power req. 1slot vs. 6 slot

cack01

n00b
I just moved to a 6 slot board, and pretty much all my games are showing graphical glitches. I have done the usual musical chairs and cleaned both female and male slots.

I took a reading of the 5v+ line and I'm at 4.78 while 12+ is at 11.87. You don't need to tell me that the 5v is way too low, but I'm wondering why my 1 slot didn't seem to mind. Does the 6 slot just take more to power it.

Do you guys think the 5V is probably the source of my problems. I know it probably is, but reasurance helps when I am about to spend money.

thanks.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
the +12v seems ok.

What kind of powersupply are you using?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The 6 slot will draw more current, hence the voltage drop.
Set the voltage to say 5.1 with the 6 slot running (measure voltage at the jamma/mvs edge connect not the psu as there will be voltage dropped in the harness)
I set my six slot cabs to 5.2 and have no problems.

cack01

n00b
Thanks for the replys. My supply looks to be an older model of the Happ Ultimate, and I do not have an external 5V pot. Adjusting it with the 6 slot turned on is going to be tough since I'm assuming the pot is located inside the unit itself. Adjusting a tiny screw in an exposed power supply in the back of my cab with power turned on is not my idea of a safe task. The back of the cab is not removable, so all adjustments would need to be done with me leaning through the control panel opening.

On top of that the bearings for the fan are shot, thus the supply puts out a lot of noise. I have some 80mm vantec stealth fans and if the fan is 12V I can replace the stock fan. I just need to think of a safe way of doing this with the power on.

cack01

n00b
Decided to buy a new supply. I opened up the power supply and found that there were three unlabeled pots. The fan itself was really cramed inthere, and the thickness of my vantec fans would not fit. On top of that I found a sticker with a build date of 1988. I don't mind sepnding $50 replacing a part that lasted 16 years.