KOF New Wave impressions

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
After banging away at KOF New Wave at the AMOA expo, I've got this to report.

A) The new Heat mode is cool.

B) The stock Atomiswave joysticks blow

C) The new fighting system is fucking weird.

D) The stock atomis wave joysticks blow.

E) The sprites they use for this game better not be the new sprites for KOF Rebout.

F) Have I ever said how bad the Atomiswave sticks are?

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
tai tai said:
After banging away at KOF New Wave at the AMOA expo, I've got this to report.

A) The new Heat mode is cool.

B) The stock Atomiswave joysticks blow

C) The new fighting system is fucking weird.

D) The stock atomis wave joysticks blow.

E) The sprites they use for this game better not be the new sprites for KOF Rebout.

"Neo Wave"

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
shaddup. I'm dead tired.

Besides, I'm sure I saw New Wave on the cab...

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I already got teh rom for $50 shipped. No bullshit lie. My dick fells out.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
PM sent! :multi_co: No wait... :spock: Did you actually pay for TEH ROMZ? :annoyed:

Yeah sad story. It's all teh elitists fault, you know. Those evil people not wanting to share with teh community teh good and all teh shit... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Shito said:
I already got teh rom for $50 shipped. No bullshit lie. My dick fells out.

While I don't approve of rom usage, I'm glad that the dick fell out as little girls around the world are now safer.

Oh, and Neo Wave blows.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
While I don't approve of rom usage, I'm glad that the dick fell out as little girls around the world are now safer.

But no way to save your brain, huh? That's too bad I guess...

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
people are fucking weird,alright

neowave is 2002 with a few different characters

and new stuff

just defended and the UBER COOL supercancel mode

but nooo

they praise 2002 but think neowave sucks

and they never even played the game

ok,the 3d bgs are lame

the art is lame

etc etc

who cares

its always kof,and its a blast to play

oh well

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Id like to give this one a whirl but my 5 local arcades have othing but dedicated cabs, all driving, shooting or "other". :crying:

Twinkle Star

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Yup nobody would care even if KOF Neowave looks like KOF 2002,at least its a KOF Game!! :buttrock:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Fran said:
people are fucking weird,alright

neowave is 2002 with a few different characters

and new stuff

just defended and the UBER COOL supercancel mode

but nooo

they praise 2002 but think neowave sucks

and they never even played the game

ok,the 3d bgs are lame

the art is lame

etc etc

who cares

oh well

The art is HORRIBLE. The BGs are HORRIBLE. The joystick button layout sucks.
Those three things I just cannot avoid. The character portraits downright stink. As for the rest, there's nothing new. It's 2k2 with a few bells, whistles, and huge downgrades. No thank you.

Spike

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
The art is HORRIBLE. The BGs are HORRIBLE. The joystick button layout sucks.
Those three things I just cannot avoid. The character portraits downright stink. As for the rest, there's nothing new. It's 2k2 with a few bells, whistles, and huge downgrades. No thank you.

Seconded. And oh, yeah, the characters selection kinda sucks a s well.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Shito said:
Seconded. And oh, yeah, the characters selection kinda sucks a s well.
I think once you unlock the hidden characters, the only 2002 characters missing are Angel, Mei Lee and K9999 (and Rugal, thank heavens). Not so horrible. I mostly need Vanessa and Ramon to be happy.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Spike you better change your mind on this. Don't make me be alone in siding with Fran. :(

PLAY THE GAME FIRST BEFORE YOU CONDEMN IT!

I mean geeze, it'll be $40 on PS2 when it finnally comes out and we can play it. It's KOF, it'll be fun, it'll be worth whatever price they're going to end up charging for it.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Fran said:
who cares

oh well

No it's not. Might as well play KOF 02 then as it has the better artwork, backrounds and presentation. Face it Fran, with this installmant KOF may have finally gotten a bit stale.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
ORPHEUS said:
No it's not. Might as well play KOF 02 then as it has the better artwork, backrounds and presentation. Face it Fran, with this installmant KOF may have finally gotten a bit stale.
I love '02, but it's backgrounds and presentation are nothing to write home about either (although I like Mexico and Italy stages). I haven't heard Neowave's music, obviously, but I'd be downright shocked if it's worse or even as bad as '02's. Luckily, '02 is a great game anyway. Great enough that if Neowave is similar, I'll wait until I play it some before writing it off completely. That is, if it ever comes here.

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
It'll be worth it when I can play it NOT ON A SHITTY SAMMY CAB WITH SHITTY SAMMY STICKS AT A TRADE SHOW.

other than that. it's :buttrock:

fatal fury fan #2

Duck King's DJ
taitai said:
It'll be worth it when I can play it NOT ON A SHITTY SAMMY CAB WITH SHITTY SAMMY STICKS AT A TRADE SHOW.

other than that. it's :buttrock:

any pics and was today the last day of the show

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
JHendrix said:
Spike you better change your mind on this. Don't make me be alone in siding with Fran. :(

hey,do i smell now or something?

its not like i have AIDS and its a cardinal sin to agree with something i say...

i understand that people into the neo but without many friends into kof

find the series stale,boring,etc

hell,every fighting game is boring,stale,etc if you dont have human competition...

lets blame it on the lack of challengers,not on the kof series itself...

