Differnt carts for different standards

Jonathan

"Corky"
While both the MVS and AES each carry MVS and AES versions of the game for the different regions (America, Japan and Europe), did SNK make seperate MVS and AES carts for different video standards, e. g., a cart for NTSC and a cart for PAL?

Last edited:

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
No, the carts are the same. The BIOS chip in the AES dictates what you see on screen as far as blood, option etc. MVS arcade boards only ran in 60hz RGB, so there is no PAL version for the arcade boards.

In fact I do not think the AES was PAL either.

The CD unit was available for PAL, it was NTSC code and you got borders on the top and bottom of the screen and the slowdown on PAL machines. I believe SNK released a 60hz CD unit for the PAL market as an option as it believed RGB compatibility through a SCART TV was commonplace.

For all Neo-geo stuff, the software is universal.. it is the machine which dictates the output signal and options in the game basically.

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
There is a 50Hz PAL version of the AES, which I have had before and a 60Hz PAL version, which I have also had. I think I got my PAL version from Telegames about 3/4 years ago and sold to Proffesser on these forums.

Last edited:

Sumez

The Ultimate 11
I don't think any console prior to PlayStation made it possible for the game code to produce the video output.

soopafamicom

Windjammers Wonder
Neorichieb1971 said:
No, the carts are the same. The BIOS chip in the AES dictates what you see on screen as far as blood, option etc. MVS arcade boards only ran in 60hz RGB, so there is no PAL version for the arcade boards.

In fact I do not think the AES was PAL either.

The CD unit was available for PAL, it was NTSC code and you got borders on the top and bottom of the screen and the slowdown on PAL machines. I believe SNK released a 60hz CD unit for the PAL market as an option as it believed RGB compatibility through a SCART TV was commonplace.

For all Neo-geo stuff, the software is universal.. it is the machine which dictates the output signal and options in the game basically.

There was an official PAL release of the AES,but you sometimes had afew graphical glitches when playing the older games.But this was remedied easily by just altering the jumper points on the AES mobo to make it run in 60hz.

As for the cd machines,they have a whole series of jumpers just like in a megadrive/genesis so you can make it run any region/language or 50/60hz depending on your needs.

Over here we had both 50hz and 60hz versions of both the AES and the cd machines.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The carts are universal in any version of AES home system or MVS arcade cab/supergun etc.

The only difference between a US, Euro, Japanese or Korean version of a cart kit is the case/artwork. As mentioned the language, censorship, blood, bounce whatever is determined by the bios chips program (get the unibios for all options)

The home system has an encoder to change the rgb signals to composite, svid or whatever with mods. So the AES home system has PAL or NTSC options. MVS is simple pure RGB. The best.

soopafamicom

Windjammers Wonder
ttooddddyy said:
The carts are universal in any version of AES home system or MVS arcade cab/supergun etc.

The only difference between a US, Euro, Japanese or Korean version of a cart kit is the case/artwork. As mentioned the language, censorship, blood, bounce whatever is determined by the bios chips program (get the unibios for all options)

The home system has an encoder to change the rgb signals to composite, svid or whatever with mods. So the AES home system has PAL or NTSC options. MVS is simple pure RGB. The best.

Sub 90,XXX AES, a proper TV (european with scart socket) and the correct lead also gives pure RGB :p