Should I get a Neo-Geo CD system?

ScoobyDoo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Is it worth buying a CD system to go with my AES? I have been thinking about it as I know that there are quite a few games which are easier to get hold of on CD than on cartridge.

How bad is the loading time? I've heard that it's pretty slow on fighting games, but I'll probably stick to the AES for those.

Also can anyone give me a rough price for the original Neo-Geo CD (new or used), to help my decision.

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
Most Neogeo US CD Systems sell anywhere between $150 - $300 depending on their condition ($300 would be mint with box).

It may be worth to buy one if you are on a budget and don't want to shell out the big bucks for home carts. The loading delays are annoying, but they aren't that bad. I owned a Neogeo CD for about 4 years and I was very happy with it.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Don't forget that there are also the CD-only games like Crossed Swords 2, Joint Link etc. in addition to all the other games that went straight from MVS->CD, like Bust 'A Move, which would cost you a fortune in converted carts. If you don't mind the re-mixed music then you will probably be happy with one, as you say you keep fighters for the cart system.

There are also a few special versions of Neo CD games, like the Art of Fighting 3 "box set," which are kind of neat to have, even if you don't have a Neo·Geo CD.

NeoZero

New Challenger
I recommend SUPER SELLERS because they have a CD System Sale going on right now, and I also recommend Shawn! Do worry about overseas transactions, because Super Sellers is highly reliable, and their items are usually in really good shape! I dont recommend buying a CD-Z System because they tend to break down easily. Just buy a regular CD System with the 6 games deal from Super Sellers. Its a real nice deal!
smile.gif

Check Shawns links section for Super Sellers URL.

Hope this helps you,

-NeoZero

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I would not get a CD system. If you hate load times like I do then I would stick with the Cart system. Besides for the price of a CD system and some games you could get 2-3 rare Cart games.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
To me, it maybe good to get a cd system to complement your Cart system. Super Sellers are fairly cheap, but that doesn't include the shiping. They charge a bit high-50 dollars for a single system, I think. Here are the good/bad disavantages in my opninon:

Good:
-Cheap games
-Only for Neo Geo cd or MVSgames (Cross Swords
2, Iron Clad/Brikinger, Final Romance 2,
Zintrix? ADK world, Neo Geo special, and
such...
-Remixed sound
-Extra bonus (art gallery, quiz, demo/ save
view, chr files etc.)

Bad:
-loading time (CDZ is better)
-Reliability (Cart system is more durable.
I heard that many cd system's lens get burned
out. From my experience, Neo cd is more
durable than the CDZ. In fact, the cd
systemhaven't given me any trouble at all).

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Hey Gambit, just curious, have you attached a picture of a Neo CD to your dart board yet?
rolleyes.gif

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
If I could get it to stay
smile.gif
That thing is just way to slow for my liking. SNK should have made it at least a double speed CD rom, one speed is just unexcusable. I don't hate it I just feel the Cart system is alot better and since I have had both systems I was just giving my input.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Well we all know who to blame for the cancellation of the double-speed unit, don't we? And all because we in the West "weren't allowed" to have something better than what the Japanese were getting.

What rubbish, but that's just how it goes...

ScoobyDoo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks guys, I think I'll probably get a CD system in a couple of months when I've got a few more carts (only got my Neo about 6 weeks ago so my game collection is a bit thin). One other question, is it possible to get hold of Ironclad on CD (by this I mean how hard is it to find), and is it any good?

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
It's the most expensive cd game in my opinion. I have played it. It's good, but not good as Pulstar which is also available in the cd format. I even prefer Aero Fighters 2 over it. In ebay, I think it goes around for $150-$175+. I saw that the Supersellers were trying to sell if for $250!

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
I actually do recommend NGCD as a second system, as far as loading time, only a few games are considered absolutely atrocious, such as:

Last Blade
Last Blade 2
KOF 98
Real Bout 2

Remember that the following games are only available on NGCD:

Zintricks
Cross Sword 2
Samurai RPG
Final Romance 2
Brikinger
ADK World
Neo-Geo CD Special
KOF 96 Special Edition

Also if you don't have MVS system, you'll need NGCD to play those games:

Futsal
Neo Drifout
Power Spikes
Puzzle Bobble (Bust A Move)
Quest of Jong Masters

Overall, I'd say the system is OK if you just want to get the earlier, lower meg games, like 200 megs or less.

C

Cyber carty53

Zintriks?

I've never heard of that one.Amy info?

You have gotta love the controllers for
the Neo cd.All the KOF games play like a dream with it.

And yes,Metal slug 2 is very irrating ont hat sytem,especially on the train level.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
You are right. I just got the game. The game play is not good as Tetris/Magical Drop in my opinion, but it is one of the funnier puzzle games that I have played.