Samurai Showdown V Special MVS Thread

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Ok, I have been kinda not reading the forums lately. And I really am just confused as to whats the deal with samurai showdown V special MVS? Here is what i understand.

There are only 1000 or so known copies made for the MVS.

Does anyone know how accurate this is?

Any chances they have just not released all of them yet?

It seems like it would be a waste of time and money to release a handful of AES and MVS carts. Which leads me to my next question.

Is there any known announced release date for samurai showdown V special? If so for what systems? Will there be a usa release?

Finally, is there anyway in hell i can find a MVS cart or kit? Is there any known place to buy a kit?

I'm sure all you crazy Neo Geo people can help me out. So thanks :D

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I thought it might've been 1600, but that's still a lot when you think its for Japan only. All the shops that had it are sold out for now, some people have gotten a few and sold them, they go for roughly 500 bucks right now.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
greedostick said:
There are only 1000 or so known copies made for the MVS.

That's what I've heard - and it seems plausible to me.

greedostick said:
Any chances they have just not released all of them yet?

Chances are they've all been released in Japan.

greedostick said:
It seems like it would be a waste of time and money to release a handful of AES and MVS carts. Which leads me to my next question.

Not as big of a waste as if they made a shitload of carts that didn't sell - at least that's what I'm guessing their logic was.

greedostick said:
Is there any known announced release date for samurai showdown V special? If so for what systems? Will there be a usa release?

AES is the only US release I'm aware of - I don't think they're planning on a US MVS release. SNKP had announced that SSVS would be released for the PS2 and Xbox a while back, but I haven't heard anything about it lately.

greedostick said:
Finally, is there anyway in hell i can find a MVS cart or kit? Is there any known place to buy a kit?

Yeah - Division has sold quite a few kits lately, but it looks like they're all gone. The last one is on hold - so you might ask him about it if you're interested.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102741

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
thanks for the help guys.

i seen division was selling them awhile back, but there's no way i can come up with $500 anytime soon. i think i would just rather buy a AES and get the jp version. it's pretty dumb to buy a system for one game though, but that really makes more sense.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The price is definitely not going to HOLD where it is for the MVS version,especially a loose one.. I'm sure copies will be surfacing for reasonable prices in the next two months or so.
By the time you seek out an AES and the JPN version of the game, it's going to cost you approximately 600-700 USD total anyway so "PATIENCE" and "SEARCH" are the key words here.
-BB

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
The thing that gets me is that this has been sold in mass quantity on Yahoo.jp for quite some time now. For much less than 300US, and most of the time closer to 200. Several sellers have had 10 of them at a time on their auctions and relisted additional ones several times. Most are cart and art auctions. I just checked now and it seems that most are gone now, but I have a feeling they will pop back up again.

1000 made, I doubt it, probably more. Even if it was 1000~1600 that still is a pretty good amount of them floating around. More will pop up in Japan, thats for sure. Then maybe people elsewhere will get them at a much cheaper price.

Edit: Case and point:
http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h20808753

Quantity 20....

This guy has sold tons, check his feedback.

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
You opened my eyes and I am glad i did not pay a rediculous some of money for this thing.

Thank you.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
anyone know what the $ to yen conversion is right now?

anyone know a fair place that will bid on yahoo japan auctions for you? all the ones i have seen have been a huge ripoff. i need a yahoo japan go to guy so i can get all that pc engine and mega drive stuff.

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Yea, I am hoping/guessing that this works out similarly to how the SVC carts did. Just a few t3h R4R3 carts selling for a lot early on and then a flood of them resulting in a price drop... :D

1000? I find that very hard to belive. I live is a small Japanese city (60,000 people) and my town has SSVS in 3 of the arcades here. each place has at least 2 carts (so 2 people can play against each other on seperate screens) and the bigger arcade has 4. So that is 8 just in my small town. WIth how many cities are in Japan and the fact that big cities often have entire rows of a new game, 1000 seems too small.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
VinnkSensei said:
1000? I find that very hard to belive. I live is a small Japanese city (60,000 people) and my town has SSVS in 3 of the arcades here. each place has at least 2 carts (so 2 people can play against each other on seperate screens) and the bigger arcade has 4. So that is 8 just in my small town. WIth how many cities are in Japan and the fact that big cities often have entire rows of a new game, 1000 seems too small.

It's 1600 I looked up the official press release a little while back.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
VinnkSensei said:
Do you need 2 carts to hook up 2 cabs back-to-back? I thought that only needed 1 cart and mobo, since there's only one player's stick and buttons on each cab.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
Do you need 2 carts to hook up 2 cabs back-to-back? I thought that only needed 1 cart and mobo, since there's only one player's stick and buttons on each cab.

Yeah, I don't think you can link up motherboards, or SSVS carts - so you must just have to split the video signal and hook the joysticks up to the same board.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
VinnkSensei said:

so, do you think you could score me a kit for a decent price?

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
I am having one hella! a hard time getting one
of the SSVS MVS Kit and it is to damn! expensive
to buy one right now. :(

$500.00 or more when people can probably just beat
the game in one day. :cool:

I don't care about the kit, just the bare MVS Cart. :drool:

I hope in the next few months it will go down in price soon. :cool:

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
I rather buy 4 or 5 MVS Kits for $500.00
which would make a lot of sense. :cool:

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
who cares it sucks anyway. i thought they where gonna improve SSV but its almost the same and the tweaking didnt really help. really dissapointing after having to wait almost 8 years for a new ss in 2d. your better of playing ss2 or 4 or even 3. not to mention the price difference.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
MUSOLINI said:
who cares it sucks anyway. i thought they where gonna improve SSV but its almost the same and the tweaking didnt really help. really dissapointing after having to wait almost 8 years for a new ss in 2d. your better of playing ss2 or 4 or even 3. not to mention the price difference.

i already have the other samurai showdown games. i would like to own them all. and i really like samurai showdown 5. so i'm sure i will like the mvs special.

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
greedostick said:
i already have the other samurai showdown games. i would like to own them all. and i really like samurai showdown 5. so i'm sure i will like the mvs special.
I'm sure you will as well. I know I do.

SouthtownKid said:

That is a really good question. I guess I assumed that since there were 2 cabs you need 2 carts, but I guess one cab could have the hardware and the other is just a "dummy" with a reversed signal. I really don't know much about tech specs.

As fo weather I could pick one up for someone. Well, right now at least the game seems to be doing pretty well in the arcades so I doubt many will be inclined to sell right away, and I really am not sure where to go to buy MVS. AES is easy to find but I havn't seen any MVS dealers. I assume there must be some in Akihabura though.