Replacing a candy cab monitor.....

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Hi,

I have a capcom impress and like a few of you my monitor starts flickering on the lower 10% (the right 10% if its on its side like it is now) after about 25 mins of play. At the moment, its in the garage and it works best in cold temperatures, once the 25 mins has elapsed, I assume it warms up inside and the caps are not keeping the sync in line where it should be. Its winter now, so I can usually play for long durations without hardly any flicker. However, the screen looks slightly blurry than it should and unless you blow up the screen to take up the whole perimeter you do see some arching on the edges. There is a focus potentiometer on the motherboard, but in vertical position you cannot get access to it :(. I only switched the monitor 2 weeks ago :(, I wish I fiddled with it prior to rotating it.

I was thinking a cap kit would fix it (like it states in the other post) however I am starting to rethink and would possibly like to put a Wells gardner K7400 27" (29" in Euro/Japanese standards) in there instead. It will be new, under warranty and it should have no geometry issues at all, let alone dying caps.

So my question is -

Will a WG CRT chassis fit right in a Capcom impress? Are the mounts universal etc?

I am also confused on how the RGB gain, and positioning control on the actual cabinet come into play with a CRT. If I did change the monitor completely out, will the monitor work totally independently of these controls? I guess somewhere along the jamma harness there is a junction just under the control panel where potentiometers control resistance values which set the screen up!

I think a cap kit replacement would be best and cheapest (well its not going to be cheap since I cannot do it myself).

I'm a little confused, if anyone has any idea on the best course of action I would be eternally in your debt.

Thanks,

richard.