kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
so neowave was 04.. maybe.

05 .. MVS?

haha

Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

Mega Shock!!
well godammit i hope this extra development time = new sprites and animation for alll the characters, i think its fucking overdue. At least make the move from MVS worth it. I mean, we haven't seen a game which showed how hard SNK worked since Garou right? ..welll i guess i did say SNK, this is SNKP. im hopeful, and that Sprite artwork of the hi-res original orochi fighters really whetted my appetite as to what is possible.(Which was done by the original sprite artist no less..a sign of things to come....i wish)...

enough ranting, only time will tell, at least i have a shitload of MVS classics to enjoy and make me forget any shit SNKP has done.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku said:
well godammit i hope this extra development time = new sprites and animation for alll the characters, i think its fucking overdue. At least make the move from MVS worth it.

I believe 94 ReBout may mark a new era of hi-resolution King of Fighters games... or at least I hope.

Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku said:
I mean, we haven't seen a game which showed how hard SNK worked since Garou right?

Maximum Impact? King of Fighters 2003? Samurai Spirits Zero SPECIAL?

Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

Mega Shock!!
Mushiki said:
I believe 94 ReBout may mark a new era of hi-resolution King of Fighters games... or at least I hope.

well yeah, theres no doubt those games aren't extremely bad, but what I mean by working hard is like rehauling the engine (aka everything) ....similar to Garou, where they pretty much took out ideas from scratch and made a brand new game out of it. Of course this game took 2-3 years to accomplish, which is why i am hopeful this new KOF might contain new sprites. KOF 2k3 and SS Zero used sprites from previous games, elaborated on current engines, and mashed it all togethor. Nevertheless, im not saying they werent good, just time to move on a bit i guess.

As for 94, I am also hoping that it is a sign on SNKP saying that new sprites are to come, even though those 94 rebout sprites arent too great looking. (94 filtered maybe?)

Maybe I am just to friggin picky? who knows.just my 2 cents.
:drool_2:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
new hi-res graphics will get old fast. after 2-3 weeks with the game, you will lose the joy of looking at the beautiful new spirits and BGs.

the only good thing that will last long is the deep gameplay.

if anything, I would like them to focus on adding more characters per game (redrawn Eiji, Duck, .... etc.)

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:

all 3 of those games pale in comparison to garou.

Robert

20 Year Member
That's a good decision form Playmore. Focus on NGBC instead of producing a quick KOF 04 makes more sense than many decisions they have taken before.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Let's remember that the main reason they moved to AW was to avoid all the piracy/bootleg/ROMZ in the MVS, not to use the "superior" capabilities of the AW (which, for 2D games, I doubt are superior to the MVS, other than the OMG OMG hi res). If it wasn't for piracy they would have possibly stayed in MVS.

Anyway, let's *hope* they also take this chance to update the sprites, create new ones and use the hi-res for something more than the backgrounds. I also prefer them to focus on NBC (which looks fantastic so far) and bring a more elaborated KoF by the middle/end of 2005.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
kernow said:

you haven't played KOF2003. how did you know it's inferior to MotW?

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:

94 rebout looks like ass compared to the original kof 94,thanks

MI is well below average

samurai spirits zero and special were developed by yuki

all snkp ever did was to fuck it all up with the home release of special

2003 is alright but all i can do is to remember the names of the last 3 snk games

kof 99

metal slug 3

motw

thanks

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
k'_127 said:
you haven't played KOF2003. how did you know it's inferior to MotW?

well.. its fucking obvious.

and "what fran said.."

Stephane

Boss Hogg,
Neocloud said:
A news from a french website: http://www.gamekult.com/tout/actus/articles/A0000038299.html

Its official, no KOF 2004, this is what Falcoon as said during a party for the KOF 10th Anniversary...

the good news its that SNKP work on a new KOF for 2005, it will not be another Neowave or Maximum Impact, maybe its the continuation of KOF 2003...

wait and see

:crying: really a bad news, i really hoped a new kof this year :(

Last edited:

Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

Mega Shock!!
Amano Jacu said:
Let's remember that the main reason they moved to AW was to avoid all the piracy/bootleg/ROMZ in the MVS, not to use the "superior" capabilities of the AW (which, for 2D games, I doubt are superior to the MVS, other than the OMG OMG hi res). If it wasn't for piracy they would have possibly stayed in MVS.

Anyway, let's *hope* they also take this chance to update the sprites, create new ones and use the hi-res for something more than the backgrounds. I also prefer them to focus on NBC (which looks fantastic so far) and bring a more elaborated KoF by the middle/end of 2005.

quote that for further emphasis.

And just remember, Hi-Res don't mean guilty gear XX$!#%#!#R$#%$@ graphics.

yamasaki.jpg

Thats Hi-Res and looks HAWT, too bad its just sprite artwork. :drool_2:

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Actually, I don't mind the idea of spacing the KOFs further apart, at all.

