Naomi Universal Cab

Ill6

Marked Wolf
Can anyone help me figure out the universal... I keep getting conflicting answers.

In a dream world I want a cab that:
- Can be rotated horizontal and vertically
- Has a multisync monitor for my older stuff and future proof for AW etc
- Accepts Jamma should the need arize.

Each seller seems to conflict.

One says that the monitor is only horizontal but it accepts Jamma (with additional loom) and is multisync
One says that jammas a no-go and the monitors are only hi res.

Am I going the wrong way here... Can anyone help?

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Ill6 said:
Can anyone help me figure out the universal... I keep getting conflicting answers.

In a dream world I want a cab that:
- Can be rotated horizontal and vertically
- Has a multisync monitor for my older stuff and future proof for AW etc
- Accepts Jamma should the need arize.

Each seller seems to conflict.

One says that the monitor is only horizontal but it accepts Jamma (with additional loom) and is multisync
One says that jammas a no-go and the monitors are only hi res.

Am I going the wrong way here... Can anyone help?

Hi,

There is Jamma adaptor available I think its made by Namco, as for monitors usually the U.K versions only have high-rez 31Khz monitors, but the import versions have a switchblade 15-31Khz monitor hope this helps?

I have Universal cab/Naomi 2 service book's if there anything else you need to know?

Last edited:

Ill6

Marked Wolf
Thanks for all the info... Great stuff. I guess I want an import one then.

Just so that I am totally clear, the NAMCO adaptor is for the cab (not the board - people keep telling me you can only get an adaptor for the board). Do you know where I can get those?

Is the Monitor rotatable?

Do you have one of these?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I have a Konami Windy, and have played AW and Naomi as well as numerous JAMMA boards on it. Everything has worked flawlessly. The monitor rotates, although I only did this once and will never do it again, as it is a pain and a half. Like 8 bitches in a bitch boat. It'd be nice if there was a cab that let you rotate the monitor EASILY.

MuKuro

Overtop Pathfinder
15 Year Member
I know very well Sega Naomi Universal Cabinet Cabinet, basically there are two type that apparently are the same thing but have different monitor:
All Naomi Universal Cabinet UK and most of the USA ones have SANWA 29E31S 29" monitor wich work 31Kz/high res only otherwise the Japanese models also named SEGA NET CITY have NANAO 29" wich support all resolution (15Kz/24Kz/31KZ) both SANWA and NANAO monitors are rotable.
All naomi caninets have stereo amplifier and are not Jamma compatible because Naomi pcb use JVS standard and you must add jamma cables and rewire all control boards and also you must perform some minor modification at power supply.
If you have any further question please let me know.

Ill6

Marked Wolf
Thanks for the great info.

- Do you know of the JVS->JAMMA adaptor that realgameplay mentioned?
- Is the monitor easily rotated?
- Is the conversion you described one way; i.e. once I have performed the conversion will JVS still work?

MuKuro said:
I know very well Sega Naomi Universal Cabinet Cabinet, basically there are two type that apparently are the same thing but have different monitor:
All Naomi Universal Cabinet UK and most of the USA ones have SANWA 29E31S 29" monitor wich work 31Kz/high res only otherwise the Japanese models also named SEGA NET CITY have NANAO 29" wich support all resolution (15Kz/24Kz/31KZ) both SANWA and NANAO monitors are rotable.
All naomi caninets have stereo amplifier and are not Jamma compatible because Naomi pcb use JVS standard and you must add jamma cables and rewire all control boards and also you must perform some minor modification at power supply.
If you have any further question please let me know.

MuKuro

Overtop Pathfinder
15 Year Member
- Do you know of the JVS->JAMMA adaptor that realgameplay mentioned?

Yes I think it's the same maunted in some Namco Windy cab. Really it would be so rare.

- Is the monitor easily rotated?
Isn't so easy! two person are needed to rotate this heavy 29" monitor.

- Is the conversion you described one way; i.e. once I have performed the conversion will JVS still work?
Yes sure! All naomi and Naomi 2 motherboards come with jamma-JVS adapter, its is plug and play and you can chose 15Kz or 31Kz as you prefer.

MuKuro

Overtop Pathfinder
15 Year Member
Once your cab is Jamma then you need only one 3.3V power supply + cables to CN2 and CN1 connector on Naomi pcb + sega jamma adapter or simply a capcom I/O board wich have alredy both 5V and 3.3V.
You can see allo components here:
http://www.sega-naomi.com/Pages/hardware.htm

Ill6

Marked Wolf
Thanks.

I was thinking of keeping it JVS but adding additional connectors and PSU for JAMMA boards... To accept either JAMMA or JVS at any one time (without needing a convertor board).

Has anyone coverted their cab to JAMMA?