Snk /Oni-con Tournament Early Report

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Well we were blown away.

we did not expect to get anywhere near 2,000 in attendance for a 1st year convention.

Early numbers show we are at or over 4,000

I ran over 14 tournaments in all with the big finals for kof 2003

here are some quick pics in what I could take or had someone take for me in the time I had.

Prizes.jpg

Awards
con1.jpg

This was taken Sunday
tour1.jpg

Tournament play
tour2.jpg

Tournament play
tour3.jpg

Camino Member placed 2nd in a SVC mini tournament
tour4.jpg

Filming for DVD and tournament play
tour5.jpg

KOF 2003 Winners

more details later I am running on 8 hours of sleep in a 72 hour period.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Damn, i cant believe no one has replied to this thread. All you TEXAS FUCKERS!

where you at bitches!?

anyway........more pics bruno.........

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
well here is some more pics I have.

con2.jpg

Lobby pic

room1.jpg

Naruto 2 was played all weekend long on my 60' philips, I would have put KOF MI on there but I did not have the game.

table1.jpg

another prize table shot

tour6.jpg

more tournament pics

tour8.jpg

another tournament pic

cab1.jpg

my cab setup

well here are some con pics put up on other sites

http://www.fireball20xl.com/gcd/comics.php?id=17

still early there will also be some magazine articles I will let everyone know about as the run up.

I will be helping out kamikaze con as well but I am not one of thier staff heads. just helping out with the game room. My Neo 50 will make another apperence there.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
lol, that link only shows COSPLAY pics!

you should put up a warning!

anyhow, where is Kamikaze Con going to be held?

Brandon St Randy

I was Daigo before that other one, ,
glad to see it was a success Big Bruno. Wish I coulda gone, but looks like Im unable to make it to two cons a year anymore. If im lucky, Ill be able to make it to year 2......

great great setup, I love it.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
actually I did meet some members, maybe there were more that did not announce themselves. to Bad Viceshema could not make it to defend his title ;)

anyway here a scan of the badge I used. I actually had a Staff head badge as well but when I saw the Volunteer badge I asked them to make me one of those to use.

badge.jpg

oh and Kamikaze con is here

http://www.kamikazecon.com/

but again I am more a volunteer with them so I will not be getting sponsors that I only do for Oni-con. I will see if I can get them to give me some prizes. Probably some DVD's and such.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Here are some of the pics nick th fury took

tour01%5b1%5d.jpg

SVC Chaos Toyrnament with Camino

freeplay03%5b1%5d.jpg

Another Tournament pic

tour04%5b1%5d.jpg

another tournament pic

lobby1%5b1%5d.jpg

crowd pic

ddr%5b1%5d.jpg

and of course we had 2 DDR and a Beatmania Machine

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Congrats on a successful event, Phil. Looking forward to more pics and info.

--Chris

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Dash no Chris said:
Congrats on a successful event, Phil. Looking forward to more pics and info.

--Chris

Thanks,

You should have setup a table. Most all our vendors were extermely happy. Some even told us they did better at our Con then at A-kon. with the numbers we were able to get I would even venture to say we are the second biggest con in Texas now and it is only going to Grow :) however looks like under 4,000 now ~3,600 or so. Hard to have a great count since we were printing badges as people came in and we were letting kids in Free. Not bad for our First year.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
on another note

I was actually very happy for the turn out. Thanks to Cocoebiz and Snk-Capcom I had some good prizes to give out. around 11pm or so I put Last Blade 2 on. People saw Hibiki and would run up saying "i did not know this is where Hibiki came from".

See I knew if I ever tried to put on an SNK-only tournament that I would have a low turnout. Lots of people like to say they will show up or support an event and then make a no show. So I figured I would help out with this convention and then do a SNK only tournament and run it for free. Of course latter they made me a staff head. I did get alot of pro players in though to compete. I was so busy in the room doing tournaments I missed all the other events except for checking on the video rooms when needed. Actually one of the owners of stargate asked if I would like to put on some SNK tournaments with them as well. I am thinking about it but again if there is a low turnout why bother. Hopefully though with the large turnout at our con I will get some better sponsors. Next year I would like to do a BC tournament.

I actually got them to play Gal Graffiti in the live action room ;) I wish I had a better copy of the samurai spirits OAV subtitled (the good one)

fatal fury fan #2

Duck King's DJ
well I am glad to hear everything went out as plan. I wish I could have been in the Tournament but hey I got a FREE KIT thanks Big Bruno

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Hey, Phil, would the end of this year's Oni-Con mean that the meetup at your place that was supposed to take place last summer is now in the air?

Looked like a great tournament though. I would've gone but my brother's birthday was that weekend. Oh well.

BTW, I'm glad to see LB2 got some nice respect. When I was at the science fair for my supergun project, the most I got out of it was "This is like a ghetto Guilty Gear X".

