KOF MI commercial insults its roots

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I just saw the TV ad for KOF MI on G4, and I don't care for what I saw. It shows a Paper Mario like Ryo working out (with poorly done, 2 frame animation), and then Terry comes in and asks if he's working out because of the new 3d KOF coming out. It was, in my opinion, a slap in the face and a mockery of the old KOFs. Anyone see this yet?

To hell with 3D KOFs, that's what I say. If they're going to insult the old ones in the process? Pfft.

Spike

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Relax Spike...

a) there's a very good chance that the ad was designed, created, and produced by an independent advertising agency, not any sort of internal SNKP advertsing division. SNKPUSA says 'we'd like an ad', ad agency X says 'here ya go', and the end result is what you see on your TV. It's not as if Kawasaki himself decided that 3D is now the wave of the future, and created the North American ad to spread his new gospel, while at the same time mock the history of 2D KOF

b) it's supposed to be funny and catchy. Something to appeal to new and old gamers alike

c) at least there's an ad, and an SNKP to pay for the ad, and a game to advertise

d) people are getting blown up in various countries in different parts of the world. They're not really concerned if TV ads for 3D video games insult the past by mocking 2D games, they're more worried about their next meal and not getting blown up. Luckily, none of the posters here are in any danger of starving to death or exploding, so we might want to appreciate the fun things we have (ie video games, ads for video games, not getting blown up, and food) instead of being insulted by them

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Everyone here needs a big ole block of cheese.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
Everyone here needs a big ole block of cheese.

Agreed. People here need to learn how to relax and not freak out over every little thing snk does. I thought it was funny as hell. It was a surprise to see somthing from SNK on tv at all.

nothingxs

King's Dry Cleaner
Calm the fuck down. It's a joke. Why are you taking shit like that seriously, anyways?

Spike23

Ninja Combat Warrior
i actually thought the commercial was funny. it took a jab at 2D games in a pretty funny way. no harm, no foul.

learn to take a joke.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Yeah, it was kind of a diss to 2D, but it was all done in good fun. Like others said, its nice to see a SNK commercial in the US again.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
NeoTurfMasta said:
Like others said, its nice to see a SNK commercial in the US again.
I've been wanting to ask this since last night: have their been TV advertisements for SNK games in the U.S. before this one? I couldn't think of one, but then again my memory's been pretty apalling in recent years. Just wondering if someone could give me a refresher.

--Chris

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Dash no Chris said:
I've been wanting to ask this since last night: have their been TV advertisements for SNK games in the U.S. before this one? I couldn't think of one, but then again my memory's been pretty apalling in recent years. Just wondering if someone could give me a refresher.

--Chris
"Get 'pocket power' with SNK's new NeoGeo Pocket-Color!..."

I think Nesagwa had it hosted on his old site.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
DanAdamKOF said:
"Get 'pocket power' with SNK's new NeoGeo Pocket-Color!..."

I think Nesagwa had it hosted on his old site.

Yeah use to. I still have my whole site on my computer at my house to put somehwere again. Both versions too.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Wow, some people get pissy over anything these days. While I can see your frustration, it's just a commercial. It's an SNK game getting some advertising here in the U.S. You tell me the last SNK produced game that got a commercial on national T.V.? I can't remember one off the top of my head. "Insulting its roots" is a bit overkill. Chill out and be thankful there is any commercial at all.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Spike Spiegel said:
I just saw the TV ad for KOF MI on G4, and I don't care for what I saw. It shows a Paper Mario like Ryo working out (with poorly done, 2 frame animation), and then Terry comes in and asks if he's working out because of the new 3d KOF coming out. It was, in my opinion, a slap in the face and a mockery of the old KOFs. Anyone see this yet?

To hell with 3D KOFs, that's what I say. If they're going to insult the old ones in the process? Pfft.

Spike

Well, I haven't seen the ad, but from what you explain I don't see why it has to insult the old KoFs. So Ryo is training because there's a new 3D kof ahead. No big deal. I bet he does the same when the regular KoFs come too.
Let's face it, the big new thing of this game is the 3D, so it's normal they mention it in the ad.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
Well, I haven't seen the ad, but from what you explain I don't see why it has to insult the old KoFs. So Ryo is training because there's a new 3D kof ahead. No big deal. I bet he does the same when the regular KoFs come too.
Let's face it, the big new thing of this game is the 3D, so it's normal they mention it in the ad.

I guess you're missing the point. They look like shit, move like shit, and overall make fun of 2D sprites.

I was just making a point. 2D's dead, and now we're making fun of it in ads. Just a sad day when an SNK ad makes fun of 2D. That's all.

Spike

SNZero

Mr. Big's Thug
Spike Spiegel said:
2D's dead, and now we're making fun of it in ads. Just a sad day when an SNK ad makes fun of 2D. That's all.

Spike

2D is not dead, never will be, theres plenty of 2D (or atleast 2D style games) out and comming out in the future.

2D forever

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
SNZero said:
2D is not dead, never will be, theres plenty of 2D (or atleast 2D style games) out and comming out in the future.

2D forever

AMEN!

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
It is good to see Ryo and Terry on TV though...

Spike23

Ninja Combat Warrior
Amano Jacu said:

as someone else mentioned, i think you missed the point. Ryo is shown as a 2-D drawing on paper while lifting weights. Terry comes in all 3-D asking him if he's training for the new 3-D KOF.

get it? got it? good.

trust me on one thing though.......it's a HELLUVA lot funnier watching it than trying to make heads or tails from our posts about it.

it's funny, plain and simple.

Alex0916

Bling kills, but...,
I want to see this commercial can someone host it or post a link to it?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
hey its an SNK game commercial, getting airtime on TV....I'm happy