Neobitz Component / S-Video / Composite Board

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
My production of boards have shupped and I should have my boards in hand mid next week.

This board takes RGB/Sync and outputs Component, S-Video, and Composite video. If you're interested in one, feel free to contact me at jmkurtz@columbus.rr.com. As soon as the boards get in, I will get my site (www.neobitz.com) updated with more info and pictures.

To see what a decked out Neo look likes : http://www.neobitz.com/mods.png

I have a few of the test run boards on hand for those that want this *now*.

Thanks,
Jeff

omnedon

Astra Superstar
Very cool stuff.

If you want the ultimate and final audio and video solution for an AES, this is it.

If Jeff is behind it, I have the utmost belief it is the finest solution available.

SSS

neo retired
Cool, could this be a replacement for a supergun video converter as well? I'm eventually looking to upgrade my nova's video.

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
A few questions:

What will be price be?

How does the composite out compare to the latest Jrok?

What are the dimensions of the board?

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
I will be wanting one of these when you get the board Jeff! This guy does great work folks. Great!

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Until I can sell some of these to bring the price down, the opening price is $115. I'm hoping to get that down to $99 (or less) in a few months by buying the necessary parts in larger qty -- but I can't do that without selling some boards first.

I don't have a JROK to compare with so I can't give you a direct answer. In fact, I don't have any other encoder to compare against as none of them offered component video.

The composite, in my test, is pretty good, but that is on an AES -- with Component and S-Video, who really cares about composite. :) We debated about adding it, but decided to include it since the cost would be minimal once implemented. It uses the AD724 video encoder.

Plus, a bonus to AES3-6 board owneres -- the board that everyone hates, the vertical pixel gaps are gone. So no more fearing high serail numbers, etc...

The board is 2.45 x 2.45.

Jeff

Orochi Iori Y said:
A few questions:

What will be price be?

How does the composite out compare to the latest Jrok?

What are the dimensions of the board?

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
It takes RGB/Composite Sync as input, so it should work for supergun devices. My testing has only been on MVS and AES boards. I need to get some jamma boards to do some more thesting... It will be good to get some feedback from people that build superguns with them with various arcade boards. I know one guy I am working with will be doing just this (building superguns).

It's primarily made for the Neo, but could have many uses.

Jeff

SamuraiShodownSensei said:
Cool, could this be a replacement for a supergun video converter as well? I'm eventually looking to upgrade my nova's video.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Jeff, I'm very happy that you have the expertise to give the community such a fantastic mod.

/me tips my hat to Jeff.

When I have time I'll be getting mine done.

BTW - Jeff is the most reliable mod man on these boards, charges almost nothing compared to the competition.

Thanks!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Good to see the encoder is comming along...

I'd get one but I don't have a TV with Color Diff Composite.

Boards I'd like to see the setup tested with:

Early 90's taito (thunderfox - JROK has Bad COlors)
Early Jamma Capcom (Street Fighter I- JROK is B&W)
Snes Super System (JROK has Bad COlors)
Midway MK boards (Uses a different Sync)
Mid 90's Atari Boards: (primal rage and Pit Fighter have bad colors on JROK)

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
Props man, that's incredible.

By the way, in that picture, do i see an optical audio out?

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Optical Audio out on a Neo?

Good GOD man.

Major props though, tis sweet. :D

Curt

apostate
NeoGML said:
Props man, that's incredible.

By the way, in that picture, do i see an optical audio out?

Indeed.

Jeff is offering Digital Audio out via Coaxial, AND Toslink!

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
JMKurtz said:
I don't have a JROK to compare with so I can't give you a direct answer. In fact, I don't have any other encoder to compare against as none of them offered component video.

The composite, in my test, is pretty good, but that is on an AES -- with Component and S-Video, who really cares about composite. :) We debated about adding it, but decided to include it since the cost would be minimal once implemented. It uses the AD724 video encoder.

I guess I'll have to wait till there are some others that get ahold of one to compare the composite to that of the Jrok. It does matter to me as if it is better than the Jrok as I would be more likely to replace the Jrok I have with this if it was... for my consolized mvs... :D Looking forward to some comparisons and the size of the board this is on too... :D

Makismo

Ghost of Captain Kidd
JHendrix said:
Optical Audio out on a Neo?

Good GOD man.

Major props though, tis sweet. :D

What is optical audio? I know that !Arcade! added a special sound and video board to their Neo Geo units back in 2002 for $199 plus shipping (I ended up paying $275 for the mod shipped). It came with another power supply to run the amplified audio card, a debug BIOS, and the new video card also enhanced the RGB output. The S-Video is very good using the new hardware (in 2002 it was new that is). It looks even better using my $50 Monster S-Video cable.

I was wondering how much better Jeff Kurtz' modification is compared to !Arcade!'s Ultra Modification. Does he bypass the Neo Geo's graphic and sound processor with his new board like !Arcade!'s Ultra modification board did? I remembered there being some glitches in certain games like Crossed Swords with the !Arcade! modification. Has Jeff Kurtz tested all games with his new graphic and encoder? Thanks for your time and I hope to hear your thoughts on this issue. :drool:

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
I've got one of Jeff's prototype boards and I've begun testing it with MVS boards. Not to much testing done yet, but one thing seems certain. The composite seems much clearer than the JROK output.

More testing coming from my end in the near future

JAMMASLOT

Crossed Swords Squire
Nice work, can we have more pictures?
Do you think adpcm audio need an optical output?
Do you use quartz or CMOS oscillator?

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
D-Lite said:
I've got one of Jeff's prototype boards and I've begun testing it with MVS boards. Not to much testing done yet, but one thing seems certain. The composite seems much clearer than the JROK output.

More testing coming from my end in the near future

That is good news. The main problem I have with my Jrok is the fact that there is so much dot crawl. Is there any improvement in this with the this new encoder? If so I'll be happy to pick one of these up even though it has been less than a year since I bought a Jrok. Sort of feel lame being concerned with composite, but my main TV doesn't have S-vid or component and I don't want buy a non HDTV and don't want to buy a HDTV till the price comes down. :D

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Quartz crystal...

I'll post some more pics once the shiny new boards come in (Wednesday?). All I have at the moment are a couple of the test run boards.

About adpcm to digital audio... Well, is any mod really necessary? Nah, you can still enjoy the Neo without mods, but if there is a way to enhance that enjoyment, then why not? No matter what you do though, you're not going to get 5.1 positional audio out of the Neo.

Jeff

JAMMASLOT said:
Nice work, can we have more pictures?
Do you think adpcm audio need an optical output?
Do you use quartz or CMOS oscillator?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
JMKurtz said:
No matter what you do though, you're not going to get 5.1 positional audio out of the Neo.

hmm..

Doesn't it just separate positional stereo ( left and right speakers ) ? Or will it just play the same output in every speaker ?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
D-Lite said:

If you can, test it also with some non-MVS arcade boards: the results you'll get with MVS will be the same as those you'd get with AES as the RGB input is exactly the same once the AES proprietary encoder is bypassed: that's why the RGB on the later AES3-6 is just as good as that of the earlier NEO AES (and identical to that of MVS).

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Yes, more testing with other arcade boards will need to be done as not all boards follow the same rules. As I'm pretty much just a Neo guy, I don't have any other arcade boards to test on. I've been toying with the idea of getting an Atomiswave though.

Jeff

MKL said:
If you can, test it also with some non-MVS arcade boards: the results you'll get with MVS will be the same as those you'd get with AES as the RGB input is exactly the same once the AES proprietary encoder is bypassed: that's why the RGB on the later AES3-6 is just as good as that of the earlier NEO AES (and identical to that of MVS).