to the email itself to see where it's coming from.
Though it'll say from "update@paypal.com"..pressing reply leads me this email address desertlover.1@juno.com

TheLizardKing

Crossed Swords Squire
Yeah, they talk about this on the news a lot like CNN as a common tactic used by scammers. I think it was in one of their technology segments which means people should be aware of this by word of mouth. But yeah, I hate people like these, stealing your money without even having to show up. It just plain sucks. :blow_top: They'll probably do something to put a stop to it when it really gets serious and people are complaining through the roof about it.

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
It's a common "phishing" scam, I get 100's of them (literally) at work every week, and loads of them at home. They either claim to be from your bank, Ebay or Paypal, and aim to steal your personal details and also your login details for those sites. NEVER go to any link like this that comes through your email... in fact, a quick look at the link itself will always show you that it's fake.

Kaz

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
There's a good chance someone is trying to phish for your passwords, pins, tans, etc. By clicking the link, you will be transported to a server with lots of obscure pages and finally, you will be confronted with a fake PayPal login page, after a couple of attempts to log in, you will see a harmless error code or anything like that, but now the attackers have your user data, and probably more (cookies, stored keys, etc.).

Contact PayPal and send them the email you got, then let them check your account for possible abuse.

playboycougar

Reese. ,
Just remember, the URL when logging in to PayPal will always be preceded by 'https://'. 'S' is for secure hyper text transfer protocol.

In the times that I have reported spoof emails, Paypal's direct site reminds people that they always address their customers by their name.

I'd suggest everyone to keep reporting spoofs so that this sort of thing remains under control.

SHO

Raiden's Valet
Just follow 1 golden rule

never use the link in the email, always log on from the website

and you should be safe

yea i get these all the time, i think its mostly from ppl on ebay

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Cheers for the heads up guys. I'm quite new to PayPal so it's good to know what to watch out for.

Spike23

Ninja Combat Warrior
i've gotten these emails as well. i also received one from "Ebay" that wanted me to click on a link and fill out all of my information......from my name and address all the way down to my social security #. bullshit! so i reported it to them. haven't really gotten anything like that in a while.

the fake PayPal ones are another story. those fuckers usually hit every 3-4 weeks or so. NEVER give out your information, especially if you have doubts. it's not worth losing tons of cash, etc. over a retarded "update" to "save your account".

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
well, Paypal will always adress you by your full name.

My old man got fished this way, but realized an hour later that he probably got had. He called paypal and they told him to change his info. No Damage.

If my old man, a 52 year old car mechanic can figure out that this is bullshit, than everyone else should too.

R

RetroGaming2004

paypal

at least they arent freezing people's accounts with thousand of dollars in it anymore!

To "Shito"

"update@childprotection.com"

Security Center Advisory!

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log into a kiddie pr0n account from a this IP address and we have reasons to belive that your a sick fuck. If you recently left your pc while traveling, the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by the last person to use your pc.

If you are the rightful holder of the account you must click the link below and then complete all steps from the following page and your jail sentence will be reduced for co-operation.

[Click here to verify your account]

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to smash your sorry son a bitch paedo face in.

Fuck you. Child Protection Legue

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Just ignore all that sh8t until you find that you're forbidden to go through your normal activities online.
This happened to me with eBay.
I received an e-mail stating that I owed them some funds so I waited until my account was suspended. I made payment and my bidding priveleges were restored instantaneously.
-BB

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
This is one of the reasons I've almost abandoned email completely. AIM is much more free environment for me.