Pocket TV for MVSp

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
I am currently looking for a LCD Pocket TV Screen (and board) which is less than 5 inches, but more than 2.7 inches. I need a screen that will power off of 5 volts. I realize there probably isnt a TV in the world that will do this, but if someone would, sell me a modified TV to run off of 5 volts, well, i would just love them. Or, just give me a good step by step guide on how i can mod a tv to do so (this is Pocket TV hacking, isnt it?) and i would like to do it myself. I just need a good size screnn for my MVSp. Anyways, let me know, thanks!

CarlDMC

Tung's Hair,
Have you looked into those PSOne LCDs? They run off 5V and have standard PS/PS2 outputs.
I believe there was also an RGB hack as well.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
CarlDMC said:
Have you looked into those PSOne LCDs? They run off 5V and have standard PS/PS2 outputs.
This is what I'm thinking too. The only problem is support for 15 Hz. Anyone with any info for RGB and 15 Hz compatibility of LCD monitors?

CarlDMC

Tung's Hair,
Also T_Smallz has one for sale dirt cheap. $45 sealed. Has the built-in speakers too.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I thought I'd read somewhere that the Sony brand PSone monitors can be hacked for RGB. Google it maybe?

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
hey everyone, im sorry if my first pose was confusing. I actually intended to post it at Benheck.com, but i got lazy from trying to log in, so i copied and pasted it here.

Anyway, change of plans. Id like to up the voltage on the Neo Board itself.

5volts-->6volts

That way, i can use a 12volt battery, and a 6 volt battery pack to power the beast. Great help is appreciated guys. If this works, the whole voltage thing, this thing is going to kick ass! I never realized how small the Neo MV 1-B board is. I got one on the way soon from supergoose, and guys, this will rock, i promise you. I dropped my Consolization of my 1-c to create the ultimate handheld/portable, It will also be TV out and player 1 and 2 in capable.

Wait and see.

syringe

Banned
They can be hacked to support RGB umm you post at gamesx...yet you didn't notice how they're used in a ton of modding projects for this very reason. :eye: :eye:

D-Lite said:
This is what I'm thinking too. The only problem is support for 15 Hz. Anyone with any info for RGB and 15 Hz compatibility of LCD monitors?

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
CarlDMC said:

And by the way, doesnt PSone screen run 7.5 volts?

Thats what i thought at least.

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
Eh, im not doing any crazy RGB modding if I dont have to. ID just rather use a J-Rok 3.1 card, and from there, i can also provide TV out as well, in my original intentions. Unless, somone wants to mod one for me.

Again, something a little smaller than a PSone screen would be good. A little too big for my project, but if thats all i can get, then Ill take it.

CarlDMC

Tung's Hair,
You're on benheck also, eh? I'm working on an SNESp myself.
The forums are pretty small, but Im sure it'll grow. And a lot people there just have to get the last word in, no matter how pointless.

Just wondering why you would need 6V to the NEO?

The home system AC adapter outputs more than 5V, but it goes through the 7805 and you're stuck with 5V anyway. Actually most ICs run off +/-5V or 12V.

Just be sure to use the white LED trick to converse battery power.

I was thinking about an MVSp as well, but there was no way it would have been handheld.

Good luck on your project! :buttrock:

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
Hey Carl, glad to hear someone else has thought of an MVSp!

Am i really crazy for wanting to try it? I mean, i know NOT to much about converting voltages, and hacking PSU, but hey, that darn MVS1-B board is TINY!

Like i stated above, id house a NEO board, PSone Screen, Jrok 3.1 board, 2 joystick outs, and a small controller board inside some nice mahogany. I just am at a few cross roads:

I still have not found an answer about how to down the PSone screen from 7.5 volts to 5 volts.

Next, i need a small power supply that will support both 5 and 12 volt currents. Jameco, right? I was even thinking a spare DC PSU I have. Would that work? But, i also want to use an external Battery pack (im not going to bother with internal) but do they make 12 and 5 volt battery packs? If not, i guess I could get away with using two rechargable batteries (5 v and 12v)

I have to stress, im no where NEAR an expert at this, and this is my first attempt at anything like this. But it doesnt seem tooooo difficult. Id appreciate your help Carl once my project actually commences (so i dont kill myself doing it!

CarlDMC

Tung's Hair,
Have you seen Neo Geo LT ?

His contact info is on the last slide. He can probably answer a ton of questions.

As for the PSone LCD, I haven't seen one first-hand. But I think the 7.5V is the supply to the system. It immediately goes through the 7805 and 5V gets sent to the PSOne and to the LCD. So the LCD would actually be running off of 5V. But that's just a guess.

As for the JROK, I would only use it for output to a TV. I would use the RGB off the MVS board as the signal source for the LCD.

