How to get Digital Audio on MVS

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
I working on a consolized 2 slot and am curious about adding a digital audio output. How can this be done? I know you guys can help me. Everybody helped out a lot on my earlier Power Supply question. Show me your wisdom!

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
Yes! Exactly! Why nou? I am putting in a Unibios, composite video, s-video, component video, analog stereo sound, so why not put in digital audio. I guess I am anal that way. I don't even have a way to hook it up yet. But I want it. The End. Ha.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The actual sound proccesor is the YM 2610 (working along side the Z80)
The PCM outputs have two channels to the YM 3016 DAC, you could tap of there to experiment, but its not going to be a simple combined digital out that can be plug/play to a digital amp.
A project I started and never yet completed is a schem from the cart to speakers, I have the pin outs, will let you know as soon as I find them.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I was under the impression that the Neo chips do not output anything that could be ripped to digital soud....

Besides, I don't think that it would be an improvement, especialy with downsampled music/sounds in some games.

Just because something is digital, doesn't mean that it is superior. ESPECIALY when you are talking about audiophile sound.

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
Thanks for your input. I have seen pictures from Jeff Kurtz of a AES Neo with coax and Toslink Digital outs, so that leads me to believe it is possible. Anyway, if anyone finds anything out, let me know. Thanks again!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I beleive that Kurtz's digital Audio OUt is an encoder from the analog.... Maybe he gets it off the chips. But Either way, It's taken from an analog source. It's more for conveince than quality...

I beleive this is the case. Correct me If I am wrong Jeff.

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
If were to come straight from the chips it would definitely be better. If it comes from the analog outputs and is then encoded it would be slightly worse.

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
I figured it is encoded, but I am really only interested in adding it for the convenience.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Yes, it is more of a convenience. Keep in mind that the Neo does not support 5.1 positional audio. This is mearly a way to connect your Neo up via a digital connection, but no matter what you do, it's still a stereo signal.

Jeff

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
Do you think there's a way to get a digital output directly from the PCB without having to re-encode the analog outputs? It's been done for SNES and Gamecube. And even though it's still stereo, I'm 100% sure the DAC in my receiver is better than the DAC's on the NeoGeo boards ;)