What do you rate Neo-geo's Genres at?

NeoZero

New Challenger
What would you rate each genre of Neo-Geo? For example, What genres do you think have awesome games for the Neo-Geo and which have crappy games for it. Heres what I think..

Fighting- 10 out of 10! The Neo-Geo has the best fighters of any system in my personal opinion!

Shooter- 9.5 out of 10! The few shooters available for this system are GREAT! Some of the real good ones include, Blazing Star, and Last Resort.

Action- 10 out of 10! Two Words: Metal Slug. Metal Slug is the best action game I have ever played!

Sports- 6 out of 10 Yes this system does lack some good sports games but it has Baseball Stars and Ultimate 11, which are good enough to satisfy my sports hunger!

Role-Playing- 1 out of 10 The only thing that I wish the system HAD!!! The only Role-Playing game I know exists for Neo-Geo is Samurai Spirits RPG, and thats CD System only! Its just too bad because RPGS can be great...

First-Person Shooters- 7 out of 10 This are the DOOM style viewing games I am refering to. It has some neat old stuff mainly, like Super Spy, and Crossed Swords!

Quiz Games- ? out of 10 Errrr... I dont really know anything about these games except they are Japanese Only!

Well I probably forgot a genre or two so go ahead and fill in for me! Overall, the NEOGEO is the perfect SYSTEM, for us NEOFREAKS, but not the GENERAL GAMING AUDIENCE. It has the best Fighters, Shooters, and Action games that I have played, so the Neo-Geo gets an A+ in my book!

Visit my webpage! www.neogeoparadise.homestead.com

See ya Around!

-NeoZero

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I would rate them all 10/10 except for the RPG's and Sports. Neo Geo Cup 98 is a really good game even if you hate soccer its still fun.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Fighting: 8/10 The Neo has incredible fighters, but also many disappointments or weird ones.

Shooters: 9.5/10 Aero Fighters 2, Blazing Star, S1945+, Pulstar, Alpha Mission 2, PI2.... there is hardly a complaint to be had!

Action: 8.5 or 9 Some of the older ones were great, some were caca. The newer they got, the drastically better.

Sports: 7/10 Street Hoop, Neo Turf Masters & some football games are great, but there are many poor games, most of which I've played only once.

Role Playing: 6/10 Quest of Jongmaster is pretty fun, but I haven't played or seen SSRPG.

First Person Games: 10! (but that's if Crossed Swords is the only applicant! Haven't played CS2)

Quiz: 7.5 Even if you know only a little Japanese (like me), they can still be enjoyable, like Quiz KoF or Chibi Maruko-chan Deluxe Quiz.

Racing: 6.5 I liked them a lot personally, but they were far too uncommon, short, and "middle-of-the-pack." Neo DriftOut is pretty good, but again too short, and a bit easy.

Puzzle: 9.5 Magical Drop 2 & 3, Bust A Move, Pop'n Bounce... they were addictive like crack! But then there was plop like Puzzle de Pon! & R

I guess that's why many of us have "supplementary" systems to go with the Neo. Not truly perfect, but pretty close, and all while having far fewer games than most other systems. Quality first, no?

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Fighting: 10/10 I think as far as fighting games go, the Neo Geo is hands down THE best system.

Action: 7/10 Sure, the Metal Slug series kicks so much ass it ain't even funny, and Magician Lord was the game that sold me on the system years ago. Sadly though, this genre could've been explored so much more over the years. I was disappointed with Blues Journey, and no sequel to Magician Lord kinda' hurt this category for me.

Shooters: 9/10 There's no denying that shooters on the Neo Geo kick ass. The only reason why I didn't score it a 10 is because my all-time favorite shooter is on the Turbo (Lords of Thunder), and the fact that there aren't as many shooters that there SHOULD be.

Scrolling Beat-em'-Ups: 9.5/10 Again, the only reason why this didn't score higher (making a perfect score)is because my favorite game of this genre is on the Genesis (Streets of Rage 2).

RPG's: 5/10 And that's only because SSRPG is so beautifully drawn, making it the best looking 2D RPG in existence. This category could've really shined if we'd get some RPG's like Phantasy Star, Shining Force or Cosmic Fantasy.

Now, the question is, what genre would the first King of the Monsters fit into? That's a game every Neo Geo player should own in my book...

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Hey man you forgot to mention Shock Troopers 2 in the action category. That game is so damn fun.

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Oh yeah, I can't forget about Puzzle games.

10/10

Magical Drop II-The first and only puzzle game that has dethroned the almighty Puyo Puyo series for me is on this system. I can just imagine how awesome part 3 is. This game is total addiction, so naturally I'd think very highly of the Neo Geo in the category, but there's also: Pop-n-Bounce, the Bust-a-Move's, Puzzle De Pon, and Panic Bomber, all great games too!

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
I haven't played Shock Troopers 2...

I've heard a lot of good things about it though. I just figured I'd talk about the games I knew about.

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
You gotta try Shock Troopers 2. It rocks, its like Metal Slug but instead of side scrolling you have more freedom to move around. Definitely one of my favorite Neo games.

Robi15

20 Year Member
As far as 2D fighting games, I think Neo is beond 10/10.
smile.gif

Neo is the ultimate 2D game console.
So allmost all the genres are 10/10. Neo, as we know don't have any RPG, so no judgment there.

Even 2D games releaced to DC,(KOF'99),are not as sharp as they are on Neo.

Robi15

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
yeah 3d effects they tried to use on the Dreamcast version just don't go to well with the game. Also the music cuts out.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
I think King of the Monsters can go in a separate category all of its own: Ultimate 2-player games. Pop it in, get a friend or two and proceed to incredible gaming enjoyment, esp. in tag-team mode. Otherwise, I don't know, group it with 3 Count Bout & call them both wrestling? I can't comment too much on 3CB, as I hate the game enough that I haven't played beyond level 2.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
In my opninon. Fighting is definetly top notch. Followed by Shooters, action, puzzle sports,and role-playing.

I don't consired Quest of jong master as as rpg, not a true one at least. I thought about that as a strategy game-being mahjong and all-like Final Romance 2 and Mahjong story. But, it is indeed a funny game.

NeoZero

New Challenger
What would have been neat is if they would have made a Magican Lord RPG game! Or even a KOF RPG. (set in present day) But if you examine the Neogeos controller, it doesnt exactly look like an RPG controller either!
wink.gif

-NeoZero

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Ah so what? Who cares what the thing looks like, there are always CD joypads if that makes all the difference. Although, with the joystick you could input special commands (fireballl..) in fights quite easily.

One thing that comes to mind is that an RPG with say Kyo & co. would have to be intensive in some way other than fighting (like a traditional RPG) because it would be kind of weird, to get into hundreds of fights, almost entirely with total strangers. Maybe something along the lines of Snatcher or Policenaughts?

NeoZero

New Challenger
Yeah, I hear you, but they could have like thugs or trash talkers... (cough.. cough.. Dion.. cough...) for random fights. I wish i was a Video Game Designer, so i could take my ideas and make a killer game. Would be neat is if in Kof RPG or whatever you want to call it, as you progress in the game there would be fighting tournaments where the gameplay would be like the KOF fighting games, and depending on how good you do in the tournaments, that would determine which ending you see! Just a thought that wont ever happen though....

-NeoZero