AES system connection - n00b FAQ

MyulChi

Goal! Goal! Goal!
I am a total newbie so please bear with me on this question. I was registered in 2001 but I had to put my neogeo stuff aside for a while so feel free to treat me as a newbie.

I just bought a moded AES system with red LED button and s-video, composite out puts. The system didn't come with any hookups to TV so I ran over to a radio shack and got myself a cheap composite hookup (connection line that has red,yellow,whites on both ends)
As I was playing SS2, I noticed the fogs in a particular stage look a little weird (glitchy and flashy). Also, I noticed the game scenes were little off of my TV screen so pictures like health-guages were cut off.

My question is, Which connecting method is most recommanded?
The reason I bought the composite hookup was because I always thought those were the "s-video" hookup. (duh..)
Is it better to get a s-video hookup? Or is it because I bought a cheap connection?($9) I saw those monster s-video hookups costs like $50, are they worth the price? Some1 help me out here.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I'd definitely get an S-video cable and use that as your connection, but I wouldn't bother with the Monster cables. They're mostly bullshit IMO, and are probably totally unnecessary unless you're living somewhere where there's TONS of electrical interference (like inside of a power plant :loco: ).

Anyway, your composite connection shouldn't really have serious graphical glitches either. I'm thinking that you may have to clean your cart, as an S-video connection generally won't help with serious graphical glitches. It most just helps with color separation and resolution.

MyulChi

Goal! Goal! Goal!
i see. So s-video IS better.
Do anyone have comparison pictures of s-video and composite?
I checked neobitz.com but the pictures were down.

thx for the answer galfordo :eek_2: