KOF 94 US Release Possible, SS5 Xbox

ericb

NEST Puppet
I emailed SNKP-USA last night, and I recieved a response this morning with some pretty good stuff. Here's my original email:

To Whomever This Concerns,

I'm an avid member of the thriving (yet niche) Neo Geo community, and
a proud owner of an AES, etc, and I'm just wondering if the US
division of SNKP has any plans to release King of Fighters 94 ReBout
on North American shores. Following information on the import PS2
version has made me quite jealous of the Japanese market, and I know
that a US/Canadian release would be greatly appreciated by the
community, given feedback on the Neo-Geo.com forums regarding the
Japanese release. It's great to see continued support for the series
through the KOF pack releases, as well as SVC and Metal Slug, but this
release is vacant from any domestic release info. Just wondering if
there are any plans.

Furthermore, I am interested whether or not we can expect a domestic
release of Samurai Shodown 5 on the PS2 or Xbox.

Again, thank you very much for your time, and continue the great work!

Sincerely,
Eric Buettner

~~~

And the response is as follows:

SNK answer man
<snkmail@snkplaymoreusa.com> to me
Show options 2:56am (5 hours ago)
Eric,

SS5 for Xbox in 2005 and we are discussing a Xbox KOF '94 as well.

Happy New Year.

www.SNKPLAYMOREUSA.com

~~~

Not too bad... from his response, it sounds as though SS5 is almost for certain going to be an Xbox release here (with live play, hopefully), and that KOF94 Rebout might actually make it out as well... The SS5 news is exciting because I'm a starving college kid and can't afford the home release (and I don't have an MVS). Good stuff... I'm keeping my fingers crossed here.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Here's to hoping its SSVS and not just 5

ericb

NEST Puppet
pixeljunkie said:
Here's to hoping its SSVS and not just 5

Yeah, I thought of that after I sent the email, and I don't want to bug them with a follow-up. I'm thinking that would be the case... I can't see any reason why they wouldn't. Then again, the JP PS2 release was not Special, was it? I don't have a mod or a J-PS2, so I'm not sure, but I seem to remember it just being the regular ol' SS5. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers, I guess...

Athlon64

Galford's Armourer
ericb said:
Yeah, I thought of that after I sent the email, and I don't want to bug them with a follow-up. I'm thinking that would be the case... I can't see any reason why they wouldn't. Then again, the JP PS2 release was not Special, was it? I don't have a mod or a J-PS2, so I'm not sure, but I seem to remember it just being the regular ol' SS5. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers, I guess...

Japanese PS2 release was just Zero and not Zero Special.

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
Hmm very interesting. Dio Brando was saying Ben Herman didn't want to release 94 here because he thinks the Year on the title would prevent sales. Good news indeed. Maybe they'll find a way to release a Neo Pad/Stick for the XBox.

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
Then they should just call it King of Fighters: ReBout.

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
Halox said:
Then they should just call it King of Fighters: ReBout.

That's a good idea. I was actually thinking they should wait for the KoF 95-99 Ports to come out, find a way to bundle them together and call it "KoF Anniversary Collection". But your idea works too.

ericb

NEST Puppet
Athlon64 said:
Just the load times.

Perhaps fixed on Xbox? I guess only time will tell... and knowing SNKP-USA, that will be a long time...

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
ericb said:
Perhaps fixed on Xbox? I guess only time will tell... and knowing SNKP-USA, that will be a long time...

As far as I know they just forgot one important step that gave it the long load times. I remember hearing the game is only a couple hundred MB of space. On the KoF ports they would fill up the DVD with junk data so that the PS2 could load the real data from the disc easier (since the dummy data pushes the real data away from the center) and they didn NOT do this for SS0, hence the load times.