Sound Problems with an NGH system and SS2?

johnroche

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
I was placing a SS2 cart into my Korean NGH tonight, and I heard a weird "crack" sound as I tried to seat it in. I had the system at a bit of an angle at the time, but I managed to get the cart in. However, when I tried to play the game, I didn't get any sound from the game. Does anyone know what would cause this problem, and how I could go about fixing it?

johnroche

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
omnedon said:
Is it modded for stereo by any chance?
As a matter of fact, it is.

But it didn't seem to work from the stereo jacks or the mono from the AV plug. However, I tried another AV connection and it just seemed to play random voice clips. So, I'm not sure what that means, but it's a little weird. Unfortunately, it's the only game I have, so I can't really test whether it's that game or the system.

seiken2099

Quiz Detective
Probably better off picking up a loose cart in gamer condition for around $20 as a test cart. Hopefully that "crack" was the SS2 cart and not the system. :spock:

omnedon

Astra Superstar
I asked about the modded, because if the audio mod is routed carelessly, a cart insertion could sever the audio mod wires under the cart slot. That would kill your sound, and conceivably make odd shorts.

Anyone have any experince with the audio chip in the AES? Are the prone to failure at all? If so, what is the common issue, loose solder joints, or IC failure?

johnroche

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
omnedon said:
I asked about the modded, because if the audio mod is routed carelessly, a cart insertion could sever the audio mod wires under the cart slot. That would kill your sound, and conceivably make odd shorts.

Anyone have any experince with the audio chip in the AES? Are the prone to failure at all? If so, what is the common issue, loose solder joints, or IC failure?
Well, I got the mod about two or three years back. Then again, I didn't hear a "crack" before.

That said, I've been using the mono audio from the AV connector, and I still get the no-sound. How much would this typically cost to fix (parts/labor) and how easy would it be to do it?

omnedon

Astra Superstar
To be honest I'm not sure. JMKurtz may know off the top of his head. I'm learning about the Neo. JMKurtz 'knows' about the Neo. :D

I have a spare AES right now that has odd sound issues. Mostly no sound, but occasional sound effects. (It's not modded). I haven't turned a screw on it yet, but the first things I will check when I get into it are the solder joints around the sound chip (anyone know it's name off hand- a Yamaha right?), and failing that, I have a spare parts AES board that can donate it's sound chip to the cause.

That's why I asked earlier (to the forum at large) if the sound chip fails often, and if so, how. The answer may help both of us. :D

johnroche

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
Well, I had been waiting on an SVC Chaos homecart (my wanting this had nothing to do with any sort of "diagnostics," btw), and it seems to have the same no-sound problem. I guess something's wrong with the machine. It works fine otherwise, though. So... is there any place that I can go to get this checked out?