I wont miss the KOF a year thing at all if that means they use the extra time to
make more modifications to their game. Heck, for a while, I was beginning to think they were coming out with KOFs too fast. I never had the time to really explore all of a KOF before the next one was already out. So what do I do? I stop midway and try playing the next game, only to have to come back (years later) to try to finish what I started.

A KOF game, at this point, should probably go a good 2-3 years and just be well-made, not rushed. I know they want to gain revenue each year, but perhaps splitting to do different games, each year, is not a bad idea.

I'm already interested in seeing how they'll link the story between 2003 and 2005, and explain the conditions why the time between the tournaments are spreading.

Still, with the new cast of characters coming in, and the ideas they obviously have in pushing the series forward; they should make an inventive overhaul.

Fatal Fury has been pretty good with that, but then again, you don't have a Fatal Fury every year, either. I'm probably in the group of diehard KOF fans who (at one point) lived, breathed KOF. If there's something done to improve the series, I'm all for it. Even if it means I'll have to *gasp* play a certain year of KOF for more than one year, before seeing the next. (Like that would be any issue for me. Like I can conquer a KOF be bored, and have nothing left to do, in one year........or even 3-5 years). Don't we STILL play Street Fighter 3rd Strike? Mark of the Wolves? Fatal Fury Real Bout 2? (Place favorite KOF years here)?

Last edited:

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:

I don't recall SNK telling they were switching to Atomiswave to avoid piracy.

Atomiswave is technically superior, in many ways, not only graphics but also sound performance - it's like comparing any MVS game with Guilty Gear X/XX

kernow said:

I named 3 games which showed "how hard SNK worked" on them, just that. If you like Garou better, that's a personal opinion.

Fran said:
94 rebout looks like ass compared to the original kof 94,thanks

But it's still technically better, if SNK made it look like shit it's SNK's fault and not the better technology/hi-resolution's fault.

Fran said:
MI is well below average

Still, a relatively nice effort by SNK to get into developing 3D fighters.

Fran said:
2003 is alright but all i can do is to remember the names of the last 3 snk games

kof 99

metal slug 3

motw

KOF99 wasn't that good, it had great production value, music, graphics, art direction, but the gameplay wasn't really that great.

Metal Slug 3 - the best Metal Slug game.

Mark of the Wolves - good, but flawed, I personally don't like it. Third Strike forever.

And please, let's not start with the whole "this isn't the real SNK :crying: " drama once more.

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Last edited:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Mushiki said:
I don't recall SNK telling they were switching to Atomiswave to avoid piracy.

And on to SNK today, and its rather exciting, if long-overdue hardware upgrade program. In something of a battlecry that will warm the hearts of King of Fighters enthusiasts across the world, according to Koyama-san, there was no gameplay reasoning behind the ditching of the MVS (Multi Video System) and SNK would happily support the platform today and into the future. The problem with the system was that despite its best efforts, SNK just could not protect its development investment from pirates. “There is no reason why the system could not be used now and in the future,” he said. “Our games regularly are in the top earnings chart for the Japanese arcade industry – players can see the gameplay value of what we offer and we have not been held back by the hardware platform we use. The main problem is the pirates.”

Morishita-san explains, “We released King of Fighters 2003 in Japan. Within two days we were seeing copied versions of our game from China hitting the open market across Asia. And with that level of organised piracy, our time spent developing and launching the game means it is almost impossible to balance. Our games have also been spread across the Internet, another reason why enhanced hardware technology will help us. With King of Fighters 2003, we spent a lot of time and energy trying to protect the game from pirates. If our best efforts then see pirate versions shipping within two days, it becomes time to move on.”

:rolleyes:

Atomiswave is technically superior, in many ways, not only graphics but also sound performance - it's like comparing any MVS game with Guilty Gear X/XX

I know Atomiswave is superior, but I don't see why we need more than the MVS to do good 2D games. Many people here say gameplay should come first to graphics. I can understand using AW for 3D games (and still is nothing more and nothing less than a Dreamcast).

Garland Russell

Dodgeball Yakuza
No KOF '04? Aw, man. :( They should at least have it to celebrate the 10th anniversary of it by bringing a lot of characters from KOF '94 to KOF '03. :crying: hopefully that will be in KOF '05.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
See, this is the cost of mainstreaming KOF to a sick point with crap games like MI and a re-release of the unplayable KOF 94. I bet those dumb ass redizzy's still work.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
I know Atomiswave is superior, but I don't see why we need more than the MVS to do good 2D games. Many people here say gameplay should come first to graphics. I can understand using AW for 3D games (and still is nothing more and nothing less than a Dreamcast).

We don't "need" anything better, but higher resolution graphics, more sprites, bigger sprites, better color depth, no slow-down, better lightning effects, possibility of using 3D geometry, CD quality sound and several other things can make the overall game experience better.

And the MVS cannot do that.

- Anyway, things like this is what rendered the Neo-Geo hardware better than the Super Famicom or MegaDrive hardware, mostly because it gave the developers more "freedom" and potential.

kernow said:
how is 94 rebout technically better?

All the mentioned above.

And we are talking about technical performance, not how good or bad the game plays.

Last edited: