My full analysis of KoF:MI found something quite surprising

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
If this doesn't belong here, I'm sorry, but I figured this was a really neat find. Well as I might've said in a couple other topics. KoF MI's sound is in AFS format like a lot of other SNK games which is readible by the application, PSound. Well I've finally gone through all the sounds (about 2,300 total). And the most startling shock I found was that alongside the Japanese voicesets there was a set of Andy samples. It was much lower quality, and straight from the Neo version, but it was there. The bad news is though, I've found that while for battle, the English and Japanese voices are present, the Japanes story and winpose voices are not. But damn I laughed so hard on hearing some of the dub voices.

Migninon: "Mignon is huffy-wuffy"
Athena: "Phew! I'm going to go home, relax, have some tea, and take a nice...long...shower..mmmmmmm." (she actually says it somewhat seductively).

Anyway, here's a list of the sounds I logged in. There's a really strange guy in both afs files both alongside the English and Japanese. I'm guessing Hyena, but then I haven't heard him in Japanese. The numbers are based off PSound's scanning engine if you were to scan the files seperately.

bgm_u.afs (English story mode and winposes)
Music 0-30
Announcer 31-46
Hyena 47-169
Kyo 169-191 (191 seems to be Yuki, but still in Japanese)
Maxima 192-204
K' 205-219
Terry 220-242
Ryo 243-251
Ralf 252-273
Clark 274-285
Chae Lim 286-301
Mai 302-315
Athena 316-334
Yuri 335-350
Iori 351-370
Seth 371-396
Rock 397-412
Leona 413-429
Alba 430-472
Soiree 473-525
Lien 526-546
Mignon 547-581
Duke 582-607
??? (Japanese) 608-621
Announcer 622-625

all.afs (sound effects and battle voices)
Various Sound Effects 0-153
Kyo Japanese Voice 154-185
Maxima Japanese Sound Effects and voice 186-221
K' Japanese Sound and Voice 222-257
Terry Japanese Sound and Voice 258-300
Ryo Japanese Sound and Voice 301-331
Ralf Japanese Sound and Voice 332-370
Clark Japanese Sound and Voice 371-407
Chae Lim Japanese Sound and Voice 408-442
Mai Japanese Sound and Voice 443-484
Athena Japanese Sound and Voice 485-530
Yuri Japanese Sound and Voice 531-572
Iori Japanese Sound and Voice 573-605
Seth Japanese Sound and Voice 606-646
Rock Japanese Sound and Voice 647-691
Leona Japanese Sound and Voice 692-723
Alba Japanese Sound and Voice 724-756
Soiree Japanese Sound and Voice 757-790
Lien Japanese Sound and voice 791-828
Mignon Japanese Sound and voice 829-878
Duke Japanese Sound and voice 879-909
???? 910-927
Andy Neo geo voice samples and old sound effects(11025 Hz) 928-938
Kyo English Sound and voice 939-979
Maxima English Sound and voice 980-1014
K' English Sound and voice 1015-1051
Terry English Sound and voice 1052-1094
Ryo English Sound and voice 1095-1125
Ralf English Sound and Voice 1126-1164
Clark English Sound and voice 1165-1201
Chae Lim English Sound and voice 1202-1236
Mai English Sound and voice 1237-1280
Athena English Sound and Voice 1281-1325
Yuri English Sound and voice 1326-1367
Iori English Sound and voice 1368-1400
Seth English Sound and voice 1401-1441
Rock English Sound and voice 1442-1486
Leona English Sound and voice 1487-1518
Alba English Sound and voice 1519-1551
Soiree English Sound and Voice 1552-1585
Lien English sound and voice 1586-1623
Mignon English Sound and voice 1624-1673
Duke English Sound and voice 1674-1705
????? (same as 910-927) 1706-1723

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
PSound works with MI? I'm all over this!
I could never get it working with anything over the blue bottom discs though. Maybe there's been an update.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
KagerouSama said:
PSound works with MI? I'm all over this!
I could never get it working with anything over the blue bottom discs though. Maybe there's been an update.
Err, what is PSound...?

By the way, my favorite sig ever I think. Greatest Lupin movie of all time...

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
Err, what is PSound...?

By the way, my favorite sig ever I think. Greatest Lupin movie of all time...

PSound is a program that allows users to take sounds off of Playstation titles and convert them to WAV format. Then you can convert them to MP3s and have the BGM available to listen to whenever you want.

