KOF 10th anniversary site update.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Japanese site that is.

Anyways, they just posted an interview with Nona, and being Japanese impaired, I can't tell what it says. If anyone could post a brief translation, it'd be much appreciated.

Also, Nona provided a new piece of artwork featuring Ash, which looks like it belongs in some sort of uber fucked up horror novel. He looks 50 million times more evil there than anywhere in KOF '03 or Falcoon's drawings. Personally, I think it would be pretty badass if they were the promo art for KOF like that, and make the game just as equally dark. Make it a KOF for the ages where the shit really, seriously, and totally hits the fan.

nonaka.jpg

There's also an interview featuring C.A.C. Yamasaki, who I believe is one of SNK's leading sprite artists. Again, can't read anything he says, but there's a completely awesome high-res sprite job featuring the original Orochi battle. Shame Orochi didn't look like that in KOF '97. :\

yamasaki.jpg

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Fygee said:
Also, Nona provided a new piece of artwork featuring Ash, which looks like it belongs in some sort of uber fucked up horror novel. He looks 50 million times more evil there than anywhere in KOF '03 or Falcoon's drawings.

nonaka.jpg
Looks like Ashley Wood style. Awesome. Or that 30 Days of Night guy (who apes Wood). Somebody's been reading american comics.

Celes

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Fygee said:
There's also an interview featuring C.A.C. Yamasaki, who I believe is one of SNK's leading sprite artists. Again, can't read anything he says, but there's a completely awesome high-res sprite job featuring the original Orochi battle. Shame Orochi didn't look like that in KOF '97. :\

yamasaki.jpg

Absolutely wonderful. Now that's how Kyo and Iori should look like. I would love to see a KoF97 remake looking like that.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I love the sprites but Ash looks drunk and stuffed up in the nose. His face is too goofy to be menacing. And I love Falcoons depiction of Ash's "fancy" style. Ah well just my opinion.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Below is the Nona translation. I'm making the bare bones translation because it takes a while, but I think you'll get the gist of 95% of the interview:

Nona Interview:

Q: Please tell us how you came by your name [Nona].
A: I made it up from my own name in a way that was easy to remember.

Q: Well then, please tell us which KOF series (now on referred to as series) you worked on.
A: 2001, 2002.

Q: Although numerous characters make their appearances, how long does it take you to draw 1 character?
A: The approval process for the rough draft of character poses could take quite a while, but once approved, the whole body of one character takes 1 and a half days, and bust shots do not require a whole day of work.

Q: Are there characters that you wished would make an appearance but didn't? If so, please tell us, and from which series the character originates.
A: Jubei Yamada. I always push for his appearance though. (^_^; )

Q: Which character of the series senario do you like?
A: Because I'm looking forward to the series unfold, it's Ash.

Q: Is there a character that you thought, 'This one has character, individuality!' Which part of the character did you think was very unique?
A: Hinako. A beautiful girl doing "Sumo" was too amusing, thought I.

Continued in next post.... (I'm afraid there's some kind of character limit to this post)

Last edited:

Dio_Brando

Edo Express Delivery Guy
LOL High-res sucks! I want that image in pixelated Neo-Geo style! It will only have personality like that!!!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
bokmeow said:
Below is the Nona translation.
Q: Are there characters that you wished would make an appearance but didn't? If so, please tell us, and from which series the character originates.
A: Jubei Yamada. I always push for his appearance though. (^_^;)
It's funny, but Falcoon said something similar in his interview. Hopefully, with both of them pushing for Jubei's return... I won't give up hope...

bokmeow

Nona inteview continued from previous post...

Q: I think there are top tier/bottom tier characters, but what are yours?
A: I'm terrible with Robert...right. My best characters are Choi and Chan. (Laughs)
Isn't it right that there aren't any characters that can trump this duo?

Q: Let's step away from characters...
Given the task of handling a series, what was your most difficult moment?

A: Because I had to draw 40 bodies, the task of having to touchup the first and the last sketches next to each other was probably the most difficult one.

Q: After handling the series, tell us what you thought was rewarding from the experience, if any.
A: Good or bad, my name has now become noticed in the world.

Q: At this point, I think you can say it. Was there ever a moment when you wanted to just blurt out, "Honestly, give me a break!" (Laugh)
A: The, the schedule..... (^_^; ) Right in the middle of the development of 2001, I was ordered to draw! So, every day I would draw up until 4, 5 in the morning.

Q: When you draw CG, what are things to lookout for? Furthermore, how is it different from hand drawing?
A: To diligently save! As well as to not overdraw.

Q: Which do you like best, CG Drawing and hand drawing?
A: There are benefits of drawing on paper, and there are benefits of drawing CG. When I get tired of drawing CG, I draw on paper. Perhaps it's because I get tired of doing touchup changes? (Laugh)

Q: When you do hand drawings, what are your favorite tools?
A: Lately it's watercolor. I draw with pencil then paint [with watercolor].

Q: Do you do graffitti? And what kind?
A: Once work takes up my time I can't do graffitti anymore you know. After I'm done with work I do draw original pieces or popular pieces though.

Q: Although you can't just abandon your embraced work right now, if you were able to, anything you'd like to do?
A: Travel. I want to travel Asia...Thailand or Vietnam and others.

Q: Could you have predicted the popularity of the KOF series at the very beginning? If you did, or didn't, please tell us why.
A: The game center where the game was being location tested had a huge number of people lining up before the store opened. Before one knew it, it became extremely popular, you know.

Q: Regarding the KOF series, what kind of expectations are you looking forward to?
A: How does the new chapter unfold? Extremely looking forward to that.

Nona Bio will follow in the next post...

Last edited:

bokmeow

Nona's Bio

Current Work:
New KOF Installments

Machine Used:
Windows 98
HDD 40GB 256 MB

Favorite Softward:
Painter 6

Treasured Keepsakes/Important Things:
*Work: Motivation
*Private: Time (Wind down), casual lifestyle

Advice to aspiring professional artists:
Those able to turn "that" (I'm assuming he means hobby) into disciplined professional work, work hard and diligently.

KOF to Nona is:
Work.

THE END.

Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

Mega Shock!!
hm...maybe thats how the new KOF sprites will look for the new Atomiswave (what should have been 2004)........naaah .......*smells neowave 2 cooking up*.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Has SNKP ever released a Desktop image of that 10th anniversary logo? Id really like a High-Res version for a shockbox-set idea.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Who's Kamada? Never heard of it.

Also, why are so many of them using old, shitty Win 98 computers? Kamada only has a 6 gig HD! o_O