Also, I don't think the NEO needs 12V, so you could just buy a 5V PSU. And unless you plan to use batteries that will supply more than 5V, you don't need a 7805.

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
CarlDMC said:
Have you seen Neo Geo LT ?

His contact info is on the last slide. He can probably answer a ton of questions.

As for the PSone LCD, I haven't seen one first-hand. But I think the 7.5V is the supply to the system. It immediately goes through the 7805 and 5V gets sent to the PSOne and to the LCD. So the LCD would actually be running off of 5V. But that's just a guess.

As for the JROK, I would only use it for output to a TV. I would use the RGB off the MVS board as the signal source for the LCD.

Also, I don't think the NEO needs 12V, so you could just buy a 5V PSU. And unless you plan to use batteries that will supply more than 5V, you don't need a 7805.

Ive been hearing in several places that the NEO needs 12 volts to provide sound OUT, but curious as i am, ill hook the 12v pins from my NEO cab, and see what happens after work tonite. Ill let you know. :mr_t:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
The multislots, MV-1, MV-1F have op amps in the sound section/headphone circuit that work with 5v, either the same 5v as the rest of the board or converted from 12v through a 7805. Therefore it's possible to power these boards with just 5v and get sound off the headphone socket/connector. The remaining boards, MV-1A, MV-1B and MV-1FZ have a different op amp (C844G) that works with 12v so you can't possibly get sound off these boards with just 5v.

CarlDMC

Tung's Hair,
MKL said:
The multislots, MV-1, MV-1F have op amps in the sound section/headphone circuit that work with 5v, either the same 5v as the rest of the board or converted from 12v through a 7805. Therefore it's possible to power these boards with just 5v and get sound off the headphone socket/connector. The remaining boards, MV-1A, MV-1B and MV-1FZ have a different op amp (C844G) that works with 12v so you can't possibly get sound off these boards with just 5v.

Wow, I never knew. Great info!

So as for batteries, I guess Moose should go with a single 12V battery supply and a 7805.

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
CarlDMC said:
Wow, I never knew. Great info!

So as for batteries, I guess Moose should go with a single 12V battery supply and a 7805.

Alright, first, id like to know what EXACTLY a 7805 is. Ive heard it everywhere ive asked pertaining to my project.

And if i get a 12 volt baterry, and throw a 7805 onto the 5 volts, with that take 5v to 12v?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
The 7805 is a voltage regulator that converts into 5v a higher voltage (the input is fairly wide, like 7v-20v). However a 7805 does not output enough current for an entire board, not even for the small MV-1B. You'd need a more powerful regulator like a 2576 that outputs 5v up to 3A. In fact this is what the AES uses.

CarlDMC

Tung's Hair,
MKL said:
The 7805 is a voltage regulator that converts into 5v a higher voltage (the input is fairly wide, like 7v-20v). However a 7805 does not output enough current for an entire board, not even for the small MV-1B. You'd need a more powerful regulator like a 2576 that outputs 5v up to 3A. In fact this is what the AES uses.

Ah, yes. A 2576. It's been ages since I cracked open an AES.

With a 3A draw I wouldn't expect much battery life.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
I don't think we should even be talking battery life here. No way can you reasonably use batteries with an MVS board and the screen both. Max you can get would be about an hour or so. You've got to be drawing at least 2A with the board, encoder, and screen.

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
FatGuy said:
If you want portable gaming um.. you know. Laptop?

eh, no thanks. I use to be emulation man, but im slowly delving back into the expensive hobby of "playing the real thing"

Anyways, concerning battery life, not really a big deal for me. Im just looking to have the option in there, ill be playing on the recliner/car most of the time anyway, and dont forget, its going to be a console too.
But I was wondering, would it be possible to daisy chain 2 batteries together in connection, allowing both to be drained in unison, and through the AC in, be charged as well?

CarlDMC

Tung's Hair,
Moose said:
eh, no thanks. I use to be emulation man, but im slowly delving back into the expensive hobby of "playing the real thing"

Anyways, concerning battery life, not really a big deal for me. Im just looking to have the option in there, ill be playing on the recliner/car most of the time anyway, and dont forget, its going to be a console too.
But I was wondering, would it be possible to daisy chain 2 batteries together in connection, allowing both to be drained in unison, and through the AC in, be charged as well?

If you wire two 12V batteries in parallel, you will keep the voltage the same, but increase your current. I've been told not to do this by some people, not sure why not though.

And as for charging your battery while playing, I would guess it depends on the type of charger you have. I've had cell phone chargers that either charge your battery or allow you to use it. But that was back in the day....

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
eh, i hate those chargers.

Mine (hope/theoretically) would work much like the GBA SP, or DS battery, recharge, and still be able to function at the same time.