Help w/new TV

matrimelee99

NEST Puppet
I just a bought a new Philips 27" flatscreen TV and I'm having a hard time getting properly calibrated. I tried using the THX Optimizer w/glasses and I've even tried that Digital Video Essentials calibration disc. I've got my dvd player hooked up via component, and movies look great. The problem is with live TV. It looks like shit. I should mention that I have a Tivo, which is hooked up via S-Video. Any advice is appreciated.

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
What do you mean by Live TV?

matrimelee99 said:
I just a bought a new Philips 27" flatscreen TV and I'm having a hard time getting properly calibrated. I tried using the THX Optimizer w/glasses and I've even tried that Digital Video Essentials calibration disc. I've got my dvd player hooked up via component, and movies look great. The problem is with live TV. It looks like shit. I should mention that I have a Tivo, which is hooked up via S-Video. Any advice is appreciated.

eclypse

Banned
matrimelee99 said:

I think he or she means cable tv.. What cable provider do you have?

You can calibrate a TV for a given DVD player but each TV station does its own thing. Your best bet is to get a TV that has independent settings for different inputs.

B

eclypse

Banned
yes mine has independant adjustments for each input.. its a great feature to have.

Also with big screen tvs.. Us high grade cables only.. Any flaws in the connection will really show up on a big screen.

My cable picutre sucks as well.. Ya just gota live with it man.. Differenet stations will come through better then others. I have comcast and i wish i could go Direct Tv with everything digital.

Just make sure to put on the 16x9 HD channel when you have company over.

Oh yeah.. make sure you have proper veiwing distance for this screen.. They say ruffly about 3x4 times the screen width Distance is fine for HD watching but father away when your watchin cable feed.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Yarrr ... that's probably just your cable signal. I'm starting to notice how flawed cable is now that dvd's have become so mainstream. Go with digital cable or Satellite if you can't deal with it.

matrimelee99

NEST Puppet
I have basic cable (Comcast), and you're all correct - the cable feed sucks. Also the TiVo doesn't help any either. I get a better picture when I hook cable up directly to the TV. Unfortunately, S-Video is as good as it gets with TiVo. Oh well, I mostly play games and watch DVD's anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter. I just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong w/my TV.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Cable Is the bigest fucking rip off

I have so called "Digital Cable". I don't pay for it. My girl does. I don't even need cable TV. I can go without watcing TV altogether.

Ok digital cable sure has alot of interference. I find out it's just analog cable with a few special features. Digital My Ass. Also I run my PC's turner card off a VCR. If I am watching a VHS and I connect cable, it causes all sorts of interference on the VCR's output model. WTF?

My dad has satellite... That is a much nicer picture... Sure it goes out for a few minutes about once a month during a storm but that's it. None of this shit where one channel is nice and the rest plain fucking suck.