UniBIOS CRC32?

praedicator

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I'm a huge fan of the Universe BIOS, especially the CRC32 check it can do on carts to verify the ROMs.

My questions is if the CRC32 check will report bootlegged EEPROMs or carts as not good, or can bootlegged carts checksum properly?

I was hoping that I could run CRC32 on all of of my games as a preliminary check to make sure none of them are boots without having to open all of them up and check the ROMs by hand.

Any ideas?

John_Smith

B. Jenet's Firstmate
praedicator said:
I'm a huge fan of the Universe BIOS, especially the CRC32 check it can do on carts to verify the ROMs.

My questions is if the CRC32 check will report bootlegged EEPROMs or carts as not good, or can bootlegged carts checksum properly?

I was hoping that I could run CRC32 on all of of my games as a preliminary check to make sure none of them are boots without having to open all of them up and check the ROMs by hand.

Any ideas?

Hehehe, man if only it were that simple, unfortunately in a lot of cases bootlegged carts will report the same CRC32 results as originals. Obviously there can be numerous different revisions of the same game, but boots tend to be based on one of them. I guess there are exceptions like anything though for example, I have a bootleg copy of Metal Slug (1) and an original and they report identical results!! :oh_no:

Oh and the presence of EPROMs won't make a difference to the results unless the code on them is somehow non-standard.

Cheers man!

PS. I know its frustrating, but there is still no better way to confirm originality than to post pics of the PCBs here or simply be “in tha know” yourself on the nitty gritty of MVS carts. :confused: