Houston: The Stargate is a-changin'

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I just spoke to Lollicups' on the phone, I asked them how long the stargate's open today, they said it closed down. I asked for more details but they said to ask the owner.

I found this post by the owner at Shoryuken.com:
http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2010326#post2010326

cmutt said:
Quick Announcement:

The Stargate is no longer in operation and will be closed indefinitely.

More information will be posted in the near future. Sorry to hand out bad news right at Xmas time, but that's just how it is.

Have a nice holidays guys.
peace,
cmutt

This sucks, now where will we meet up?

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
That "now where will we meet up?" was not a rehetorical question. I'm serious. Stargate was the place I had all my Neo-Geo.com gatherings. Would anyone know of another Houston arcade with as much SNK?

Perhaps someone has a large house they can volunteer (not me)? As always, my supergun and Neo games are always ready to go anywhere I can take my car. My TVs are all sucky composite TVs, so if someone has a house with a nice TV setup with S-Video, that'd be a nice starting point.

Maybe someone lives in an apartment complex with a party room... if that's relatively cheap, then I'm sure the attendees could split the cost of renting it for a night. I'd pitch in the $10 I'd normally spend at the stargate towards that (I bet I'll eat my words for that later).

Houston is now deprived of a public place for Neo, but we can still make a private place for it!

(NOTE: this post is not saying that "I want to have a gathering soon", I'm just saying that in general we should think of alternatives.)

fatal fury fan #2

Duck King's DJ
DanAdamKOF said:
That "now where will we meet up?" was not a rehetorical question. I'm serious. Stargate was the place I had all my Neo-Geo.com gatherings. Would anyone know of another Houston arcade with as much SNK?

Perhaps someone has a large house they can volunteer (not me)? As always, my supergun and Neo games are always ready to go anywhere I can take my car. My TVs are all sucky composite TVs, so if someone has a house with a nice TV setup with S-Video, that'd be a nice starting point.

Maybe someone lives in an apartment complex with a party room... if that's relatively cheap, then I'm sure the attendees could split the cost of renting it for a night. I'd pitch in the $10 I'd normally spend at the stargate towards that (I bet I'll eat my words for that later).

Houston is now deprived of a public place for Neo, but we can still make a private place for it!

(NOTE: this post is not saying that "I want to have a gathering soon", I'm just saying that in general we should think of alternatives.)

I have a cab so I can only bring MVS carts which I only have 12 of and I am willing to chip in money for a metup somewhere and I do have a 12 inch tv

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I have an S-Video setup BUT it's bulky... I have a capture card I use with my computer (and it supports S-Video) and big (19") VGA monitor. The setup is a pain in the ass to haul around, but it's better than FFF's 12" TV ;). Anyhow, that's an option, but it'd be best if it was a dedicated TV (where you only need to plug in power and video, instead of power and video and VGA and mouse and keyboard and speakers...).

The main thing we need is a PLACE though, one large enough for, say, 7-10 people at the maximum, and also large enough to hold stuff for them to game on. As I mentioned before, an arcade with a ton of Neo stuff would work well (as it did in the past). Everyone has TVs, we can worry about that later.

fatal fury fan #2

Duck King's DJ
DanAdamKOF said:
I have an S-Video setup BUT it's bulky... I have a capture card I use with my computer (and it supports S-Video) and big (19") VGA monitor. The setup is a pain in the ass to haul around, but it's better than FFF's 12" TV ;). Anyhow, that's an option, but it'd be best if it was a dedicated TV (where you only need to plug in power and video, instead of power and video and VGA and mouse and keyboard and speakers...).

The main thing we need is a PLACE though, one large enough for, say, 7-10 people at the maximum, and also large enough to hold stuff for them to game on. As I mentioned before, an arcade with a ton of Neo stuff would work well (as it did in the past). Everyone has TVs, we can worry about that later.

face it there is no good arcades in houston :crying: :oh_no:

dang!

