TIPS & TRICKS Mag NOV ISSUE: SVC Chaos (XBOX) Strat Guide

Freelancer

Banned
Much like they did for the original Neo Geo arcade version back in October 2003, there's a nice 6-page character rankings guide in the current issue (Issue 117: November 2004) for the XBOX PORT of SVC.

The bulk of the article groups the various characters into various tiers and interestingly enough, they note 4 "arcade to XBOX" differences (which solidifies my dislike of ports). Interesting reading for those who enjoy the game. It's written by Jason Wilson, which is reassuring since he actually knows what he's talking about when it comes to fighters!

Freelancer

Banned
Interestingly, reference is made to the Neo Geo AES cart version under Shin Akuma's profile. Mostly to the effect of him being usable on the cart version vs. the arcade.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
what are the differences between the port and arcade version they list?

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
must not be hard to reprint the same start they used for the arcade last year hmm

Freelancer

Banned
OrochiEddie said:
must not be hard to reprint the same start they used for the arcade last year hmm

It's not really the same. The October 2003 issue focused more on each character's special move commands.

The Nov 2004 issue groups each fighter into top/middle/bottom tiers for those who are interested in playing competitively, along with some general data on any major strengths or weaknesses of a given character.

Freelancer

Banned
pixeljunkie said:
what are the differences between the port and arcade version they list?

1. Kyo can no longer juggle his opponent with an Improved Style 75 into a Repressed Serpent of the Kusanagi 108 Super Special Move.

2. Earthquake's Fat Burst with light punch only lasts 2 seconds instead of 3. The Fat Burst with Heavy punch lasts five seconds instead of 6.

3. Geese's infinite combo limited to 4 successive hits.

4. Timing of Zero's infinite must be done extra early while in the air.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Freelancer said:
1. Kyo can no longer juggle his opponent with an Improved Style 75 into a Repressed Serpent of the Kusanagi 108 Super Special Move.

2. Earthquake's Fat Burst with light punch only lasts 2 seconds instead of 3. The Fat Burst with Heavy punch lasts five seconds instead of 6.

3. Geese's infinite combo limited to 4 successive hits.

4. Timing of Zero's infinite must be done extra early while in the air.

So they improved its playability and you don't like ports for that?

Freelancer

Banned
lithy said:
So they improved its playability and you don't like ports for that?

Meh. I'm a purist.
I like my games as close to the source material as possible. It would have been nice for SNKP to include an arcade original and modified version of SVC on the same disc, but whatever.

I bought the port last night anyway (mostly on principle), so SNKP has my support.

G-Product

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Some of the tiers however are fucked up, Shiki botto mtier? Terry top middle tier? WTF?!?! Thye say Goenitz is to ptier but act like he sux!

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
You can almost edge Terry out of top tier by extreme abuse of the guard dash versus his deadly 2-hit C combos, but I have no idea how you can put Shiki on the botton tier. Without her command throw she'd be bottom tier, but with it is a different story.

Edit: Now that I think about it, having the bosses involved is what messed up that list. Yes, every boss in the game except Dan gets the top tier, then the usual top tier is mid tier and the mid tier is bottom. Anyone who treats the hidden bosses as serious characters is clueless anyway. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

firebomber

Astra Superstar
Shiki is low-mid to bottom tier. Why? Because every one of her normals is absolute GCFS bait. The move she relies on the most for comboing (f+A, A, A, A) is incredibly easy to GCFS if blocked and that makes it extremely risky to use. Because of this she has no reliable way to deal damage against someone who is good at GCFS.

l337kunio

n00b
I remember reading somewhere that if you play the game in English there's less blood than if you play it in Japanese. That really makes no sense, so I'm wondering if I just dreamed it or mis-read something or what.

S

Simbob4000

you could have read it somewhere, I have seen people say that before the game came out, I think because the demo had no blood. But in the full game their is the same blood of both the only thing that happens when you play it in Japanese is the text is in Japanese and characters have there real names.

Giancana

n00b
Hate to bump an old thread but I do have to chime in with one major difference between the US and JAP versions...

Mai's bewbies! :make_fac:

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
nice work. ill definetely check it out, im a big fan of the game. ill input my opinion once i get ahold of one copy of the mag...

thanx

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Giancana said:
Hate to bump an old thread but I do have to chime in with one major difference between the US and JAP versions...

whaa?! seriously? Ban pls

+1

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Giancana said:

new account and first post is to bump a 4 year old thread to comment on some sprite titties :lolz:

Alot of that going on lately.

:loco:

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
i did not want to bump this thread...

but was SVC Chaos revisited twice (once in the end of 07 and sometime early in 08)?

and i don't know about the rest of you guys, but i've been having a hard ass time finding tips and tricks magazine.....

I really wanted to check out this issue (or issues?)...

anybody else having shortages on this mag?

Kemps

Crossed Swords Squire
jeff bogard said:
i did not want to bump this thread...

but was SVC Chaos revisited twice (once in the end of 07 and sometime early in 08)?

and i don't know about the rest of you guys, but i've been having a hard ass time finding tips and tricks magazine.....

I really wanted to check out this issue (or issues?)...

anybody else having shortages on this mag?

Apparently, it died. :spock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tips_and_tricks