luckily enough,i have a bunch of people around me that play kof

so we're always playing in vs and we're always trying to improve etc etc

so for me :

a new kof = good news

unless its a shitty 3d one like MI,of course

JHendrix

Fran said:
hey,do i smell now or something?

its not like i have AIDS and its a cardinal sin to agree with something i say...

i understand that people into the neo but without many friends into kof

find the series stale,boring,etc

hell,every fighting game is boring,stale,etc if you dont have human competition...

lets blame it on the lack of challengers,not on the kof series itself...

luckily enough,i have a bunch of people around me that play kof

so we're always playing in vs and we're always trying to improve etc etc

so for me :

a new kof = good news

unless its a shitty 3d one like MI,of course

I was being sarcastic my lovable double spaced friend. :D

Yeah playing KOF is hard when you don't have a lot of people into it. When my buddies aren't over I can only stand the single player for like 15 minutes before I get bored. :(

Now you know why I'm like "OMG OMG OMG KOF2k2 XBOX LIVE!!!!!"

Cause I can play incredible people like SonGohan who'll kick my ass and make me learn more. It'll be good like CvS2 is right now, except it'll be KOF which is incredible because I play CvS2 too much now because it's the only fighter I can get a lot of people to play against.

Wondering though, you going to get NeoWave/NGBC? They are only going to be on PS2, unless you buy an Atomiswave.

PS. Please don't hate on KOF:MI. :p

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Okay, JHendrix, you're right. I'll wait until I play it. Based on what I've seen, I just can't get excited. And Southtown Kid, I actually like the music in KOF02. Now , 2k1's music? Blech! I tried to get into that music, and I just couldn't. I even downloaded MP3s of it before buying my aes copy, and I still couldn't get into it...

The button layout still stinks. I still hate the art, and I am not all that excited that not a single frame of animation was added to anyone except for maybe Geese. But, we'll see. Everyone here knows how much I love KOF, and maybe that's why I've got the bad attitude towards it. I am not anti-Atomiswave, that's for sure.

We'll see,
Spike

JHendrix

Spike Spiegel said:
Okay, JHendrix, you're right. I'll wait until I play it. Based on what I've seen, I just can't get excited. And Southtown Kid, I actually like the music in KOF02. Now , 2k1's music? Blech! I tried to get into that music, and I just couldn't. I even downloaded MP3s of it before buying my aes copy, and I still couldn't get into it...

The button layout still stinks. I still hate the art, and I am not all that excited that not a single frame of animation was added to anyone except for maybe Geese. But, we'll see. Everyone here knows how much I love KOF, and maybe that's why I've got the bad attitude towards it. I am not anti-Atomiswave, that's for sure.

We'll see,
Spike

We're in a similar boat. I love KOF2k2, I think even more than 98 now. So if Neowave is based off of 2k2's gameplay, I think I'm going to like it. The added modes for stuff is awesome, IMO.

I'm someone who loves what Capcom did in CVS2 w/ the grooves so adding it to a KOF is good IMO.

Of course I'm not too keen on the graphics, I don't care much about BG's I'm more interested in the sprites, but meh I don't play KOF because I think it looks so uber good. So if they manage to add good gameplay features to a KOF engine I already love, I'm actually pretty psyched about the game.

Oh and I love the roster, especially when Kim is unlocked. :D

So to recap:

Good roster
Based off great gameplay engine
New SNK styled groove system

Yar, me wants Neowave. All I need is for NCSX to put the pre-order up...:drool_2:

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
JHendrix said:
We're in a similar boat. I love KOF2k2, I think even more than 98 now. So if Neowave is based off of 2k2's gameplay, I think I'm going to like it. The added modes for stuff is awesome, IMO.

I'm someone who loves what Capcom did in CVS2 w/ the grooves so adding it to a KOF is good IMO.

Of course I'm not too keen on the graphics, I don't care much about BG's I'm more interested in the sprites, but meh I don't play KOF because I think it looks so uber good. So if they manage to add good gameplay features to a KOF engine I already love, I'm actually pretty psyched about the game.

Oh and I love the roster, especially when Kim is unlocked. :D

So to recap:

Good roster
Based off great gameplay engine
New SNK styled groove system

Yar, me wants Neowave. All I need is for NCSX to put the pre-order up...:drool_2:

the fact that saishuu is a playable charafcter = hotness for me. I'm wondering though, if the control problems(I can't seem to do a QCF movement to save my life on the demo machines) I keep bitching about is a matter of the actual joystick, or the game system? Time will tell, I guess.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
The game looks like shit. SHIT. This is KOF 2001 mentality.

First off, from the vids I've seen, the gameplay is ROCKIN. After readin remu's post about this. *98 speed with some newer KOF chars* I gotta be involved.
The styles of play are pretty much identical to 98 and 2002 are also present (Pay attn to the joe players) I have no problem with this, since those two games get more play from me then any other fighters I have currently.

I also have almost all the match vids on my external hdd for this game, so feel free to AIM me at LWKSNK for the vids.

Choi looks like hes still a pain in this, but thats nothing new.
I like having Jhun in a KOF thats not tag or striker based. This is good. Tapping is back, no more stupid 2003 shit.

Music loops weird to. Its like each track restarts per round, this is annoying.
This game is gonna be good competitively. I think alot of nay sayers will change there views when they give it a whirl. I am as surprised as the next guy that this game has a good flow. Believe me when I say that.