New KOF: MI review

firebomber

Astra Superstar
I really wish people would say what these "infinites" are. It seems like everytime I read something about MI someone complains about the large number of infinites. As far as I know there is only one with Maxima. Everything else can be recovery rolled out of or breaks at the 10 hit juggle limit.

justdefend

Quiz Detective
Well, another is Terry's power dunk. You can do it all the way across the field when someone is knocked down. It lifts them off the ground, hits them back down, and then repeat. I was able to do 17 hits with it and it's pretty much inescapable.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
justdefend said:
Well, another is Terry's power dunk. You can do it all the way across the field when someone is knocked down. It lifts them off the ground, hits them back down, and then repeat. I was able to do 17 hits with it and it's pretty much inescapable.

Wouldn't you be able to side roll and escape it while on the ground?

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
This game gets alot of hate, but I recently played it and its a decently competitive 3D fighter. Not worth dismissing till you've sat down with it.

firebomber

Astra Superstar
If you go into practice and change the guard settings you can make it so the cpu recovery rolls as early as possible. If you try combos under these settings, you'll be hard pressed to find anything that's not rollable.

SwordPlay

Crossed Swords Squire
There's a ton of really high-damaging combo scenerios, but I've yet to find a character with a true "infinite."

It seemed that the game was filled with infinites and cheese early on before I got the chance to play it, but once I got into it, I found that you can roll away from pretty much anything -- which is great because the game isn't nearly as buggy as it originally looked to be.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
The Legendary LoneWolf said:
Crap story line n crap endings, I guess at least I got the Terry cap n the LTD edition

Quite true, but judging the game on that alone is quite silly.

Anyways, yes, fall recovery, rolls, and sidesteps are your best friends.

Cassidy

n00b
I bought the special edition a week ago, and only just got down to playing it. It isn't KOF 2-D, for sure, but overall, I think it is a decent beat-em-up that might introduce a wider fan base to KOF, and that is always a good thing. It doesn't even come close to the premier 3-D fighters out there now, but for a first try, I think it is pretty good.

Besides that, we all know we would have paid the money just for the hat. Now, to complete the costume before Halloween.

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
Fygee said:
Quite true, but judging the game on that alone is quite silly.

Anyways, yes, fall recovery, rolls, and sidesteps are your best friends.

Well I bought it cause I thought it would have the story of KOF 97 and the endings

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
The Legendary LoneWolf said:
Well I bought it cause I thought it would have the story of KOF 97 and the endings

No idea where you got the idea it would have that, but nope.

It should be noted that quite a lot of the story was censored/cut from the US version, so if you want something with more story, import the Japanese one, or wait and see what happens with the X-Box version in Europe.

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
From what my source told me, those parts of the story weren't necessarily censored. They were just never used.

Anyways, this being the first KOF I played I think it's pretty decent as well. A 3d fighter that plays like a 2d fighter for once.

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
Fygee said:
No idea where you got the idea it would have that, but nope.

It should be noted that quite a lot of the story was censored/cut from the US version, so if you want something with more story, import the Japanese one, or wait and see what happens with the X-Box version in Europe.

I'd have to disagree with this too. I think when other people scanned the game with PSSound, they just didn't know a lot of the sounds actually existed in game. As a reminder:

Both Languages have a recording of Athena's "showtime" however it's not in the game (think about it, loading a different 3D model instantly for each hit, wouldn't be possible with the PS2 hardware.

Someone I saw mentioned that Kyo had a winquote against Iori saying "You're a bunch of methane Yagami", but it IS in Game just beat Iori with Kyo in Story mode (not Vs)

Yuri seemes to have samples for her "ShunGoku Satsu" move

One odd thing and I don't have the Japanese version to check, is English Kyo has a few extra lines in his ending cut, where he calls Yuki saying "Hi Yuki...YEAH I'm sorry" (it actually sounds pretty funny and then there's a Japanese sample with it that's obviously Yuki (it sounds like it's coming out of a phone) But unless there's some crazy requirements to see it or something (I thought I heard someone say there's a "real" ending to the game) that was definetely cut.

I really should get the Japanese version to compare.