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
DanAdamKOF said:
BTW, I'm glad to see LB2 got some nice respect. When I was at the science fair for my supergun project, the most I got out of it was "This is like a ghetto Guilty Gear X".

Please, please tell me you're joking!

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
KagerouSama said:
Please, please tell me you're joking!
No I am not. Most of the people who were at the fair (and played against me) were appreciative and at least a little enthusiastic, but all I overheard about LB2 was the above comment.

On the other hand, the night I was setting up and my brother and I were *cough* testing RB2, it was really cool to see a crowd of 6 or so people saying stuff like "isn't that king of fighters?" "that's terry from the fatal fury cartoon! and billy!" etc.

edit: a little late, but Trey was there? I don't think I'll ever get to meet him...

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Those events are always worth my time !

Too bad I'm too far away :(
I hope I can participate on one of those Spain's or France KOF tourney's though

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
DanAdamKOF said:
Hey, Phil, would the end of this year's Oni-Con mean that the meetup at your place that was supposed to take place last summer is now in the air?

I don't know let me think about it somemore. I have damage control to do (some slight repairs and fixes) and I have another convention in march http://www.kamikazecon.com along with stargate which is doing there texas showdown tournament there. I am also going to japan again.

Next year at Oni-Con I plan on doing a BC tournament. I am also trying to HiJack one of the video rooms to do strickly VideoGame anime showings. Although really the only SNK anime I would show is the Samurai Shodown OAV. Art of fighting would put you to sleep. But I will mix in the Capcom stuff as well as other titles, maybe Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer. This is all still in planing though. maybe will also Blurb the comercials between showings ;)

For Oni-con we had people come in from coast to coast and of course some Out of country vistors. Really we are the 2nd biggest Anime convention in Texas and I will even say ranked in the TOP 10 in the US possible (not sure on all the number of course we would be Number 10 :p ) Not bad for first year though. You count on a 25% growth the next year so we may hit 5k in 2005.

Last edited:
J

jpopjess

Big Bruno said:
Thanks,

You should have setup a table. Most all our vendors were extermely happy. Some even told us they did better at our Con then at A-kon. with the numbers we were able to get I would even venture to say we are the second biggest con in Texas now and it is only going to Grow :) however looks like under 4,000 now ~3,600 or so. Hard to have a great count since we were printing badges as people came in and we were letting kids in Free. Not bad for our First year.

Oni had almost 4,000 people show up? Really? I'm curious as to what method was used to come up with the final number? Was it the AX method, or the Otakon method? The AX method simply counts 3-day passes at "3", whereas the Otakon method counts EACH member as "1", regardless of what kind of pass they bought.

Do you know which method was used?

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I really need to get back into my game and attend these gatherings more often. I'm seriously out of practice.

On another note Bruno it's good to see you around still.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
jpopjess said:
Oni had almost 4,000 people show up? Really? I'm curious as to what method was used to come up with the final number? Was it the AX method, or the Otakon method? The AX method simply counts 3-day passes at "3", whereas the Otakon method counts EACH member as "1", regardless of what kind of pass they bought.

Do you know which method was used?

Well Actually if you check the site Final Number were closer 3K.

Actually we sold out of all the premade badges so we had to start printing badges as people came in. But Our counts were per ticket not per day. we had big boost on friday because schools were doing Field trip to Our Con (who knows why ;) )

anyway I would not say the count is 100% set in stone. truthfully we probably had alot of none paying people as well. we also starting pulling people from the lines to fill in the volunteers since we were severally overwealmed. The hotel we got this year is next to Astroworld though and has about 3x the convention space we so it should be even better, I working on getting a larger Freeplay room setup as well.

Bonuskun,

Yeah I pretty much given up on you. YOu were suppose to help me out with the tournaments if you recal ;)

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
When you have more definite dates for the next Oni-con, lemme know. I've been wanting to plan a trip to Houston for the longest time and that would be the second perfect reason for me to go. The first being to see my dad and stuff. :D

Hell, I'll even see if I can volunteer. Or enter the next KoF tournament...

EDIT: I just saw the dates on the website, and while it cuts close to my usual Yaoicon, I may just chuck that one and come to your con instead. Houston, the Dominochan will return!!

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Big Bruno said:
Bonuskun,

Yeah I pretty much given up on you. YOu were suppose to help me out with the tournaments if you recal ;)

Yeah I know Phil. Sometimes life slaps you around a little and you have to pick things back up. I'll try to get in contact with you and see about touching base again.

I started playing Garou again recently. Jesus h Christ I am sucking at this game now.. ~_~

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
BonusKun said:
I really need to get back into my game and attend these gatherings more often. I'm seriously out of practice.

On another note Bruno it's good to see you around still.

whatever you say bum.