:blow_top: yall lucky yall got to go i missed the last few gatherings and i never been to the stargate. :crying:

fatal fury fan #2

Duck King's DJ
Neo-Geo KID said:
:blow_top: yall lucky yall got to go i missed the last few gatherings and i never been to the stargate. :crying:

yea it was a cool place and the first met up was the best one good times good times :crying:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Damn, i never even made it to one of those gatherings... Sorry for that. Shitty news about the arcade closing down.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
well I went to one, Gave out some free stuff and had to go home.

As mentioned though I doubt I can have any gatherings at my place. I have become way to busy in my olders years, Sorry.

Although if you like I will still be doing the game room planning for the 2 anime conventions in Houston

http://www.oni-con.com/

and

http://www.kamikazecon.com/

I promise to keep a Neo Presents and Who knows maybe even a atomis wave.

Although It may be doubtfull on the free stuff. Once we break 5,000 in attendance though I can get more sponsors. (close hit 3,000 at Oni) Although A big thanks to Snk-capcom, Cocoebiz and Shawn for helping out with the last one.

FYI Chris from stargate was going to helpout with the console gaming although things may have changed with this news.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Hopefully the next Oni-con won't be around any more important dates for me :). Too bad about not using your house, I understand though.

Phil, since you seem to have connections, any ideas of places where we could meet up? If not an arcade, perhaps a large room we can rent or something?

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
DanAdamKOF said:
Hopefully the next Oni-con won't be around any more important dates for me :). Too bad about not using your house, I understand though.

Phil, since you seem to have connections, any ideas of places where we could meet up? If not an arcade, perhaps a large room we can rent or something?

well there's 2 conventions I'm doing and kamikazecon is in march (25-27) at the Hyatt downtown in a Huge miniballroom :p

as far as places to meet, well if your going to San jac, U of H or any other Houston school, form a club and use the student centers. You get enough people they will even give you money to hold events. That's how anime clubs got started.

fatal fury fan #2

Duck King's DJ
Big Bruno said:
well I went to one, Gave out some free stuff and had to go home.

As mentioned though I doubt I can have any gatherings at my place. I have become way to busy in my olders years, Sorry.

Although if you like I will still be doing the game room planning for the 2 anime conventions in Houston

http://www.oni-con.com/

and

http://www.kamikazecon.com/

I promise to keep a Neo Presents and Who knows maybe even a atomis wave.

Although It may be doubtfull on the free stuff. Once we break 5,000 in attendance though I can get more sponsors. (close hit 3,000 at Oni) Although A big thanks to Snk-capcom, Cocoebiz and Shawn for helping out with the last one.

FYI Chris from stargate was going to helpout with the console gaming although things may have changed with this news.

I hope oni-con will be hold at the same place next year it wasn't to faw from where I lived :)

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Man that bites DAN, I know full well what it's like to see the arcades here in SATX turn into Pure Shit, but Arcades just don't make it anymore outside of the Asian Sphere or more to the point JAPAN it seems.

If I were you though, I'd do my best to get ahold of the owner of the place {since you always seemed to know the Star Gate dude pretty well} and ask how much he's willing to sell you a Cab or some other upright for. I seriously doubt he's going to open another arcade, and with the LAN parties for Console gaming that had been set up failing {I'm assuming on this note}, there'd be no point in it. I'm thinking he'll liquidate his stuff on EBAY of course, but for a long time customer, it never hurts to ask, and you'd be surprised how ppl wanting to just be rid of their remaning stock will sell out.

PEACE OUT BRO.

MERCENARY X99

fatal fury fan #2

Duck King's DJ
Mercenary X99 said:
Man that bites DAN, I know full well what it's like to see the arcades here in SATX turn into Pure Shit, but Arcades just don't make it anymore outside of the Asian Sphere or more to the point JAPAN it seems.

If I were you though, I'd do my best to get ahold of the owner of the place {since you always seemed to know the Star Gate dude pretty well} and ask how much he's willing to sell you a Cab or some other upright for. I seriously doubt he's going to open another arcade, and with the LAN parties for Console gaming that had been set up failing {I'm assuming on this note}, there'd be no point in it. I'm thinking he'll liquidate his stuff on EBAY of course, but for a long time customer, it never hurts to ask, and you'd be surprised how ppl wanting to just be rid of their remaning stock will sell out.

