Best Shooter on the Neo Geo ???

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I'm thinking about buying a good shooter on the Neo. I am thinking about either Pulstar or Blazing Star. What do you guys think???

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
If I could only own one of the two, I'd have to go with "Blazing Star" over Pulstar. Sure, "Blazing Star" is easier than "Pulstar", but it'll give you a stout challenge provided that you don't cheese out and use more than the alloted amount of credits. The replay factor of Blazing Star is also higher due to the game's multiple ship types. But, as you'll soon see, the "Pulstar vs Blazing Star" issue is very subjective. I'd suggest playing both titles first via emulator and then deciding which one to commit your cash to. Or if possible, buy them both!

You might want to check out this Blazing Star Review that I wrote a long time ago for a now (thankfully) defunct web site.

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
I haven't got a chance to play Blazing Star yet (which sounds like and looks to be the best shooter for the system), but if you're asking for a good shooter in general on the Neo Geo, my vote would have to go to Twinkle Star Sprites. Out of the shooters I own for the Neo Geo (Last Resort, Pulstar, Aero Fighters 2, and TSS), I think TSS is the most fun, and it's got lotsa' replay. Sure, it's dripping with cuteness, but the graphics are big, explosive, colorful, and very well done with plenty of animation. It'll present a low to a high level of challenge (mainly depending on the character you play), plus it makes a good competitive game to play against a friend. It will take a little getting used to because of the puzzle game elements, but once you figure out what to do, it just keeps getting more and more fun.

Thanks,
-Lou-

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
I would have to tip my hat to Blazing Star also. Great game. I also think Aerfighters 2 & 3 are good, solid choices. Pulstar is good, but you have to really enjoy pattern memorization just like the old R-types.
Ghost Pilots is a good shooter, but very frustrating.
-nick_th_fury

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I agree. YOu have to memorize the patterns. It took me a WHILE, but I think I am fairly good at Pulstar now beacuse of it. I honestly can't decide which game is better. Pulstar is more difficult, becauese when you die, you begin at certain point. That's not the case w/ Blazing Star. You can continue at the same point you died yet. Coupled with endless continues, and you get...Anyone can beat it. Blazing star's game play is more faster and chaotic in my opinion. Pulstar is slower and slightly less chaotic. I like Pulstar, because I think it has a slightly better sound and challenging gameplay. Blazing star is my favorite as well, because of its diversity and faster gameplay, and easier (it's still challenging on the godly mode) gameplay.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I forgot to add that I think Pulstar's game play is alot like R-type, and Blazing Star isn't (unless you are playing the Pulstar ship). Some people like R-types, and other's don't because of it's rigidity. All opinions are subjective. It might be a factor in one choosing which is the better ver.

Shawn

snkusa.com
I agree with Lou on Twinkle Star Sprites. The competitive nature of this simultaneous shooter gives it tons of replay. The better you do, the harder the game is for your opponent. The mini bosses are fun and the power ups add to the enjoyment. Wish someone would submit a review of this game.

Strikers 45 is the most impressive shooter in my opinion. Strikers is what Mark of the Wolves is for the fighting games. It’s short, but very enjoyable to me.

Wan-Fu

Galford's Armourer
I have to go with Viewpoint. Its surprising that no one has mentioned this great game so far.

kenshiro9

Crazed MVS Addict
i agree with wan fu, viewpoint is great
and real hard!
but then again i havnt played pulstar/blazing star and they could be a lot better?

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
I would say go for Pulstar. Ignoring its R-Type likeness, it's got incredible visuals, personally I like the music, great control and until you get good at memorizing enemy patterns, incredible difficulty (in the long run, that is). Otherwise it's more difficult than normal but nothing over which you'll rip out your hair. One thing I like is it's more deep-spacey to me, whereas Blazing Star is more planetary, visible in its backgrounds.

If at all possible for you though, I would give top recommendation to Strikers 1945+. It's quite deserving of the title of best shooter on the system.

lemonflav

Windjammers Wonder
20 Year Member
For pure challange-Pulstar
For pure fun- Blazing Star
both games are frik'n awsome!!
I have never seen better 2d
yumminess!!!!!!

lemonflav

Windjammers Wonder
20 Year Member
For pure challange-Pulstar
For pure fun- Blazing Star
both games are frik'n awsome!!
I have never seen better 2d
yumminess!!!!!!

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Come on, someone has to mention LAST RESORT! Pound for pound (meg for meg) one of the awesomest shooters on the system.

Awesome 2 Player simultaneous play (which Pulstar lacks)

John

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Look, I know that a lot of people hate emu, but this is exactly what it is for. You haven't player Pulstar, Blazing Star, Aerofighters 2, 3? You want to pick up a shooter and want the best one for you? DL the emu and the ROMS and check them out. See which one you really want to pick up and buy accordingly. Why spend $450 on Pulstar to get it home and find out it isn't what you really wanted, but Blazing Star sounds so much better so you have to go through the hassle of selling off Pulstar and losing shipping cost (maybe from Japan) and then having to find a Blazing Star for $500? If you just want an honest opinion though I say that Aerofighters 2 is the best vert scrolling shooter on the home cart system (it is even better than 3) and Blazing Star is my favorite horizontal scroller. Pulstar is a straight rip of R-Type with nothing but memorizing patterns at the root of its game play. Blazing Star still has patterns, but it more the twich game where reflexes matter and you have something like 6 ships to choose from. I also think the graphics are better in BS.

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
Come on, someone has to mention LAST RESORT! Pound for pound (meg for meg) one of the awesomest shooters on the system.

Last Resort is good fun, if only for a little while. It's way too easy. I can play through it on one life when I'm in a good frame of mind. Oddly enough, I recall Last Resort receiving low scores by a few of the more prominent game magazines at the time of it's release.

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Its probably alot like Cyber Lip, how the game had unlimited continues and could be beaten in 20-30 minutes. I like more of a challenge then that.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I have a question. Does anyone think that Blazing Star (esp. stage 2) kind of reminds you of Gates of Thunder and Lord of Thunder (w/out the hit the border and you are dead thing.)?

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Originally posted by Asmoday:
If you just want an honest opinion though I say that Aerofighters 2 is the best vert scrolling shooter on the home cart system (it is even better than 3) and Blazing Star is my favorite horizontal scroller.

Before Strikers 1945+, I would have agreed full force. But then Aero Fighters 2 is both more than your money's worth of fun, plus you can get so many different endings, as there are individual ones and different ones for every combination of two players, I'm told. One musn't either forget the choice of 8 jets, which according to my math makes for a total of 36 possibilities of endings, apart from the large variety of aircraft to pit against that stupid, well.., I won't spoil it for you. Now just think of the replay value you can get out of that.

Also of note is that all the stages don't follow a specific pattern. That is, you could start off in Japan, then go to the USA, then the bonus stage, then France, or do them in some other order, chuck in another country, etc. The later stages are in a fixed order as far as I can tell, but don't quote me on that. It's nothing overly special but it's nice as a bit of a change.

Perhaps the best part is that you can get it for only $50 to $100, and it's not too difficult to come across. I got mine sealed last year from a blowout sale for only $49, and I still think that overall it's the best money I've spent on a Neo game. It's also one of the games that compelled me to buy the system.
wink.gif

Choose wisely, and visit Geoshock if need be.

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
Hey how come no one mentioned Zed Blade.It may not be the best but its a cool game.

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
Zed Blade is a watered-down, weak shooter, save for a few noteworthy features; its music being one of those. Overall, I couldn't recommend it as being a "kick arse" shooting game, but one for enthusiasts and collectors only.