PSXMC is my preference of the file rippers, but I'm giving PSound a chance to hear and give this MegaManX-ish music a shot.

I was unaware the Lupin picture was from a movie...just a random Google picture search turning up Gold. BTW, did you ever get a chance to ask Monkey Punch what color sportscoat he's using these days for Lupin? (Sorry to derail the thread. I suppose PMs are in order over the Lupin III business.)

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
KagerouSama said:
PSound is a program that allows users to take sounds off of Playstation titles and convert them to WAV format. Then you can convert them to MP3s and have the BGM available to listen to whenever you want.

PSXMC is my preference of the file rippers, but I'm giving PSound a chance to hear and give this MegaManX-ish music a shot.

I was unaware the Lupin picture was from a movie...just a random Google picture search turning up Gold. BTW, did you ever get a chance to ask Monkey Punch what color sportscoat he's using these days for Lupin? (Sorry to derail the thread. I suppose PMs are in order over the Lupin III business.)

Can you guys try and run it through PSPicture too? Just to see if theres any cool art on there?

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
Can you guys try and run it through PSPicture too? Just to see if theres any cool art on there?
I'm running PSPicture right now and getting a little of nothing. I'm also just getting the ASPI drivers to get PSound to work. This could take a little bit, but if I find anything from either program I'll see about sharing the wealth.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
The AFS format is actually a packing/compressing method, not a sound format.

Anyway, the files inside the AFS files, what is their format? ADX?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
KagerouSama said:
It's from the first Lupin movie, currently called "the Secret of Mamo". It's an ad in a comic book the President of the United States is reading. (too lazy for pm)

About this PSound thing...does it run only on PC, or also on Mac?

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
About this PSound thing...does it run only on PC, or also on Mac?
I'm running on PC. I'm not sure if there's a Mac version. Let me check.

Edit:
No dice. Program is Win 32 compatible only. If you want what files I can get off it though, we can see about arranging some sort of snail-mail for you to receive the sounds.

Note, the first few fifty tracks on the sound effects has to be the most birdcalls in a videogame since Sammy's Turkey Hunter.

Last edited:

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Yeow. I left MusicMatch running last night to convert to MP3. So, now I have a smaller huge chunk of files on my PC. How big is it? Big enough where windows game me a memory error when I asked.

I'll be using Cain Highwind's guide above to break 'em up into smaller folders. Many thanks to him, btw. He's done a lot of work breaking the tracks apart.

Okay, so looking at the folder it's 70.9MBs of space. Ouch.
But for the sound effects n' such they'd be useful for anyone wanting to make desktop themes or radio effects.

I evidently goofed on the Andy effects, because they're overclocked--and I don't really care to go back and change the rate to resample them to where he doesn't sound like a chipmonk. Chipmonk Andy will forever stay as he is on my PC.

Still, interesting to listen to. And for those wondering, PSPicture found nothing on the disc at all.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
KagerouSama said:
Yeow. I left MusicMatch running last night to convert to MP3. So, now I have a smaller huge chunk of files on my PC. How big is it? Big enough where windows game me a memory error when I asked.

I'll be using Cain Highwind's guide above to break 'em up into smaller folders. Many thanks to him, btw. He's done a lot of work breaking the tracks apart.

Okay, so looking at the folder it's 70.9MBs of space. Ouch.
But for the sound effects n' such they'd be useful for anyone wanting to make desktop themes or radio effects.

I evidently goofed on the Andy effects, because they're overclocked--and I don't really care to go back and change the rate to resample them to where he doesn't sound like a chipmonk. Chipmonk Andy will forever stay as he is on my PC.

Still, interesting to listen to. And for those wondering, PSPicture found nothing on the disc at all.
Did you get music tracks, or just sound effects?

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
Did you get music tracks, or just sound effects?
Both. I've been listening through them for nearly two hours and haven't heard quite everything yet. And there appear to be a lot of sounds that don't show up in normal gameplay. Then, I haven't finished mission mode...but I haven't seen a lot of story in Mission mode either.

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
Yeah when reading all.afs, I pretty much jumped through all the sound effects until I found the voices. I didn't think there'd be much interesting things there.

I'm still trying the various Image reading programs I have to see if there's anything rippable, but so far, no luck.

Oh yeah and it seems Kyo and Iori both have a sound fiile of higher than 22KhZ Quality, I'm going to resample it, to see what it is.