New Metal Slug Advance Review

justdefend

Quiz Detective
There's a new review of Metal Slug Advance at Punch Jump

Not as great as the mighty Metal Slug Second Mission on Neo Geo Pocket, but nice to see that MS gets another solid portable game.

dbarrett0928

Banned
review

the gamespot review state their is a cool feature that allows you to collect cards from certain pow's and what not. i thought that part was gret. i hear is does a decent job of simulating the old school ms games...

justdefend

Quiz Detective
Yep, there are cards that hostages drop that can be viewed outside the game. Most are just pictures that describe an item, like "Banana - great for fiber" type thing. Others actually have added specials that can be turned on or off in the game.

Probably one of the best Metal Slugs in a while. Better level designs than MS5, and harder than most.

Suragu

Quiz Detective
I really enjoyed it. I still can't find 10 of the cards.

The thing about cards is that they allow you to get items at times when you normally wouldn't have them.

Example: Once you have the turkey card you can shoot some bushes in the vertical part of stage 2 and you get life rejuvinating turkeys. No card = no turkeys.

Even though the level graphics are farr less intricate than an actual mvs slug game (except 4, which is complete garbage IMO) they are fun. The final mission branches into about 3 distinct paths as does the unlockable cavern stage(you need to get the card from mission 5)

Well worth the $$$

Buy it now: the gameplay is great and the replay value is incredibly high, just don't expect a high variety of graphics..

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Just got it today and so far I'm really enjoying it.
I would have to agree with what others have said about the choppy framerate in some areas, but it's a decent game, especially seeing as how it's on GBA...

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
I saw this at Fry's earlier in the week, but didn't pick it up for fear of it potentially, well, sucking. Given that it's a relatively cheap GBA title, though, perhaps I'll give it a try.

buster_broon

The Rock,
loving this game

so far i have 52 prisoners (cant get thru level 5 without dying - yet) and 50 cards

the only level i have fully completed is 4 and i cant fidn the following - if somebody can help

level 1 - the last prisoner

level 3 about 6 of teh feckers

please help

Yea I'd say MSA is one of Playmore's better productions. It really is pure metal slug, sans the card collecting, 1life, no unlimited credits, and enemy respawn. But thank goodness the engine, gfx, and sounds are the same.

Certainly is the hardest slug ever though. With all the precision required to actually live through the levels to get your cards, it sorta changes the way I play my AES slugs a bit.

I'll probably never get all the cards but then again I can be quite determined at times.

I'm glad most of us like the game.

buster_broon

The Rock,
Electroman said:
it sorta changes the way I play my AES slugs a bit.

thats true

played thru slug 1 last night on level 1 and i found 6 more prisoners i'd never been bothered to find before

bulletnyourass

noble trader
I'm glad to hear some positive reviews about this. I am planning to pick it up to play on my cube via the GB Player.

Phillip

Bulletnyourass said:
I'm glad to hear some positive reviews about this. I am planning to pick it up to play on my cube via the GB Player.

Phillip

HA! Slug on teh cube... now that's something to read about.

It should be even easier to control with a bigger controller too.

buster_broon

The Rock,
been playing this all weekend and once you get the dungeons it gets alot easier since you get all the upgrade cards there for your weapons, managed to compelte this bad boy, one card is so easy that i was unaware i'd got it until i died. I was busy doing other things

well good

loads of replay value and you have to since some prisoners arnt accessable until you get specific dungeons cards (tutors love, ancient ruins etc) and obviously multiple routes

other nice cards are paper thin - you have to complete any level without getting hit

also all the bosses have cards and they have to give them to you which means you have to destroy them a specific way. there are loads of faqs on the net but just try and kill them as quickly as possible, but you wont be able to do this until you have loads of upgrade cards (+, extra ammo and tnt)

hidden extras - which can be found out using ir sensor or hidden parts of levels which offer prisoners or upgrades

different vehicles - upgrade cards change the slug into a type r (reverse), which is pretty useless, slug gunner which is hard to use but you get a mech slug or a tank and finally the best of the conversions, black hound which gives the slug a smilie face and instead of a rail gun you have a guided missle launcher ontop which is quite effective

the bad

difficult at the start which might turn people off at the start and funnily enough when you have upgrades it becomes pretty easy, i reckon i can destroy each boss (except the last) in around 5-8 seconds, the final mission boss in around 10 seconds

auto fire - kinda destoys any skill involved in the game, this game should be played with manual fire - the only way to appreciate this game

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Bulletnyourass said:

Phillip

Speaking of slug on the Cube, wtf ever happened to MS 4 on the Cube? Is that still going to happen?

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
I got it for christmas but havnt played it much. I play it with my DS and the damn thing keeps freezing up on me right before I beat the second boss :blow_top: . Its happened twice now. Im guessing the game has problems with the DS. The sounds are really choppy on the DS also. But some of my other GBA games have sound problems on the DS as well.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Mr.Nemoperson said:
I got it for christmas but havnt played it much. I play it with my DS and the damn thing keeps freezing up on me right before I beat the second boss :blow_top: . Its happened twice now. Im guessing the game has problems with the DS. The sounds are really choppy on the DS also. But some of my other GBA games have sound problems on the DS as well.

That Are Teh Geyh!
:kekeke:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Mr.Nemoperson said:
kinda like you :kekeke:

Don't get pissy :kekeke: , you have to admit how gay that is about the DS. :kekeke:

oh and happy new year :kekeke:

Ken Masters

Another Striker
My copy also freezes when I play it on my DS but it plays fine on my GBA player.I read on the internet that people are having problems with it on the DS.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
NeoCverA said:
Don't get pissy :kekeke: , you have to admit how gay that is about the DS. :kekeke:

oh and happy new year :kekeke:

I was just irritated about the thing freezing is all :(

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Nothing is worth a GBA to play GBA games obviously. I wouldn't buy a DS telling myself "Let's buy it now to play GBA games, and DS games when they are released."

Metal SLug is damn tempting but I dunno why I don't want to put cash in it. It's just too expensive. :kekeke:

Robert

20 Year Member
I have a SP and I think won't feel confortable with the control and button settings for such an hard platform game. I need a solid joystick.

have a ds and was I going 2 get msa, but i doubt it now, considering how it freezes up 'n shit.............. why the hell didnt they put that joystick thing thats on the neo pocket on the ds or psp?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
taco clemente 9 said:
have a ds and was I going 2 get msa, but i doubt it now, considering how it freezes up 'n shit.............. why the hell didnt they put that joystick thing thats on the neo pocket on the ds or psp?

Probably cause they didn't want a control scheme that sucked.

Neo Pocket = Zzzz