SNKPlaymore and SNKNeoGeo become one company

greyimp

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I don't think this has been posted yet, but...

From the-magicbox.com:
SNK Playmore announced the two Japanese companies SNK Playmore and SNK Neo Geo have merged into a single company SNK Playmore, effective immediately. In the past SNK Playmore was responsible for consumer products, while SNK Neo Geo was responsible for arcade products. After the merger, SNK Playmore will continue its efforts to expand its pachinko, slot machine and videogame businesses.

I wondered what happened, after the US website disappeared a while back.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Just about time. I wonder if Ignition will become SNKP Europe. I doubt it.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Verythrax said:
Just about time. I wonder if Ignition will become SNKP Europe. I doubt it.

Yeah that sounds doubtfull though on the site Ignition claim they have opened offices in Japan to work closer with SNK.

kanji

Mega Shock!!
Consolidation makes sense for the company. They dont have to duplicate various channels like sales, administration, management, etc. It is usually part of a cost saving initiative for a company to do.

I hope they are not in trouble????? Financially.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
kanji said:
Consolidation makes sense for the company. They dont have to duplicate various channels like sales, administration, management, etc. It is usually part of a cost saving initiative for a company to do.

I hope they are not in trouble????? Financially.

Well, history repeats itself.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Stupid company name choice. They should have went with SNK NEO GEO instead. The Playmore name is lame.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
ORPHEUS said:
Stupid company name choice. They should have went with SNK NEO GEO instead. The Playmore name is lame.

they know that name is just too good for them :kekeke:

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
ORPHEUS said:

Yeah. They should have dropped Playmore. The SNK and Neo Geo name is way more recognizable than SNK Playmore. The financial statues of the company IMO is questionable. The latest MVS releases have not sold out quickly by any means. With the Samurai Spirits Zero Special MVS kit priced at round $550 it's easy to see why. I think most arcades, unfortunately, started abandoning the MVS some time ago. I have only seen about one maybe two MVS cabs running in an arcades as of lately.....it's all driving sims and gun games now. The AW is certainly not taking over arcades. Lets hope that SNKP can stay alive.

kanakura

Fio's Quartermaster
- SNK Playmore has absorbed SNK NeoGeo and Noise.
- SNK NeoGeo Hong Kong is now SNK Playmore Hong Kong
- SNK NeoGeo Consumer Corporation is now SNK Playmore USA

Check: www.snkplaymoreusa.com
(press release soon)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
ORPHEUS said:
I don't know... When I hear "Playmore" I think of KOF '01 and KOF '02 before anything else -- two games I like very much. So the Playmore name has good associations for me.

"Neo Geo", I will always associate with the hardware, which they don't support anymore. So while I love the name, I don't know how much it fits. I guess if it means they'll be taking the circle "Neo Geo" logo with the faces off their building, that will be sad...

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
If they would have gone with SNK Neo Geo then people would bitch about them defacing the name and crap anyway. Don't act like people will actually be happy about something they do.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
kanakura said:
SNK NeoGeo Consumer Corporation is now SNK Playmore USA

:crying: Please don't let it be true. What a horrible name.
Cant they just call themselves SNK Neo geo USA and get it over with.
No "playmore" no "consumer corp" none of that stupid unneccesary shit.

SouthtownKid said:
I don't know... When I hear "Playmore" I think of KOF '01 and KOF '02 before anything else -- two games I like very much. So the Playmore name has good associations for me.

"Neo Geo", I will always associate with the hardware, which they don't support anymore. So while I love the name, I don't know how much it fits. I guess if it means they'll be taking the circle "Neo Geo" logo with the faces off their building, that will be sad...

And what do you think a casuall gamer will find more familiarity with: "Playmore" or "Neo Geo"? Playmore is nothing. The NEO GEO and SNK names are where the familiarity, history and memories lie.
I rest my case.

OmegaSaber said:
If they would have gone with SNK Neo Geo then people would bitch about them defacing the name and crap anyway. Don't act like people will actually be happy about something they do.

Bah, bullshit. They change the name to SNK Neo Geo and many more will be happy, including myself. Not to mention the fact that it will get more recognition.

Last edited:

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
One trademark is always better then 2 or 3, IMHO.

They could take the Playmore name out and just use SNK, but it's good if it remains there, so we will never forget thta simple isn't the same thing :kekeke:

kanji

Mega Shock!!
Well, I love Playmore, and love everything they do.

They make me feel sexy!