Dreamcast Component Mod?

Athlon64

Galford's Armourer
Is it possible? I mean next to the Neo this is my most played console and just think of all the 2-D fighting games which came out for this system. Don't get me wrong the Ps2 and the X-box has it's share of nice ports but to my opinion (just like the Saturn) this system is a 2-D wonder.

Dreamcazman

New Challenger
If your TV has a VGA input, get a VGA adaptor and use that, far superior to component.

But your TV probably only has component, you could get hold of a VGA to component converter and use that with the VGA box. It's a bit of a mess of adaptors and so forth and your TV has to support a progressive component signal too.

If you just want simple interlaced component output, I wouldn't bother, S-video from the DC is superb. The DC isn't capable of straight component output. It is were possible I'd say there'd be some serious hacking involved.

Ackula

Mr. Big's Thug
Just use S-vid for Dreamcast...it looks quite wonderful with S-vid imho.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Athlon64 said:
Would it make a lot of difference if I get a VGA Box?

VGA BOX= High Res RGB.... It will look wonderfull. some games will look better on a monitor than most PSII games look on a TV.

Athlon64

Galford's Armourer
norton9478 said:
VGA BOX= High Res RGB.... It will look wonderfull. some games will look better on a monitor than most PSII games look on a TV.

Would you know where I can order one on-line? Can you also recommend a brand?

Thanks.

Last edited:

eclypse

Banned
The Vga Box is a rare item now adays. Your best bet is to hunt down one on ebay.. Expect to pay 15-30 some even go for around 50 if there the offical dreamcast brand vga box. Most like the performance brand but there harder to find.

Dont think it really matters though.. Any of them will do fine and most come with headphone ports,S-video out as well since some games dont work with the vga out. Oh and regualr stereo RCA outs as well.

I believe the max rez that comes out of a vga box is 640x480.. So whatever monitor or tv your gona use.. make sure it will support this screen resolution!

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
AFAIK, a lot of DC games dont support the VGA box, therefore, youll only be getting your money's worth for the few games that support the better picture. Id look into a mod if I were you. That should allow for all games to display in VGA 'unofficialy' i believe ay least.

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
On Japanese DC games it states on the back if the games are VGA compatible. I looked at 25 or so of mine and only a couple were not compatible (or did not list compatibility).

You can always get an XRGB2+ for those that are not compatible.

A VGA to component adaptor is not that expensive, since VGA and component share almost the same exact specifications.

In fact on the Gamecube, you actually modify a component cable by just putting a HD15 plug on the end and it provides VGA output. However, the cables are not official and cost $50+.

I would also like to state that VGA output for 2D is not really a perfect scenario.. Since alot of the capcom/SNK sprites are very low resolution. Putting 2D sprites through the VGA adaptor will make for a very blocky image. Although it will be crystal clear.

Dreamcazman

New Challenger
I have alot of DC games still and more than 95% of them run in VGA. It was only a few of the very early titles that didn't work as well as a couple of the KOF games.

The box I've got is a Hais brand, I used to have a Shinybow one but sold it. If you don't want to use Ebay, check out a few of the Hong Kong based online shops (eg Lik Sang) one of them is sure to have one.

IMO, the DC still puts out the best quality picture of any of the current consoles. Nothing beats true RGB VGA, besides DVI that is.