bomberman cart question

bconner

Kula's Candy
Every once in a blue moon my Neo Bomberman cart starts creating visual artifacts.

The contacts are clean, cleaning them more didn't seem to help. After a lot of taking it in and out, and changing slots it stops doing it.

Last thing I did before it started working properly again, was blast canned air through the air vents in the cart case.

Questions:

Is this game more prone to these problems? Or is mine going out on me?

Do you think that blowing air through the cart helped get rid of some sort of static charge on the circuits?

Any recommendations on how to prevent the problem?

Thanks!

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Questions..
What cleaning methods did you use..?

Try some fine grain sand paper -Cleaning each carts connector until it shines...(dry Scotch Brite works too but it's more work)
Then use Contact cleaner to get off all the dirt and residue.

Is the Cart Legit..?is Original..?..Any EPROMS/Flash Roms.

You may need to give your Motherboards connectors a good cleaning..
Though it works with other carts fine it may just not be making a good connection with this cart.

What motherboard do you have?

Does the cart pcbs shake,wobble slightly when you shake the cart.
I've seen carts pcbs get warped when they weren't in the case correctly.(no wobble)
If the screws are tightening down on a pcb it'll warp it and though the cart may turn on certain parts of the carts pcbs will not be making a good contact with the motherboards connectors.

bconner

Kula's Candy
what I did

cleaned cart with rubber eraser followed by q-tips w/91% alcohol.

contacts look very clean.

issue started this time when I pulled it out to test some new carts I bought.

it also happened a long time ago when I first got the cart.

like I said, I'm not really sure what exactly fixes it, it starts working correctly after a lot of fiddling, cleaning, changing slots...fix seems random, but issue seems to be caused by removal from slot.

cart looks legit to me and has serial number, but I'm not an expert.
case is clear plastic and there are some chips that look like they might be erasable with UV light. It does not look homemade to me.
I'm guessing someone making a boot would try to hide the fact by not using a see through case?

I'd send you pictures, but I'm afraid to remove it again.
Although I've removed it in the past with no trouble.

I have a 4 slot board.

cart does not rattle to my memory, I don't recall any signs of warping.

how do recommend I clean MB slots?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
bconner said:
cleaned cart with rubber eraser followed by q-tips w/91% alcohol.

contacts look very clean.

issue started this time when I pulled it out to test some new carts I bought.

it also happened a long time ago when I first got the cart.

like I said, I'm not really sure what exactly fixes it, it starts working correctly after a lot of fiddling, cleaning, changing slots...fix seems random, but issue seems to be caused by removal from slot.

cart looks legit to me and has serial number, but I'm not an expert.
case is clear plastic and there are some chips that look like they might be erasable with UV light. It does not look homemade to me.
I'm guessing someone making a boot would try to hide the fact by not using a see through case?

I'd send you pictures, but I'm afraid to remove it again.
Although I've removed it in the past with no trouble.

I have a 4 slot board.

cart does not rattle to my memory, I don't recall any signs of warping.

how do recommend I clean MB slots?

Most likely when you (pulled it out to test some new carts I bought.)
Those carts made the motherboards connectors dirty..

Cleaning the Motherboards connectors should solve the problem..

I use a the fine end of a cardboard nail fine to clean each connector then contact cleaner to get off the excess dirt and residue..(It's timely but efficient)
Using other methods just doesn't work for me....At least not long enough..

The legit Neo Bomberman carts don't come in clear cases..Plus they are solid chipped..
I'd say one EPROM(chips erasable with UV light)could be a repair..but more then one on a Neo Bomberman then it's a boot ........sorry to say... :(
How's the soldering look on the bottom side of the carts pcbs....?

I have a Neo Bomberman boot with EPROMS..It's in a clear Blue case..The game itself works fine but it'll reset a cab after the second demo loop.
This cart does not sit in the case correctly(no wobble)..
When I got it...(It had no wobble)the screws were not fully tightened.
If I tighten down the screws,the case tightens down on the pcbs and warps them making the game give me graphical issues when inserted into a motherboard.
... I had to do some slight modifications to the inside of the case to stop this from happening plus to be able to fully tighten down the screws..(now I have slight wobble)
I don't use this cart,I don't need to..but I'm afraid it's going to pop one of my motherboards with that resetting..

I also have a Original Neo Bomberman..with Solid chips ..Black Case Japanese Label.

The Neo Bomberman cart not being legit could be causing problems......Though I think it's just a dirty mobo connector issue..

bconner

Kula's Candy
hmmmmm

Ok, maybe it is a boot. Oh well....I guess I can buy a replacement if it ever goes out on me.

If I ever have an oportunity to take picture of the cart I'll let you know.

Didn't notice the soldering.

But if it is a boot it's very well made, not like the typical pics I see of them on the forum.

Thanks for all the advise!