PEACE OUT BRO.

MERCENARY X99

I know that he has candy cab up for sell

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
SHIT. I've only been there twice since I don't live in Houston but it was enough to know that I was in the coolest place in Texas. *sigh*

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
BUMP. Where would we meet now? As it is, an ideal place is someone's house. He doesn't even need to have a Neo. The thing is, with the Stargate, it was public property, so there was no real planning that went into a meetup. Meeting at someone's house (especially if initiated by someone else (like me as usual)) will require more planning.

Other ideas (possibly requiring money):
- rent a community center
- cheap conference room in a hotel
- conference room at someone's job (if there's a projector, GREAT!)
- party room at someone's apartment complex or neighborhood

and that's all I can think of. Ideally, the place, whereever it is, needs to be able to hold room for 5-10 people, game stuff, and some TVs. The reason I think that someone's house is the best idea is that it would be free.

Please discuss this, we'll need a new place sometime, so we may as well discuss this now.

fatal fury fan #2

Duck King's DJ
DanAdamKOF said:
BUMP. Where would we meet now? As it is, an ideal place is someone's house. He doesn't even need to have a Neo. The thing is, with the Stargate, it was public property, so there was no real planning that went into a meetup. Meeting at someone's house (especially if initiated by someone else (like me as usual)) will require more planning.

Other ideas (possibly requiring money):
- rent a community center
- cheap conference room in a hotel
- conference room at someone's job (if there's a projector, GREAT!)
- party room at someone's apartment complex or neighborhood

and that's all I can think of. Ideally, the place, whereever it is, needs to be able to hold room for 5-10 people, game stuff, and some TVs. The reason I think that someone's house is the best idea is that it would be free.

Please discuss this, we'll need a new place sometime, so we may as well discuss this now.

well my cab is about to go to my dad's pizza shop but if I do well in school I may be able to have a small met up during spring brake

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
fatal fury fan #2 said:
well my cab is about to go to my dad's pizza shop but if I do well in school I may be able to have a small met up during spring brake
At your house?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Okay, for those not keeping track of the thread at SRK, there was rumor that Stargate's not totally dead, then the owner made this post:

cmutt said:
To make things clearer, the SG is closed and will not be re-opened as a business location.

Instead, all of SG's machines will be moved into a warehouse over by the Meyerland and Meyerpark area off of 610.

If things work out, there will be occasional "SG Nights" which will be announced beforehand. More details will be given soon, but basically it will be open to SG regulars and friends only.

Happy New Years,
Cmutt

Hmm! That isn't so bad. Perhaps we could make it to some of these things as meetups?

fatal fury fan #2

Duck King's DJ
ok so I was talking to chris tonight and he siad that we can have a meet up at his warehouse and JUST 5 BUCKS to stay there all day :glee: :D :buttrock: he has 2 TVs so for people with superguns and AES bring them. he still has the cabs which are 6 slot big red 4 slot big red and 4 slot candy cab :D so really all we need is somewhere to sit and food. He is look at a date in febuary. The warehoues is between galleria and astroworld. He will be posting some more info later on :cool: so look out houston and Texas Members we have found a spot :D :buttrock:

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
fatal fury fan #2 said:
ok so I was talking to chris tonight and he siad that we can have a meet up at his warehouse and JUST 5 BUCKS to stay there all day :glee: :D :buttrock: he has 2 TVs so for people with superguns and AES bring them. he still has the cabs which are 6 slot big red 4 slot big red and 4 slot candy cab :D so really all we need is somewhere to sit and food. He is look at a date in febuary. The warehoues is between galleria and astroworld. He will be posting some more info later on :cool: so look out houston and Texas Members we have found a spot :D :buttrock:

You should really put this info on a new thread. I think a lot of Texans pass this by cuz the title sounds so depressing. Great news though!