MVS Repairman (or woman) needed!

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I mentioned this as part of another thread, but I wanted to make it's own. I'm having problems with a 6-slot MVS that I bought. The game freezes after 10 minutes of play, the #2 slot won't play games (but shows the game listed when setting dip), and little to no sound in speakers. I need HELP! If you can fix these or know a repair service, let me know. Thanks

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Ok lets try to work this out...

1. What kind of setup are you using this in?
2. Are you able to use other boards in the same setup?
3. Have you tried moving around the carts (6 slots are very picky about which games go into which slots and which order etc.)
4. Have you tried cleaning the carts and the slots?

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I agree with norton in trying to move the carts around, my 4 slot is has this prob.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I've moved the games several times and cleaned the slot. I tried a new MS5 and still had the problem. I get a blue screen first and then it goes into that green load screen and keeps resetting over and over. I can't even change to another slot until I turn the system off and remove the cart. What about the sound? What controls that?

TheGreenMachine

Geese's Thug
Good luck dealing with Betson. They are located in Baltimore Maryland, but aren't much use aside from occasionally buying basic parts.

http://www.betson.com/about/branchoffices/bt.html

I'm sure they would charge an exorbitant fee to just look at your machine. Then would come the hourly service charge for any labor.

The resetting problems REALLY sounds like some sort of power issue. I know someone suggested in one of your previous threads to bump up the voltage on the +5 volt line. Have you given this a try?

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I have'nt tried the power check yet. I'm not familiar with AC. I do a lot of work with DC since I build old cars. Is the process the same (positive lead on the connection, negative lead on the ground)? Can I use a regular test meter or do I need one that works for AC? In the other thread, they said to go for 5.2 V.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
MVS board is DC...5 volts.....
Check on the board rather than at the power supply end...

TheGreenMachine

Geese's Thug
Upping the +5V is strictly DC. Almost all switching PSU should have some sort of little knob you can turn to adjust the +5V.

Trouble is depending on your PSU it might be out in the open or accessible through a small hole. Or it might be inside the case to keep people from otherwise fooling with it. Which means you might need to take off the cover.

You can try checking the pins on the JAMMA harness to see what you measure for the +5V. Even if it measures +5V you might try bumping it up some to see if that makes any difference(+5.25 to 5.5V).

Audio could be a couple of things:
- First off have you tried turning up the speaker volume slide to see if that is the culprit(...yeah I know ;), but you gotta be sure).
- Trace the wiring and make sure it all appears to be good. You might even want to trace the lines from the board to the speaker to make sure you've got continuity for the left and right channels and ground.
- Could also be a PSU problem