Gamespot reviews Metal Slug Advance - it got a great score!!

rockhoward

Crossed Swords Squire
Yeah it is pretty fun to play and except some newly added features, it plays almost like the Neo versions (except blood). It takes some getting used to for the lifebar instead of "getting hit once and die" and the card-collecting. Some cards actually give you stuff like more ammo or less damage if you have the card from the beginning of the stage. I remember IGN giving a shitty review cuz they didn't know how to take advantage of the new features.... but since when IGN was smart and accurate? :glee:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Every time I click on a Gamespot link, it freezes my computer, so that summary will have to do. Sounds promising, though.

JC10001

Zero's Secretary
SouthtownKid said:
Every time I click on a Gamespot link, it freezes my computer, so that summary will have to do. Sounds promising, though.

I'll PM it to you.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Gamespot said:
The gooey blood sprays also didn't make it into the game.

This saddens me, but it sounds like they did a pretty nice job with this one overall. I might go ahead and grab it for my next flight home. :)

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I tried this @ EB today, and I was pleasantly surprised. It was nice and fast, the sprites look good, and it's decently animated for a portable game. Not quite as fluid as the Neo versions, but that's to be expected. A very solid Slug game for the Neo freaks. Arguably the best rehash Playmore has attempted thus far.

I'm tempted to go back and buy it, even though I don't have a GBA.
GBA games look a lot nicer on the DS with it's actual backlit screen, so I may end up getting one.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
any info about the cards?
it's not sold separately like the e reader cards right?
it's in game cards you unlock?

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
I've had the Japanese version for about 2 weeks, and at first I really liked it, but not so much now.

Graphics: 9

+ Very impressive for the GBA. Super-Close to the Neo versions!

- The animation is a bit lacking

Sound: 9

+ Faithfull re-creates the Neo Geo sound, with some cool new tracks thrown in!

- Not much in the Negative department. Very impressive.

Control: 6

+: Easy button layout.

-: The attack and decay time (when you character starts, and stops moving) isn't nearly as accurate as the Neo versions, or other GBA advance acton games. The response is a bit slow, and really could use some tweaking.

Gameplay: 6

+: Has that great Slug Feel.

-: At first, the idea of a life bar really doesn't seem bad. Then you play the game a bit. You only have one life, and while that seems fine, later-on things kill you in ONE HIT, which in effect means only ONE LIFE, ONE HIT. While the game is generous with continue points, the only way to keep the cards you earn is by completing the level with a no-miss. Also, some of the bosses really do take too long, and begin to loose thier interest. It's not that they're hard, they just really get old after 10 min. of the same 3 patterns.

Fun Factor: Depends

If you want to play it stright with no interest in the cards, is above average, but if you want to play for the cards, get ready to bend over and grab your ankles for some anal rape.

Over-all: 7

It's not crap, but it could be better.

Last edited:

Neo Skier

Banned
So there's no blood in the Jap version? That's the only reason I didn't grab the US one when it came out...

...I guess I need to get it tomorrow

...anyone play it on the GBA Player....what do you think?

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
Neo Skier said:
So there's no blood in the Jap version? That's the only reason I didn't grab the US one when it came out...

...I guess I need to get it tomorrow

...anyone play it on the GBA Player....what do you think?

See above.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Guess it's time to buy it. Will do tomorrow.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Just picked it up yesterday, so far I'm very impressed. Game action feels pretty close to the Neo versions (well as close as a portable system can get).

This game also made me realize something about the DS though: I'm much more comfortable playing this game on the GBA SP than on the DS just because of the positioning of the A and B buttons. Because the B button is lower on the DS than the SP it makes it somewhat difficult to get both buttons with your thumb. It would have been nice if Playmore would have allowed remapping of the buttons (i.e. to Y-shoot B-jump on the DS) but I realize that's nitpicking.

Overall an excellent game though.